Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Luongo a Canuck!!!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Canucks have made their first move in negotiations with new goaltender Roberto Luongo Monday, making a qualifying offer to the restricted free agent, and there is more to come according to CKNW 980 AM in Vancouver.

The Canucks qualified Luongo at $3.2 million, which gives the club his rights for the 2006-07 season, but the radio station is also reporting that Luongo's agent, Gilles Lupien, will meet with his client in Montreal this week to discuss the prospects of a long term deal.

Luongo, 27, played 75 games with the Florida Panthers in 2005-06, posting a record of 35-30-9 with a 2.97 GAA and a .914 save percentage. Over his five-year NHL career, Luongo has played a total of 341 games, with a record of 115-168-41, a 2.72 GAA and a .919 save percentage.

Lupien, as you would expect, praised the Canucks today while taking a few pot shots at the Panthers.

"It was completely different," Lupien said after his initial discussion on Friday night with Nonis. "(With the Panthers) it was, 'We want five (years) and shut your mouth.'

"There (in Florida) it was, 'It's five years or we're going to trade you.'"

That's a good start

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some questions surrounding goaltenders in Ottawa and whether Hasek and/or Emery will be back. Muckler was in the mix for Luongo so maybe he's interested in Clouts. Would be nice to get unrestricted free agent Chara or Redden since everyone keeps telling me Jovo's gone.

Rumours also floated on Draft day about Havlat to San Jose for thier goalie........Toskala, not Nabokov!

How about Clouts to Tampa Bay, who have 2 #2 goalies but no #1. Maybe Prospal + in return.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've got to think that Bert and Auld for Luongo and the d-man is a good deal. Nobody's going to take Cloutier over Auld unless their totally in love with the guy. Not very marketable coming off of a season-long injury. And if tossing in Allan is what makes or breaks the deal, you've got to toss him in. For a fourth overall pick, he was a huge disapointment. He is what he is; a 5th or 6th d-man with zero offensive upside. A good player but nothing special. With free agency being what it is now, you can pick up a guy like him for cheap if needed. It's funny, you listne to guys say, "Oh...Bert has to go...blah blah blah" and then finally you get rid of him for Luongo and the same guy calls Pratt and Taylor saying that they gave too much. Auld has had a 1 good season and that's not to say he won't have more but if you have to move him to get Luongo, you do it. And Nonis isn't done yet. Chara maybe??? With the $$ he's saved on Betuzzi and Jovo plus the other 2, you'd think he'd be in position to take a run at him.
The summer will be intersting, to say the least.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chara would be a huge coup. Redden offers more intangibles, though.

This may be sacrilege, but I'll say it anyhow...time to move Nazzy? In the history of the Stanley Cup, not one winning team has been captained by a European, and not one European has won MVP. I don't like the odds.

You can't just pull the "C" off Nazzy's chest and expect him to be the same player, either. Not sure who you'd get for him that can offer scoring, and with Jovo likely gone, not sure who you'd name Captain, but I'm just throwing it out there...

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
One thing I'm not going to miss is Allen being in his own zone and shooting the puck over the glass... at the other end of the rink. If the trade was Bertuzzi & Auld for Luongo, I think it's a good trade for Vancouver. Swapping defencemen doesn't matter much. I think there is a tendency to overrate a guy like Allen with our Canuck-coloured glasses. He took a while to develop and this is as good as he's going to be. Plus, the Canucks will sign Willie Mitchell to replace him. Done.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Six of One said:
One thing I'm not going to miss is Allen being in his own zone and shooting the puck over the glass... at the other end of the rink. If the trade was Bertuzzi & Auld for Luongo, I think it's a good trade for Vancouver. Swapping defencemen doesn't matter much. I think there is a tendency to overrate a guy like Allen with our Canuck-coloured glasses. He took a while to develop and this is as good as he's going to be. Plus, the Canucks will sign Willie Mitchell to replace him. Done.
here, here!!

Kevin Hector

Apr 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with Dude, even though Nazzy has been a real treat to watch over the last few years, time to move him as well. Anyone else hear about Brandon Reid coming back to the Canucks next season? and what about Chubarov??? anyone.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kevin Hector said:
I agree with Dude, even though Nazzy has been a real treat to watch over the last few years, time to move him as well. Anyone else hear about Brandon Reid coming back to the Canucks next season? and what about Chubarov??? anyone.

Chubarov just resigned with his Russian club so that's not going to happen this season. And they've resigned Reid as per their website.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kevin Hector said:

If they do move Naslund, that's a lot of scoring to have to replace when you consider they've already lost Bertuzzi's 70 pts. You never know, he may have approached managment about passing off the "C" and if he initiates that convo, it would probebly be better for him. I remember hearing him talk at the end of the season that this past year it had been more of a burdon then in the past and that there were many times he would have rather not be captain. So, it may not be like the Messier/Linden situation. Suppose they did take the "C", any thoughts of a new captain or would they need to bring a leader in via trade/free agency? Can't really see anyone there being able to take the responsablity with Jovonovski seemingly out the door. thoughts??

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kevin Hector said:
Anyone else hear about Brandon Reid coming back to the Canucks next season?.

Who cares about reid. He wouldn't have made the team las year with Crawford as coach. He may make the team but what is he really. A 3rd liner at best. Not a real differenc maker

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
W/ Jovo out, tough to say. Ohlund, you'd think, but then you're right back to having a European Captain. I know the only relevancy here is my superstition, but the odds aren't in our favor. Besides, I think being a Canadian brings something extra to being a Captain during the playoffs. The Stanley Cup means more to us growing up than anyone, and I believe this passion and desire helps elevate the game of Canadian players during the Spring.

That's a very good question...

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kevin Hector said:

Yeah that would be smart:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lets get rid of the only game breaker we have...

You are the guys that also think getting rid of Burke was smart!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you can find a quote here on TTP where I felt getting rid of Burke was a smart move I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nazzy wasn't much of a game breaker last year. His history of positive playoff performances- either here, or for his National side- is poor. I have one memorable moment: when he tied the 7th game late in the Calgary series, w/ Jovo in the box...the one they promptly lost in OT. Till that moment, he was a perimeter player all playoffs, and since.

The guy is a declining asset and is a poor leader. If you're going to shake up the team, go big.

BTW...this isn't a new rant of mine. I would have been happy to trade Nazzy after they bowed out to Calgary.

That said, I'd only do it if you could resign Jovo and give him the "C".

Tell me Franchise, you of such an intelligent hockey acumen, besides hire Brian Burke to be President, Coach, and GM, and bringing in Brian fckuing McCabe, and signing Mats Sundin for $10M and giving him the "C", what would you do to actually improve the team, and give the 'Nucks a shot at winning? How is keeping w/ the status quo, as far as leadership is concerned, a good thing?

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Nazzy wasn't much of a game breaker last year. His history of positive playoff performances- either here, or for his National side- is poor. I have one memorable moment: when he tied the 7th game late in the Calgary series, w/ Jovo in the box...the one they promptly lost in OT. Till that moment, he was a perimeter player all playoffs, and since.

The guy is a declining asset and is a poor leader. If you're going to shake up the team, go big.

BTW...this isn't a new rant of mine. I would have been happy to trade Nazzy after they bowed out to Calgary.

That said, I'd only do it if you could resign Jovo and give him the "C".

Tell me Franchise, you of such an intelligent hockey acumen, besides hire Brian Burke to be President, Coach, and GM, and bringing in Brian fckuing McCabe, and signing Mats Sundin for $10M and giving him the "C", what would you do to actually improve the team, and give the 'Nucks a shot at winning? How is keeping w/ the status quo, as far as leadership is concerned, a good thing?

I was the one that said Luongo would be a Canuck months ago, they need someone who can bring the puck out of the zone and score.....bring in McCabe would be a smart move if Jovo goes. Sedin's will be back with Carter. Morrison will be on the third line. They are in the hunt for Arnott and that may boast the first line. either way they need to find two guys to play on the first line.

the coach they signed is horriable on a side note.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
McCabe. You have to be kidding me. Carrying the puck out of the defensive zone implies having the ability to skate well. McCabe does not have this inate ability. His points come off the power play because he has one hell of a good shot and quick release.

Arnott...mixed feelings. Classic underachiever, but a big center who can distribute.

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
i say bring in chara and pronger (not sure what his status is now), i'm not much of a hockey person, so don't take my posts too seriously they may be a bit far fetched, I think its time they rebuilt the team, keep nazzi but not as a C, he is not a leader and i think him not having a status would rejuvanate him. You have to be a strong person to be able to lead a team and he lacks that. Scoring goals and supporting the teams should be his only role.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
FCbytca said:
i say bring in chara and pronger (not sure what his status is now), i'm not much of a hockey person, so don't take my posts too seriously they may be a bit far fetched, I think its time they rebuilt the team, keep nazzi but not as a C, he is not a leader and i think him not having a status would rejuvanate him. You have to be a strong person to be able to lead a team and he lacks that. Scoring goals and supporting the teams should be his only role.

Pronger would be nice as long as the missus doesn't mind the rain. Got to run it past her first.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0