Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier FVSL Premier 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Squirt is right.

And here is a true story....last day of riding the bike park in Whistler last weekend. I’m in the line with my 6 YO. I see a kid in the opposing line, looks just like @YoAdrian . I call out. Kid looks my way in confusion. My daughter says, “Hey, that kid goes to my school.”

Yup, the kid I mistook for you is a 12 year old. I was about to give him shite for being in town and not calling me for a beer.

Crazy thing? All true. I’d have taken a photo but my creep-o-meter was already hitting dark red / 10 years behind bars.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By the looks of things, seems they got hit the hardest with TWU & UFV players not available to them?

Then again, even without covid, those players wouldn't be available to them at this point in the season I guess.

Who is their coach/manager now? Reedy got canned for much less than these results, that's for sure!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
By the looks of things, seems they got hit the hardest with TWU & UFV players not available to them?

Then again, even without covid, those players wouldn't be available to them at this point in the season I guess.

Who is their coach/manager now? Reedy got canned for much less than these results, that's for sure!

Relying heavily on the Uni players to arrive was always a bad formula. Using them to improve your squad at the 1/3-1/2 mark, on the other hand, great formula.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it baffling that Surrey Uniteds men’s team is this bad. My son is at the club and trust me “one of if not the best club in BC and even Canada” are regular things spoken at club meetings. How is that so if the top of the pyramid is complete Mince? Sorry U18 isn’t the top. Why are they not able to rebuild with the so called quality coming out of the youth system. I still can’t believe the disconnect between youth and playing for your elite men’s team. Really this is the realistic goal. College/the men’s team.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When SU jumped from VMSL to FVSL, I believe the big reason was to improve exactly what you are talking about @bulljive - strengthening the youth to adult pathway within the club.

Is it too early to say a colossus failure?

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m not involved in what goes on with that stuff but my feeling is they really don’t care about the men’s program. It doesn’t bring in money, parents of youth players probably aren’t to focused on its importance. Pre-covid I certainly never heard about the premier teams.

We did that stuff at ND. Put on a free little youth camp for an hour. Then the kids stuck around and watched us play. Had youth players be ball boys. Stuff like that trying to create a connection. At Coastal we were constantly bringing out the youth players to come train. Called them up for games.

I think KNVB etc tried to start the youth connection but it takes time and needs to come from the club level. Even with the young young kids. 5-9 year olds love when the big kids around the club know their name and stuff. It’s cool, forms connections. There is more to a club then everyone wearing the exact same jersey and track tops. What does that mean if you skip one big aspect of the actual connection. There needs to be a goal for kids, people to look up. maybe the are doing this and I’m way off base but I certainly haven’t seen it. The premier team should be playing for free and a part of it is a little bit of giving back to the club.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
They have some quality players on the field. UBC striker played the 90!
They have some quality players for sure. X whitecap residency guy, valley all star etc etc.

I would get in trouble with sharing what I really think.
so,
Forza Coastal!

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly BullJive. I don’t think the SU prem players pay to play. It’s easy to set up but the clubs need to be behind it fully. Over time it starts feeding itself.

Fat.Ronaldo7

Jun 26, 2020
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the current rules, no permits for youth players are allowed due to players having to stay in their own team “bubbles” (don’t get me started on that)
I’d assume if this wasn’t the case then they would have some of SU u18s play? They did by all accounts pre Covid.
But yes to go from being in provincials every year to 4th or below in FVSL is a big fall from grace.

BigBadRedBull16

Jan 31, 2017
Tokens
Dirty Money
Relying heavily on the Uni players to arrive was always a bad formula. Using them to improve your squad at the 1/3-1/2 mark, on the other hand, great formula.

I’m certain every team in the lower mainland is strapped in some way without their general university players able to play. Our side alone is missing 2-4 players due to this. I’m sure there’s many teams missing players for this said reason.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When SU jumped from VMSL to FVSL, I believe the big reason was to improve exactly what you are talking about @bulljive - strengthening the youth to adult pathway within the club.

Is it too early to say a colossus failure?

I believe it is the right time for this statement. Timing is everything, @Regs , your timing has always been spot on.

No youth call-ups, massive. But Bully and Lion nailed it, no connectivity. I'm sure most would agree, trumpeting the Men's Premier team and creating the connection is a win / win. Youth players need good role models within the club to look up to. The connectivity pays dividends in so many ways.

With or without the uni players (remember, they would not have them this early), with or without the youth call-ups, the club should be strong enough in it's top 18 to sustain these challenges. Look at the stronger teams w/ in both leagues?

As far as I know, @knvb 's involvement was minor, mostly as dad to a talented young man getting called up. This lack of connectivity is higher up, and I'm sure the gap left by MFs passing is being felt.

Lastly, I was thinking about a pathway a certain coach has taken through the league, and the wake he's left behind, more like a tsunami. That's all I'll say.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it baffling that Surrey Uniteds men’s team is this bad. My son is at the club and trust me “one of if not the best club in BC and even Canada” are regular things spoken at club meetings. How is that so if the top of the pyramid is complete Mince? Sorry U18 isn’t the top. Why are they not able to rebuild with the so called quality coming out of the youth system. I still can’t believe the disconnect between youth and playing for your elite men’s team. Really this is the realistic goal. College/the men’s team.

Cuz kids are getting completely burned out after being chewed up in BCSPL for however many seasons they play there - many quit, lost interest even if they do continue playing, are fatigued, or a bit of maybe depression sets in as they realize their "career" is over as they are in FVSL and not playing in the champs league. (I know, I know, a bit extreme re: "career" but you get my point - these kids have their tires pumped from age 5 ..... )

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We did that stuff at ND. Put on a free little youth camp for an hour. Then the kids stuck around and watched us play. Had youth players be ball boys. Stuff like that trying to create a connection. At Coastal we were constantly bringing out the youth players to come train. Called them up for games.

This.

I don't think SU was doing this, but man it's been a long time since I was at the club. I know for certain there felt like a disconnect from youth to adults. When I was there, the ladies were the best in Canada. The men's still strong, relevant, and had a handful of guys who at one time were actually paid to play this game. Nothing like what you describe existed. If it did, it wasn't screamed from the rooftops.

SU is partly a victim of it's own model. Everything was pay-to-play. Clinics, extra academy coaching sessions to the youth teams not in HPL, you name it. Nothing was for free, everything at an added cost. My biggest beef was that if the players were div. 1 or under, they were just numbers. Creating something extra in terms of education in the game fell on the coach, most of whom had no connection to the game prior to becoming coaches. I did the best I could in my teams, but I had the connections to the game; my squads were atypical.

This model Lion & Bully speak of is so important, and really, so simple to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0