Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

G.V.O.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone going?

I heard today that they had Freddy Couples pull out due to a bad back and the winner of the PGA Championship a relative no-body Rich Beam pulled out because he's tired. Tired of hauling around his pay cheque. :rolleyes: The big problem with this tourney is the players just spent last week playing for 1.5 mill and don't want to fly to Canada to play for 500,000 or whatever the purse is.

I've heard multiple rumours that the tournament chairs from around the PGA are pushing for a system much like the LPGA that every player has to attend each tourney held, once ever 5 years. They can still pick and choose, but it's has to be done in a 5 year frame. Just one Tiger sighting at Northview would be huge.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rumour or bullshite???

A couple of nights ago sportsnet had their "golf expert" on speaking of the ACC... Basically it's done... However, I found it interesting when he spoke of the Bell Canada Open... Apparently being a "National Tournament" it can be moved to BC... If the ACC goes, then this leaves a market for the Canadian Open coming to BC... Maybe Northview, maybe not, but I'm certain that would bring some of the bigger names on tour here!!!

Anyone else know or here about this??? :confused:

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, Guinness, you're right. It is basically done because there are no companies that are willing to front the $20 million US cost over 4 years for title sponsor status. The Royal Bank, which incidentally just reported 2nd quarter earnings of $722 million Canadian, was the last hope and they said no. The Canadian Open is a moveable event, and used to be held across the country until it found its "home" at Glen Abbey in Toronto where it was held for 15 odd years. Only recently has there been talk of moving it around again (I think it was played in Montreal last year or the year before that, but its been pretty permanent in Southern Ontario for quite some time). A rumour that I heard was that they are looking to bring the Canadian Open to Shaughnessy in 2004, with other appearances to follow. If anyone cares, the Bank of Montreal Women's Canadian Open will be held at Point Grey in 2003. It sucks that its leaving because even if the stars don't come out, its pretty amazing to watch what these guys can do with a golf ball.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The PGA as I understand it has given the GVO a break and they now have time to find themselves multiple sponsors to come up the 20+ mill it takes. It's obvious that Air Tuna can't do it anymore.

It would be truly sad if Vancouver got another nail put in it's fun coffin. We need this event.

The Pro-Am are today and tomorrow. As I asked before anyone going?

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I read in the Sun today that the Royal Bank spends 4 million a year for the naming rights to a arena/stadium in Carolina. Anyone know which one? Pretty weak in any case since it would cost them 5 million a year to save a Canadian tournament. :wa:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0