Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Neil Lennon Death Threat

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LENNON PULLS OUT AFTER DEATH THREAT

Neil Lennon has pulled out of Northern Ireland's friendly with Cyprus on police advice after receiving death threats from a loyalist paramilitary group.

The Celtic star was due to start his first match as captain of Sammy McIlroy's side, but is now on his way back to Scotland.

Last year, Lennon considered retiring from international football after being booed by a minority of fans against Norway at Windsor Park due to his association with Celtic.

Lennon said: "After close consultation with the footballing authorities and the police service of Northern Ireland I will not be participating in this evening's international game.

"I am very disappointed that my desire to play for my country, on my first opportunity to captain my team, has been taken away from me."

A Celtic spokesperson added: "We are very disappointed to learn of the circumstances of Neil's having to withdraw, particularly in his first game as captain of his country's team."

Irish Football Association general secretary David Bowen said: "I can confirm sadly that Neil has withdrawn for family reasons. Police informed Neil of a threat earlier today.

"The manager spoke to Neil and Neil spoke to his family and others and for family reasons he has told us that he has had to withdraw from tonight's game. It is a decision he has thought about. As a result of that, he has for family reasons decided not to play and we respect that decision."

This is the biggest load of Bullocks I've read in a long time!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
I am sickened and disgusted by the actions of a certain minority in Northern Ireland!!! These animals will stoop as low as they feel neccessary... Protestant/Catholic it doesn't matter, how it is possible in these times for an international soccer player to be threatened (and possibly his family) if he represents his country???
What the hell does International Football have to do with politics??? This is religous propoganda!!! In all of my years I have never heard of or experienced such atrocity as this latest stunt by Loyalist Paramilitaries... sick, bloody sick...
No wonder Northern Ireland is such as joke and can't keep up with the Republic of Ireland!!! Politics and Religion are our worst enemy!!!

GuinnessguttedaboutLennon!!!:mad:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Neil Lennon has pulled out of Northern Ireland's friendly with Cyprus on police advice after receiving death threats from a loyalist paramilitary group.

Why wouldn't a loyalist paramilary group do this? They have nothing else to 'fight' for. So they may as well kill any Catholic that moves or anyone associated with Celtic. Fcuking cnuts.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well you can't have a Tim (and Celtic player) captaining Northern Ireland.

If you allow that, next thing you know they'll be asking to be treated like everyone else.

They should know their place.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
easy bhoys...

We don't need a "Protestant bashing" thread started by me!!!:eek: In all seriousness, I think it is pathetic that they have to stoop this low... It just goes to show you how little regard idiots involved in ANY paramilitary organization have for civil liberities and human life!!!

So much for the seize fire and disarming!!!:rolleyes:

Jinky, you seem know so much about the people in Northern Ireland, what was your address again???

Lennonisbrilliantandshouldbetreatedasaprod!!! ;)

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness,

Is this a Ulster only thread?

If so, and only people from Northern Ireland are allowed to respond, why didn't you just pm the Captain with your thoughts?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
wha, wha, wha...

Because that would be boring!!!
BTW, I only wanted to know where you lived so I could come over and watch you try on your new celtic baby-T!!!;)

AllprotestantsinUlsterareignorantandevilbastards :rolleyes:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks

Captain I know your true colours!!!;) I love you, you love me... (you know the rest of the song)...

From Skysports:

LENNON QUITS AFTER DEATH THREAT

Celtic midfielder Neil Lennon has announced his retirement from international football following the death threat - allegedly from the Loyalist Volunteer Force - that forced him to withdraw from Wednesday's friendly against Cyprus.

Lennon had been named skipper of Northern Ireland for the first time, but pulled out after being informed of the death threat.

The 31-year-old has been singled out for abuse since signing for Celtic in a £5.75million move from Leicester City in December 2000.

Lennon thought the worst was behind him after being jeered 18 months ago against Norway which forced him to consider his international future.

A hero`s welcome on his next international outing suggested he was right to carry on, but yesterday's events have left him with no alternative.

"My parents were pretty distraught really," he explained. "I've a tiny wee daughter who knows nothing about this at the moment and we want to try and keep her away from it as much as we can.

"I've thought long and hard about it and I've decided I probably won't be going back to play for Northern Ireland.

"I've enjoyed my career at international level, but it's time for me to say enough's enough."

A very sad day for Northern Ireland and the Irish football Association!!! This is a complete disgrace!!! Those bastards should be embarrassed of themselves, sly dirty waste of space excuse for human beings!!!:mad: :mad:

GuinnesslovestheCaptain&auntieJinks!!!;)

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the Belfast Telegraph

Football: Sammy fights to keep Lennon

SAMMY McIlroy is to pull out all the stops in an attempt to prevent Neil Lennon calling time on his international career.

Lennon is expected back in Glasgow today after spending the night at his parents' home in Lurgan after yesterday's death threat.

It is widely expected that he will now quit the Irish scene but McIlroy is not giving up hope that he can persuade him to continue.

He said: "We will do our utmost to get Neil back. I need all the experienced players I can get.

"But obviously it is up to Neil. This is not the first time he has been under scrutiny like this.

"The boy is very sad, I am very sad. He was looking forward to playing. It was great to have him back after a knee operation.

"The players were all devastated but the response they gave me was brilliant under difficult circumstances."

McIlroy said he had no intention of trying to get the game called off because of the death threat.

"That would have been a big disaster," he said. "We had a great little crowd in, the lads wanted to play and they showed that with their effort.

"Everyone in the Irish FA wants to overcome this stuff that is going on at the minute."

The death threat was received by the BBC in the afternoon and relayed to the police and then the Irish coaching staff, although the caller didn't use a recognised code word.

McIlroy added: "His first thoughts were to phone his parents, which he did and I told him to get back to me.

"The police invited me down to the room and Neil informed me he couldn't play because his parents wished him not to, which is understandable.

"Then I had a team meeting to put the players in the picture and to try and get them to perform in difficult circumstances.

"Neil then went with his father to the family home. He didn't say anything about his future plans."

McIlroy could barely disguise his anger at the events leading up to the game.

"We don't want these people to ruin the football team," he said. "They may as well have picked my team.

"Everything I had prepared and done up until Wednesday lunchtime fell apart with one phone call."

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by knvb
Has anyone seen Rangerforever?

I'm baaaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkkk!!

Did you lot miss me? :wa:
(Gotta love the new icon)
Hang on, I've got tae bloow ma BIG BLUE NOSE!

This whole thing's bollocks.
Lennon should play.
It's the same as Sept. 11.
If you let them threaten and you subside, they win.
Fcuk 'em.
It could be either the IRA softheads or the dumbass Loyalists.
Fcuk 'em all.

Easy for me to say with his life, but to see a talent like that not playing international football is a waste.

Ma father he was orange and ma mother she was green........

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Getting on with it...

I almost quit Celtic as well
Lennon 'briefly considered' his Parkhead future

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill congratulates Neil Lennon after the midfielder was substituted during today's game against Partick Thistle. CELTIC midfielder Neil Lennon has admitted he "briefly considered" quitting Parkhead in the wake of the death threat which brought a halt to his international career.

The Northern Ireland star withdrew from the side to face Cyprus in mid-week after a phone call to the BBC warned of a threat to Lennon.

The 31-year-old announced his intention not to play for his country again the following day.

But Lennon has revealed how he also thought about leaving his club after the incident.

Lennon said: "I thought about it briefly and, if it comes about when I am playing for Celtic, then obviously I might have to re-consider but it's not happened yet - touch wood."Northern Ireland manager, Sammy McIlroy, had hoped the player would re-consider his decision to retire from the interna tional arena.

But, after the 1-0 win at Partick Thistle, Lennon concedes any return is unlikely.

Lennon said: "I wouldn't have thought I will return.

"I spoke to Sammy McIlroy briefly and Jim Boyce (IFA president) and they left the door open to me.

"But it would be very difficult to go back.

I can't keep going back and putting my family through it all every time.

"I don't feel comfortable with the situation and so there's no point going on.

"Even though it might be a hoax, the past couple of days have been incredibly difficult.

"That has nothing to do with football and I don't want to keep opening up the same can of worms so hopefully that will be the end of it."However, the former Leicester City man was just happy to be back on the pitch again today and able to put the events, which he revealed stopped him from sleeping some nights, behind him.

Lennon said: "I am delighted with the game and the result as well.

It was a nice way to end what has been a really tough week.

"The manager picked his team and I was happy to go along with that.

"I have had a few sleepless nights since Wednesday and it was a tough decision to make, but I felt it was the right one.

"My mind's been churning for the last few days but I'm glad that I can now put it behind me."Celtic manager Martin O'Neill substituted Lennon in the second half at Firhill but insisted the decision was a footballing one.

O'Neill said: "I just thought it had been a traumatic couple of days for Neil, but he's come through it very well indeed.

"Like a number of players he was getting tired in the game, but that's all it was.

Although the result was a wee bit jammy, I am happy to hear Lennon is back on the pitch!!! The whole thing could have been a complete hoax??? and for what??? Let's put this shite to rest...
Come on you Rangers!!!:D

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0