Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Friends of Soccer Objects to NDP Anti-Soccer Stadium Ads

FriendsofSoccer

Apr 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
On Wednesday, April 1, the BC New Democratic Party ran a series of internet ads on several soccer-related websites condemning the renovation of BC Place, and falsely suggesting that the cost of the renovation is coming at the expense of healthcare and the homeless. We at Friends of Soccer find these ads extremely misleading and innapropriate. We call on the NDP to immediately back away from this irresponsible threat to the future of soccer in our province.

The claim in the ad that BC citizens must choose between a soccer-friendly stadium and social services is both false and offensive. The NDP is well aware that the BC Place renovations are to be financed by the future sale and development of the lands surrounding the stadium, along with future sponsorship funds surrounding naming rights. Neither source is drawn from the general revenue tax base that fund social programs. To suggest otherwise is alarmist to say the least.

The NDP is also aware that the BC Place renovations are crucial to the development of soccer in the province. Only two weeks ago, Vancouver was awarded a Major League Soccer team for 2011. The BC Place renovations promised by the current provincial government were overwhelmingly the deciding factor in the bid process. The threat made by Carole James to revoke the renovations could place the future of professional soccer in BC in doubt, and has the potential to choke soccer projects being undertaken in other parts of BC as well.

Carole James should also recognize that BC Place is a major economic engine for the citizens of BC. Every event held there pumps millions of dollars into the BC Tourism, Hospitality and Retail industries. It is BC's largest trade and exposition centre, hosting over 200 events every year. And it is also home to the BC Lions, a football team loved by people throughout the province. Without these renovations, it is unlikely British Columbia would be hosting the Grey Cup game in 2011. The global exposure this facility provides for BC is unsurpassed.

As citizens, we expect governments to be able to address a host of issues. We expect our governments to provide sustainable healthcare, while still encouraging economic growth in our cities and towns. We expect our governments to help those who are downtrodden, but we also insist that governments allow its working citizens the freedom to build a good quality of life for their families. To say we must choose between these priorities is a false choice, and any party who forces that choice is not capable of governing this province.

Friends of Soccer has always been, and continues to be, a non-partisan grassroots movement. We have always supported the efforts of those who help the game in BC, and we've fiercely opposed those who threaten the development of soccer in our province. I'm pleased to say that we've done this regardless of party affiliation. But in this election campaign, we cannot allow the future of soccer in BC to be once again cast into doubt for cheap political gain.

It is now up the BC New Democratic Party to make a clear statement committing their party to the BC Place renovations without modification of the current plans or budget.

Otherwise, they can be certain that we will not stand idly by in this election campaign.
14227231-1053870614276060848

More...

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
another reason not to vote ndp this may... but, dammit, there is no-one to vote for...:mad: hope there is some independent running in my riding...:rolleyes:

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not before i get my 2 cents you dont!

thats for your political message.......time to close the thread

you know what? i wanna see some world class soccer in vancouver. right now i'm watching the croats visit andora in a WC qualifier. The feild looks budget. (max capacity 4500). Reminds me of a caps game on shaw. Not to take anything away from Swanguard but we deserve world class here in vancouver. I'm young enough to rememeber how awful the 90's were.

:wa:

F
u
K

U

NDP

A
n
d

STICK IT UP YOUR ASS CAROL JAMES! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

My 5 cents!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are you kidding? Carol James is the best thing that's ever happened to the Libs and us right wingers. In recent history, Harcourt and Clak both oozed charisma, and were able to draw the middle ground over. Not this bird. She comes off as completely off her rocker every time she opens her mouth.

Its also a good thing for us soccer fans...how many otherwise ndp votes is she now going to send to the Greens or some other wasted vote?

You go girl!

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
keep up.

Dude you're absolutely correct, that woman is completely devoid of any personality.

not true, she has a personality - it's eco-feminazi, the sky-is-falling, b*tch...

i don't like anyone's policies... or at least their ability to keep to campaign promises...

how do we vote out port of vancouver, btw? then we can get the downtown stadium in... (I know, i know, you can't just like translink)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is not good for BC though, I lean as far right as one can without falling over, that being said I am a firm believer in the need for strong opposition as, at the end of the day, they (the politico's) are all crooks and snakes that serve their own interests and not the peoples.

It is really too bad the NDP don't have someone that at least doesn't contradict themselves everytime she opens her pie hole.

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is not good for BC though, I lean as far right as one can without falling over, that being said I am a firm believer in the need for strong opposition as, at the end of the day, they (the politico's) are all crooks and snakes that serve their own interests and not the peoples.

It is really too bad the NDP don't have someone that at least doesn't contradict themselves everytime she opens her pie hole.

would help, i guess, if opposition was better led and worked as it should... however, it's not like campbell would listen anyway...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is not the point. Like it or Lump it Campbell has absolute power right now, because the electorate gave it to him, it might not be so "almighty" if the morons on the left weren't so moronic.

Campbell's job is not to listen to the NDP, it is to listen to his constituents, who can be influenced by well researched plans comminucated to the constituents by the official opposition.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bill from FoS is waiting patiently to see what the NDP's plans are.

What we are aware of is the NDP look like they are going to offer a solution for BC Place in their platform.

they are appearing to look to try and finesse past these attack ads they have been running that appear to pit the moneys designated inside the BCPavCo Coffers to be a potential solution to do any of the following:
Feed and House the homeless
Stop Gangland Killings
Make Forestry a viable and profitable industry for BC

~waiting patiently ;)

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well the NDP released their much anticipated platform today...

On this issue...cue the crickets:

http://www.bcndp.ca/files/u108/2009_BC_NDP_Platform.pdf

Page 27 is the only place I have seen BC Place mentioned, again: NO SOLUTION PROPOSED, ONLY RHETORIC DAMNING THE LIBS AND CAMPBELL FOR SPENDING THE MONEY WHEN IT COULD HAVE GONE ELSEWHERE.

No moneys are allocated in their fiscal overview, no solutions or alternatives to what they tar and feather the Liberals over are offered.

What a joke.

this document holds nothing of value in my eyes (BC Place and other issues near and dear to my heart aside) It is more slam-the-libs-and-gordo rhetoric.

They wax eloquently on investing in infrastructure and being green etc...but nothing concrete...

And nothing on the stadium save an attack with red herring smell all over it comparing the moneys generated and legislated to stay inside BC Pav Co with a municipal civic centre...

As far as I know BC pav Co controls and operates Canada Place and BC Place. That is it.
http://www.bcpavco.com/ http://www.bcpavco.com/pdf/funding.pdf
/end rant

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
well the ndp released their much anticipated platform today...

On this issue...cue the crickets:

http://www.bcndp.ca/files/u108/2009_bc_ndp_platform.pdf

page 27 is the only place i have seen bc place mentioned, again: No solution proposed, only rhetoric damning the libs and campbell for spending the money when it could have gone elsewhere.

No moneys are allocated in their fiscal overview, no solutions or alternatives to what they tar and feather the liberals over are offered.

What a joke.

This document holds nothing of value in my eyes (bc place and other issues near and dear to my heart aside) it is more slam-the-libs-and-gordo rhetoric.

They wax eloquently on investing in infrastructure and being green etc...but nothing concrete...

And nothing on the stadium save an attack with red herring smell all over it comparing the moneys generated and legislated to stay inside bc pav co with a municipal civic centre...

As far as i know bc pav co controls and operates canada place and bc place. That is it.
PavCo http://www.bcpavco.com/pdf/funding.pdf
/end rant

well done watson! Good investigating.
:D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any money they are going to try and push Biomass projects. Although I agree on many levels that large facilities should consider Biomass as an alternate to gas, it is by no means green, as the NDP and Libs are selling it to be:

• Biomass is dependant on a fuel that burns. Since the ministry won’t allow our most abundant fuel to be burned in BC (Coal), that limits us to wood waste.
• Wood waste is a by-product of what? That’s right, primary wood industry.
• Is the wood business strong right now? No. But again, we have tons of Coal available.
• Cleaning either coal or wood flyash requires the exact same technology, a technology not required w/ gas.
• Even after filtered, coal or wood biomass systems will still emit more than gas.

In general, I feel we need our big energy users to have any form of power available, and ability to use whatever is cheapest on the day. I local large user of power is now installing a biomass system as a means of having all types available…good move.

BUT…when these parties come out and try to pull the wool over your eyes about biomass systems being “Greener”, take it w/ a grain of salt, because they are anything but.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0