Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gold Cup 2007

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
you missed out on one of leggats extremely loud breathe-ins. :D

Ha! Good point! I'd forgotten about Leggat :D

No wonder its been an uphill battle promoting national level soccer, with clowns like that doing the selling of it in the past.

Vic can cure call a dynamite curling match though!

~S

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right off the bat, the big difference between this game and the last one were the 2 different starters that had to be made.

Sutton in goal - does anyone really feel comfortable with him back there? First minute of the game and what does he do? Clears everyone out and up the park so he can put it down and hoof a long ball to no one :rolleyes: I don't think I even need to mention the cokc-up on the first goal :mad:

Gerba up front - despite getting the only goal for Canada, this guy was a black hole. He has no first touch whatsoever required for that position! Everything broke down immediately when the ball was pushed into him which then led to the midfielders not enjoying the ability the run off the ball w/o worry. You could see this affect them more and more as the game wore on - Hutchinson and DeGuzman were holding more and trying to do things a bit differently which more times than not, resulted in a turnover.

Hart should have realized this and switched the formation. Subbing in Hume to be the lone frontrunner was useless.

Also, Nash was weak with his distribution on the night.

A win or tie against Haiti will put them through on Monday.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I understand Friend is hurt but personally I would like to see Hume playing off of Friend upfront and still keep Hutchison, de guzman, derosario(sp) in midfield. With Friend being the holdup target man with Hume running off him we could have a pretty good offense and a pretty good possesion game. We looked good in the first game but we seemed to be the same old canada in the second, unable to get any flow or offense established. Hume is a good finisher and Friend really impressed me as a target man so it seems like a natural partnership.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Im watching Mexico vs Honduras on GOLTV and the Spanish speaking announcers (with I just noticed ever so faintly the American announcers in the background, basically blessedly inaudible) are certainly an upgrade on the (ahem) play by play guy calling the US/T&T game: can you imagine an American (in english) guy yelling out "Goooooooaaaaaaaaaaallllllllaaaa" ? Well, he did. But that wasn't as good as this one: "USA, down the right side!"...(the US player then skies it about 30 feet over his opponent's goal from 15 yards out)..."and a beaauuuttiful souvenir for the crowd by the USA player!!"

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bulljive,

Yeah, Friend is hurt - but he is the only option in my opinion to play the striker position in a system employing only a single front runner.

Definitely agree with you on keeping DeRo, Hutch, and DeGuzman together in the middle of the park - don't fcuk with it, give them this whole tourney to gel. The right side however needs some major work I think as I haven't been impressed with Bernier at all. Perhaps that would be a spot for Hume in this system? Peters would also be a solid option there but of course he isn't available.

The other guy that I have not been impressed with is the central defender from Quebec - last name starts with an 'H' (not Hastings) - he will cost Canada greatly if he is apart of the long-term picture... too much of a hot-head and seemingly limited skills.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think this was a coaching mistake. Play your key guys even if slighty hindered and get the points from this unkown team. Rest your players against Haiti kinowing you already are advancing out of the group stage.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can go on and on about yesterday's game against Guadeloupe but in a nutshell I was most disappointed with Gerber, Bernier, and Hutchinson. They were easily bumped off the ball. Their first touch is NOT GOOD. They cannot play with back to goal. The entire attitude of the team except for Derosario and DeGuzman was so negative and uncreative, I was wreathing. I felt sorry for Nash who seemed to long for his Whitecap teammates to playmake.

Speaking of the Whitecaps, I am very impressed with their style of play and individual skill and composure as I watch them play against Minnesota tonight. I am absolutely convinced that they would have handled Guadeloupe and beaten them. I know Stephen Hart would like much more time to prepare his team, a luxury the Whitecaps enjoy, and the Whitecaps look like a team. The Canadian National team will have success if individuals have success, a "special" game for the day, such as deGuzman enjoyed against Costa Rica but not based on good team play and chemistry. Still, it doesn't excuse individual players not being able to handle a pass. Hutchinson was frustrating the hell out of me. Hold the stinking ball!

My rant for the moment.:mad:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hutchison had an off night and actually is a very good player with a lot of talent. Canada couldn't get anything going and I think it was a case of a guy trying to do too much himself. He did look awful though. Bernier is junk and not good enough at this level. WE need a guy on the outside that can be a bit of a threat. It would have been nice to see how Peters could have fit in. maybe Hume would be a good option out there.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big game tonight (live on Sportsnet @ 6PM Pacific on one of the digital channels).

Sutton is out because of the concussion problems (apparently a ball thrown back by a ball boy early in Saturday's match hit Sutton in the head :rolleyes: ), and Onstad is back from Houston.

1-0 Canada is my prediction.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big game tonight (live on Sportsnet @ 6PM Pacific on one of the digital channels).

Sutton is out because of the concussion problems (apparently a ball thrown back by a ball boy early in Saturday's match hit Sutton in the head :rolleyes: ), and Onstad is back from Houston.

1-0 Canada is my prediction.

Geez, my kid is getting cuter everyday.:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just spoke with a CSA rep down in Miami and Rob Friend is fit and ready to go for tonight - good news for the team.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You need access to one of the digital sportsnet channels - mid to uper 150's I think they are.

Cheers,

~Regs.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
You need access to one of the digital sportsnet channels - mid to uper 150's I think they are.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Yeah, I'm an idiot, but the weird thing is, the only channel it's on is 22, none of the HD or region specific SN channels do. Weird.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I finally found it, it is actually live right now on Sportsnet East (Channel 147 on the North Shore). 12 minutes in...

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good stuff from the boys so far............

Good to see the lads play hard and have a good result so far in a very important match.

Thumbs up......

Onstad looks so much more confident in our pipes..........If we met the USA,the boys from that team know we have some players on our squad.....

Small steps but very important ones in moving forward!

Mr. Rempa

Jul 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shssssssssssssssss Canada score?...Maybe I will wait...just for the big BELLY guy from the North Shore...

I watched on the Spanish channel...did not understand much the commentators but everytime a player score this guy yelled goaaaaaaaaaaaalaaaaaaaazo...a few times and then to my surprise he called the scorer Ass...hole..ass hole...ass hole...very interested ways the play by play in another language

Cside 17 enjoy the game :D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Missed the game entirely, and missed the paper on the way out the door this morning.

Regs- what was the final result?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0