Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [FVSL Premier] Results & Banter October 08'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
i don't even know what a handball is anymore, too many different interpretations amoungst the shotty reffing. Is anyone else out there concerned about the ref situation considering the $ they get paid per game? If they were my employee's getting $30 an hour I would expect a little more consistency and effort......like keeping up with the play, etc. I understand the problem with the abuse, but they are putting us in bad situations with some of their game management. CS...any comment?
For example, what consitutes a dangerous tackle from behind....isn't any tackle from behind or side supposta be a foul according to the new rules even if you do get the ball?

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm sure this is ment for a different thread. But since you brought it up. Refs are hard to come by. There is a real shortage for refs let alone good ones. Canada has a great masters soccer program and so many players keep playing when they could have gotten into Reffing or coaching. Not many kids get into refing cause the the pay is siht for the amount of abuse they have to put up with. It looks like they get paid $30 an hour but especially in the Fvsl the amount of travel really takes away allot of the cash on travel exspences. Lineing is even less like $15 hour and that's before travel $$. Linesmen really make a huge difference to the game. It's a crime that the sihtty Burnaby mens league has linesmen yet div 1 FVSL does not. Why?? Travel time and exspences. Thanksgiving weekend we had a Ref who usually lines or does div 2-3. But due to shortages he got the call up. The FVSL in my opinion needs to pay allot more $$$$ to the refs. That means each team would have to buck up. You wouldn't see a huge improvement at first. But soon enough more people would get into reffing cause it would make for a great part-full time job. You would then be able to test and condition each Ref and field only the best instead of the same guys week after week. Not all are bad. But what they see is fair or unfair is what THEY feel is correct. To many times refs very in their opinion and every game is different. Yes that is part of the game. But a Ref should be a PART of the game. Not so much of the game that it effects the outcome of that game. After all they are only human. And if they don't like you. They never will. If they like you. They put up with much more. I say pay refs more and let's build for the future. Cause really I for one would never drive across the valley to get yelled at for the peanuts they get paid.
Ps handing out more cards to stop the abuse is not the answer. Better officiating to stop the abuse is the answer. All this card crap does is make money for the league and not the Ref. (cards are up this year and the verbal abuse is the same so it's not working).
One more thing to add. For the refs who watch to much hockey. I know were in Canada but hockey and soccer are 2 different sports.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree w/ most, except on a couple of points:

The cards for abuse: no matter how shitty and out of it the ref is, the punnishment for abusing him has to be severe. Specifically pointing at your club and you. Control your players, and this isn't your problem.

Second, spend some time watching the EPL. Sorry to say, it is a hard game, with hard tackles, and big men. It is a contact sport. Just because your players shy away from that doesn't mean that it isn't an element to the game that can and should be used to another's advantage.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
It looks like they get paid $30 an hour but especially in the Fvsl the amount of travel really takes away allot of the cash on travel exspences. Lineing is even less like $15 hour and that's before travel $$. Linesmen really make a huge difference to the game. .

are you kidding, driving to a game or a job is part of living in the province of BC the above stated arguement is nonsense. I drive to work as do most; $30 an hour is more than most make in this city, more than most whom are educated.
As for the ref, when a ref is in charge and makes the right calls players know and don't act stupid. When a ref is a joke, the players know it and take advantage. Not defending our stupidity btw. Point being, do your job and the game will flow as intended.
As for prem., good win PAU. Can anyone stop the PAU powerhouse or do they simply control their destiny?;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Would you do it for $30.00?

Not me. Not if it was in my backyard, accross the street, or accross the city.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
steppy... there is no 4-hour minimum. would you spend 3.5-4 hours away from your family on the weekend to make $60? or line a game for $30? most refs do it because they ENJOY it, not because they need the money.

you are an amateur player... you make mistakes... and occassionally have a poor performance. if you were berated by 40 people for 90 minutes every week, would you come back?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've had 7 shoc-king performances on the trot. I get berated for 90+ minutes a weekend and another 3 hours during the week and I don’t get paid a dime, but I still come back. Suck it up princess.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
that's because your a masochist. your closet full of gag-balls, flogging whips, and handcuffs are only reinforcement of this fact.

PS... your missus says the nut piercing home-kit you ordered will be there next week.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
steppy... there is no 4-hour minimum. would you spend 3.5-4 hours away from your family on the weekend to make $60? or line a game for $30? most refs do it because they ENJOY it, not because they need the money.

you are an amateur player... you make mistakes... and occassionally have a poor performance. if you were berated by 40 people for 90 minutes every week, would you come back?

fukc me guys, I'm just stating what I see and hear in more than half of the games played/watched/read about. I pay to play and pay them to ref, were all in it for recreation but we as players are told to act/behave/respect one another and our consequences are to be dealt with according to a panel. I agree, but also think the ref's need to be a little more accountable considering they HAVE A HUGE part in what goes on in a game. Sorry guys, I feel shame now......and I used to ref in Cali. making good tax free money all day like most of them do now.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You don't now and that's the point. Reffing on the weekend and being paid in cash while away at University is a pretty good gig to pay for expenses.

It's a shitty deal out here to ref "for the love of the game".

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
you make mistakes... and occassionally have a poor performance

sixfyv, I have of known Stepchild for all 34 years and the above quote is wrong. I don't think he has ever made a mistake :rolleyes:

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
dude I do agree that any abuse should be delt with. But my question to you is. What is abuse? I've seen reds given to players when saying "that call was fcukin horse shti" yet I've seen guys get away with "pull you head out of your ass and open your eyes" So what is abuse. ? Again different to every player and every Ref.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reffing on the weekend and being paid in cash while away at University is a pretty good gig to pay for expenses.

It's a shitty deal out here to ref "for the love of the game".

dude, I am very sure most ref's have a J.O.B. that pays for expenses....except for those retiree's that seem to do way to many games in the fraser valley. Remember, I'm not bashing ref's as much as I am asking for them to be just as accountable as they demand us to be....and overall I feel that half of them are not. There are some good ref's out there for sure and when they control the game, no one complains.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
dude on your second point. I have been to an epl game. A few actually. And sat right down where I could hear the players talking to each other. Those players chat the Ref in ways that you wouldn't want your kids sitting next to me to hear. Abuse??? As far as hard epl tackles. As far as I could tell all the hard epl tackles were just that. Hard epl tackles. Not deliberate attempts to injure. And when a player felt he was run at. What do you think he did. He bitches out or as we call it verbally abuses the official. Just like here. The only difference is it's all on tv and tape.And players are all held accountable. Ps so are the Refs.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
dude on your second point. I have been to an epl game. A few actually. And sat right down where I could hear the players talking to each other. Those players chat the Ref in ways that you wouldn't want your kids sitting next to me to hear. Abuse??? As far as hard epl tackles. As far as I could tell all the hard epl tackles were just that. Hard epl tackles. Not deliberate attempts to injure. And when a player felt he was run at. What do you think he did. He bitches out or as we call it verbally abuses the official. Just like here. The only difference is it's all on tv and tape.And players are all held accountable. Ps so are the Refs.

oh well played. well played indeed.

cloughie

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Poco 0 PAU 3

Still no recap from Cloughie!?! :rolleyes:

Big build up for what turned out 2 b a one sided affair, 2 good teams and only one played to their potential. Well Done Guinness, for now. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out with the top 5 split by 5 points it could go to anyone who puts 4 games together in the 2nd half. ACBC still to be at their best and Langley about to get better. Good for the league that so many are challenging the TOP teams from the past few years. Give credit to Peace Arch though, they are under pressure to repeat and they keep getting it done in the BIG games.

It doesn't seem right that Horvath scored the Winner in each of the last 2 PAU/POCO games and had a different jersey on for each. (wee Shite comes to mind):cool:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd qualify swarming the ref as abuse.

On your second point, fair enough, but if you don't think there are late tackles at the highest levels, or elbows up on headers, you're dreaming. Every athlete everywhere is going to push the boundaries, no matter what. If physicality is a strength of yours, and you enjoy getting stuck in, you need to use that tool.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
dude, I am very sure most ref's have a J.O.B. that pays for expenses....except for those retiree's that seem to do way to many games in the fraser valley. Remember, I'm not bashing ref's as much as I am asking for them to be just as accountable as they demand us to be....and overall I feel that half of them are not. There are some good ref's out there for sure and when they control the game, no one complains.

Steppy, I know exactly what you are trying to say.

Listen, it is very simply the rule of the land: you get what you pay for. Aspiring refs consider the "job", and then consider what is entailed in doing that job. Obviously they don't feel it is worth their while.

Law of the land says if you increase the compensation to the workforce supply, more will want to get into it. By doing this, you create more competition amongst the refs, and the better ones will stand out. It really is that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0