Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How will HPL affect Gold/Silver levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the same apprehension would have been similar to when soccer in BC went from Gold being the top level to Select being the top level. We survived, didn't we?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My argument, as always, isn't about surviving, it's about reform and real, measurable improvement. But, to do that, it take big balls, thick skin, and a swallowing of egos at the absolute highest levels to mandate the change. As you stated, won't happen.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
In a round about way, yes. But consider this: how is a medium or small sized specialized club supposed to survive in the current environment when they don't have the membership required to have a voice at the city? SBAA is dwarfed by the larger clubs like SU and SFC.

But, the low membership numbers hurt the club, thus, they are required to partner up w/ another club w/ like minded goals, etc. Unfortunately, to me, they are forced to sell part of their soul to better serve the membership (getting the clout at the city level to get fields, clubhouses, etc.). They are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Take off your rose colored glasses for a moment and think about this: now there is a "higher" level of play being introduced, and from the early numbers, it appears that these HPL clubs will only replace what already exists w/ Metro. Am I that far off here?

As a result, Metro will become redundant while being pillaged, and Gold / Silver levels will also be pillaged. They will in fact become "lower" levels to serve the concept of HPL.

So here's a thought: Forget the HPL, and RETRACT some Metro level spots, then call it the HPL if you really want to. Make the Merto / HPL league smaller, and invest more into it. Follow the 10 month plan as laid out. The trickle down effect will be that Gold will become more competitive, as well as Silver, Bronze, and possible grow house. My spidy senses tell me that the way the plan is laid out now will not only water down the system, but set back growth 5 years while the system flounders, and the entire process is reviewed.

There will probably be more mergers like the proposed merger between CCFC and Surrey Breakers .

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think it's inevitable in the ever growing battle of field allocations, amongst other factors.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Many parents and even some coach,s are not even aware of the HPL . All clubs should be informing their coach,s and parents about the changes planned for youth soccer.
The majority of players will be playing gold,silver, bronze etc .

krutov

Dec 14, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Many parents and even some coach,s are not even aware of the HPL . All clubs should be informing their coach,s and parents about the changes planned for youth soccer.
The majority of players will be playing gold,silver, bronze etc .

I know families that play for 3 other clubs and no one has a clue that this is happening. I have yet to see this posted on any clubs websites either.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude and Djones, re the discussion of the number of teams....will there not BE fewer teams ultimately ( or at least elite ones )? My understanding is that Metro and SY would be somewhat "phased out" and replaced by HPL, ...not right away but in time. I'm sure I read this on the BC Soccer HPL memorandum...no?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't know myself. I'm just getting my nose dirty w/ it now since it may involve me sooner than later in the years to come. I've spoken w/ several people "in the know" and it appears there are more unanswered questions and ambiguity than anything else.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't know myself. I'm just getting my nose dirty w/ it now since it may involve me sooner than later in the years to come. I've spoken w/ several people "in the know" and it appears there are more unanswered questions and ambiguity than anything else.

for sure...It seems there will be an avalanche of information and changes coming down in the next couple months. I hope someone up there has a clear grasp on all of this and we're not just all going to roll with it.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know families that play for 3 other clubs and no one has a clue that this is happening. I have yet to see this posted on any clubs websites either.

It's openly discussed in the Lower Island Metro site, Langley United has posted, Abbotsford Soccer has posted about it as well. I don't know about any other clubs though.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude and Djones, re the discussion of the number of teams....will there not BE fewer teams ultimately ( or at least elite ones )? My understanding is that Metro and SY would be somewhat "phased out" and replaced by HPL, ...not right away but in time. I'm sure I read this on the BC Soccer HPL memorandum...no?

Yes, boys Select is currently at 11 teams and will be cut down to 8. I don't know how many girls Metro teams there are. Metro and SYL will not be phased out. The "leftover" metro teams will be able to join with whatever Gold teams wish to join them (or those gold teams can move to Silver??) effectively creating a "stronger" Gold division. SYL will be finished after this 2011 season and replaced by HPL.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's openly discussed in the Lower Island Metro site, Langley United has posted, Abbotsford Soccer has posted about it as well. I don't know about any other clubs though.
To be fair, it's been posted on those other sites in what, the last ONE day?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
haha, ya! Lower Island since mid-December. I am quite shocked every club interested hasn't posted something on their web pages. Then again, generally speaking the web pages for local soccer clubs are very poor.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

My daughter plays for two organizations ( two of the "big" players in the whole HPL thing btw ) and neither of them has said a word about it publicly nor is anything posted on either of their sites. ( our club coach just provided a wee bit of info the other day for the first time ).

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No one wants to post anything till the clubs are aworded. Some clubs are in but not all. It is better to hold on a bit than come out. By Febuary it will all be known. Silver sides will loose four best players for sure maybe even five.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
My daughter plays for two organizations ( two of the "big" players in the whole HPL thing btw ) and neither of them has said a word about it publicly nor is anything posted on either of their sites. ( our club coach just provided a wee bit of info the other day for the first time ).

How can your daughter play for two clubs? BCSA is very specific that you cannot be registered for two teams at once.

I wonder why some clubs are hesitate to announce their intentions for HPL publicly or at least within their own club and to its members?

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
sorry bettermirror, I should have said "organizations" as opposed to clubs, one being WCFC. Yes, I have to think there are reasons for both of the organizations we're a part of to keep their cards close to their chests.
Strange though as most ( almost all actually? ) of the HPL info floating around out there ( at least in my circles ) is rumour and heresay at this point.
I've gathered some of my info from the BC Soccer website of course but in regards to how it actually will really work for our kids when the rubber hits the road, there is a void out there that is being filled with what all the parents are collectively theorizing on, hearing and piecing together out there.

M

Mal

Whats there to hide ? All clubs should have info about the HPL on the homepage of their sites. Parents have a right to know as they are the ones paying the fees.
If parents have more info on the HPL they can plan their summer and other sporting activities accordingly.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, HPL is following the SYL calendar this year as it is still SYL. So they (parents) already know the schedule. If no notices have been posted about HPL no one has any reason to believe anything has changed re: SYL. So there is no big rush to post the changes. Once the teams are announced for HPL Sept-Nov season you'll see an avalanche of info re: tryouts, schedule changes etc etc etc etc.

Heck 2 of the 8 HPL teams will have all summer until September to get their ducks in order as there are only 6 SYL teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0