Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jewellery on the pitch...

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, it's the first game of the year, everyone's pumped, excited to play...we all line up on the sideline so the Referee can do the regular bullsh*t that they do when the Referee says to one of our girls who has one of those Jade bracelets that when you put em' on...they ain't comin' off unless you break it off..."you have to take that off." She has taped it up COMPLETELY where it is to the point of her having to rip off layers of skin after the game, and the Referee ain't havin' nothin' to do with it. She has been wearing the bracelet for around 4 years...has been on our team for those 4 some-odd years and has NEVER come across this before with Referee's asking her to take it off. So now we are arguing with the Referee to let her play...she's been playing for years, never had a problem, yadah yadah...then he turns to one of our girls who has an earring in her ear at the top, has it taped up, and tells her she has to take it out. She says to him "if you can find me a pair of pliers, I'll be happy to help you out, otherwise, I've played Provincial's with this in and never had a problem before, so I can't help you out." The Referee in the meantime is going over all of the "RULES" that have come down, and is beginning to take notes on all of our reasons for wearing the jewellery. He turns to another girl who is our Goalie, but is playing out today, and she has a lip piercing inbetween her chin and bottom lip and he says she has to take it out. Her response "it'll close over in less than 20 minutes, so no, I'm not taking it out." He jots it down...
We're thinkin' this Ref is a nutbar and is taking the Hitler approach to the rule book and laying it down, but no no, it gets better....

I now have Jukes calling me at HOME, leaving a message for me at 5:30pm asking me to call him back re: jewellery today at our game. Are you kidding me?!! Is he for real? Is this really happening?
The other team today was looking in disbelief at the Referee holding up our game to talk to us about jewellery...it was f*cken brutal!!

I just wanna hear anyone's opinion on this jewellery crap. And, if you care...here is the ruling on it:

Safety

* A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous to himself or another player (including any kind of jewellery).

Jewellery

* All items of jewellery are potentially dangerous. The term “dangerous” can sometimes be ambiguous and controversial, therefore in order to be uniform and consistent any kind of jewellery has to be forbidden.

* Players are not allowed to use tape to cover jewellery. Taping jewellery is not adequate protection.

* Rings, earrings, leather or rubber bands are not necessary to play and the only thing they can bring about is injury.

RUBBER BANDS????? ha ha ha...so, if you dare to forget your hair elastic, but you find a rubber band....DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING THAT MISSY...them's the rules :rolleyes:

striker14

utterlyfcukendisgusted

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No offense Striker14, but have you and your team been living under a rock the past week?

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
No offense Striker14, but have you and your team been living under a rock the past week?

So, are you telling me you have no girls on your Co-ed Team or that you know of who play MWSL that tape up their earrings?

One Dart - no jewellery is NOW the rule? Why now?

striker14

Rosco

Nov 4, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
it just started this season, the ref at our game today told us that now the rule is absolutely NO jewelry, not even taped.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Striker14,

Co-ed season ended a couple of month's ago so is pretty irrevelant to what happened last weekend and the bru-haha that ensued concerning head gear and jewelry... As I alluded to, you would have to be living under a rock for the last week to not have heard about it.

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 2 game at Hillcrest: the Westside goalie (Texas Rattler's sister) had half her head covered in tape. No problems from that ref.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess the moral of the whole story is to not wear jewelry to soccer games. :D

Seriously though, we had this issue today also. Two girls on the teams had little tiny piercings on their bugle. In fact they were so small that I had no idea they even had them in until the ref brought it to their attention. I just received my first pair of glasses a couple of weeks ago so that could explain why I didn't notice them......

Anyway, he was saying they couldn't play.....blah blah blah(with a German accent) unless they took them out OR taped them. I think they taped them but I was off taking a leak in the bushes when the ref left.........I can see their points BUT like anything discretion and common sense should always prevail with any rule..........

At least I know two of my players have 'noserings' now but they're not really nose rings, if you know what I mean. I hope you do because I don't.....

TAL

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We had the same thing happen at our games as well. It's been years since i've taken off my necklace to play a game but rules are rules.

Striker, did you forfeit then and stand your ground or are you all going to get piercings again this weekend?

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
No jewellery has actually been in the FIFA Laws of the Game (Law 4) for a long time. It just hasn't been enforced. Taping it was just most referees' attempts at compromise. That's no longer acceptable according to the CSA. I am assuming someone got their ass sued somewhere.

So, here's how it works so cut the referee some slack. They don't deserve it often, but on this one, they do. If the referee fails to enforce the Laws of the Game and any Association directive, then should injury occur the liability falls on the referee.

So if an opposing player catches her hand in someone's bracelet and breaks a finger, or someone's earrings gets stuck in another person's jersey and it rips out, guess who is looking for a lawyer.

We've all worn jewellery on the pitch. Earrings, necklaces, bracelets, you name it. Time to get on with it folks. Like I tell my kids team, your just going to have to deal with it. What's more important? Playing soccer or the nosering?

Now I just want to see this enforced on the mens leagues too?

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is what I was told last year, I do a lot of youth girls games, and it is pretty straight forward. No jewellry. If it can be taken out, take it out. No more taping. I don't think that it is really that hard to understand. Not like it's a patka or anything like that. :)

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Striker,

I've been playing soccer under that rule since I was 5 years old. Now I'm no spring chicken, so the rule has been in place for decades :eek: . ''No jewellery'' means ''no jewellery''.

It was the first time I took off my "Livestrong" band in 9 months and I didn't even try to hide it under my keeper gloves, in risk of having the "Dutch" (I don't think he was German) ref card me.

It sucks for those who have different and difficult areas pierced/decorated, and I know for a fact that Reg's Coed team takes off their wedding/engagement bands.

While you're at it girls, tuck in your shirts, it's all part of the game :mad:
+SC

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
One Dart said:
No jewellry. If it can be taken out, take it out. No more taping. I don't think that it is really that hard to understand. Not like it's a patka or anything like that. :)

It's not that I am not understanding the rule...the rule has been there FOREVER, but how it came about today that we couldn't even tape em' up was nuts...and he wasn't backing down. My girl usually uses at least 1/2 a roll of tape and as I mentioned, loses skin layers taking it off, because this isn't something she can just slip off like the "live strong" bracelet, this is a jade bracelet and she has been playing with it for 4 years with no problems at all, and it has to be broken to get it off (which is bad luck). So, it just all kinda sucks when you don't see it coming and you take all the necessary precautions to avoid the bracelet being at all a "weapon" and you are still told to take it off, or you don't play!

I don't blame the Referee at all in this really, mainly just the fact that it should have been a "hey, I know usually you tape it/them up, but the rules are the rules and we have to abide by them" then hey, that's cool, but to say they can't play the 1st game of the year....AND THEN LET EM' PLAY AFTERALL...it was just all handled so horribly....but again, not blaming the Referee, just the rules and they are handled.

Anyways...after my lengthy discussion with the Jukester, he layed it all out...the rule is black and white...absolutely no taping (for the first time in my 15 years of soccer) but nipple rings are acceptable :D

Regs - I live in Langley...I read the papers...but we still weren't the only team wearing jewellery today.

striker14

iamsurprisediwasntaskedtoliftmytoptocheckforpiercings

geeser

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Today at our game the ref said if the jewlery is worm it can not be seen (belly, nipple,etc.) .
Medical Alert bracelets can be worn but must be covered or padded and Sikha Kara bracelets can be worn if they are covered .

Soccer Mom

Nov 30, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a referee, as of last year, i was told that no more jewellery at all if it can come out. if the person doesn't want to take it out, you let them know that either it's coming out or their not playing the game. i've used that tactic many times and nearly 100% of the time, the person shows up 2 minutes later with the piercing and/or jewellery out/off. as for bracelets of any kind, i've heard that wristbands can be placed over top of them and that works best, but tape can be used as well. but no more taping of piercings at all.

this 'rule' is only going to work if all the referee's start enforcing it, and that is what appears to be happening. i'm pretty lenient with it, i mean if a girl has some sort of hemp bracelet that can only be cut off i'll just tell them to tape it up.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Soccer Mom said:
i'm pretty lenient with it, i mean if a girl has some sort of hemp bracelet that can only be cut off i'll just tell them to tape it up.

THANK-YOU and that was what the situation was...not even a tub o' butter or soapy water would take it off...it nees to be broken off and that is what was explained. It just sucks to have to tell her to get rid of it...that's all.

striker14

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Striker14,

So you live in Langley, read the papers, and yet you claim bewilderment that this all happened to you and your team today?

Note I'm not argueing for or against the rules or ref actions... I just think it's strange that you would know of all the talk going on for the last week but wouldn't think that the rules would apply to you and your teammates today.

Hands up for all those in favour of nipple rings.

~Regs.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spoke to 911 earlier today and he informed me that he played earlier today with his c#ck ring on and he had no problems!!So Regs I have to put my hand up for your poll!!
Hands up for all those in favour of nipple rings.

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But doesn't Dial always wear that c*ck ring around his neck?! ;) :D

Anways, back to the topic on hand.....
I have my Tragus pierced (little piece of skin on the inside of the ear) and the actual ring does not come apart. Two of us on the team had no way to remove the earrings (pilers are about the only thing missing from my bag) and he threatened to Yellow Card anyone he saw on the field with jewellery until they took it off. I just covered it with a bandaid and took my chances.... I took all my other jewellery off but I am NOT going to remove that one.

And I have been getting away with wearing my Breast Cancer band since summer league....

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Spazz said:
Anways, back to the topic on hand.....
I have my Tragus pierced (little piece of skin on the inside of the ear) and the actual ring does not come apart. Two of us on the team had no way to remove the earrings (pilers are about the only thing missing from my bag) and he threatened to Yellow Card anyone he saw on the field with jewellery until they took it off. I just covered it with a bandaid and took my chances.... I took all my other jewellery off but I am NOT going to remove that one.

And I have been getting away with wearing my Breast Cancer band since summer league....

Just be warned Spazz...they ain't gonna accept your "I am NOT going to remove that one" reason...it sucks, but it ain't gonna happen, so plan on being booked quite regularly ;)

striker14

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0