Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLS Expansion Draft 20101124

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So they just traded away 3 of the 4 under performing forwards they drafted...

And you could argue the one they kept (Atiba Harris) is actually a winger, so his lack of goal production isn't as concerning.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow. good thing we spent time an effort on paying attention to this...

lol.

Looking at the Caps current pool of players and the rules around domestics etc... I'd say the allocation cash and international spots are worth their weight in gold.

too bad to, I was looking forward to watching that tricky Nyassi. :(

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Where do players come from for the super draft? University? What happens if you draft someone and a team from Europe offers him a contract before you can sign him. Is there any compensation or are you screwed?

Players that either have been playing NCAA or players that have signed "Generation Adidas Contracts" with the MLS... ala consensus first overall pick this year Omar Salgado.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I take it all these moves have something to do with the previous signings of international players Davide Chiumiento and Alain Rocha who were later loaned out.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here you go.

* The 2010 roster regulations are still being finalized by the MLS
Competition Committee. The following information pertains to 2009 only and will be updated as soon as possible.

I. MLS ROSTER COMPOSITION
A Major League Soccer team's full roster is comprised of the Senior Roster and the Developmental Roster. The full roster shall exceed no more than 24 total players: 18-20 players on the Senior Roster and no more than four (4) players on the Developmental Roster. All 24 players are eligible for selection as part of the game-day squad during the regular season and playoffs.

(A) SENIOR ROSTER
Other than at specified times during preseason or through injury situations (e.g., a player added as either a disabled list replacement or a season-ending injury replacement), an MLS team shall have no more than 20 Senior Roster players at any time. The Senior Roster is comprised of the following players, who all count against a team's salary budget:

INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS
Each team is allotted eight (8) International slots, with the exception of Toronto FC who is allotted 13 International slots, five (5) of which may be used on domestic U.S. players. All International player slots are tradable, therefore a team may have more than or less than eight (8) International players on its roster.

DOMESTIC PLAYERS*
A domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., refugee or asylum status).

* For Toronto FC, players with the legal right to work in Canada are considered domestic players (i.e., Canadian citizen, permanent resident, part of a protected class). ...

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny i would have traded Jay Nolly to Prtland for the rights od DC United headed McCartney. Oldtimer is a proven Keeeper. Young Knight could have been his backup. Jay will be number two. Coast of his contract is bit much.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Knight is a left back/left winger...not a keeper.

Give me strength.

What does "coast of his contract is a bit much" have to do with anything!?

Jay Nolly doesn't have a contract, only 7 Caps players do. Jay DeMerit and the remaining 6 pieces of flotsam and jetsam the Caps have left from the 10 players they drafted in the expansion draft.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny there was a young sixfoot four keeper on that list. I will check it out to see if I got his name wrong. Caps have a mid by the same name knight. You are right. Name is Brad Knoghton

redwoods

Oct 1, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that they have acquired the eighth overall pick in the 2011 Major League Soccer SuperDraft from Canadian rivals Toronto FC in exchange for defender/midfielder Nathan Sturgis.

Whitecaps FC acquired Sturgis, 23, in the third round of Wednesday's Expansion Draft from Pacific Northwest rivals Seattle Sounders FC. The native of Boca Raton, Florida, appeared in the Washington State club's first two MLS seasons and had prior spells with Real Salt Lake and Los Angeles Galaxy.

In exchange for Sturgis, Whitecaps FC received Toronto FC's natural first-round pick (eighth overall) in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. With today's trade, the 'Caps now hold the first and eighth overall selection, as well as the first picks in the remaining three rounds of the SuperDraft

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sturgis isn't exactly proven... Sturgis would have been a good serviceable swiss-army knife to play either defense or midfield. The Caps, in case you haven't noticed, have a pile of these guys that all have overseas, prior MLS experience, are young WFC-developed players, or are already MLS quality such as Blake Wagner, Wes Knight, Luca Bellisomo, Willis Forko, Ethan Gage, Greg Janicki, Terry Dunfield, and Mouloud Alkoul. Looking at the current whitecaps signed players and "players in camp" you are seeing the beginnings of their team, minus probablu 8-10 players who will come in via trade, free agency, draft, etc. I have attached a screenshot of the current WFC pool.

The unproven players become either players or assets. Apparently this league is all about getting a sound 15 or 16 guys and then managing roster rules and salary cap, and thus trading around these players for international spots, dp spots, etc...

This Portland and WFC coming into the league with the basis for a team is a far cry from a pure-expanison project that TFC appears to STILL be.

Attachments

• Caps Roster Nov 25 2010.jpg
    Caps Roster Nov 25 2010.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 252

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fore one reason onley. A league is two steps behind MLS. Jay can fatch a good player, that's what we need. You know it will take few years to get there. By that time Jay will go mad. Old timer is a dam good keeeper. He will beat out Jay for nuber one spot. That's why I woud trade Jay. The players that Bobby got, only keeper and one other guys can be starters. Rest of the guys are few games a year players. Not good enough for what is needed. The trade for first rounder is good. See I would have taken De guzman for one reason only. Skill guy that can hold on a ball. He would help our D, guys we got are guys that boot and skoot. That's Ok for A league, MLS is a fast pace game with strong men. Only through good skill that we can slow them down and chip at them.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
You need to remember to take your pills.

His dealer CUT HIM OFF..

What i understood from his post.

Mr base is turned on by strong men.

Mr base would like De guzman to hold his ball.

Mr base likes to dance the boot skoot and boogie in front of strong men while de guzman holds his ball?

hump11

Nov 26, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would you trade a young proven performer for an unproven one?

Given the strength of this years Superdraft getting the #8 pick may give the Caps a chance at drafting two young forwards. Development has been the mantra of the Caps FO and the main reason I think they stayed away from the marquee forwards that were available.

I forsee O. Salgado with their first pick as almost a given, at 17 he will see limited time this coming season and will be groomed in the Residency program, But more importantly with the 8th (and wouldnt be surprised if they dont try to move up before the draft) I think they will likely select one of three US college strikers that should be available and any one of them is projected to be an impact player in their first year much like the 2010 picks T. Bunbury or S. Zakuani. (Hoping Darlington Nagbe falls into our laps)

Youth and entry level contracts are gold in the MLS. And as strikers cost the most, getting one to produce out of the Draft is key for the club.

of course this wont do much good unless they find a seasoned striker to protect these project forwards. Which I believe will be their aim thru a DP signing from overseas (please not R. Savage... please)

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny you and your pills. Your mam new better. Now stay possitive. Caps will be last place for next four years. It is given. Knight and Davies are both good. No one they have is as good as De guzman like it or not. As far as holding balls. Polska you can hold my. You always play douls box tune. Somthing is going on with you lad. You can come out this is 2010 it all good.It is not me. It is Bobby, he likes old cheep players. Bag of old kickers just will not cut it in new modern soccer. Just look at TFC and learn from it. It is about size speed and strength in that league. Go small and you will go home with four pods in your bag.
The thirty one year old that came from England is done. If he can not hold a spot on that team than what the heck will he ofer here.
We need some good Europian players that can control the game. If we do not get any we will all go home drunk each game. At least we will be able to watch Edmonton this year. Seventy percent of guys from Caps willl go there. Maybe even Bobby next year. Martin is just around the bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0