Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[MWSL Selects] Predictions, Results & Banter - Jan/Feb/March/Apr 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [MWSL Selects] Predictions, Results & Banter - Jan/Feb/March 2006

SBAA Ajax Selects 2:0 Westside Renegades

Prior to kickoff, I predicted that not only would SBAA be the toughest team Westside would meet all year, but that it would be just as true vice versa. And, boy, did both teams ever live up to it. I think it would be fair to say that after 10 games, you could split the wins right down the middle.

Each team was intensely motivated, pumped and ready to play. The first half was clearly dominated by the Renegades, however they just couldn't manage to penetrate the 18 and adequately test the Surrey keeper. Going the opposite way, SBAA managed to get a couple of balls towards the Westside goal, but only weak ones from a distance.

The second half, though, really began to open up as fatigue began to set it. You would've expected a win for either team as a result of a mistake, but it didn't happen. The win for Surrey did come, however, as a result of some amazing individual effort.

The first goal scorer was completely covered by at least two defenders at about the 20 just right of center with her back to goal. She managed about a half-step to her left and struck a gorgeous right-footed shot across the face of the goal into the top left corner. It was an incredible individual effort -- something you'd see at the pro-level. The Westside keeper had no chance as it continued to bend away from her.

The second goal, again, was a result of another great individual effort. This time at about the 75 minute mark, an easy cross came from the right wing and the Renegades keeper jumped up to collect it, but just as the ball was entering her hands, a SBAA player came from nowhere and challenged her for it a split second before and tipped it in the net.

While it was a disapointing result for Westside, the game on the whole was great to watch. Both teams worked their asses off and left everything on the field. It may as well have been the cup final.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Keeper said:

Prior to kickoff, I predicted that not only would SBAA be the toughest team Westside would meet all year, but that it would be just as true vice versa. And, boy, did both teams ever live up to it. I think it would be fair to say that after 10 games, you could split the wins right down the middle.

Each team was intensely motivated, pumped and ready to play. The first half was clearly dominated by the Renegades, however they just couldn't manage to penetrate the 18 and adequately test the Surrey keeper. Going the opposite way, SBAA managed to get a couple of balls towards the Westside goal, but only weak ones from a distance.

The second half, though, really began to open up as fatigue began to set it. You would've expected a win for either team as a result of a mistake, but it didn't happen. The win for Surrey did come, however, as a result of some amazing individual effort.

The first goal scorer was completely covered by at least two defenders at about the 20 just right of center with her back to goal. She managed about a half-step to her left and struck a gorgeous right-footed shot across the face of the goal into the top left corner. It was an incredible individual effort -- something you'd see at the pro-level. The Westside keeper had no chance as it continued to bend away from her.

The second goal, again, was a result of another great individual effort. This time at about the 75 minute mark, an easy cross came from the right wing and the Renegades keeper jumped up to collect it, but just as the ball was entering her hands, a SBAA player came from nowhere and challenged her for it a split second before and tipped it in the net.

While it was a disapointing result for Westside, the game on the whole was great to watch. Both teams worked their asses off and left everything on the field. It may as well have been the cup final.

I figured it would have been a good game. SBAA just don't give up a lot of goals(only 7 in 14 league games) and that was the case last year when they were in Div. 1 with us. It is very difficult to beat that sort of individual effort you speak of. That's how we lost to the Shooters last week as it was 1 - 1 with 15 to go and their striker turned our two defenders inside out with a neat little flick(a la Robbie Keane's goal for Spurs against Blackburn two weeks ago) and buried it. It will be interesting to see if SBAA Ajax moves to Premier A next year. They won't be far away from competing with the big guns if they continue to develop their youth.......

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

alikira said:
Where were you anyway, SC? :eek: I guess you didn't want to show up the pregnant women who were almost 40 in some cases.......

Um, are you sure about that alikira? Those ladies (regardless of their age, pregnancy, weight and/or fitness level) would have been running circles around me:( .

It's great to hear/read that some teams are battling it out there. That's why I think there is a big difference between Selects and Div. 1. The intensity. Perhaps these teams will pave the way for other teams heading up to Premier. Keep up the solid football ladies...

+noshowSC:eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

SC said:
Um, are you sure about that alikira? Those ladies (regardless of their age, pregnancy, weight and/or fitness level) would have been running circles around me:( .

It's great to hear/read that some teams are battling it out there. That's why I think there is a big difference between Selects and Div. 1. The intensity. Perhaps these teams will pave the way for other teams heading up to Premier. Keep up the solid football ladies...

+noshowSC:eek:

SC,

I've seen every team in our Selects group and division one group and there is NOT a lot of difference. The top 3/4 teams in division one could easily hold their own in Selects. As we have proven this year, any team can beat anyone on the day in Selects and in division one. The Renegades were the stongest team we have played(the second time) and the North Shore team division one team (second time through) was the strongest division one team. That team would give our Selects team a game. I think it is the same for most teams. It depends which players are available on the day. When our div. 1 team has all players available and the youth call-ups, we could beat the top teams in our group(we did manage to tie them at least once this year). Anyway, it's a moot point because the season is almost over and we'll be trying to retool in the off-season.

Hail Hail

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I guess I've only seen low intesity Div 1 games and high intensity Selects games this season. :confused:
I could be wrong...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

SC said:
I guess I've only seen low intesity Div 1 games and high intensity Selects games this season. :confused:
I could be wrong...

Yes, I guess you have. ;) :p :wa: :D

See you later at the low intensity division one game. :D

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Keeper said:
It may as well have been the cup final.

I don't know about that comment Keeper after watching the Cup Final yesterday. Very exciting game with the Strikers winning the all-SBAA battle over Ajax 3-2 in overtime.:cool:

Unfortunately I was warming up and then waiting and then warming up again so I didn't get to see much of the excitement. But I do know that the Strikers took a 1-0 in the first five minutes and then Ajax tied it injury time just before half. Strikers then took the lead 2-1 with about 5 minutes to play in the game ("quick warm-up it's not going to OT!!") on what I heard was a keeper blunder. But then Ajax scored off a corner kick with less than two to go ("Okay relax there's still 30 minutes of OT before we play"). First OT was scoreless ("uh-oh this could go to PK's which will take another 15-20 mins") but with about 5 to go in the second OT, the Strikers received a free kick right inside the D at the top of the 18. ("Get up!! Get Warm!!") Great shot by their centre mid into the bottom corner, but I'm still not sure if the keeper was positioned properly - not to take away from Linda though she really cracked it.

Congrats to the Strikers!! :wa: I was glad to see some of my old teammates (and maybe future ones ;) way in the future of course) win this game.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow -- yes, I admit, I was surprised to see the result. Congratulations to the Strikers for pulling out the win. They seem to have a tendancy to do that, considering they didn't the same to the Renegades during the round robin.

~Opening mouth, inserting foot.

woody

May 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for bringing that up Nutmegs...I was going to say something about the comment that the Renegades/Ajax game was the final. It was nice to finally beat them...we had a few frustrating games against them during the season that we didn't get any breaks in. Was a good game to play, would have liked to finish the game in regulation, OT nearly killed me. Nice to sit around watching the prem game after enjoying a few pints.

Not sure what the comment about the Strikers having a tendancy to pull out the wins considering we didn't do it to the Renegades during the round robin. We haven't played the Renegades in over a year and if my memory is correct we both won a game each last seaon.

Hopefully next season there is some more cross over between the East/West Divs other than the playoffs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
woody said:
Not sure what the comment about the Strikers having a tendancy to pull out the wins considering we didn't do it to the Renegades during the round robin. We haven't played the Renegades in over a year and if my memory is correct we both won a game each last seaon.
I'll have to recheck past scores; I may be confusing SBAA with Surdel. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0