Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Men moving to Summer?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the Indo league would then move to Winter. We could all play in that.

:D

Seriously- it is only the Premier teams that would transfer over to spring / summer / fall. That's it.

Wait a second...aren't you on the Executive? Should you be "In the Know"?

Spill it Whiste Blower.

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Over the last 20+ years I've been in men's soccer, I played with guys who would play in the PCSL after the winter season and I could never understand why!! Couldn't understand why someone would want to play a 2:00 game in 30 degree weather (I enjoyed it in Kelowna, Kamloops, Nations Cup,etc. tourneys but thats a different story :D) and then train twice a week on top of that. Obviously many guys enjoy it, but to me summer soccer was a Thursday night game and no training (and the odd pint :rolleyes:). IMO, summer has too many distractions to bring out enough good players to fill out 10 or 12 rosters for an "Elite" league when the option of playing winter soccer is available, an option the rest of the country doesn't have to deal with. Combine that with field availability, where you're competing with ball on the grass fields, grass hockey on the turf fields, and the beer leagues, not to mention fields that are closed to allow for re-seeding, you could be hard pressed to find enough pitches to play and train on.

As for going to nationals, every youth team and adult team knows what the situation is going in. When a B.C. team loses, 9 times out of 10 it's because of a bad break or they lost to a better team, a team that would have beaten them in May just like they did in October. If you feel you've lost your "competitive edge", then train 3 times a week, go in a Labour Day weekend tourney, start training and playing exibition games in July. The fact is, if a team wins provincials, the players as individuals are good enough and competitive enough that they, for the most part, have played fairly high level soccer over the summer somewhere (PCSL, provincial teams, super y teams) or played in another sport, like lacrosse....................or slow pitch :D.
It's a tourney for all the fukcing marbles, get your game where it needs to be by Thanksgiving.

On a side note, back in the mid-eighties, the cup winning PCSL team would qualify for the following years' Provincials. I can remember Croatia winning Provincials one year, 6 or 7 months after their season ended.

Enjoying 7 degree, drizzly soccer weather,

SF

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey guys,,took some time off from TTP to give my finger a rest. Great topic (for a change) I played my youth in Kelowna where soccer was a summer sport, When I moved here and started playing in the winter I fcukin hated it..But now I sort of kind of ,well I like it. Im not sure why, But I do. Mabee cause the Telli carries matches from Europe so I feel its soccer time or mabee its cause It gives me something to do on the long Winter nights but what ever it is I like it. That being said I love the Summer soccer as well. Tournaments, Jumping in a pool after a game, sunscreen on the nose,Beer gardens.
I guess what Im saying is ,no matter what happens we live in Vancouver and we wll play all year round cause thats what we do here and thats why we are better (usually) than the rest of the country. If changeing the season helps our teams at the Nationals then it makes sence to me. Better soccer is what im for. I always thought the PCSL was a sort of Super league anyways. After the latest Provicials we see they are just another premier league but playing in the summer. What ever the powers at be decide I know I will still play all year round and so will most everyone anyways. So lets try it out cause Im sick of listening to Larson and the Callies on how good they are.

Aug 19, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
soccer should be played in the winter... summer is too hot or start the season early so you dont get the snow delay that we have been getting the last 2 years

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why doesn't the VMSL do what the BC Rugby does? They play a Fall season and then the Spring season, basically shutting it down from early December to early February. I think we generally only play 2 games or so during this time period due to Christmas, weather etc. Soccer is generally over in mid March whereas going until end of April would make more sense in my opinion.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why doesn't the VMSL do what the BC Rugby does? They play a Fall season and then the Spring season, basically shutting it down from early December to early February. I think we generally only play 2 games or so during this time period due to Christmas, weather etc. Soccer is generally over in mid March whereas going until end of April would make more sense in my opinion.

Very difficult to get fields after April. Softball, ultimate and other sports compete for field time.

Priory Boy

Nov 6, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Way to many hurdles to overcome.Municipalities and BCS would have to be on board and the pressure from other user groups for field time would be horrendous. As stated before the Youth programs run in summer,baseball, lacrosse,games would be played at selected fields only. What about tournaments?

larsson

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccer should be played in the winter like it is in Europe. they have the same weather that we have. it's not like it is back east with all the snow.

Not too bright are ya! Do we live in europe? This is for the better , to enhance canadian soccer.......we had a former TEch Director ,who used to be TD for the English FA ,quit because of this exact reason that the whole country should be playing the same time.

You wonder why BC is so far behind the rest of the country when it comes to National Competitions 5-0 ring a bell

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Larson you talk on every thread like Alberta is this shite hot soccer location but common it's still Canadian soccer isn't it? You'd still gets waxed like 10 - 0 by a team from Bali or Trinidad and Tobago wouldn't you? Face the facts we all suck compared to the rest of the world now go outside and stick your toungue on a medal swingset post and shut the hell up.

larsson

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Girth you poor baby is the snow getting to you lol

hey didn't the caps release jeff clarke ,valente,jj but they kept ethan gage hmm is not from ........................CALGARY....hmmmm......OWEN HARGREAVES hmmm.............CALGARY again and that is just a start name a high profile Vancouver Player making it big .....GIRTH that name is funny cause guys who talk about it usually have nothing muppet

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Girth you poor baby is the snow getting to you lol

hey didn't the caps release jeff clarke ,valente,jj but they kept ethan gage hmm is not from ........................CALGARY....hmmmm......OWEN HARGREAVES hmmm.............CALGARY again and that is just a start name a high profile Vancouver Player making it big .....GIRTH that name is funny cause guys who talk about it usually have nothing muppet
Oh I've got Girth but it's higher up and it has a belly button. All I'm say Larson is unfortunately compared to the rest of the world we /you/they...etc (Canadians) are no where near bragging rights in this sport. Muppet maybe but never an Albertan.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
So I bumped into a gentleman from BC soccer the other day and I asked him about this Summer soccer Idea they are throwin around..He told me they are discussing it for sure, The main Idea is only Premier moves to a Summer schedule. (thats the idea they are batting around now anyways). Just an Idea under discussion he told me.
What do you guys think of that?
And you all know if that was the case,almost every one would play somewhere in the winter too.! So really where would we be..Div 1 teams would qualify for Premier and then lose their guys to Premier.LOL ,Or mabee 2 Premier Leagues. the Summer league could be a Super Premier League. Wait thats the PCSL..LOL ok so I think this is a way harder situation than just moveing to Summer. So many variables to think about that I dont think it will Happen.

What I personally think will happen is ,,Now get this,
BCSA will move the Provincials to the same date as the rest of the other CSA's Provincials.
And let the cards fall where the do.
Think about it,,Join the rest of the country and Unite BC..
Only pisses off VMSL,FVSL and VISL Premier teams. The rest really could care less.
All of BC together..And BC together with the rest of Canada...WOW how easy is that.
WE are not special out here and we should be together with the rest of our province and together with our Country..Makes perfect sence..

Now a team who wins the Provincials (just a tournament)will be on a roll and playing well at that right time to go to the nationals(just another tournament).

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know who it was you were speaking to Ghouse, but the Senior Leagues decided in a meeting on September 20th in Victoria that we were no longer pursuing this idea.

The main issue was around the difficulty in getting the fields required in the summer. This discussion is off of the table for all levels of senior soccer.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know who it was you were speaking to Ghouse, but the Senior Leagues decided in a meeting on September 20th in Victoria that we were no longer pursuing this idea.

The main issue was around the difficulty in getting the fields required in the summer. This discussion is off of the table for all levels of senior soccer.

I read through the minutes for the last 4 months of meetings which have been posted. seems to be a great deal done in-camera. (or at least, very little done out of camera) what's up with that, is it just discipline issues, to avoid publishing names or...?

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
No names cause Im not gettin anyone in trouble but thats what he told me,,He did say they had agreed to drop the idea of all senior leagues moveing,just Premier was left open for discussion,,Mabee,Mabee not, All I know for sure is something has to be done cause loseing to PEI or NewFoundland is not good. Oh and Alberta.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
No names cause Im not gettin anyone in trouble but thats what he told me,,He did say they had agreed to drop the idea of all senior leagues moveing,just Premier was left open for discussion,,Mabee,Mabee not, All I know for sure is something has to be done cause loseing to PEI or NewFoundland is not good. Oh and Alberta.

I can tell you that any notion of the Premier divisions making the move alone died at the Senior League meeting, Ghouse. From someone who was actually at the table, we have all moved on from the topic.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0