Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NFL vs CFL

What would you rather? Not- What is Better?

• NFL, no questions asked!

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • CFL, The Yanks can kiss my ass!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Can't compare, too different

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Football is a game played with your feet, pads are for sissies!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is a debate for the ages, and not always a fair comparison as budgets, talent, and game is like comparing apples to giraffes...

For me, living in Langley...I would much prefer to spend 1 extra hour going to Seattle than travelling to Downtown (not that it should take that long, but the Alex Fraser and Port Mann are equally poor routes)(Assuming a non-killer border lineup)
My ticket (A group of us share 4 seasons tickets seats at Qwest) runs $43 USD a game or so...Food and Beer is the same or cheaper than the slop at BC Place.

So for marginally more money and double the travel time I get to go to Qwest with 70k screaming rabid fans that are on their feet the whole game and non-stop noise when the visitors are on Offense vs the Cavernous BC Place with 20000 other lost bored souls...

My feeling, NFL is better on TV (The actual game) than the CFL (Which is a better game to watch live) but the game day experience pales in comparison...

What say you?

CAn't wait to travel the I-5 Sunday morning to see us (Hawks) hammer Ocho-Cinqo and the Bungles.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
We've had this debate before, usually after a few pints and not before I've had my first coffee.

But the rules of the CFL make for a much more exciting game.

3 Downs - makes for more aggressive offences, the % of passing plays in the CFL is much higher than in the NFL where you can run a dive up the gut for 3 yards each play and move the sticks.

Bigger Field - obviously this benefits the offence, more space for the smaller slower d-line to cover.

20 seconds between downs - speeds the game up vs. 30 seconds.

Clearly the athletes in the NFL are superior, but the game is better in the CFL.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Debate is ON, gloves are OFF.

Again, I prefer the NFL, but I'd say the more talented guys are in the NFL, with the better athletes in the CFL. and there are 40 seconds between plays in the NFL, not 30...making my point for me.
Warren Sapp was gasping for air last week while the Raiders D were stuck on the field, if he's sucking wind with 40 ticks between plays it gives you a lot of respect for guys like Brent Johnson who play every Defensive Down, chugs after the QB every down, and especially during long drives against.

The Slower D Line would be in the NFL, where they are huge and therefore less agile than CFL D-Linemen. I don;t have exact stats but I would hedge a bet that the average NFL D Lineman has at least 30-40 lbs and 2-3 inches on typical CFL D Linemen.

And there is a growing trend in the CFL where some of the more successfull teams are running a lot more than ever before seen in the CFL.

just thought I'd fill you in Kev, you obviously hadn't had your first coffee yet ;)

But KUTGW :D

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only teams running more are the Lions because they dont have a quarterback, and Joe Smith is a tank, and can run over the aformentioned light d-linemen. And the Alouettes because they have Walter Payton's son, and the apple didnt fall far from the tree.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the apple didn't fall farther from the tree he would be in the NFL.

Calgary Runs a lot more as have the Argos of late...

Hamilton does as well, but they are as bad a team as the CFL have ever had.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the apple didn't fall farther from the tree he would be in the NFL.

Calgary Runs a lot more as have the Argos of late...

Hamilton does as well, but they are as bad a team as the CFL have ever had.

you said....
And there is a growing trend in the CFL where some of the more successfull teams are running a lot more than ever before seen in the CFL.

:p

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not a huge fan of either but have watched both quite a bit and on the tube I find the CFL sucks! In my mind I know that most CFLers would love to play in the NFL or use to when they were good and it makes me not enjoy it as much? The NFL is where it's at for me but once again I am not a huge fan of either.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
CFL dot com has them(Stamps) with 3 wins and a draw in their last 4...hmmm.
BC v Cal 45-45
Cal 45 v Edm 24
Cal 20 v Edm 17
Sask 22 v Cal 44

Where do you get 3 L's in last 5!?

And I'm pretty sure I'm smarter than a 5th grader.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
These weird hours you are being made to work is clearly affecting you...

Instead of buying Almonds, you should start eating them, I hear they're supposed to be great for Brain Development :D

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Hawks had a minor blip, costly error at the end of the game...keep in mind they were down 17-0 at one point.

Hawks will rebound huge this week.

Cincinatti couldn't stop the Browns to save their lives last week, and they have a green Quarterback and a running back they picked up off the scrap heap..What are they going to do to stop Matt, Shaun (A former NFL MVP) and Deion Branch!?

Oh, and Randy Moss has to be the current best receiver in the game at the moment...And Moss has had the better career so far too. Once he gets bored and decides to start running over cops in his car again we can go back and Crown Ocho Cinqo King again.

Once EightyFive can make a list like this, he can be talked about at the same time
NFL records
Rookie record 17 TD catches
-He is third only to Anquan Boldin and Bill Groman for most rookie receiving yards with 1,313.
-Moss has caught 101 TD passes through 9 seasons, 5th most in NFL history. He trails Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Marvin Harrison, and Terrell Owens, all of whom have played more seasons than Moss.
-Has caught 13 or more TDs in a season 4 times. He trails only Terrell Owens and Jerry Rice in such seasons.
-Is the only player next to Jerry Rice to catch 17 or more TDs in a season twice (Moss accomplished the feat in 1998 and 2003).
-Moss has had 3 seasons where he averaged at least one receiving TD a game. 1998 (17 TDs in 16 games), 2003 (17 TDs in 16 games), and 2004 (13 TDs in 13 games). By doing so, he is the only wide receiver in NFL history to accomplish this task.
-He had back to back 100 catch seasons, first in 2002 and then in 2003. He joined Sterling Sharpe, Jerry Rice, Herman Moore, Cris Carter, Marvin Harrison, and Rod Smith as the only receivers to do so.
At the end of the 2006 season, Moss wass averaging approximately 11.2 receiving TDs per season, which was an NFL record.
-Holds the record for most 1,000 yard seasons in his first seasons of the league. In his first 6 seasons in the NFL, he had 1,000+ yards in each seasons, setting an NFL record.
-Moss is the only player in NFL history to average 100 yards and 1 TD per game through a 16 NFL game season.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys,,Haveing coached and played both games I can asure you they are both good games but are totally different. I would say they are as different as Hockey and Lacrosse (sorry for the spelling its friday night and im half baked) The American game is based on power while the Canadian game is based on speed,,ya there are fast and strong guys in both games but primarily that is the game..hic up ...The American game (my fav) is made up of gladiators in tight pants where as the Canadian payers i mean American Rejects are not as ,,,as,,well they clearly dont look as good in their uniforms..(and I know a thing or two about good lookin uniforms)...hic up 0000bbb..I think that the real and only way to tell which game is better is by the way the Cheerleeders look and move in those small ,skimpy,,,,,,GO DALLAS!!!!
Its a disadvantage being Canadian because of the cold weather in most Parks and the Cheeleeders have to wear way to much clothing,,GO DALLAS,,Man did I mention those Cowgirls,,hic up Beellch,,,SHTI man I wish I had a Cowgirl sandwich right now...MMM Chocolate,,,Playboy never did anything with the Canadian Cheerleeders did they (and if they did where did you get it and can I have a looksy) Most of all we have way worse TV comercials during halftime,like (the CFL has bigger balls) and our half time shows suck big time,,BTO was a few years ago,,ok we had the Fugees or who everthey were but who were they again,,,,I want Janet Jacksons Tits on my tube during halftime for sure,,Canadian Rita McNeils lower Chin,,,Vomit ,,, Sombody please roofy my drink I need to get some love..
All that being said I have 10 season tix to the Lions and I do have the contract to do all the Felions hair and body care from my shop,,,But when I give all my tix away to friends and ask them how the game was they all say ,,Game,,what game we were watchin the Cheerleeders.
Thank god our stadium is indoors and the felions dont wear those same Winterpeg Snow pants..other Canadian teams cheerleeders wear...yuk!
What were we talking about,,,oh ya,,,,GO DALLAS COWGIRLS...
Have a great weekend guys and Arsenal here we come...

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, and Randy Moss has to be the current best receiver in the game at the moment...And Moss has had the better career so far too. Once he gets bored and decides to start running over cops in his car again we can go back and Crown Ocho Cinqo King again.

Well your wrong as Chad Johnson is rated number 1 so far

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have played both 4- down (hated it - we ran too much) and 3 - down but the question is really the NFL vs CFL.

I subscribe to the view that questions why younger sports fans these days put an either/or to the issue. Growing up and preferring 3 down football, I still watched and enjoyed the NFL as I did the CFL where I have been going to games since the Lions started.

Why can't younger sports fans enjoy both games?

I have heard some say that the NFL is superior on TV to the coverage with fewer cameras than the CFL but that going to NFL games on a regular basis is much less fun. Some say that is why LA fans could care less if they get an NFL team - they prefer to watch their favourite team(s) on TV which might not happen if they get a local team again.

I know a few who have played in the NFL and CFL and one, Leon Bright, assured me he had more fun in the CFL but for the kind of dollars the NFL were paying he had no choice but leave here.

One thing that Americans find coming here to the CFL is what ghouse notes is the speed of the game and the athleticism of the players over the 330 pounders in the NFL who if they are still living at 55 will find it hard walking.

There is far less hype for the CFL and it did go through some dark times and now is rebounding nicely. The main problem with the CFL is its lack of marketing and teams are run by the football guys like BCs Wally Buono who is not much for marketing.

CFL tickets are a good buy especially for families (unlike Canucks). CFL stadiums and I've been to a few, have great atmosphere.

Many who tout the NFL are part of that lost generation the CFL didn't market to, to get them to games and interested in football.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Simple to make the CFL better.
Need to Exspand to 10 teams.
--thus playing each team home and away equally to fair up the league.
--to build better rivalries(sp check broke)
--fans dont want to see the same fricken team every weekend.
All games should be played on saturday.
--not thursday,friday and definatly not sunday vs the NFL.
--now you never know if there is a game or who is playing.
--sports highlights at the end of the saturday would be great to watch as in the states to get a report on the whole league as it happens to know where your team stands and to have alot of game talk at work monday am.
--Footbal is a short season and a hype sport,,you cant spread hype all over the calander ,you need buildup and an exsplotion of games all at once..thats done in highschool,collage ,NFL yet the CFL changes that and spreads it out and that screws the Footballers mentality,,
--Every fan knows when the games are going to be played 10 years in advance so to shut the shop down or by seasons tix or bribe the wife with yardwork duties can be done way in advance,,with the CFL you cant by seasons tix till the fricken schedule is released because you may have other things planed with the family and god knows you cant drink and enjoy the game on a thursday night if you have to work the next am..plus your wife wants you home after work,,she sure as hell doesnt want you to stay downtown for 3 hours at a bar with the guys waitin for kickoff while she sits at home on a worknight alone...
--If all the games were Saturday you wouldnt have to compete with the NFL and you could find a sitter way easyer for the kids or even take them along so as now they become future fans,,
--Football is a religion to the fans who take it in and in the CFL moveing church sermons around the week is the stupidest thing they have done, that is the real reason there is no hype like in the NFL
GAME day has to be GAME DAY..Period!
Mabee one Sunday night game call it Football night in Canada,with recaps of what went on Saturday(just an idea)
Both Games are great but the CFL is just ,,well poorly run,,its Canadian like the littlest hobo,,
Hell Arena football has more fans,,more than hockey I might add too...

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
by whom and for what!?
Again, My opinion is that Moss is currently in fin(er) form.

Here is who I would have on my team (if i had one:rolleyes:)

Chad Johnson, Roy Williams and Andre Johnson WR
LT or Willie Parker RB
Gates TE
Brady QB

Can I have a call-up Jason Clermont if someone gets hurt (roll eyes here)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0