Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Missing Hiker on Grouse Mountain

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Find it pretty hard to believe that this guy has not been found yet. It has been a week and with a good Search and Rescue crew over on the North Shore and decent weather up until today it looks to me as if this guy either fell into a deep fcukin hole or never wanted to be found again. If he wanted to vanish he has done a good job of it, even the papers and news have said that he had no reason to dissapear :rolleyes: (probably a heavy gambling problem).The poor guys wife is crying all over the news while the loser is probably down in Cuba with a $5 a day hooker. God Bless him.

If they find him dead I take it all back.

Search continues for missing hiker
Last updated May 30 2005 02:00 PM PDT
CBC News
VANCOUVER – There's still no sign of a Wisconsin man who has been missing on Grouse Mountain since last week. And searchers say they're not optimistic of finding Dave Koch alive.
Koch, 36, was last seen getting on the Grouse Mountain Skyride at 8 p.m. Wednesday. He failed to return later in the evening and police discovered his rented car still in the parking lot.
So far, searchers have spent close to 1,000 hours searching for Koch, without turning up a single clue.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was thinking the same thing. He wanted out of something and apparently has done a good job of it. See how he looks at the security camera as he walks by it in the day lodge.

Of course, if the find him, I too take it all back.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys do go missing up there. My son dated a girl whose dad went up Seymour for a hike and he was never seen or found again and that was some years ago. I think they didn't find him yet.

It sure seems odd though and makes you wonder if it might be a runaway.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CBC News showed the contents of his car's trunk tonight. Seemed kind of odd that he would leave his cell phone there - you'd think that as a tourist, he'd want to take it with him (unless his battery was dead) to stay in touch with his wife/family....maybe lends credence to the thought that he was trying to disappear?

Hope for his family's sake he's found soon...

stew :cool:

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos said:
Guys do go missing up there. My son dated a girl whose dad went up Seymour for a hike and he was never seen or found again and that was some years ago. I think they didn't find him yet.

It sure seems odd though and makes you wonder if it might be a runaway.

A red Pulsar. Look in the trunk of an old red Pulsar. :D

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a dangerous area. There are a lot of cougars nearby...some of them even throw their babies off suspension bridges.

~SCORE MORE~

Jul 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Haha that is pretty funny! Seems like stupid way to disappear though... why come to North Vancouver to "hike" all the way from Wisconsin...

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Apprentice said:
even the papers and news have said that he had no reason to dissapear. The poor guys wife is crying all over the news.

No reason they say. Hmmm, he's married, what more reason does one need to disappear forever?

Reccos said:
I think they didn't find him yet.

Man, too bad Dude doesn't ever go hiking at Grouse.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok there is some funny stuff on here but remember this man has left some very sad loved ones struggling and suffering with this tragic ordeal.

Nothing that a good insurance policy won't cure. Poor souls.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If they don't find him and can't prove a death I would imagine any insurance policy is null and void. Wouldn't you think?

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
~SCORE MORE~ said:
why come to North Vancouver to "hike" all the way from Wisconsin?

Ten flights to Toronto per day, and then a direct flight to Cuba and $5 a day hookers. Obviously.

TheRob, can one get insurance for the death of your sex life? KNVB, HoS, Dude, Skip, Shaven, Yoda and Dial were wondering.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Insurance with no corpse. Interesting question. The insurer would NOT very willingly pay in a case if they had no body or proof of death. They would investigate whether the missing insured had family, work or financial problems. Also, try to determine if the insured had family ties that he/she did not care a hoot about.

The most basic review would be the amount of insurance and if he/she had boosted the payout big time recently and whether this amount was inconsistent with what a person of his age/background would normally have.

It would surely be a battle in court and in the USA, the courts vary from state to state.

We have all heard of the presumption of death after seven years and that can be a major factor if no corpse is there. One other issure that might help the court say insurance should be paid out early is whether this absence is not explainable but inconsistent with the habits and character of the person who has never gone missing before or had mental or health or other problems. Also, the court would look at whether the person was exposed to danger or peril - for example, hiking in the mountains.

Courts allow payments without a wait if the person is an older person who has reached a reasonable life expectation and could fall to ill health and die in the woods and not be found. If they knew of serious health problems before they went (eg heart).

Insurers don't like to pay these types of claims and they will do what they can to avoid a payout if they have no body or substantive proof of death.

There is an ugly side to insurance and if anyone has ever had a fire claim on their house like say in the Kelowna fires a few years ago, the claims go unsettled fully for a long time. That is why when you buy your homeowners or tenants legal liability package you want to make sure the insurance company is one that pays claims as some don't pay without a fight.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dap, no dice, or at least not for me. Like when I tried buying disability insurance, then they found out about the "extreme" mountain biking...they basically considered me as good as paralyzed already.

Like my sex life.

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As an American citizen is he even allowed to partake in any extracurricular activities with Cuban Hookers? If not he's probably at the Cecil.

Maybe he accidently got off track and at this moment is getting his skull mauled on by a " Hungry Grizzlie Bear".

Cruel TA

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just for future reference, next time I'm with a Cuban hooker there is no need to try and save me. Especially with bad acting. What, are you going to bust into the room with a bad accent and fake moustache and pretend you're the policia?

Oh, you're talking about the bear. Ah, disregard then. Hooker?! What hooker?

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know, normally I wouldn't be worried about someone missing in the forest. Hell, a person can live off raccoons and skunks forever if they had too. Problem is, they are all in Stanley Park and Burnaby so I'm a little concerned. Hopefully, the guy has his laptop though and can read this. If you can read this buddy, whatever you do don't drink your own urine or eat your own feces! It's just fcuking gross, especially without the proper utensils.

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dapotayto said:
TheRob, can one get insurance for the death of your sex life? KNVB, HoS, Dude, Skip, Shaven, Yoda and Dial were wondering.

Now now Mr. Potato Head, I never alluded to my sex life being dead...I prefer to think of it as 'on hiatus.' :D :eek: Makes me feel all warm and self-assured inside, like warm chocolate chip cookies do...mmm, cookies...

~Shaven

Sheep

Nov 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If it turns out he is found in Cuba or any where else he is going to have one hellofa bill from search and rescue to pay...probably a lot more than the $13 000 the run-away bride has to pay.

Have they tried sending in search dogs like a big St Bernard to look for the guy? These dogs are known for their rescuing efforts and saving lives.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0