Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [FVSL Premier] Vote for Muzz

Vote for...

• Total voters

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [FVSL Premier] Results & Banter - March 2006

Muzz possibly tore a calf muscle tonight so it looks like he's gonna need to give up his spot on the allstar team.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

In his prime (10 years ago) Muzz was playing Div.1 with the Fort Langley Islanders no??? Surely Dude, Aves, or RF can explain why the world's best striker (next to Kiwi) would play Div.1??? I guess as an 18 year old I scored more goals in premier than Muzz did that season!!! DUH!!!

It's funny how the older we all get the less we appreciate the new players taking our places and continue to think the league is "watered down" or "not as tough" or "doesn't have 2 good strikers in the whole division"...

I've seen and played against every striker in premier this season and there are atleast 5 that would be a handful to the likes of Avery, Bailey or McLean... Dude-jism strikes again.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs said:
Muzz possibly tore a calf muscle tonight so it looks like he's gonna need to give up his spot on the allstar team.

He had an incredibly difficult time getting to the vehicle that was moved to about 15 feet away after the game and beers last night. It looked painful and he was in rough shape. I would say he will be in tough to be fit for any games in next little while. Mind you i am an idiot so who knows.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Then fcking hell Guinness, list a GOOD striker. Sorry, but Neil would be dead, fcuking dead, and completely ineffective against the Caps. At least Howes has a brain on his shoulders and understands the game, and would bring a calming presence to a young team. Besides that, he doesn't need to rely on the mistakes of the opposition to be effective in breaking them down. The strikers you listed do.

This is what you don't seem to get...it's one game, not a season, not even a barn hopping tour. One game. And, what you need to consider is, who would help the team out more in that one game? If you're going to throw out names, at least give names that would makes sense at that level, for one game. Guys that can raise their level for the occasion, not "strikers" whom feast on the lucky bounce, because you know what? Against the Caps, on turf, there won't be many cough ups.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

We are on topic you knob. Your thread, though mildly ammusing, is a piss take. Let's keep it that way.

Although I thought you were taking the piss when you listed Neil as a striker for this all-star team, I think you were actually being serious.

Daft, but serious.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Guinness,

Enough of the crap. You've dug yourself a hole you can't get out of. Here's the facts. You can take many of the Masters players that you allude to as being too old and I guarafcukentee you they should/could make the OPEN FVSL allstar team. No doubt. You are trying to create this facade of age as being the defining characteristic as to why these players could not compete. One defining characteristic that you fail to mention is the soccer intelligence that these players have over these young whippets that you feel are going to make the difference. If you fail to accept that, then that is what has likely held you back as a player.

I'm so sick and tired of watching fast, skillful players play so utterly stupid. No vision or understanding of the game. No creativity. Just make a few moves, run fast, shoot, and hope for the best. I've played against your FVSL Allstars in various competitions in recent times, so I know what i'm talking about. There are some good young players out there but don'tthink for one second that Muzz, Bey, Marini, Hjorth, Ellenwood, Bailey, Aves, Mclean etc.....could not win a spot over any young prospect. The real question is why is the situation so? Instead of trying to paint a pretty picture the way you wish it was, address the real issue. Why can all these old farts still outplay the younguns?

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Ballbaby said:
Why can all these old farts still outplay the younguns?

Ooooh.........sounds like an exhibition game is on the cards ;)

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

This reeks of one man's plight to get said one man's younger ass on the squad. GUINNESS.

Some of you are suggesting #22 is one of top 2 strikers. Nuts. Sure he scores, against teams that have a hard time remembering they have a game let alone showing up to play when Dewdney is on the week's agenda. Granted he finishes, but let's say he plays for Langley vs. PAU who actually show up to play when Langley is the opposition. You telling me #22 would make the difference against a good, veteran, organized back line that are actually focussed on the task at hand?

Muzz for something.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sage said:
Ooooh.........sounds like an exhibition game is on the cards ;)

Ahh sorry Sage, but I include you in the old farts category. :D

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Really though.
Exhibition game should shut these old fcuks up.

how bout an over 35s allstars vs prem.
or how bout
PAU vs Surrey United 35s.

I think it could be fun.
Cainy, can you set this up?

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Ballbaby said:
Guinness,

Enough of the crap. You've dug yourself a hole you can't get out of. Here's the facts. You can take many of the Masters players that you allude to as being too old and I guarafcukentee you they should/could make the OPEN FVSL allstar team. No doubt. You are trying to create this facade of age as being the defining characteristic as to why these players could not compete. One defining characteristic that you fail to mention is the soccer intelligence that these players have over these young whippets that you feel are going to make the difference. If you fail to accept that, then that is what has likely held you back as a player.

I'm so sick and tired of watching fast, skillful players play so utterly stupid. No vision or understanding of the game. No creativity. Just make a few moves, run fast, shoot, and hope for the best. I've played against your FVSL Allstars in various competitions in recent times, so I know what i'm talking about. There are some good young players out there but don'tthink for one second that Muzz, Bey, Marini, Hjorth, Ellenwood, Bailey, Aves, Mclean etc.....could not win a spot over any young prospect. The real question is why is the situation so? Instead of trying to paint a pretty picture the way you wish it was, address the real issue. Why can all these old farts still outplay the younguns?

Same old bullshit. Agreed that the soccer intelligence of a lot of young guys coming up isn't quite there and way to much holding on to the ball, quick moves,shoot from anywhere. However the old timers in the end may have the intelligence but would give there left nut to be able to do half of what these kids can do. I will agree that putting #22 and Rizal upfront "together"will result in a hell of an easy day for the caps. Its the same as the Reed and Thomo bullshit everything is watered down its not like it used to be. if the soccer used to be so much better in your guys day why the fukc couldn't Canada do anything back then our now. Its a different style of play. We should be promoting the skill game and and have older guys helping teach smarter soccer to these young kids to combine with the skill. Not calling them shite players. Sure some older guys can still play but there seems to be a complete lack of respect for the young guys coming in. I don't see anybody coming anywhere near Rizal's 20+ goals so he is doing something right as an 18 year old.

Demolition

Sep 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

bulljive said:
Sure some older guys can still play but there seems to be a complete lack of respect for the young guys coming in.

And there will always be, untill the young guys earn the respect. :rolleyes:

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

LION said:
Really though.
Exhibition game should shut these old fcuks up.

Correct.
And a good old fashioned Paul Marshall step in to shut you up.
Again. ;)

2005 Exhibition:
Rangers Masters 3 PAU 2

TTP lads,

:p

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

bulljive said:
Same old bullshit. Agreed that the soccer intelligence of a lot of young guys coming up isn't quite there and way to much holding on to the ball, quick moves,shoot from anywhere. However the old timers in the end may have the intelligence but would give there left nut to be able to do half of what these kids can do. I will agree that putting #22 and Rizal upfront "together"will result in a hell of an easy day for the caps. Its the same as the Reed and Thomo bullshit everything is watered down its not like it used to be. if the soccer used to be so much better in your guys day why the fukc couldn't Canada do anything back then our now. Its a different style of play. We should be promoting the skill game and and have older guys helping teach smarter soccer to these young kids to combine with the skill. Not calling them shite players. Sure some older guys can still play but there seems to be a complete lack of respect for the young guys coming in. I don't see anybody coming anywhere near Rizal's 20+ goals so he is doing something right as an 18 year old.

Agreed on the bold font part of your post. Actually, I am teaching the young kids. One is currently in Holland with Sparta Rotterdam. 6-7 of them are going to make their provincial team. 4 of them have Glasgow Celtic watching them closely. One of the most important things I am teaching them is to show respect and humbleness. This will open doors for them and really it is THE ONLY WAY THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING!

As for these old farts, on our SU Master's team, most have played University at a time when getting a scholarship was like pulling teeth. Several have played professional. Some have played for their country. I'm not blowing smoke here, check for yourself.

Here's the difference that I find with "some" of the young guys. When I was 17-18, I played senior men's soccer for Langley in the PCSL, a newly formed team made up of the best players around bar none. Sudeyko, Bowkett, Horrocks, Massesnder, Rohla, Girard, Hazeldine, Roberts, McKecherin, the Connor brothers, Nonni, Mario Baff, Cuthbert, etc........I learned so much. Chris Bennett was the coach. I respected those players who were 6-7 years older than me in a way that they would go out of their way to help me learn. I wanted to learn. They didn't give a shite what you accomplished at the youth level. The game was at a different level. Some of the young guys today do not approach the game in the same manner. They are cocky. They know it all. Not all, some. Yet, these players I refer to as some, also start and star for their respective teams. Yes, they look flashy. Yes, they have incredible skill, but they do not know how to play at a level to get them to the next level. Are there older players who can guide and hellp these guys learn? Yes, but you may have to venture out and find the environment themselves. They have to acknowledge that they have lots to learn like we did when we were young. I respect any player of any age who takes this approach. I still take this approach.

When I hear Guinness having a go at whether Howes should be available for selection, I have to laugh and cringe at the same time. Yeah, Howes played for Fort Langley Islanders, but he also played for UBC, Metro Ford Wolves, Winnepeg (CSL...might have to confirm that one), as well as coaching at numerous camps for many years. What have some of these FVSL stars done?

I don't want to get in a pissing match, but understand what's transpiring here. Howes never asked to be considered and really he is being used as our "model" for the Master player who still has fitness and skill to play one game amongst some of the budding young FVSL players. He was chosen as the focal point because someone decided to give the reasons as to why he shouldn't be chosen and they were invalid.

Believe me, if young players want to learn like we used to want to learn, it's right in front of their eyes. It's all about attitude. All the old farts on my team have always had the right attitude. It has helped them in every facet of their lives.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

On a side note and not to get too off topic but we played a VMSL Div 1 team alst night. We won 4-2 but really, the score should have read 14-2. Young fast players. Some with very good attitudes, some who are simply out of line. I guess we were too physical? :rolleyes: Yet, one of our our players takes a punch to the head. We witnessed 2 temper tantrums last night, one consisting of a soccer boot thrown in frustration.
Yeah, they could trap a ball. Yeah, they could run like the fricken wind. Yeah, they lost. Alan Massender at 50 years old simply could not get beat. Players more than half his age and so fast could not beat Massender. Yeah he is experienced but he was just as savvy at age 21. Compare him at that age. Meet the man and analyze his attitude and you will really get the point. I still am learning from him and respect him in the same manner I did when I was 18.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

I never said Razel and #22 should play together. They would not complement each other at all.
One of them with a target man. obviously.

Ranger.
Yah, the old Fashioned hip check when you push it by the last man in an exhibition match. ( no yellow or red card shown)
Fun times had by all.

honestly.
a real ref and some linesman.
youngs guys by 3.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Yowzi, great post and insight Ballbaby.

Agree with your take on the kid's of today, not all, but enough to generalize about the current generation. These kid's think that attendance in academies and playing metro is the big time and should step right onto premier squads. I have had close to 10 come through our program this year who finished youth metro last year or at least within two years. I have 1 kid out with us right now. Might be me, who knows. For the most part, they are not willing to put in the time, and when not handed spots, slowly fade away. I think I know who this Razel kid is, he is one of the special ones, as he has scored goals on a decent team.

Analogy. Teddy Sheringham at 40 can play at a extremely high level still. Not with a group of 40 year old's, but a bunch of young studs. Now keeping all in perspective, can Murray play on a team of a nice mix of young and old on a FVSL all star team vs. a semi pro local team at best, of course he can. That is what the argument was when this all started, not whether he was the best striker in the valley.

All off topic, but I know Skip's royalty check will be HUGE this month.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

LFC2 said:
Yowzi, great post and insight Ballbaby.

Agree with your take on the kid's of today, not all, but enough to generalize about the current generation. These kid's think that attendance in academies and playing metro is the big time and should step right onto premier squads. I have had close to 10 come through our program this year who finished youth metro last year or at least within two years. I have 1 kid out with us right now. Might be me, who knows. For the most part, they are not willing to put in the time, and when not handed spots, slowly fade away. I think I know who this Razel kid is, he is one of the special ones, as he has scored goals on a decent team.

Analogy. Teddy Sheringham at 40 can play at a extremely high level still. Not with a group of 40 year old's, but a bunch of young studs. Now keeping all in perspective, can Murray play on a team of a nice mix of young and old on a FVSL all star team vs. a semi pro local team at best, of course he can. That is what the argument was when this all started, not whether he was the best striker in the valley.

All off topic, but I know Skip's royalty check will be HUGE this month.

LFC2,

Thank you for summing it all up nicely. Excellent points.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0