Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [FVSL Premier] Vote for Muzz

Vote for...

• Total voters

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [FVSL Premier] Results & Banter - March 2006

LION said:
I never said Razel and #22 should play together. They would not complement each other at all.
One of them with a target man. obviously.

It took me a while to respond, because I was busy smashing my last keyboard to bits with my forehead when I read this.

Really Lion, you don't say? One of these young studs paired with a skilled, big target man, a guy that can bring it down, shield, hold it up, and distribute? Wow...fcuking brilliant. A young gun with an experienced big man.

Who the hell would be a good fit for that role, in the Valley? Let me think here...ummmm, Billy Jackson? Great guy, but has lost too much fitness. Jeeze, you know, I can't think of anyone. Not fcuking one.

Wait! Wait, wait, wait...how about Murray FCUKING Howes?

Wow.

Thanks for the help there Lion. If this Razel is as good as everyone says, they should fit in well together.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Murray it is.
I am sure he will do fine,playing over 35s for the past how many years then jumping in to a faster fitter game.
for sure.
And I do agree with LFC2 about wade.
maybe put him in for 20-30 to chase or hopefully get a through ball his way. but I haven't seen him show much other skill other then the "fast as hell break away finishes".
I don't think the Whitecaps would give up too many of those.

You are probably right Dude.
I would just love to hear from younger guys, who play in the league. I think i am the only guy who have named others.
Where is the youth!!???

tryingtoliveinthepresent
LION

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Ballbaby said:
On a side note and not to get too off topic but we played a VMSL Div 1 team alst night. We won 4-2 but really, the score should have read 14-2. Young fast players. Some with very good attitudes, some who are simply out of line.

Mostly a Div 2 team to be honest. And we are not that good. :D
The young guys seemed to learn a lot last night by watching you guys let the ball do all the work and not your tired old legs. Seeing in person what we have been trying to explain/tell them how they should be doing things was good for them. A few ( 2) guys got a bit out of hand last night but the ref was a bit of a joke :rolleyes:.

The point i think Ballbaby is trying to make is that age has nothing to do with ability. Experience means a hell of a lot more than skill if they know what the hell they are doing. The made runs last night that i barelt seen all year in any Div 1, Div 2 or premier game all year long and they were doing it all over the place. For the most part our guys were faster and fitter and the skill levels were not very far off. the experience and game savvy they brought was awesome. Those 2 factors meant more than being fitter and faster.

Where is the youth?

Coaching at the youth levels is where the experience, style of play etc is not coming in. Most youth coaches at a lot of levels are more than happy to have their boys hump the ball forward and chase it down as there will be mistakes by the defenders and then you can pounce on them and score some goals. Defending is made easy as all they have to do is hump the ball as far forward as possible. the kids i coached had a hell of a time trying to learn to play the ball on the ground and let the ball do a lot of the work beacuse they had been told to get it forward, get it forward get it forward. I was at a game this year where the new coach was giving them shite for passing a ball back and swinging it around trying to look for an opening to move it. He wanted the run and ball over the top. It was unreal. We need better coaching not on the technical side of the game but on the mental and game play side.

Holy fcuk do i ramble.

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude said:
Who the hell would be a good fit for that role, in the Valley? Let me think here...ummmm, Billy Jackson? Great guy, but has lost too much fitness. Jeeze, you know, I can't think of anyone. Not fcuking one.

I hate to jump into this debate... cause it's going nowhere fast. But I thought I would throw out a couple of names for Dude: Cam Wilmots and Rav Turre (Sp?). Both are big, fit, fast, hold up well, finish and have the fitness. One of those two would be my starting targetman.

One man, one vote (cheers Aves :p )

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sage said:
I hate to jump into this debate... cause it's going nowhere fast. But I thought I would throw out a couple of names for Dude: Cam Wilmots and Rav Turre (Sp?). Both are big, fit, fast, hold up well, finish and have the fitness. One of those two would be my starting targetman.

Cam Wilmets is a very dangerous player. Unorthodox, but that's what makes him better than many.

Who is picking this team anyway? Maybe we should move this topic to a new thread. FVSL ALLSTARS. Who's the moderator anyway?

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sage said:

Throw humble Sage in the mix even though Nukes since the day I met him thinks you suck, Slaney without question, agree with Rav and Cam, and I would throw a couple Langley boys in too. All before #22.

Knees United

Aug 27, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

bulljive said:
I don't see anybody coming anywhere near Rizal's 20+ goals so he is doing something right as an 18 year old.

Rizal owes all he knows to the great coaching he's had over the last couple of years.....and no I'm NOT talking from the fine Delta program he's currently playing for.

Back on topic, I've been listening to all the young guys / old guys banter and call me Swisse but I'm stuck in the middle. Both sides have good arguements, "young guys" on their own would be dismantled and wouldn't see it coming but the "old" guys due to lack of high intense training all season long would see it coming and be able to do nothing about it....end result in either case, an good ol' fashion ass kicking.

If the thought is some older "cagier" type of players are needed to balance the team why not look at who can offer that but is still training and playing twice a week in the show.

I doubt Muzz would have had a more productive or effective a season that PAU's Billy Jackson has had....size, strength, a chip on his shoulder and a lack of speed, sounds like Muzz to me!!! FYI...he's scored 10 + goals and many of them of high quality. Shultz from Delta - still one of the strogest and fittest bastards you see in the league. K. Williams....everyone says he slow and can't play - beg to differ. Laity - again, I guy who gets the game, can run and is big and strong. Eddy, HOS etc.......

Old and young but pull from the Premier league is my vote....a well balanced team with fittness & legs combined with some good old fashioned F.V. grit and experience could make for a competitive team.....especially in a one-off game.

Regards,
Switzerland

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I was about to have a go at Dude for this:
Billy Jackson? Great guy, but has lost too much fitness.
then Knees said exactly what I was thinking... Have you seen Billy play this year??? Why do you ASSUME he's unfit???
I'm not a fence sitter and I guess what I said about Muzz or how I said it was taken out of context... He was a great player, but unfortunately is now a good player... Full stop... Age catches up to you...
As for neverhasbeens, Ballbaby should seriously think about himself in a different light... I'm sure I have but don't remember seeing you play in your "hayday" (says a lot I guess)... However,I am pretty sure you brought energy, toughness, knowledge and an understanding of the game which many kids today do not have... Call them intangables you cannot teach... 'If you fail to accept that, then that is what has likely held you back as a player.' Except that you and everyone you've mentioned in the last day are OLD with the exception of the promising kids you coach...

FVSL Premier Allstars vs 0-35 would be a joke!!! Yes Marshall may kick some young kid for being too quick and Muzz may throw a few elbows, but I'm certain frustration from the old boys would not help their cause...

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's getting lost in all this is that Bulljive tried to actually make a point. There are more holes in his post than his head, but the lad didn't mention Wall-Mart once and we should all take a moment to reflect on his big step... and shudder.

Hey, no one thought the fish would walk out of the water either.

Its the same as the Reed and Thomo bullshit everything is watered down its not like it used to be. if the soccer used to be so much better in your guys day why the fukc couldn't Canada do anything back then our now.
The segment is on file here on TTP. I do suggest you go back and listen to it, but this time try it while you're awake. I suggested the same thing to Thomo too. Reed, with Thomo in the room, was talking about the VMSL not the FVSL. Our league has 14 teams in it and only 10 are remotely competitive each week. It's kinda like yours, but with 4 more teams, thus creating the watering down comments.
Its a different style of play.
I can only half agree with you on this. I would take it a step further and say it's a completely different generation. Someone once called it the X-Box generation. Kids are not brought up in the same fashion as we...well me, Balls,Regs, LFC2, Dude and the like. Old guys like RangerForever called a stomach cramp a case of the salami on rye extra mayo at 3:00ams the rest of us called it a stitch or gas. Kids today call it a bloody lateral gastrula infection. A nasty kick to the shin was just that back then. If you could walk you could play now it's 4 weeks off, 6 weeks of physio and it's called a a third degree laceration of the 4th metacarpal. Hell even doggies have been replaced by ladders and karaoke shuffles, ( :rolleyes: ) sit-ups with a fcuking big blue ball and so on... I can't wait for training. Kids can't wait for the coach to call it off becuase it's raining and American Idol is on. Remeber gravel?
We should be promoting the skill game and and have older guys helping teach smarter soccer to these young kids to combine with the skill.
I agree, but the youth has to want to learn it first doesn't he? Talent and 12 years of coach kissing your ass doesn't help. Youth coaches need to keep kids grounded something Balls does well I might add. These kids want respect, well respect is something earned and I think Balls coined it correctly in saying no one in a men's program could give a flying kick flip about any youth accomplishments if that kid is constantly turning over the ball in midfield or getting the shite clattered out of himself dribbling into a corner. And before any start, excluded me from this becuase I bring the beer. Experience is key, but to get that experience one has to be humble enough to keep his mouth shut, listen and work hard. For a large part kids today seem completely unwilling to do this let alone stick around in a club system, but rather choose to take their mittens in May, juggling skills and back heels from team to team looking for that lost youth pat on the bum they use to get from coach. And older guys also need to realize that as much as they want it will never be like the 'good old days' and they're going to have to adapt.

Deep breath... That out of my system

maybe put him in for 20-30 to chase or hopefully get a through ball his way. but I haven't seen him show much other skill other then the "fast as hell break away finishes".
Sorry Lion, but I've seen Wade and honest to god (not the one that helps Langley, the other one) Wade wouldn't even touch the ball vs. the Caps. I think it would be frankly embarrassing to have a "player" like that even on the park and I really tried to say that as delicately as I could... being a cnut and all.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness & Knees, fair enough. I bring up BJ for a reason, he's who came to mind as a big target man. But Guinness, if you're new saying BJ, and not Howes, you're not only punching holes in your own argument, you're being a homer. I'll re-phrase: Billy doesn't have the legs anymore. He'll always be fit; the guy is a work-out fanatic at 40 (or 41, or whatever it is now), and if I were a 21 year old hot blond bird, I'd be chasing him too. I'm not gay. Murray is quite a bit meaner than BJ, and just a plain better player right now.

This may all be moot, anyhow, if the rumblings about Howes being hurt are true.

As for Cam Wilmonts, yes, have to have him there. Mid or striker. I've always thought him most effective in the middle.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not defending BJ nor would I put him or Muzz on this years version of the FVSL Allstars... Plain and simple... No I'm not a hater... BJ has a had a good season and isn't as slow as you think... I've played with Murray before and respect him a great deal, however I wouldn't put him on this team...
Kiwi is differrent gravey though!!!

As for the Neil Martin pick last week, I'll answer your head banging on the keyboard question: The guy has had a great season and although unorthadox he is diceptively fast and very strong on the ball... I don't really think he's an Allstar in the sense of the word, but he would play off a guy like Reese well... I guess he's the target man I'd pick for this years squad...
Ironic how he's the target man I'd have over Muzz this time around... Faster, stronger and can be quite nasty... He is from Belfast after all... Stop living in the past, deal with what you have today...

29andholding

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude said:
It took me a while to respond, because I was busy smashing my last keyboard to bits with my forehead when I read this.

No piss take from Dude here. I am sure all who know and accept Dude read this and simply chuckled to themselves. Bet he is still picking pieces of the delete key from his hair.

Guiness with his little brother Lion vs Dude. Our very own Pratt and Taylor.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So, Neil has one good year, and that's enough for you to name him a starting striker on an all-star team, over a guy who has had an all-star career, and would out class Neil on any field? Do you want the team to do well, or are you just out to give pats on the back? Neil plays the game facing one direction- forward. Does he even understand the word "possession"? Now, I'm giving this kid a hard time...I do like him as a player, as a person, and he's always had a funny, gangly, dog chasing his tail sort of way of getting the job done. He has his place, for sure, in today's FVSL Premiership. My contention is that he has feasted on a less than bumper crop year in the division. Too many dykes with too many holes. Fast, sure, always has been...though when you're born with 7' long legs, I do hope you're fast. Too bad he can't win anything in the air. Toughness? We are talking about Neil, right? Nasty? In the Howes category?

And you get you pot where?

Don't answer. :rolleyes:

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1989 called, they want there team sheet back

It's a good job you've been chosen to select this squad Dude... For a minute there, I thought there may be an allstar team full of premier players wanting the commitment and hard work that goes along with a battle week in and out... I guess I almost thought you'd know what it's like???
Now scram, I'm fcuking busy this week!!!

cainy

Dec 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, alot of generalizations about young and old players. I think it would be better to judge players on an individual basis. If your goal is to try and win the game, then yes i would include vets in the squad.
I would have Kevin Saunders sweeping behind Aves, and Pete Hjorth. I would have Keegan Munn wide right Moe Mahjoub wide left. Darren Hozle, Curtis from Whalley, and Rave Turre, in the middle, Rave deing the more advanced player. Up front Muzz and Cam Willmets. Our new keeper Jacob Hansen from trinity is fantastic, but Bekar or Millsy or Wangner would be good fits too. That lineup gives you size speed and intelligence in the back.They can also move the ball well especially with Saunders. Outside you have a natural left footer who takes players on and makes them look silly on the left, and a stud who can do the same on the right. Keegan can defend well, jumps out of his skin and has great speed. In the middle you get a couple of fit work horses who are all rounders, and a skill guys to link up with the forwards, and will score goals. Up front you have another left footer with speed and a target man who brings intellegence and physical presence.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
cainy said:
Wow, alot of generalizations about young and old players. I think it would be better to judge players on an individual basis. If your goal is to try and win the game, then yes i would include vets in the squad.
I would have Kevin Saunders sweeping behind Aves, and Pete Hjorth. I would have Keegan Munn wide right Moe Mahjoub wide left. Darren Hozle, Curtis from Whalley, and Rave Turre, in the middle, Rave deing the more advanced player. Up front Muzz and Cam Willmets. Our new keeper Jacob Hansen from trinity is fantastic, but Bekar or Millsy or Wangner would be good fits too. That lineup gives you size speed and intelligence in the back.They can also move the ball well especially with Saunders. Outside you have a natural left footer who takes players on and makes them look silly on the left, and a stud who can do the same on the right. Keegan can defend well, jumps out of his skin and has great speed. In the middle you get a couple of fit work horses who are all rounders, and a skill guys to link up with the forwards, and will score goals. Up front you have another left footer with speed and a target man who brings intellegence and physical presence.

You know Cainy, I was commenting on the cockiness of some young players but that certainly does not apply to Keegan Munn. He has an excellent attitude and whenever we play your squad in an exhibition game, he is all class. If you have some advice for him, he readily accepts it. As a matter of fact he needs to develop some cockiness (confidence) and trust his abilities. A great person and a very good player.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness,

It's hard being one of the few guys around here who actually likes you. Good guy, good to have a beer with, but man, are you ever fcuking out to lunch.

Howes, not to mention all those vets mentioned in Ball's post don't know what it's like to battle week in, week out? OK Sunshine.

How many lives do you have? The more rope I give you, the more times you hang yourself.

cainy

Dec 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
kokanee said:
You do know Ravi is not the cental mid for us but the pathetic forward. I think your thinking of Jas Mattoo.
I would make him one muppet:rolleyes: an advanced central mid/ third forward. with 2 holders like Hoss and Curtis it's not a stretch for him to play just behind the front two. Come on use a little imagination

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0