Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Local Radio

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone else hear Number 2 on the FOX this morning? Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to hear him answer the 80's tune correctly. Fortunately he'll be bringing me along to Sunday's Canucks game with the tickets he won . . . right? Right?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CFOX Traffic girl

Yesterday on the afternoon show (Jeff O'neil?) there was a new(?) traffic reporter who they were trying to make feel welcome.

For some reason or another the on air topic turned to sexual preferences. Her answer was that she was bi-curious. When asked if her carpet matched the drapes, she replied without pause that she had hardwood floors.

That, was great radio :D

~TB.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Harwood floors

I love hardwood floors....should be manditory. I don't care what color the drapes are, just as long as there is NO CARPET!:eek:

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since Taylor has gone to Sportsnet, I've noticed during this past week that Dan Russell is back on CKNW with his patented "Sportstalk". My thought is this: I wonder how Russell deals/dealt with the fact that he was unceremoniously ousted to make way for Taylor, and then brought back as a substitute (backup?) when Taylor took off for greener pastures. How does he like being seen as a "second string"?

KeeperwhoalsowondershowBrianBurkelikesit

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Taylor vs. Russell

This is my 100th post, so I'd better make it good!

I've been thinking the same thing...but a 5-year, 1m contract would sure help me in eating some humble pie. Apparently, the ratings for the 10-12 slot on CKNW jumped after Taylor took over. I really enjoyed it when he had Dahliwhal as his sidekick, but the Beast was pretty good too. I was tuning out Russell long before he went on a personal hate mission with all things relating to the 'Nucks and their management. He's boring, predictable, and completely condescending to his callers. The only really good part about his show is the weekly Harry Neal feature.

Taylor, on the other hand, would keep callers on the line and let them argue, and would take part in some good ol' banter. You can tell that Taylor is an ex-jock because he's juvenile, a dork, a self-taught comedian...just like us! I also like how he had patience for callers who obviously had a tough time calling in, and probably wouldn't had Russell been the host. My wife pointed it out to me; there's one young kid named "Oz", and it seemed Don went out of his way to make the kid feel welcome. He must have known something we didn't...I've heard that kid call the TEAM a ton of times in the middle of the day. I wouldn't be surprised if he's bed ridden. He had some good weekly features, but beyond that, I was surprised to find out what a strong interviewer he was. Also, the Friday night Grivia was awesome!

I literally found myself looking forward to "The Grill" every night. Now, I'm back to watching Sports Page (or Don on SNET). They obviously took Dan Russell back instead of taking a chance on a home run. They hit one when they landed Don, but he only stayed for one season. At least Russell’s options are limited, and he's a cash cow because he has a fairly loyal following.

Anyhow, good topic.

DWMC

Fanatic

Sep 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You've got to be kidding

With all due respect, Dude, Taylor was the worst thing that ever happened to SportsPage. I was thrilled to see him gone and devastated to find him resurfacing on Sportsnet.

He's and idiot. If he had a thought in that brain it would be rattling around on its own.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Everyone to their own

The reason why most of my friends like Taylor is because he's a dork! His jokes are bad, he has the bad lid with too much gel, and he's always got a goofy grin on his face. I like the fact that you can hear the hamster turning the wheel inside his head!

Sometimes we forget...it's sports broadcasting, not the news. It isn't necessarily supposed to be serious. He brought a lot of life and levity to first Sports Page, then CKNW with "The Grill". Now Russell is back, and he bores the hell out of me. I rarely listen anymore. SNET probably paid big bucks to bring him in, and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the BC ratings during that slot have jumped.

Anyhow, to each their own!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Russell is a fat dork

I have to give the thumbs-up to Taylor as well... he's a jock just like the rest of us and delivers the sports in a way that would fit in nicely here on TTP.

Plus, he's a nice guy. I think he played hockey all the way up to the junior "B" level... He came out and played a few years ago during one of Peg's infamous hockey sessions at 8 rinks. Cocco tried to run him a couple of times but I took care of things, lining up Cocco with several bone-jarring hits into the end boards.

Don owes me one.

~TB.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cocco can skate?

Regs,

Are you and Cocco going to come out tonight and show us your silky skating technique?

Kurgancryingaboutthepuckhetookinthebackoftheleglastnight

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watch Sports Central Pacific tonite

Kurgan,

To keep on topic, I will get Taylor to give the answer during tonite's Sports Central broadcast. In case you don't see it, the answer is negative... something to do with training and a game tomorrow.

Cheers,

~TB.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Update

I just realised that wasn't exactly on topic either.

Listen to Kiss FM for the answer during the afternoon drive :D

~TB.

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On topic?

Dearest Robert,

I sincerely apollogize for using this 'Local Radio' thread to discuss personal matters and feel appropriately shamed:eek: As an afterthought, should this whole thread then be moved into 'Entertainment TTP' style?

Kurganpaddinghispoststobecomecertifiedwithouttreadingontodiv1threads.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I like Taylor but has anybody heard his colour-commentary work on EA's NHL 2002?

I don't know who wrote the script but they make ref beater look like Fasty.:D

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Russell is a fat dork! Taylor is much better.

I also get a great laugh from Jim Rome. This guy is funny! He hates soccer though and is slagging it at any chance. Anyone else listen to "the Jungle" on 1040 AM from 9 to noon weekdays?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rome

"The Jungle" is really an excellent show...great format. I do tire pretty quickly of the "clones" though. It's worth listening through though because Rome is the best interviewer around, and he gets the best guests.

Yeah, he does hate soccer, but he had me busting a gut Thursday morning. The topic comes up about some 16-year-old boy who tries out for the girl's field hockey team. Why? Because there is no boys field hockey. To make matters worse, he didn't even make the Varsity team, so he was placed on the JV team. Rome's take was something like "Imagine being that kid's father? The only thing worse would be to have a kid who wanted to play soccer!" He goes on to say "I've already had that talk with my son (who's 6 months old), and on the crew here at the jungle. I don't care if you've been here 17 years and are the best producer in the country, if your kid signs up for soccer, you're fired, on the spot!"

I'm paraphrasing, but shite, was it ever funny!

Tee

Jul 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, you can't skate. How the hell could you have taken care of cocco? I think that may have been you falling into the end boards.:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tee and Russell are both dorks

Did I say I could skate?

~TBwhothinksTeeshouldstoppostingandlearnhownottogetyellowcards.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

I agree. I was pissin myself thursday, listening to that show. Fridays show was equally as funny. Rome went on for 15 to 20 minutes about a soccer incident in the States. Very very funny...:D

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
MOJO Radio

Has anybody listened to the new AM 730 MOJO Radio?

They advertise as being guys talk radio.

I've heard they got Tom Lykus in the afternoons. I've heard his show a few times on Seattle Radio. Definitely a guys talk show.

I hope Flash Fridays catches on here in Vancouver :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0