Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hockey Rules or does it?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard an interesting argument on the Team 1040 this morning. I know interesting and the Team 1040 morning show are about as opposite as Fastshow and DudeJumpsoffcliffs, but I though I'd see what everyone here thinks. As if I don't know the answer, but we'll see.

Is Vancouver to Hockey Crazy? Should a regular season Nucks games take precedence in bar over a Playoff Football game. Apparently bars all over Vancouver (with the exception of a few) gave the cold shoulder to football fans once the hockey game started. I would have personally snapped. There is no-way a regular season game in an 82 game season should be played ahead of a conference finial. I fancy myself to be a fan of all sports except for Dude's Olympic wiener catching (No hands remember) and I believe any real fan of sport would know what's more important.

Thoughts?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd like to see a poll to see how many TTPers actually watch NFL Football. I don't and think that hockey should take precedence here.

Bring on the poll.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find the NFL incredibly boring nowadays. I used to be a football fan back in my mullet days but to be honest, the game is really played in the upstairs booth where plays and formations are picked apart and strategies are figured out by a few men in a booth with TV screens and digital recorders. The players athletic ability and creativity seem to have been replaced by technology. Watching a game being played on Playstation2 is more exciting.

College football is better.

Hockey rules!

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
like KNVB said. A regular season Canucks game is way low on the priority list. One of the best sport weekends was just a few weeks ago when Ohio State beat Miami for the national championship on Friday night followed by soccer Saturday morning, two NFL playoff games on Saturday, a Canucks game on Saturday night and two more NFL playoff games on Sunday. There was no conflict there but if the Canucks game had played at the same time as any of the football games it would have hasta la vista hockey.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On a level playing field..........I think the AFC Championship should take precedent.

However, Sunday afternoon's game was a Pay Per View telecast. Since it was not available to Public TV I think the sports bars decided to cater to the Hockey Fans. I just think it was a unique situtation on Sunday. If the Hockey game was on Cable, the AFC Championship should take precedent due to the nature of the event.

Sandman

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting...

The more we (Canadians) pay attention to the US sports on TV the more we drive all canadian sport into the ground.

So you think they should have played the NFL game, eh... Answer me this. Would they have shown the Grey Cup final instead of a regular season baseball game in New York or any other American city for that matter. Not on your life...they wouldn't know the Grey Cup from a 'c' cup. So why the fcuk do we continually have to put up with American sport here. Fcuk 'em. Hockey game all the way.

And something else whilst I'm at it...could the local TV sports coverage please stop covering all the American shite as well. Why is that some poxy game from Florida gets more coverage than Giants game, a Whitecaps game, or even some amatuer sports in Vancouver.

I'll say it again. The Canadian insistance of watching American fcuking sport is what kills pro sport in this country. STOP ****ING WATCHING IT. ITS SHITE ANYWAY!!!

Sorry for shouting.

Panties

Aug 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why are you comparing the CFL to the NFL and MLB. Of course they are not going to show the friekin Grey Cup over a regular season MLB game. The CFL is minor leagues in the states. That is why they don't show the Japan baseball championship series over any MLB game in America aswell. It doesn't fcucking matter, it's minor league in comparison.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hockey, in this case, was more important. Although the football (Raiders/Titans) was decent to watch, had the Canucks been on I would've watched that. Jeepers creepers, it was a battle for 2nd against the fcuking Wings! What does Oakland/Tennesse mean to us? Nothing.

If the home team, during one of its most successful seasons, can't beat out a sport/league that doesn't even exist in the country, then we've got no right to complain about the lack of 'Nucks coverage on CBC/TSN (or words to that effect -- you get the point, anyways).

Support the Canucks or quit your whining in the future.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was a regular season game for Canucks sakes. For anyone who even remotely likes football the choice should be clear. NFC title over one of many tired Canuks games. There are 82 of them you know.

Gaffa, your exact thinking is why Canada is only good at one sport.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pants...

You missed the point. It doesn't matter wether its minor league major league or bush league. Fact is, we continue to buy into the propaganda of the American pro sports machine to the detriment of Canadian sport. Personally I'd rather be informed about Vancouver's pro/semi pro or even amatuer sport on local tv coverage than have to wade through all the American stuff only to get a tidbit of local sport at the end of the show...

Perhaps I should apologize to the legions of Bucs and Raiders fans who live here in the Lower Mainland...sorry to both of you!

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pay-per-view

It's as simple as your thinking KNVB... The Pub's attract partons, by offering the Canucks vs Red Wings (top of the table clash)... The AFC final means what??? Did you paint your face and go to the pub when Dallas played in the playoffs??? I doubt it very much... In fact the only reason you'd go to a pub is if the missus wouldn't let you throw darts at home???:rolleyes:

Hockey mad in Vancouver!!!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The AFC final means what???
It means the to be the best in the AFC, but that's not important right now...

Did you paint your face and go to the pub when Dallas played in the playoffs
As a matter of fact back in nighty fcuking two I did paint my face and go watch Dallas play. Those were definitely the good old days, but you're right about one thing the missus won't let me play darts in the house anymore. :(

My point, as small as it may be, as a fan of Sport in general, I think it's awful that we would turn off a Playoff Football game or any other game for a Canuck regular season game. PPV or not.

What if it were a World Cup match vs a Canuck Regular season game? Then What?

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now there's a good question. If it was Ireland and England in the World cup quarterfinals and the game was preempted by Canucks-Red Wings ninety percent of the people on this site would be pissed. And using the same argument KNVB did for the AFC championship.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What if it were a World Cup match vs a Canuck Regular season game? Then What?
Still a Canucks regular season game since any WC game on at the same time would mean it's a rebroadcast :rolleyes:

~Regs.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Easy choice if you're a bar owner...hockey! Kill two birds with one stone: pack the joint with poeple who want to see the pay-per-view game, and send that cnut KNVB packing. Easy choice when you think about it.

KNVB's a cnut,

Dude.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
concise and to the point.......

As ever, the Gaffa makes sense. Shame the rest of you nonces refuse to take the time to think about what he's saying.

American Football's for clowns and those who love them.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0