Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How does one get (back) into soccer?

jaco

Jun 27, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey all,

Well I'm 38 now and last played soccer on a team 20 years ago.

I live in Aldergrove and was wondering how does a guy get back into the game? I was more thinking about an over 30 (35) league.

I want to have fun, am sort of in shape but haven't really played soccer in 20 years. Are most players pretty fit and skilled?

Do most teams have waiting lists? I can't say I'm a good player (or a bad one).

It looks like there are Langley, Aldergrove masters teams? I see Aldergrove has a 3B team. Is there a difference between the Master's game tone and the Division teams? I'm mainly looking to have fun but still like to win :)

When does the season start up?

Are goalies needed. (not that I play one but it wouldn't matter to me if that meant getting on a team)

Whats the general mood of the over-35 games. Pretty serious, laid back? Do many guys get broken kegs and/or torn ACL's?

I still have to show up for work...

Anyways, I've searched the net and found a little info but I thought some guys in the trenches could fill me in better one some of the details.

Feel free to PM me or reply here.

Thx

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have some patience, you posted at a time when most of these guys are out drinking or playing summer league.
Best thing to do is send an e-mail to the langley and aldergrove clubs, or phone them and let them help you find your best fit.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk it, a guy like yourself that's been outta the game for such a long time, I'm assuming you're in shockingly terrible shape although you don't think so, you have what most would call the first touch of a jack hammer and have a hard time putting on your shin guards as your ankles are the size of most guys thighs. So why not just give it up and get into other sports such as badminton or frisbee? Just think you could be the team captain for either of these teams? I'm sure you're a great guy although I'd bet most people that really know you can't stand you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out for you! :D

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You might send a private message to Peter (a Westside guy-not your area) who knows where to find a contacts list if you can't find one for your area. Is there not some o/35 links on the BC Soccer website where you get team contact lists/numbers?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By the sounds of his name, i'd think he'd be more inclined to coach a youth team.
;)

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
girth said:
Fcuk it, a guy like yourself that's been outta the game for such a long time, I'm assuming you're in shockingly terrible shape although you don't think so, you have what most would call the first touch of a jack hammer and have a hard time putting on your shin guards as your ankles are the size of most guys thighs. So why not just give it up and get into other sports such as badminton or frisbee? Just think you could be the team captain for either of these teams? I'm sure you're a great guy although I'd bet most people that really know you can't stand you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out for you! :D
Geez, why so harsh with the guy? Let's be nice TTP'ers and help the man out. I think you should get in touch with a team called the SFC Rangers O'35's. You would fit right in. Their coach is actually a member of this site and goes by the handle of "Coach". PM him.

Glad I could help.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just contact Bulljive. That is probably the level you would fit in best........Or any Fraser Valley Div. 2 team. Cheers.

Girth, good stuff. :D

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unfortunatly i play div 1 otherwise we would have been happy to let you come cheer us on. I think your best bet would be the Richmond league. Premier is equal to all other leagues div 2. So I can't imagine how bad Div 2. richmond actually is so thats your best bet.

jaco

Jun 27, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
bulljive said:
Unfortunatly i play div 1 otherwise we would have been happy to let you come cheer us on. I think your best bet would be the Richmond league. Premier is equal to all other leagues div 2. So I can't imagine how bad Div 2. richmond actually is so thats your best bet.

woah, woah, woah.....Div 1, Div 2....it sounds a little above my level and present fitness level. Do most of you play on a team close to home? Living in Abby, maybe Richmond is a bit far.

Let me get this right, all the Div teams are open ages right or are you referring to an O35 Div 2 team.

Not wanting to pi$$ any O35's off but I was hoping to avoid playing against these young uns for awhile :)

I got to start doing something to get my fat ankles smaller than my waist!!

Socceroos

May 19, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
jaco said:
Hey all,

Well I'm 38 now and last played soccer on a team 20 years ago.

I live in Aldergrove and was wondering how does a guy get back into the game? I was more thinking about an over 30 (35) league.

I want to have fun, am sort of in shape but haven't really played soccer in 20 years. Are most players pretty fit and skilled?

Do most teams have waiting lists? I can't say I'm a good player (or a bad one).

It looks like there are Langley, Aldergrove masters teams? I see Aldergrove has a 3B team. Is there a difference between the Master's game tone and the Division teams? I'm mainly looking to have fun but still like to win :)

When does the season start up?

Are goalies needed. (not that I play one but it wouldn't matter to me if that meant getting on a team)

Whats the general mood of the over-35 games. Pretty serious, laid back? Do many guys get broken kegs and/or torn ACL's?

I still have to show up for work...

Anyways, I've searched the net and found a little info but I thought some guys in the trenches could fill me in better one some of the details.

Feel free to PM me or reply here.

Thx

Try this site: http://www.geocities.com/ilovebigfatties/

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First game for the winter season is usually the weekend after Labour Day.

I would imagine teams start practising and stuff the first Tuesday after Labour Day :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0