Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mayan Riviera!

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Im sure you can get a direct flight from cancun to rio.
i hear there are really good deals on dentist work,i know dude went there to get a cavity filled & taco accompanied him ,and dude did get his cavity filled im betting:hiss:

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks KNVB. Were you at the Barcelo Maya Palace, Maya Beach, Maya Tropical or Marina Palace?? lol Im leaning toward the Barcelo's seem top notch. Grand Riviera Princess, Dreams and Grand Palladium seem awesome too.
Keep in mind, The Grand Riviera Princess was the one that blew up a couple years back. That being said, it was very nice. We stayed there a few years ago. Good ala carte restaurants, pools, and touristy stuff.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cascade:

Xel Ha & Xcaret - very pricey for what you get, but if you have the family with you and kids that get bored, a reasonable way to waste a day.

Tulum is reasonably close. Not a huge complex, but relatively well-preserved stuff, with a small but very nice beach below. Chichen Itza (or Chicken Itchy as my kids called it) is about a 4 hour bus trip away, but massive. Basically, you're spending a day there. Great for culture vultures and the 2012ers, but since I was last there, the ruins have been made less accessible - you can't climb up the pyramid any more.

Cozumel is a 45 minute ferry ride from Playa; you can do it as a day trip for snorkling/diving. PM me if you are a certified diver; a very good friend of mine is a diving instructor there. Playa is a neat mid-sized town with pedestrian malls that fill up with German and French tourists (kind of like Robson Street used to be, but without cars).

Dude has some good points about the cenotes, although I'd recommend checking out tour companies from up here first, so you don't get stuck with a scam artist. Also, anything "free" that is offered by any of the hotel staff or anybody nearby isn't - it's the fastest way to lose a morning stuck in a time-share presentation that you can't get out of.

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
if you are wanting a nice quiet time, check out Dreams Tulum, stayed there 2 years ago, great food and service, really nice hotel. The ruins of Tulum have a spectacular scenery and if you take a cab to Tulum Paradiso Beach you'll find one of the most amazing beaches there is in Mexico, its 10 bucks or so but all inclusive with white beds on the beach and beautiful people. Stayed at Barcelo Palace last winter, great place also but bigger than Dreams. I forgot the mention Dreams Tulum, you can actually swim to the reef which is 200 m from the hotel and has wicked snorkle. I rented a car when I stayed at Dreams, about 250$ with gas for an entire week. Its the best way to get around if you are not scared to drive, the roads on the coast and towards Chitzen Itza are very good, just watch out for "topes"... if you do not wish to go to Chitzen, try Coba, its ruins in the jungle, you can climb the pyramids there, view is great, a lot of the ruins are in between trees so pictures are not as nice :p Playa is a great place to stay for a combination of party and a little more relaxed time rather than Cancun. Xel-Ha in my opinion is still great, go early in the morning to enjoy the most of it but i do agree for 70$ its a bit expensive. I don't remember much more as my Mexico vacations usually end with alocohol widrawls on the flight back... God bless: Maistro Tequielerio, Don Ramon, Don Julio, Tequila Corazon, 100 year old, Classe Azul.... if you like tequila you will enjoy any of these...

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe I'm a bit harsh rating Xel-Ha.
It's just when I was there 20 odd years ago it was so pristine then compared to now.

Good point on the time share sales TV.
They try and sell you right at the Airport too Cascade the minute you come off the flight.
They're all dressed up in what looks like an official uniform or greeting committee and all they do is scam you into sitting down at a gov't looking booth to sell you shite and waste your time.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe I'm a bit harsh rating Xel-Ha.
It's just when I was there 20 odd years ago it was so pristine then compared to now.
I can see the flash-back now RF... you got to mexico via a large wooden ship, ate salted meat the whole way, the ruins were still new... your hair still flowed in the wind too... dinnit?

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The mullett was indeed in fine form.

And so were the Canucks...when they beat the Winnipeg Jets in the playoffs in a tense Smythe Division show down...

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just got back a week ago from 10 nights at the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. Thanks to those who helped out with all the tips. I must say the Palace is amazing, and its great to use all perks of the other 4 hotels in the complex. Great bedrooms, massive pool, great staff, unreal food and a great beach. Sea Turtles, Sting Rays, beautiful fish and tons of options where you almost have to try to be bored. If anyone is going and is looking into excursions, here is my feed back on the ones we did. Ill copy and paste my trip advisor its a bit long but it covers a lot if you're looking at going down.

This place is unreal and I will never stay at another hotel in the Mayan ever again! Beautiful Resort, the people are extremely friendly and helpful. Im not sure which resort some of these people stayed at. but we were in the oaxaca building at the far end from the lobby and I could walk anywhere within 10 minutes and to the mall in the middle of the resort in 10 minutes, so try not to take the over exaggeration to heart. This may be a long post but I want to make sure everything is covered because we were there for 10 nights.

Staff: Everyone was super friendly and very helpful. The only minor issue was dealing with the front desk over the phone because of the english/spanish difference. But it was hardly a problem and easily fixed by walking to the counter. If you find Ceaser at the front, he works with the bell boys in the red vests, he is awesome and will help you with anything and give you all the tips you need for your trip.

Food: The food at the A la Cartes are very good, lots of variety to choose from. We ate at the Caribe, the French and the Teppyanaki (if you want the Teppyanaki show, you have to book that for the Colonial hotel, as the palace has the same place but with no show, just the same menu) There are 2 buffets, the Mexican "hacienda" and the international "mirador", both are similar and have LOTS of variety, but after 10 days or a week you will find it repetitive, but there is tons of fruits and veggies, meat and fish, everything you want you will be able to find. After the buffets close, the Carey Bar in the lobby will have finger foods to snack on.

Room: Our room was a Junior Suite. King bed, balcony, 2 day beds/couches. 2 good size closets and bench with drawers. (lots of room for the ladies who like to pack the wardrobe) TV is a little tough because only a few channels are in English, but were on vacation right, who really needs alot of TV. Channel 32 is WB has a lot of good shows and 37 and 38 are ESPN. Bathroom is large and all tile, private toilet, his and her sinks, rain shower and a good sized soaker tub also with shower head. Beds do vary per person and there comfort, I found the beds fine and had no issues sleeping.

Beach: The beach at the Palace is nice, but does have a lot of coral in spots. If you are looking for more entry to the water with just sand just walk down the beach a bit and you'll find what you want. Snorkeling is awesome at this resort, the bay has tons of fish of lots variety, Sting Rays (they will startle you at first site but are very neat to see) We even had sea turtles in the bay which was beautiful. If you walk down to the pier, there is a spot where you can snorkel where there are hundreds of fish of all different varieties. I recommend going there after a few days in the bay so you don't start off with a bang and get disappointed that all of these fish aren't right off the beach. Also bring your own snorkel, you can get them for an hour, but spend the $50 and get your own, you won't regret it.

Excursions: If you are going to go anywhere by cab, GET PESOS, it will save you quite a bit of money than if you decide to pay by american. If you are going to go to Tulum, ask the people if you can do the "captain reyes package" it cost my girlfriend and I $70 for the both of us, once we got there, did a tour of the ruins and then it was about a 15 minute walk to the paradiso beach, where you will go by boat along the ruins to take pictures from the sea and also get a snorkeling tour on the reef. GORGEOUS!!!
Xel-Ha, gorgeous day trip, swimming, snorkeling, eating, parots, tucans , $98 each for all inclusive there and also round trip. Great time and tons to do.
5th Avenue Playa Del Carmen: BARDER BARDER BARDER!! Lots of variety, it will definitely take you along time to see all the little shops. Try to find washrooms when you can, because most places make you buy something to use theres.
Catamaran Catamaya: GREAT CREW! Amazing Food, Open Bar A great half day trip for adults or kids, if you want to Catamaran choose these guys, We had a fantastic time!!

I think I have covered almost everything, beautiful grounds that are well kept. If you stay at the palace you have an amazingly huge pool, a great water park for the kids and also a kids center, and full use of all the Barcelo Hotels on the properties, which have a full soccer field, tennis and basketball courts, pitch and putt and mini golf. A disco and shopping mall. Can't wait to go back one day to this paradise.

Cheers.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forgot to mention if you're going to take any cabs into town or to an excursions, USE PESOS!! you will save a lot of money.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0