Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[MWSL Premier] Prediction, Results & Banter - March & April 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [MWSL Premier] Prediction, Results & Banter - March 2006

SC said:
Here's something I don't miss from my days of Premier....

What's with games being rescheduled to fields and times not applicable to the home team's advantage???:confused:

Nutmegs, how were you able to postpone your Friday night game with short notice? (I believe you didn't have enough notice to field a team?) Just inquiring b/c I'm aware of simular situation...

+SC

Yeah SC, the game went up on the website the Monday before the game (like 4 days notice) and a lot of people were coaching or working so I believe we suggested the Sunday at our field. The game was then listed as Sunday but I believe our opposition (Richmond) couldn't make that so in fairness it was postponed.

But that is just my understanding of it. I didn't talk to anyone from the league - it was done by our coach and manager. We may have had to get Richmond to agree to it first. :confused:

Good luck with whatever you're dealing with.:rolleyes:

BTW, it was a typo on the MWSL website and we actually play Coquitlam on Sunday not Saturday. But it should be a fun weekend - two games in three days - I feel like we're back at nationals.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

So never threats of considering the game a default if you couldn't play that evening:confused:

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Welcome Wagon said:
Touche!! However, I was just saying that seeing as Martina is obviously a really good player, and essentially the only Surrey player that day who was getting the ball fed to her time and time again and really was their only threatening option up front:D

Give a kid a break here - let's see how much of a threat you would be just 3 months are being T-boned in a little Civic by a minivan going 60-70km/h and then having to play 90 minutes every weekend when your back can really only take 50-60.:( But I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Welcome Wagon said:
I held her onside a few times since I was unaware we were going to push up and try to catch them offside, and as a result had to chase all by myself, when normally we have a unit back there to defend as a group.

I don't know how you couldn't know your team was going to push up, your two coaches were yelling that and other things so much I thought their heads were going to pop off. :D After our shocking play, we were bugging our coach that he seemed calm and didn't yell at us much during the game and he said it was because he couldn't get a word in edgewise. ;)

Funbox - I'm not even going to touch your post. I'm sure you guys were over the moon with that result, but I like how you took the "we could have done better" route. You sound like a professional athlete doing an interview on Sportsnet. ;)

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

SC said:
So never threats of considering the game a default if you couldn't play that evening:confused:
Sorry SC, don't know if we received any threats, but it looks like we're struggling for players this Friday as well. Perhaps I'll see you at Minoru and you'll have a pint ready for me when I step of the pitch. Maybe?!? :cool:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

nutmegs said:
Sorry SC, don't know if we received any threats, but it looks like we're struggling for players this Friday as well. Perhaps I'll see you at Minoru and you'll have a pint ready for me when I step of the pitch. Maybe?!? :cool:

No alcohol on the turf field. We won't allow it. :D

But then again, SC, it would be an honour for you to buy Nutmegs a beer, wouldn't it? :D ;)

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

nutmegs said:
Give a kid a break here - let's see how much of a threat you would be just 3 months are being T-boned in a little Civic by a minivan going 60-70km/h and then having to play 90 minutes every weekend when your back can really only take 50-60.:( But I'm just a glutton for punishment.

I don't know how you couldn't know your team was going to push up, your two coaches were yelling that and other things so much I thought their heads were going to pop off. :D After our shocking play, we were bugging our coach that he seemed calm and didn't yell at us much during the game and he said it was because he couldn't get a word in edgewise. ;)

Nutmegs,

I will let you off the hook,just this once:D . Car accidents suck. Hopefully you feel better soon.

As far as our coach Craig yelling, when he yells, most of time the only words we understand are the swear words:eek: . Most of the time we have no idea what he is saying, and trust me, it gets us in trouble all the time. At practice he will say something and it takes most of us a good 5-10 seconds to figure out what he is saying, and by then the f-bombs are flying our way:eek: . Maybe it was a good thing he was yelling all game long, otherwise your coach might have lit into your team a little more.:D His passion for soccer is daily, not just a special thing for the game against you guys. I have a feeling most teams are grateful, particularly when they are not playing well, because their coaches cannot get a word in edgewise:D . He is definitely funny!!

Good luck in all the games this weekend.

WW

ps. My predictions:

UBC 1 Coquitlam 1
Norvan 4 Poco 0
Surrey 3 Coquitlam 1

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

nutmegs said:

Megs, I'm posting in this thread b/c I'm aware of a current situation in Premier...just asking questions to re-confirm the inconsistencies of the league (somewhat rules):rolleyes: . You're helping out a lot:D .

As for the pints, I wasn't aware of your game this Friday...and now that I am...who knows, you might just see me there:confused:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

alikira said:
But then again, SC, it would be an honour for you to buy Nutmegs a beer, wouldn't it? :D ;)
If anything, with Nations Cup coming up...she should be the one buying me the pints...I've earned them:)

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

SC said:
If anything, with Nations Cup coming up...she should be the one buying me the pints...I've earned them:)
No one is saying you don't deserve them SC, but if you want to recruit me to put on the green hoops (at Nations Cup, of course not in the MWSL) a little bevvie post-game would certainly go a long way.;)

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Actually, I think that's the third time you've mentioned Nations Cup and I haven't even asked you...
I drink anything wet ;)

Funbox

Jun 15, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

nutmegs said:
Funbox - I'm not even going to touch your post. I'm sure you guys were over the moon with that result, but I like how you took the "we could have done better" route. You sound like a professional athlete doing an interview on Sportsnet. ;)

Give me a break. Is any team over the moon for a tie? Last time I czeched (thats for you Owns_it), we play to win. And when I said we could have done better, I meant it.

Funbox

Jun 15, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

So do we have to play Coquitlam to see who is in the final against Surrey on Sunday?

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I see a certain result from Friday might have been a result from a raw deal :confused: :rolleyes:

Megs,
I was too busy eating/drinking downtown to make it by the game on Friday. I hope someone provided you with the pints that I deserved:eek:

Good luck to everyone in Provincials...at least your league hasn't been told that they won't be scheduling anymore games for the season...:mad:

+SC

choker

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Funbox said:
So do we have to play Coquitlam to see who is in the final against Surrey on Sunday?

yup Tuesday at 8. Nutmegs, are you coming to cheer us on!

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Premier Cup Round Robin standings:

TEAM GP W L T SO F A +/- PTS
Surrey 6 4 0 2 2 17 6 11 16
Coquitlam 5 4 1 0 0 16 4 12 12
Norvan 5 2 0 3 2 15 9 6 11

Coquitlam and Norvan play on Tuesday to see who advances to the final vs. Surrey. What happens if this game ends in a shootout win for Norvan? Both teams will end with 13 points. According to the tie-breaker rules:

1. Two or more teams tied on points, winner of the game between the teams is awarded the higher position in the standings.

2. Two or more teams tied on points after TB #1, the team with the best goal difference ( + - ) is awarded the higher position in the standings.

So, if the game is tied and Norvan takes the shootout, does Norvan "win" the game and therefore take the tie-breaker based on #1 above? Or is the shootout simply to award an extra point and is the result actually a "tie"... and therefore would Coquitlam advance on better goal difference as in #2 above?

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

choker said:
yup Tuesday at 8. Nutmegs, are you coming to cheer us on!

I will be there with bells on!! (assuming of course that it's not pouring rain) Although, the only reason I would cheer for Norvan is so that we could get another crack at you in this League Cup and make amends for our poor showing two weeks ago.:D

Six of One said:
So, if the game is tied and Norvan takes the shootout, does Norvan "win" the game and therefore take the tie-breaker based on #1 above? Or is the shootout simply to award an extra point and is the result actually a "tie"... and therefore would Coquitlam advance on better goal difference as in #2 above?

Good question. You gotta love the way the MWSL really clarifies the rules. :rolleyes: I would think that Coquitlam would go thru because the game is listed as a tie (the shootout is just for an extra point), but you never know...

As for Surrey, we don't care who we play since this cup is pointless. :rolleyes:
Back-to-back games against Coquitlam would certainly add fire to the already heated rivalry and as I said before the chance to get revenge against Norvan would be nice. ;) Glad our team is back on track with two wins on the weekend. Battled hard in both games and felt we were full value for the victories. We are still struggling with injuries and only had between 10-12 players for both games. Hopefully, we can all be healthy in time for the provincial run.:cool:

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

nutmegs said:
Good question. You gotta love the way the MWSL really clarifies the rules. :rolleyes: I would think that Coquitlam would go thru because the game is listed as a tie (the shootout is just for an extra point), but you never know...

I think what happened is that the tie-breaker rules have stayed the same for years, but this year they added the extra-point thing without taking a look to see if it created any ambiguity in the existing rules. The question is: does the shootout winner "win" THE GAME?

Imagine if tonight's semi goes into a shootout and Norvan wins the shootout. They celebrate that they're going to the final and then someone tells them that, sorry, Coquitlam goes thru b/c the game is a "tie" and Coquitlam has a better goal difference. If this is the case, and if the game is tied at the end of regulation, the shootout would be irrelevant. Someone should get this clarified before the game tonight.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Well, events tonight at Burnaby were very close to turning out as Six of One suggested.

1:0 Coquitlam at the end of the 1st.

1:1, and Jimmy Holiday is told to leave the pitch. Coquitlam deteriorated a bit from there. 2:1 Norvan with little time remaining.

Coquitlam ties it up with about 15, if memory serves me correct. But the killer was Coquitlam winning it during the seven -- SEVEN! -- minutes of extra time. The Scottish Norvan coach must've been spitting fire at the final whistle.

Pics coming soon....

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Choker,

I didn't think that free kick was your fault at all, it was a very sketchy call at best. No worries!!!:)

As for the game, Coquitlam must have played far better against Surrey and UBC because they did not play very well at all last night. Their goals were all the result of poor marking and a few unlucky bounces here and there.

As for our team, I thought we played well in parts. I also felt that unlike during the past 7-8 games, for the past 2 games we have not been doing what has been working for us at all and people are getting very frustrated. Enough said..... Hopefully our next games go much better!!

WW

choker

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Welcome Wagon said:
Choker,

I didn't think that free kick was your fault at all, it was a very sketchy call at best. No worries!!!:)

yah I felt bad though, I ran really hard to get there, and next thing I know she fell.....

I thought Norvan played well with the ball on the ground.. I also enjoyed playing in the game. What a great night for a game, not too chilly..

Good luck to both team this weekend, I wish we were playing but now we have to look ahead to provincials.

choke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0