Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[FVSL Masters] 2007-2008 December/January Results and Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatanslow

Oct 2, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the SirM power rankings site one of the Delta lads was joking ( or at least I think he was ) that if they hadn't had two games forfeited to them 1-0 that they may have scored 100 goals this year. It got me thinking , and checking actually , and did you know that at their current pace White rock will give up 96 goals this year and Abbotsford 120 . :eek::eek:
Doesn't make our league look too good having teams like that in it now does it ! Maybe teams should apply to enter the FVSL Masters so maybe we can make sure they are going to be competitive. No league should ever have teams getting 15 and 13 goals scored on them . Shocking and it lowers the standard of our league. Hell in a 3 game stint Abby had 35 goals scored on them and White rock 28. Who does this help having games like this ?? Sure they are nice guys and all but really go back to Division 3 or where ever you came from so maybe you can compete. I know I might come off sounding like a cnut ......but really !!!

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
[FVSL Masters] 2007-2008 December Results and Banter

For December, talk amongst yourselves on this thread. Phats brought up a good point on the November thread though. How do you balance the need to add new teams/blood to this league with some teams fairly consistently getting beaten by double digits? (Sounds like JAGS on his blackberry).

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [FVSL Masters] 2007-2008 December Results and Banter

I thought there was a push to drop teams and get to 10 competitive teams instead of 12 with one or two that get consistently waxed (other than the drubbing Cracovia gave to Sapp) :eek:

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

This is the FVSL thread Freddy. Good topic for discussion though.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

We need more teams in the FVSL.
If we don't, the whiners in the VMSL ;) will have more insignificant ammo to justify taking a BC berth from us.
I know, preposterous as that seems, as you know, well, I'll let Coach explain. :D

Agree/disagree with you Phatso.
Need quality teams.
But, if we don't let more teams in to play, how do we get a second division created (which I think would be great) and inevitably they will get better as they add depth once they've been in the league for a while.
I'd personally still rather play more teams than only have 6 in our league for example.
And, as opposed to going into another league, I'd also rather make the trip to Maple Ridge :D than to West Van :D:D.

FVSLforever

moneyman

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

We need more teams in the FVSL.
If we don't, the whiners in the VMSL ;) will have more insignificant ammo to justify taking a BC berth from us.
I know, preposterous as that seems, as you know, well, I'll let Coach explain. :D

Agree/disagree with you Phatso.
Need quality teams.
But, if we don't let more teams in to play, how do we get a second division created (which I think would be great) and inevitably they will get better as they add depth once they've been in the league for a while.
I'd personally still rather play more teams than only have 6 in our league for example.
And, as opposed to going into another league, I'd also rather make the trip to Maple Ridge :D than to West Van :D:D.

FVSLforever

Well boys here is a simple idea why don't you set up a few exhibition games with our top 2 or 3 Fvsl master teams against some first or premier division teams and see how they match up. Alot of these teams look at Master soccer as Geriatric soccer. That's why the teams that are coming in really don't know what is coming at them. Some of the old boys playing premier or div 1 might look at this Masters division and realize that they can go play in this division and not look at as a step down. Also Rangerforever why don't you guys share some of the wealth, instead of signing 39 players sign only 23 that would leave enough for another team. The only reason you like coming to Maple Ridge is the food at the ferry terminal, and it's a close trip home to the grove.

$$$MAN

Phatanslow

Oct 2, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Rangerforever,
I hear you but really what is sport about ??? It is about competition !! I would rather play in a league with 6 or 8 teams knowing that if you weren't on your game come kickoff you could end up losing . Showing up and either winning by , or losing by, 7, 8 ,10. 13 or 15 goals does nothing good for anyone involved. The VSML is a better league because there is competition week in and week out , plain and simple. I don't mean that their top teams are better than our top teams , as the provincals would show, but after the top 3 in our league it drops off dramaticlly. And really when you say you wouldn't want to play in a 6 team league , what do you think you are playing in ?? How many teams really have a chance to win our league or end up in the cup final ?? I would say 3 maybe 4 as Aldergrove proved last year. Just getting extra games in isn't enough of a reason to have such weak teams in our league. I personally would rather drive a few miles and play in a stronger league , say an interlocking league with the VSML, than go to abbotsford and win by a touchdown !!

futbol

Jun 24, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Well said Phatanslow ! The truth is the over 40 league in the valley has to associate with the Fvsl league then there can be a Div 1. The over 40's never have to leave Div 1 but it will give the structure that is needed to grow the league. Much like the Westside boy's who went to Div 2 in the Vmsl with the idea of playing together in their golden years,(I believe their kicking arse in Div 2), there needs to be more options. Of course if the over 40's ever did form a Div 1 in the Fvsl , that might add another spot for the valley in the Provincials:)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Note:

I moved Phatanslow's post over from the old thread into this one as an easier reference.

Cheers,

Regs.

moneyman

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Rangerforever,
I hear you but really what is sport about ??? It is about competition !! I would rather play in a league with 6 or 8 teams knowing that if you weren't on your game come kickoff you could end up losing . Showing up and either winning by , or losing by, 7, 8 ,10. 13 or 15 goals does nothing good for anyone involved. The VSML is a better league because there is competition week in and week out , plain and simple. I don't mean that their top teams are better than our top teams , as the provincals would show, but after the top 3 in our league it drops off dramaticlly. And really when you say you wouldn't want to play in a 6 team league , what do you think you are playing in ?? How many teams really have a chance to win our league or end up in the cup final ?? I would say 3 maybe 4 as Aldergrove proved last year. Just getting extra games in isn't enough of a reason to have such weak teams in our league. I personally would rather drive a few miles and play in a stronger league , say an interlocking league with the VSML, than go to abbotsford and win by a touchdown !!

Ok Phatanslow you have to remember we don't play on the top teams so when you have 39 players signed this is when some of the top players don't play the full 90 minutes and some of the other 28 players scrap it out for playing minutes. The good teams always get better because really who wants to play on a losing team.

Let's make it a little interesting and maybe for after christmas since I should be back playing then have a little wager system.Maybe Sir M would like to be the oddsmaker.

Geu vs Surrey odds ?-1
Geu vs Aldergrove odds ?-1
etc etc what odds are we going to get to knock off some of the top teams? I might wager a few dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!
This would work if the top teams aren't afraid to bet!
Let's see I would probally say GEU Vs Rangers 100-1 odds I'd make that bet if I'm playing. Will you Rangerforever?

$$$MAN TRUMP

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I don't gamble.
My name is Rangerforever and I have a problem...:D
100-1 odds....Fcuk I'll even take that bet on put my money on GEU...;)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree Phatso.
I still would rather play more teams, locally, than the same teams 4 times a year.
Fcuk man it's Masters fitba...:confused:

hubs

Oct 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Moneyman now you want teams to bet ?? ........I'd make any bet with the odds of 100-1, who wouldn't you clown ??

I agree with the 30-40 players some teams have signed. It's a little ridiculous. One thing I've noticed playing this year is you never know if the A or B side of a team is going to show. I don't mean a couple of players either. Some teams seem to have a different 10-15 players every week. Spread the wealth if we want to be more competitive.

I've asked the qeustion before without much of a response , these teams like "Delta" that have the under 35's making a big difference for them....What's going to happen come cup or provincial time. Just because the VMSL does it why do we follow suit ??

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Concerning playing under 35's during league play... it makes a difference for the future.

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

these teams like "Delta" that have the under 35's making a big difference for them....What's going to happen come cup or provincial time.

We have 2 guys under 35 and yes they are quality players but I don't think they define our team. We still have a strong side when they aren't there. I do agree though that they will be very tough to replace come Cup time if we get there. Just means that the other guys are going to have to step up and contribute.

Phatanslow

Oct 2, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

I still would rather play more teams, locally, than the same teams 4 times a year.
Fcuk man it's Masters fitba...:confused:[/QUOTE]

Rangerforever,
Ask coach if it "just masters fitba "... actually ask anyone on your team !!
You guys sign players and put your team together for one reason and one reason only and that is to WIN :rolleyes:
Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with it . Actually there used to be a team who used to thump teams on a regular basis , The BRM , then they got alittle bored with the lack of competition so they went to the VSML where they got to play better competition each week. Is the idea to put together a Valley allstar team that will be able to walk through there own league with ease, just so they can compete with the VSML teams come provincal's time. If so well done you win !

banditsboss

Sep 24, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Here's a post for debate. If we all want this league to be the "grazing grounds" of stars of the past, then I think that every Masters team should be affiliated with a senior soccer team, albeit Metro, FV. Therefore you will have the "nags" coming into the Masters league and reconnecting with their old buddy's. This would make the 30 somethings available to play for the senior squad (maybe will they still belong). Good example's are Surrey United & Westside. Just an idea for discussion. I also think that if you have never played with or against a former member of the Winnipeg Fury or Edmonton Drillers, you are too young for the Masters'.

hubs

Oct 21, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs......I don't see how it makes a difference for the future . You're either over 35 or you're not. If not wait a year or two.....Give the playing time to 15-or20 guys sitting on the sideline.

moneyman

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

I don't gamble.
My name is Rangerforever and I have a problem...:D
100-1 odds....Fcuk I'll even take that bet on put my money on GEU...;)

Fcuk man it's Masters fitba...:confused:

Ok Big Fella lets see how about a little transfer till the season ends. Give us Barry on loan till the season ends and maybe one of your top midfielders and ask Coach if this would be more benificial to your team? I think it would be amazing what 2 of your top players would do on our team. You have to play us twice, just think 2 more of your players will actually get some minutes on the pitch, and maybe I might be giving you odds? Think about it, it's only Masters futbal!!!!!!

$$$MAN PEZIM

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Phatso: That's a load of crap man.
Yes, we sign LOTS of players to make sure we compete.
It's the whole reason we merged with the Firefighters.
We had like 10, they had 10.
Neither of us would compete and would struggle for numbers each week.
And, yes, we want to win.
We don't neccesarily always sign great players.
I'm led to believe that a certain side from Langley has like 25 guys signed?
If a guy wants to play with us, and we have room at the time, why not sign him?
I won't apologize for that.

We have one policy and that's the guys that are on (at any given time) will play a tad more against the teams we're competing with near the top.
And, we check our ego at the door come Cup time.
I'll admit that's not like most Masters teams so yes, we are guilty of that and take it a bit more seriously than others.
Yes, I'll admit that most of the guys on my team want to play past February 28. :rolleyes:

And singling us out here is IMHO an insult to the rest of the league, including yourselves.
Have you seen our results?
They're not exactly blow outs and we've had to bust our balls to get where we're at this year.
Every fcuking week has been tough.
Especially after Winnipeg.
We fully expect a match a match this Friday for example mate.
FULLY.

We have one guy under 35 and it will not affect us come BCs.
A loss yes, but it won't affect us.
Just like losing Barry after Winnipeg has not affected us.
Do we want him back?
A resounding yes, but it's not the end of the world.

Over and out,
RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0