Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How will HPL affect Gold/Silver levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
We did have a talk about it. It is open for SYL and HPL. Same rules for four district and five district.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, I know. So kids that are apparently amazing silver level players should be getting their butts out to whatever SYL tryout they can....maybe more than one if they aren't appreciated in their own district....as you suggest.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can HPL clubs actually POACH players from lower tier teams though?? HPL is not governed by district 4 or 5 and the HPL clubs will not compete with lower tier teams in any competition. Coaches can't be poached. Any coach can be approached at any time with an invitation by one club or another whether you be the same tier or not.

Is it poaching or recruiting?

W/ no restrictions on boundaries, an HPL team would be free to recruit from anywhere, no?

Any coach who holds back a tallented player- or keeps them blinfolded- is in it for the wrong reasons anyhow. Natural progression has to happen.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

W/ no restrictions on boundaries, an HPL team would be free to recruit from anywhere, no?

Correct, HPL teams can recruit from anywhere. HPL season ends at the end of November, so some HPL kids may get cut then and new HPL players, from anywhere, will be recruited prior to the new season starting in February. There may not be many player changes, but it could have some impact on teams who lose players to HPL teams, and it coudl benefit teams who add former HPL players.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
PV selects will loose players to HPL if HPL players get hurt or they quit.Players getting cut from HPL will be hard to coach if they come down. It might take a year to turn them around. Only those two levels will realy be efected. Rest should be ok. Coaches will hide kids in the weeds just in case player goes down or things do not work out.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Any coach who holds back a tallented player- or keeps them blinfolded- is in it for the wrong reasons anyhow. Natural progression has to happen.

I will be interested in seeing how much of this will go on, particularely early on like between Feb 17 and the tryouts in this inaugural season. IE; coaches or TD's approaching parents in other districts etc.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, I know. So kids that are apparently amazing silver level players should be getting their butts out to whatever SYL tryout they can....maybe more than one if they aren't appreciated in their own district....as you suggest.

its possible that Squamish's top team at the age group is a silver team, and that the player, for whatever reason, hasnt pursued playing for the North Shore Selects... I'm not saying Base is right, but the kid could be a victim of circumstance...

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
mtkb is you would see the skill lad has game smart movment with and with out the ball. You would know for sure that somthing was wrong. Why he would not make a select side is out of my reach. There is also onother lad on that same side that could easy move up to top gold side and do realy well. Jordan Dhaliwall. One tough umbro.

krutov

Dec 14, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a few questions on how BC Soccer plans on developing Tier2 and Tier3 after the HPL franchises are awarded. I am not even sure if the BCSA has anything to do with this or is this a district level administration type of decision? For example if HPL has nothing to do with TIER2 and the awarding and or running of the league, when will these decisions be made and by whom? How will clubs decide which level their teams should be playing in?

I will use the U15 girls as an example which I am sure is a common scenario in most age groups. There are 10 local teams in the metro league and 29 Gold teams in what is now Tier2. What I have gathered from comments on here and speaking with others is that Tier2 will be trimmed down to maybe 12 teams and someone(?) will decide that it is 2 teams per district that get the Tier2 teams. Who is this someone and when will those decisions be made?

If this is the model that ends up going forward we will have trimmed down the top 2 levels from 39 teams to 18 in the lower mainland. This will obviously improve the quality of play no question about it. I guess my big question is who is going to be making these decisions(at every age level) and how fast can this be done? Tryouts for Tier2 and below will be starting in March and April for most clubs and they will have to decide what level the teams will be playing at or trying out for.

As an example I will use my team which is in the Gold2 division. We are currently in a dog fight to win our division. We have played 3 Gold1 teams this year and have held our own with a 2 wins and 1 loss record. I could possible gain 5 girls that have played up a year in Metro for the past 2 seasons so this will strengthen my team dramatically. If we end up not getting a new Tier2 team for next year and are stuck in Tier3(this years silver) it will end up being a complete failure of the system.

These are the questions that I have and the reason I am following the HPL discussions. If anyone has some feedback it would be appreciated. I can only imagine that this will be a common scenario it most age groups so I am hoping this is a concern for the powers that be.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is up to the Districts. Vancouver Island has already started a study-group/feedback web page on how to form Tier 2 on Van Island. They can start this now because they already know they'll have HPL. Lower Mainland can't do this as they don't know yet.

Metro/Gold-Silver-Bronze will be up to each club and each district individually. In the same way you see a team enter gold and not win a single game. They shouldn't have been there but the team and the club felt they should in pre-season.

Where did you read Tier 2 would be limited to 12 teams?

Re: the metro girls joining your team - They should be directed to play for the nearest HPL franchise and not be "lowered" from playing a year-up in Metro to their own age in Gold. That would essentially be 3 steps backwards for them. In regards to the opposition they'd face each night at training and each weekend in games.

Jan 12, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The limit for 12 teams is what the districts have been talking about in the discussion paper from the GMSL/Selects merger talks. The GMSL district chairs vote on it tomorrow. The boys want 2 teams per district, but this won't necessarily work for the girls. The other problem is there are more boys district than girls districts..therefore boys will over rule the girls on any issue. Governance is about the future not the past. That is not to say the boys may rethink how the new tier two is governed.

krutov

Dec 14, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
The districts is who I figured were the organizers for Tiers2 and 3.

I have heard that each district will be allowed to enter up to 2 teams in Tier2 and they decide which teams(clubs) will represent their district. This would keep the number of teams down and quality up I suppose. I would also assume that these would be the competitors for the Provincial B Cup.

I agree that the girls in Metro should be and will be directed to the closest HPL sqaud. The metro girls not going to HPL is totally my guess and from the local feedback that I have heard. In this case it would involve girls entering grade 10 (very important to mention) that would need to commute for a minimum 90 minutes 4 days a week and pay the HPL fees/travel costs(probably equal to HPL fees over 10 months) and meals. I just do not see many families that will be able to afford the time and money.

It may end up being 4 steps backwards if good information does not come fast for alot of folks.

Timberwolf

Jan 17, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is up to the Districts. Vancouver Island has already started a study-group/feedback web page on how to form Tier 2 on Van Island. They can start this now because they already know they'll have HPL. Lower Mainland can't do this as they don't know yet.

Metro/Gold-Silver-Bronze will be up to each club and each district individually. In the same way you see a team enter gold and not win a single game. They shouldn't have been there but the team and the club felt they should in pre-season.

Where did you read Tier 2 would be limited to 12 teams?

Re: the metro girls joining your team - They should be directed to play for the nearest HPL franchise and not be "lowered" from playing a year-up in Metro to their own age in Gold. That would essentially be 3 steps backwards for them. In regards to the opposition they'd face each night at training and each weekend in games.

This is correct, LISA and UISA are holding talks about Tier 2 and so are possibly slightly farther down the road as a result.

The irony is we risk making the wrong decisions so long as we don't know what the LM is doing. Not that we necessarily need to match exactly what the LM does (truth is, we can't because we don't have the numbers), but clearly we need an island league to be as competitive as possible if we wish to compete at B Cup in the future AND provide the right development path for players wishing to play HPL (and beyond).

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bettermirror tier two is same format as todays select program. I think they will start at U13 and have two teams in each age group. I also think they are going to rename the league.

Jan 12, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
2 teams per district is all well and good for the boys, but good luck getting Vancouver to have an HPL team AND two tier two teams in the older girls age groups. The rules should change if the leagues merge...but they won't and the tier 2 kids will fall by the wayside....

Baldy

Sep 11, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Krutov, there is no way that the forming of HPL should result in any Gold / Silver team playing at the "wrong" level. At the end of the day, there will be various levels that gradually have less talent and are less competitive. Any given team simply needs to figure out where they belong. Don't worry about what they call it. I too coach a Gold 2 girls team and we also have had some success against Gold 1 teams. I know what teams we are competitive with and after our tyouts I will see whether my team is better or worse than this year and then I will contact the coaches of the teams that have been similar calibre to us and find out what their relative strength is and what division they will be playing in. Whether that be "Tier 2", "Gold" or "Silver" doesn't matter. We'll be a team of a certain calibre and will get into a league with similar calibre teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0