Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MWSL Premier 2003/2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carebear

May 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Premier B

I still think the gap is very big. I occasionally played on a summer team with a team who is one of the top teams in Premier B, and I can honestly say that I think they would get absolutely killed against every single Premier A team, maybe even Richmond. The gap between the best and worst teams in Premier A is unfortunately huge, and I think it would be the same with any Premier B team and all of the Premier A teams, especially once all of the players are back from University.

Welcome Wagon,

I have to agree with Nutmegs. The gap is not that huge between the A division and B division even with the University players being back. I do think however that there is a gab between the best of the A div. and the rest of A and B div. Many of the B div. teams would compete fine with the middle of the pack to bottom of the A div. and against those top teams it's sometimes stratagy like playing full defensive game (5-4-1), (4-5-1) or (3-5-2). It may be a boring game to watch but you could come out with a decent result if you play it right.

Also remember Welcome Wagon that summer ball is not the same, many teams use that time to try out new players and alot of the time they don't have there normal roster out because some players like to take the time off. Which team did you play with in the summer?

Carebear

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Carebear,

I definetly agree with you that the gap between the top A teams and lower B teams is far too big. I played with Vancouver Only for some games in the summer and I have no idea how they are doing so well in PRemier B. They might have 2 decent players if that, and their defense in particular is absolutely shocking. For some reason they seem to win a lot of their games, even if they are really outplayed. I don't think I have seen them pass the ball once, they never look to pass, just kick and run the whole time. I guess I was overgeneralizing a bit when I said that all B teams would get killed. Who knows, maybe they would do better than expected. If the B teams can compete with the A teams in the playoffs than great. I think it is a good idea. Are you guys going to be stuck on that crappy Centennial field for the whole year?

WW

Carebear

May 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Premier B

They might have 2 decent players if that, and their defense in particular is absolutely shocking. For some reason they seem to win a lot of their games, even if they are really outplayed.

WW,

Vancouver Only is a get down and get dirty team. They have alot of players that give it there all when they are out there. They are older and have played together for a long time. There defense can't be that shocking if they have only had 3 goals scored on them in 7 games and that could be partly because there goalie is decent. They do play that kick and run style at times but hey it does work sometimes.

And yes I believe we will be stuck on the crappy Centennial field all year. We definitely look forward to away games.

Cheers!

Carebear

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey 2 Poco 0

Surrey scored a goal in the first few minutes of the game and during the final minute of the game. Even though they were resting some of their key players for a lot of the game, Surrey had pretty much all of the possession for the entire game, and had the large majority of the chances and were unlucky not to have scored some more goals. It was a very frustrating game to be playing in. Any more scores?

WW

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coquitlam 3 - SBAA 0

With my youth team not playing until 2:00 today, had the rare pleasure to take in some MWSL action. Saw much of the Coquitlam-SBAA game. Coquitlam - probably smarting from last week's draw - totally outclassed SBAA, who played their trademark physical in-your-face game. Had it not been for SBAA's keeper it could have been a much more lopsided scoreline. She was stellar, including stopping KJ on a peno.

(IMHO... with Gademans not playing right now, Teresa Nuttall is the second best GK in MWSL behind Bagshaw.)

Coquitlam was playing with only 12 players, and had their 16 year old centre defender in goal. This was definitely an opportunity for SBAA to make a move. They didn't.

For the record, Centennial is crap, and the MWSL should really have themselves a chat with the city about the fcuking awful fields they keep getting. Coquitlam City club is looking for alternatives, but there ain't much. Turf at Best should be online for next year. Some talk of Friday night games, like the men. Would be a huge positive for Premier - a showcase of sorts. Friday nights have been a huge success for mens soccer. Try taking in a game at Mundy 4 on Friday night. It's brilliant.

Anyone know if the Coquitlam-SBAA rematch is on for Tuesday? Jimmy Holiday didn't know anything and the MWSL website doesn't give time or place.

FB

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh yeah, a couple of more things

A few observations from the UBC-Ottawa final this morning ... kudos to Sportsnet for broadcasting it.

1. Would someone please muzzle Helen. I think we need a petition to ban Gerry & Helen from doing soccer commentary. I find myself longing for Leggatt and Rauter ... "Mobilioooooo!"

2. UBC plays nice soccer. Probably the best womens soccer - with Canadian content - that Sportsnet has shown in the past few months.

3. Ros Hicks first goal was world class. I don't think there's many players in the national pool with the touch or savvy to score that goal. (Yes, Helen, it was deliberate.) Can someone please tell me how this kid doesn't get a shot at the nats, let alone a real crack with the Caps?

Congrats to UBC. Good work.

Withregardstopigskinfootball,FBwouldliketosay...GOCLANGO!:wa:

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
FB,

I totally agree with you about Ros Hicks. I think she is so much better than some of those girls on the National Team. I have played on her team for years and now play against her, and she is one of the toughest players to mark. I don't know why Pellerud doesn't give her a chance. Including her, there are some other players in the MWSL who could possibly do well if actually given a chance. He seems hell bent on bringing up the younger players and ignoring the very capable older players, and I don't think 23 is even old.
As for Helen and Gerry, they drive me absolutely crazy and are the worst commentators ever. In all of Canada, there has to be some better people to do the job. They are shocking and make me want to mute the TV whenever they speak.
As for UBC being such a good team, I think they were primarily a good 2 player team. Ros Hicks most notably, and also Sarah Regan. Without them I highly doubt UBC would have done so well. Even against Ottawa who was extremely weak, UBC was very shaky in their own end. We will see how they do next season when they lose Ros and Sarah (and their 28 goals they scored in the regular season) and the majority of the goals scored and set up at the Nationals.

WW

Carebear

May 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Premier B result

Coquitlam 2 Burnaby 0

Coquitlam finally dug themselves out of the rut that they have been sitting in for awhile.

Besty or anyone else from Westside what's with 2 ties in 2 weeks against 2 of the lower teams in the standings, just curious!

As for Helen and Gerry, they drive me absolutely crazy and are the worst commentators ever. In all of Canada, there has to be some better people to do the job. They are shocking and make me want to mute the TV whenever they speak.

WW and FB,

I definitely agree with you on this!!! Helen more so.

Carebear

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why all this slagging of Helen?

I find her incredibly informative when she makes comments like,"that was an incredible backpass Gerry!" or "what an incredible throw-in that was!"

Even the coin flip is fcuking incredible.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Helen and Azzi

Get Azzi and Helen together and see what they can come up with.

I am sure that there is room for incredible and superlative in a weekly report.

Incredibly young veteren HOS

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe with some of the extra money that the CSA is giving to the Women's National program, they can invest in a muzzle for Helen. She is ridiculous, or should I say ridiculously "incredible."

besty

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Carebear,

Tough couple of weeks for us on the "injury" and "out of town player front.":confused:

Playing games with only one or two subs is difficult, especially when things aren't going the greatest.:(

Also, I have been unable to make the last couple of games and maybe not having an iron fist ruling over them leaves my girls in a bit of a shambles.:D

No excuses though!:rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Incredible stuff.....

Welcome Wagon,

You're spot on about UBC. I saw a good portion of the game and noticed their backline looked very suspect, especially with the amount of missiles they knocked off or up the park. Ros and Sara are two very good and capable strikers who will be sorely missed next year at UBC. Congrats to UBC on winning back to back championships. That's not an easy feat at any level.

I haven't seen Ros play in some time. Does Pellerud possibly think that she doesn't have enough pace? He seems to be training robots right now and this is no disrespect to the players. It is a disrespect to his style of play. Perhaps Ros has to much creative play for his style. I know Christine Sinclair has been somewhat stifled by his style and that is a shame when someone has that much ability. There is nothing more frustrating when you have a MUCH better team than the coaches allow it to be....

In my 3rd year at UBC, it was probably the best team that I was a part of. Unfortunately, our coaches wanted us to play long ball all the time. After awhile, some of the players decided this was not the way to play. This caused a split in the team, which consequently was our downfall. We won the CIAU championships in 3 of the 5 years but the best team in the 4 years didn't even make it to nationals ironically(there it is again, HOS :) ). The moral of the story. Long ball is shite soccer and should never be encouraged.

Captain

Sunshyne

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

When I was watching the game between Sweden and Canada the ever so clever Gerry made the comment that there was no way one of the players on Sweden was a woman, thinking that his mic was turned off!!! I was only hoping they'd fire his a** for that one!!!

Sunshyne

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gerry Dobson

Gerry made the comment that there was no way one of the players on Sweden was a woman, thinking that his mic was turned off!!! I was only hoping they'd fire his a** for that one!!!
I must have missed that one, but if he did say it, that is an appalling comment (particularly for someone broadcasting women's sport).

As for him getting fired... good luck. He's one of the big wigs, which is why he gets to broadcast soccer ... eventhough he sucks. He loves soccer, and gives himself the gig. He is fcuking shocking though.

I don't know why soccer broadcasters on this side of the pond don't take a lesson from the Euro TV. For soccer, less commentary can often be more interesting. Look at the guys who broadcast for Fox, or SkyTV ... like John Motson. He's solo. There's no yelling (the "he shoots he scores!!!" mentality). And sure as hell no cheerleading. Just placid, intelligent, honest, and sometimes witty, commentary on the game. Soccer doesn't need total play-by-play, it's not that fast a game that the watcher can't follow it.

Anyhow, hope TSN snags the broadcasts rights away from Sportsnet. Or at the very least Sportsnet hires some real soccer people.

Maybe... like in hockey... keepers make the best commentaries. There might be a future for HOS after all.;)

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
quality stuff...

This is entertaining stuff, bringing lots and lots of chuckles here. The commentary must be as good as what's his name when the Canucks' playoff games get quality CBC broadcasters assigned to Vancouver. :rolleyes:

Besty, I feel for you, remember all that needs to happen should happen when it counts
:)

+SCa.k.a."chuckles"

k-vale7

Sep 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
frozen field

No game today between Surrey and Coquitlam because the field was frozen solid. I don't think either team was too upset (after spending a half hour standing in the pissing rain and cold) that there were no other field options. I'd like to think it would be a better game anyways when you can actually feel your extremities and your gear doesn't gain an extra ten pounds of rain weight.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
UBC vs. Poco

I actually thought Poco was going to pull this one off.
Went up 1-nil in the first half and had a good portion of the play. Surprisingly UBC looked very scrambley (sp?). Just before leaving to go to my own game, UBC tied it up as the keeper did a good job to get a piece of the long shot and knock it off the crossbar. Unfortunately it bounced back into play and the only one going for the all was the UBC forward. Lots of standing and watching on that play.
From what I heard the rest of the 2nd half was the same. Poco put a cracker of a shot off the crossbar from AM but nobody pouncing on the rebounds. UBC had another rebound put to go up 2-1.
I thought it was well played by Poco, and by the way the coach was yelling on the sidelines at his team (and the ref) not a great game by UBC.
Good job by interim coach JMac.

Another loss by Poco. Their record does not reflect the talent on the team. But they do need to get some more scoring out of all the girls that's for sure.

Carebear

May 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Premier B result

Coquitlam 2 MetroFord 0

Another much needed win for Coquitlam. MetroFord put up a good battle and both goalies played a great game considering the ice cold rainy/snowy conditions.

Yoda,

That's unfortunate for Poco to have a lead and not be able to hold it or come out with a tie. That would of been a great result, however a 2-1 result is still very respectful against UBC.

Carebear

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Premier B

Westside Shooters 1 Some Coquitlam team 1. That Coquitlam team seemed pretty fit (so early in the new year) :mad:

Keeper, can you confirm this: Rumor on the streets is that there's a big Premier Westside A (second to last in Prem A) vs B (first place in Prem B) matchup next weekend :confused: Should be an interesting game.

+observantSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0