Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL in General.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpool=Champs

Dec 11, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Panthers got robbed

I have to agree with you Jimmy the Rangers definetly walked away from this deal laughing. Pavel is a wanker but the nonetheless he will help New York make the playoffs. The Canucks are gonna beat the Rangers 5-2 tonight and Bure will be shutdown.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Philly not only gave up alot of picks for Adam Oates they gave up a great goalie prospect in Maxime Oullete (sp). I think the Caps feel they wont make the playoffs and are gonna have to look forward to next year. There was also a report that the only reason Philly wanted Oates was becuase Jeremy Roenick could be out for a long time with a knee injury.

Other News:Columbus' Lyle Odelein to Chicago for Spacek and a pick

Juri Slegr of Atlanta to Detroit for Juri Butsayev and 3rd rounder.

Ray Ferraro to the Blues while Atlanta gets a draft pick

And the mighty HABS picked up french Goaltending Sensation Stephane Fiset from the Kings for a conditional draft Pick. What a steal:rolleyes:

rickshaw

Mar 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sabres' Cup hopes

Associated Press - Buffalo

The Buffalo Sabres are now a lock for a trip to the Finals, after their acquistion of Bob Corkum today. The Sabres gave up a hefty price though, sending a 5th round draft pick for the cagey veteran.
Long time Sabres fan, Rickshaw, had a lot of input in this deal, spending countless hours on the line with Sabres' GM Darcy Reiger.
"We looked at other players, the Tom Poti's, the Mike York's, the Adam Oates, but in the end, we felt Bob Corkum was just the ingredient we had been missing," said Reiger. "We're excited about our chances."
In the end, the Sabres got their man, and are now destined to challenge once again, for the Stanley Cup!

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
shocker....

Niewendyk and Langenbrunner to the Devils for Arnott and McKay.

Ever get the feeling some teams trade on deadline day just because they can?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pavel fallout

From TSN:

(Mar 20) tsn.ca - There were not a lot of tears shed by Florida Panthers players following Pavel Bure's trade to the New York Rangers on Monday.

Several current and former teammates say the Russian Rocket left them disappointed, betrayed, showed very little leadership and was not always committed to the team and winning.

Bill Lindsay, who was claimed off waivers by Montreal during Tuesday's trade deadline, says playing with Bure this season was "disappointing".

"Ten million dollars, I expected more from him," Lindsay tells the Florida Sun-Sentinel. "He's a guy playing 30 minutes a night, and if I’m going to bust my b--- playing eight minutes a night — look, I’m not the best player in the world, but I’m going to damn well try hard. And I’ve got to come and watch a guy that makes $30 million come to the rink last and leave first. I was slightly disappointed. Not slightly, I was disappointed. He’s our leader and if he’s with us and helping us, we jell and we’re winning more hockey games."

Lindsay added that while Bure was "not a bad guy off the ice", he did not do enough on the ice to justify his salary.

Goaltender Trevor Kidd says anyone who questions the decision to trade Bure should spend five minutes in the Panthers lockerroom to see that the team did the right thing.

"Everybody that’s been around him knows what he brings to a team. That’s goals and that’s it. A lot of people probably won’t understand if you just look at the goals, but if you have a guy making that much money, there has to be other things involved than just putting the puck in the net. Look around the league at guys making that kind of money. Joe Sakic, Paul Kariya, they’re solid goal scorers, but they offer so much more to the team."

Defenseman Olli Jokinen agreed that Bure might not have been the best influence on a team with young players looking for leadership.

"When I was in Los Angeles, we had Rob Blake, " Jokinen tells the newspaper. "I used to go to the rink two hours before practice and I'd see Blake in the weight room every time. For Pavel, he’s the first to leave practice. It’s not a big deal to me, but my first year, I looked up to guys like Blake on and off the ice. So I don’t think Pavel was a perfect example maybe for the younger guys."

Bure, who made his debut with the Rangers Tuesday night, said everyone is entitled to their opinion.

"I’ve played with big stars like Mark Messier, and we’re still friends," Bure is quoted as saying. "I care about what he has to say because he’s Mark Messier. Look at where this is coming from."

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
not that there's anything wrong with that

I’ve played with big stars like Mark Messier, and we’re still friends," Bure is quoted as saying. "I care about what he has to say because he’s Mark Messier. Look at where this is coming from.
So the rumours are true :rolleyes:

~TB.

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pavel

I think it will be interesting to see how Pavel responds to Sather, Lindros, Messier and that bunch. Will he step up or will he get caught up in the NY scene ala Esa Tikkanen. He will have no leadership role on that team, so maybe he can focus on the only thing he brings to the table

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gino Odjick is a wank.

(Mar 26) tsn.ca - Montreal Canadiens forward Gino Odjick will be looking to exact some revenge against Florida goaltender Trevor Kidd when the two teams face each other tonight.

Odjick was not impressed with some of the disparaging remarks Kidd made last week following the trade of his friend, Pavel Bure, to the New York Rangers. Kidd was one of several outspoken Florida players who questioned Bure's character and leadership during his time with the Panthers.

Odjick, who spent eight years as Bure's teammate with the Vancouver Canucks, says Kidd dishonoured both he and Bure with his remarks.

"I respect everyone on the Florida team, especially (coach) Mike Keenan. They all have a free pass, except for Kidd," Odjick told the Montreal Gazette. "When he yaps and criticizes Pavel, he's dishonouring me and my son (who is named after Bure)."

Odjick says he has spent the past week shooting at watermelons because, "that's the size of (Kidd's) head".

"I figure to get 10 minutes of ice (against the Panthers)," said Odjick. "That means I should be good for three shots. And I was hitting the melon often last week."

Late this morning, perhaps sensing a storm brewing, the Panthers opted to give Kidd the night off. Wade Flaherty will get his first start of the year in Kidd's place.

Still, Odjick's remarks are not likely to be lost on Panthers' enforcer Peter Worrell, who currently leads the league in penalty minutes.
What a fcuking idiot. Odjick should keep his yap shut, and let his little buddy fight his own battles. I could see if they played on the same team, but that's just stupid. Oh wait. Gino isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer is he? Now it makes sense.:rolleyes:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Downhill

Whatever happened to the days where players would race to get 50 in 50? Although I don't doubt that he will, I sincerely hope Iginla gets 50 to maintain a bit of sanity in present-day hockey.
NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE GOALS LEADERS
THROUGH WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3RD

NAME TEAM GP G
------------------------- ---------- -- ---
Jarome Iginla CGY 76 47
Peter Bondra WAS 72 39
Mats Sundin TOR 76 38
Bill Guerin BOS 72 37
Daniel Alfredsson OTT 73 37
Brendan Shanahan DET 76 37
Eric Daze CHI 76 36
Glen Murray BOS 76 35
Keith Tkachuk STL 67 34
Mike Modano DAL 72 34
Markus Naslund VAN 76 34
Eric Lindros NYR 67 33
Todd Bertuzzi VAN 67 32
Simon Gagne PHI 74 32
Alexei Yashin NYI 76 32
Mike Comrie EDM 77 32
Miroslav Satan BUF 77 32
Keepwhowishestherewassomewayofcreatingtablesintheseforums

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hart Trophy

Apr. 10, 2002 - John Garrett
Jarome Iginla continues to be the story for the Calgary Flames. The forward gained some confidence during the Canadian Olympic team orientation camp and continued to grow from there, getting better as the year progressed.

He is going to win the Art Ross Trophy and the Rocket Richard Trophy, the only question is whether he is going to win the Hart. The only other players who should be given equal consideration for the NHL’s most valuable player award is the Montreal Canadiens’ Jose Theodore and the Colorado Avalanche’s Patrick Roy.
And what about Markus Naslund? After Vancouver's drop to the NHL basement, Naslund led the Canucks to the playoffs (a virtual impossiblity before January) while becoming arguably the hottest team since Christmas, and finished 2nd overall in scoring. Not too shabby for a guy coming off a broken leg. I can understand Iginila winning it, but for Naslund not even to be nominated? Come on.

Thoughts?

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The TA report

I can understand Iginila winning it, but for Naslund not even to be nominated? Come on.

Are you fcuked in the head? How could you understand Iginla winning it? He is not even considered the favorite. The only reason he is up there is because of all the points he has. He plays every fcukin minute of the game for the flames and he double shifts on powerplays and the whole focus of the rest of the team is to get him the puck. He is a great player but with out the Flames making the playoffs he should NOT win the award.

Patrick Roy is the greatest goalie ever. He had an amazing season and kept Colorado going when the couldn't put the puck in the net. But he does have a good team in front of him especially on the backline and he could be passed up on this award.

I am a HABS fan so take this how you want....Jose Theodore has been the most Valuable Player in the league this year. Without him the HABS would have finished with the same record as the Thrashers. He has almost identical numbers to Patrick Roy and has played on a much weaker team. Not giving the award to him would be a bunch of BS.

Marcus Naslund is also a great player, but don't forget about the other guy that plays with him. Todd Bertuzzi has played just as much or even more of a role in getting the Canucks to the post season. It's hard to pick only three guys but Iginla , Roy and Theodore have been the most valuable this year and they all deserve to be nominated ahead of Naslund.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apprentice...come on!

You are an ardent hockey fan; you should know that the Hart is usually given to the most outstanding player in the league most of the time. That usually means whomever has proven by his stats to play head and shoulders better than everyone else. The definition, "Most Valuable to his Team", does not stipulate the team needs to make the playoffs. The other way this could be spun is to say that without Iginla, the Flames would have never gotten out to such a hot start, and would never have been in the hunt (as they were for 3/4 of the season).

The only times I can remember the Hart not being given to the most outstanding player was when Gretz beat out Lemieux, even though Lemieux out-pointed him by a fair margin (can't remember year...1991?), and when Messier won it, despite finishing second or third in the scoring race (I believe that was 1990).

Iginla: the scoring leader by a fair margin, and the only player to hit 50 goals by a fair margin. In my opinion, it is a no-brainer who should win. Wifebeater Roy and Jose Theodore both had outstanding seasons, but not quite up to Iginla's level.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Appy

Theodore has had a great season as has Roy... Iginila has been the MVP on his team and in the League!!! Numbers speak louder than words... however playing on a Western Canadian team his chances of actually being awarded the prize are slim...
Remember 1988/89 season??? OK Appy you were only 2, but I'm sure the grandparents have told you the story... Trevor Linden had a stellar rookie campaign, but he was never really given a chance to win because Brian Leetch played in New York... Granted Leetch had a great season also, there was still no chance for Trev to win the award, because of where he played in contrast to where the votes were coming from... The award should go to the deserving Iginla, but he has an up hill battle to win the hearts of voters (majority) coming from the East... Hence Naslund has no chance of a nomination, I'm sure Shanahan, Thorton or Roenick have a better shot...:rolleyes:
That Apprentice my friend, is the real BS!!!

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
theodore

Dude and Guinness, "Numbers speak louder than words"....Look at Theodore's numbers....The guy has stood on his head all year. His numbers as a goalie are similar to what Iginla 's numbers are to a forward. Iginla's numbers aren't amazing. They are very good but dont forget who got the flames off to a hot start...It was ROMAN TUREK.

Iginla and Theodore were both by far the most valuable players to their team but, in the end Theodore turned out to be more Valuable. You guys know as well as I do that when they are voting on who should win they look at if the players team made the playoffs and considering that Iginla is already gaurantee two awards it is a good chance the Hart trophy will go elswhere.

Guinness, Naslund has had a great year along with Bertuzzi and they had a huge second half of the year but I think this Race was down to three along time ago. If one of the original favorites weren't in the running one of the two nucks should be included, no doubt.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Theodore should win the Hart.

Where would Calgary be without Iginla? Not in the playoffs. Where are Calgary with Iginla? Not in the playoffs. It's just not right that an MVP can't get his team into post-season contention, or even play .500 hockey. I don't think being a team's lone offensive threat constitutes a Hart trophy. Its not far-fetched, the guy did have an excellent season and there are those who would justify him winning it....I just think there has to be some sort of standard about individual statistics compared with the team's success.

Iginla is also going to win the Hart and Richard trophies. Methinks award voters will see this as more than enough hardware for the guy.

Roy can't win an MVP when he's on a team with Blake and Sakic. I'd say all three played equally integral roles for Colorado's success this season. Sakic stepped up the scoring when Drury and Tanguay were struggling. Blake was a big part of a stellar defensive unit. And if you're going to give the Hart to a goalie...well, you have to take both Theodore and Burke into account as well. Question: Can you give a goalie the Hart and not give him the Vezina as well? We could see it happen this year.

Naslund can't win because Bertuzzi came on as strong as he did. Simply put, the Canucks don't make the playoffs if Bert doesn't play so well down the stretch. Then you're faced with the same problem Iginla has in Calgary - great player, on a non-playoff team.

Theodore by default. Although he more than deserves the award.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Uh oh. Look out for the Av's.

From TSN.CA:

(Apr 16) DENVER (AP) - The Colorado Avalanche received a big boost Tuesday with the news that star forward Peter Forsberg has been cleared to play Thursday in the team's first NHL playoff game.

Forsberg, sidelined all season due to ankle injuries, is expected to be in the lineup against the Los Angeles Kings, Avalanche spokesman Hayne Ellis said Tuesday.

The all-star centre was projected to be out for four months after having surgery to repair tendons in his left foot on Jan. 10. He returned to the ice about three weeks ago and has been skating with the team.

Forsberg missed 10 months with a variety of injuries.

He had his spleen removed in an emergency operation on May 10, just hours after the Avalanche eliminated the Kings in the second round of the playoffs. In July, he had surgery on both ankles, then additional surgery on his left ankle in Sweden.

The Avalanche claimed the Northwest Division title and finished second in the Western Conference behind the Detroit Red Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0