Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Formula 1: Discussion for the 2003 season.

Will the new qualifying rules in F1 make the racing more exciting?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I hope so.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Who cares. Racing sucks. All they do is go round and round. They aren't even athletes.:rolleyes:

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Formula 1 2003

Another F1 season kicks off with qualifying from Australia tonight. In provisional qualifying last night, Jacques was third fastest and will start third to last tonight. Barichello was fastest and will run last. Shumacher will go out just ahead of Jacques.

The new qualifying rules make things interesting this year. They only get one flying lap as opposed to atleast four last year. After the lap is finished, the fuel that is left in the tank is the amount of fuel the driver will have to start the race with. Could be some interesting front row with this rule.

I'm pumped for tonight. I'm the only one. I know.:(

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If all the races are going to be like Australia was, then we're in for a great year.

There was more passing in this one race, then I can remember all of last year. No joke. The new qualifiying rules are awsome. Some cars are starting the race with a very light fuel load and are flying. Others are carrying a lot of fuel and are a little slower. Add them together and you get passing.:D

Nice to see someone other then Ferrari win to. Coultard sort of lucked into it with Montoyas spin, but as Jon Pablo said, "shite happens." Actually it was the first time since 1999 that no Ferrari driver was on the podium.

On to Malaysia.

What did you think Argyle?

Dalglish

Sep 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Saturday's Race

I watched the race, and was very happy not to see any Red Ferrari's on the podium. It was also great to see some of the body work flying off Shumachers' car.

Disappointed that the BAR cars are still what looks like a step behind the big boys. I am also anxious to see what the new Maclaren car will do. You are correct that Coulthards' win was a bit lucky, but that's auto racing.

I think it will be a great year, unlike last year.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It could be a very exciting season. I was disapointed that Da Matta did not show better, but the it was the first race of the season. Hopefully he does well as that might help CART out.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How nice is it to be two races into the season and not see Shumucker;)on the podium? Pretty fcuking sweet.:D

Too bad Villenueve couldn't even get off the grid. BAR sucks. End of story. He'll be in Cart next year.

Good win for Raikkonen. It looks like the Maclerans will be the cars to beat this year. It was nice to see some other cars on the front row for a change. It's been awile since Renault put their cars anywhere near there.

I love the new qualifying rules. It makes things so interesting for the first segment of the race. You can really see what type of driver Shumucker is when he has to start mid pack. He's a plumber just like the rest of the midfield, and the only way he can get by is punting guys off. I'm glad the stewards are giving him penalties for his indescretions. That's two in two races.:D

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Raikkonen breaks through for victory

TSN.ca Staff

3/23/2003

Kimi Raikkonen captured his first career Grand Prix victory, winning the Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday.
The Finn, who had failed to finish the race the last two years, crossed the finish line almost 40 seconds ahead of Rubens Barrichello in the Ferrari.
"It's difficult to say how I feel right now," said Raikkonen. "It probably won't be until tomorrow that I notice that I have won my first race."
"The race was quite good. I didn't need to push so hard the last 20 laps or so. I think now that they have changed the qualifying system you never know what other teams are doing. I just pushed as hard as I could until the pit stops."
Pole sitter Fernando Alonso in the Renault battled a high fever to go along with the heat and humidity and hung on for third place, his first career F1 podium finish. He becomes the first Spaniard to reach the podium since Alfonso de Portago finished second at Silverstone in 1956.
"Our strategy worked pretty much as we expected," said Alonso. "I was able to lead the first stint and then battle with Rubens in the second. But then I had a little bit of a gearbox problem in the last stint - I had to change manually and I am very lucky to finish the race."
Defending race champion Ralf Schumacher, who started a disappointing 17th, worked his way through the field for a fourth place showing.
Jarno Trulli, who started alongside his teammate on the front row, and defending Formula One champion Michael Schumacher finished fifth and sixth respectively. However, there were doubts that either driver would finish the race after colliding in the second corner on the opening lap.
Schumacher damaged his nose cone while Trulli managed to get his car back on track after being hit from behind. Race officials later issued Schumacher a drive through penalty for the incident.
For Schumacher, who has won three of four Malaysian Grand Prixs, it was the second straight race he has failed to reach the podium after having his string of 19 consecutive podium finishes snapped last week.
"I made a mistake and hit Jarno and I have apologized to him," Michael said. "That was the decisive moment of my race. It came as a big surprise that I was still able to fight for points after I pitted for the drive-through penalty. So, I am happy enough in the circumstances."
Jenson Button struggled to hold on for seventh place, being passed by both Trulli and Schumacher on the final lap, while Nick Heidfeld captured the eighth and final point.
Canadian Jacques Villeneuve failed to get off the starting line for the parade lap with gearbox problems.
"Bad luck, but that's life," said Villeneuve.
"Just before his car left the garage we had an electrical problem and then, at the start of the parade lap, the problem returned and damaged the gearbox so he was unable to make it off the grid," explained technical director Geoffrey Willis."

Shumacher sixth, how sweet it is....couldn't wish more bad luck to a nicer guy.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a crazy race.

You have to feel bad for Ruhbino. What does that guy have to do to win in Brazil? He was dominating when his car just "shut down". Perhaps Ferrari shut it down. They wouldn't want anyone except Shumacher to win for them now would they?:eek:

Lot's of accidents. Good to see MS not finish. Alonso's crash was rather scary. Hopefully he'll be OK.

On to San Marino.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know, I actualy watched some of this race and did find it very exciting. It's the first race I've actually "watched". I will definetly tune in to the race in San Mareno.

A new fan,

knvb:knvb:

Dalglish

Sep 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sunday's Race

I thought Sunday's race was pretty good. The rain always makes things interesting. The highlight for me was seeing Shumacher spin coming out of that corner that seemed to get everyone. So much for being the "ruler of the wet track". I hope this season continues. It sure makes it more enjoyable not having one car on pole, and the same car winning every race.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did not get to see much of the race...but any race that Shumacher doesn't win has to be a good race. Any race that he doesn't finish is a great race....:D .

Villenuve 6th?????

I guess there was only six cars left running at the finish.:p

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It sure makes it more enjoyable not having one car on pole, and the same car winning every race.
Although he wasn't on pole, Raikonnen has won the last two, and Mclaren has won all three. The races are defintely more exciting now though. Seems to be a lot more passing especially early on when the fuel stratagies are playing out.

Argyle,

There were ten cars running at the end.:D

A quote from the great Murrey Walker:
If that's not a blown engine, I'm a Chinaman. - Australia 2000.
I miss Murrey.:(

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not over?

FIA to review Brazilian GP result

Associated Press

4/9/2003

LONDON (AP) - Brazilian Giancarlo Fisichella could be declared winner of the Brazilian Grand Prix after motorsport's world governing body announced an investigation Wednesday into the shortened race.

Kimi Raikkonen of Finland was awarded Sunday's race in Sao Paulo, which was stopped because of spinouts and crashes on the rain-soaked track.

The race, which normally runs 71 laps, was halted during what seemed to be the 55th lap, with Italy's Fisichella in front. Under a countback procedure, officials declared the race over at the end of the 53rd lap, when Raikkonen was first.

But FIA said it had received evidence "which suggests that, contrary to the information supplied by the timekeepers at the Brazilian Grand Prix, car No. 11 (Fisichella) had started his 56th lap before the race was stopped."

"If this proves to be the case, the race classification would be that at the end of the 54th lap, and not the 53rd lap as published," FIA said in a statement.

FIA said the stewards of the race would meet Friday in Paris to review the results. It invited all competitors who would be affected by any change to attend.

A FIA spokesperson said if the results were changed, Fisichella, who overtook Raikonnen on lap 54, would be the winner, with the Finn second.

She declined to elaborate on what alternative evidence FIA had received. Jordan said it also had evidence that Fisichella should have won.

"Jordan Grand Prix have received the FIA statement concerning the result of the Brazilian Grand Prix which concurs with the team's evidence," a Jordan statement said.

"The team awaits the outcome of the stewards meeting on Friday."

A spokesman for Raikkonen's team McLaren remained open-minded.

"If the timekeepers are proven to have made a mistake then any subsequent adjustments of the race results would be understandable," he said.

When the race was halted, Fisichella celebrated with his crew, then learned he came in second. Spain's Fernando Alonso was given third place, followed by Britain's David Coulthard and Germany's Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

Only 10 of the 20 drivers finished the race, which normally runs 71 laps.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya scared me there for a minute. I went into panic mode, but regardless of this outcome, Jaques remains in 6th. whew!!!!

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Done and done.

Fisichella awarded Brazilian victory

Associated Press

4/11/2003

PARIS (AP)
- Five days late, Giancarlo Fisichella finally celebrated victory Friday in the crash-shortened Brazilian Grand Prix, after the sport's world governing body officially declared him the winner and bumped McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen into second place.

A jubilant Eddie Jordan, Fisichella's boss, announced the decision following a meeting of FIA.

"Right at this moment, any victory is a major result for us," said Jordan, who came out of the FIA's Paris headquarters with his fist clenched in victory.

"Giancarlo has won the race. It's a fantastic victory for him, his first ever Grand Prix, but we're all delighted."

Raikkonen had previously been crowned winner of the Brazilian Grand Prix, run Sunday in rain at Interlagos.

The decision to award Fisichella the race was the latest twist in a season that has seen Formula One turned on its head by a series of new rules that have, for the moment at least, loosened Ferrari's grip on the sport.

Fisichella's win also was a badly needed boost for the Jordan team, which has struggled to keep up in the high-cost, highly competitive world of F1.

Sunday's race was meant to last 71 laps but was stopped on what at first appeared to be the 55th lap, when Spanish driver Fernando Alonso crashed into wreckage left by Australian driver Mark Webber.

Jordan driver Fisichella was leading at that stage and thought he had won, tossing his helmet into air in delight when he climbed out of his car.

Officials, however, later declared Raikkonen the winner, saying he was leading two laps before the race was halted.

But after review, the FIA ruled Friday that Fisichella was on his 56th lap when the race was stopped, said Jordan. Under the countback rule, that meant the race officially stopped on lap 54. Fisichella was in front at that point.

"We were always aware that we were on lap 56 and that has been proved beyond doubt today," said Jordan.

"Initially, we thought that we'd won and then there were some misunderstandings. But now everything has been put to rights I'm overjoyed."

Fisichella said he was "very happy" at the win - his first in 110 races.

"It was very difficult for me with the confusion after the race, and I am still disappointed that I didn't have my moment at the top of the podium," the 30-year-old Italian said in a statement.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis congratulated Fisichella and Eddie Jordan for the victory.

"The evidence presented earlier today leaves no doubt that Giancarlo and Jordan are the winners of the Brazilian Grand Prix and I'm pleased that any confusion has now been cleared up," said Dennis.

"It's obviously a shame that neither driver nor team were able to celebrate in Brazil, but knowing Eddie I would imagine that a few pints of the Irish brew will be raised today."

Raikkonen, who won earlier this year in Malaysia, also offered up his congratulations to Fisichella.

"As I only claimed my maiden win in the Malaysia Grand Prix a few weeks ago, I probably remember better than anyone how special it is and I know that Giancarlo will be very happy."

The decision means Jaguar driver Mark Webber loses the two points he earned for his seventh place finish.

The revised results have BMW-Williams driver Ralf Schumacher moving up to seventh followed by Jarno Trulli and then Webber.

"That's the price you pay for making a mistake," said Webber prior to the decision being announced. "(It's) not the end of the world because there are a lot of positives to take out of the weekend."

The decision meant Raikkonen now has 24 points, instead of 26, but he still leads the overall standings. Fisichella has 10 points, moving into fifth place overall.

The win was the Jordan team's fourth Grand Prix victory in 200 races and its first since 1999.

Speaking to reporters outside FIA headquarters, Jordan said he didn't want to get into a debate about why stewards took five days to declare Fisichella the winner, given the high-tech nature of F1.

"I don't want to get into the politics of that, that's for somebody else to do," he said. "Right now I just want to call Giancarlo and congratulate him because of this, which is something special."

But in a statement, Jordan said: "It's a shame that the results weren't accurately reported immediately as it would have been better if Giancarlo had been able to celebrate his first win in the normal fashion on the top step of the podium."
So Eddie Jordan gets a win in his 200th Grand Prix. Under the circumstances, I'd call it fate. How about you knvb?:rolleyes:

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Schumacher takes the blame

Associated Press

4/14/2003

MILAN, Italy (AP) - World champion Michael Schumacher blames his own mistakes for Ferrari's worst start in three years, but predicts the Italian team will soon return to its winning ways.
The German driver, who is shooting for an unprecedented sixth world drivers' title in the 2003 Formula One championship, failed to make the podium in the three first races of the new season after winning 11 of 17 races last year. His Brazilian teammate Rubens Barrichello added four other victories.
Schumacher said in an interview with Milan's Corriere della Sera newspaper published Monday that the poor start was "the result of circumstances. And of a few of my own mistakes. I have made so many in the initial races that I hope to have finished them up."
Describing himself as a conservative, the world champion said he did not like most of the rule changes enforced by the auto racing governing body (FIA) this year but emphasized that "rules are the same for everybody. Thus it's not the fault of the rules if we have not yet won."
After Australia, Malaysia and Brazil, Schumacher trails McLaren's Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen by 16 points in the world standings.
The world champion said he had been expecting a tough challenge by the McLaren drivers, Raikkonen and David Coulthard, this year.
"I expected McLaren's drivers to be fast. Nobody trusted me at the beginning of the season when I said they had become very competitive . . . Raikkonen is a very good driver with a great potential."
Schumacher said Australian Mark Webber and Spain's Fernando Alonso looked like the most promising drivers in the initial championship races.
"Webber has been consistent, precise. He's undervalued ... Alonso proved very strong. I expected it."
About Williams' Colombian driver Juan Pablo Montoya, Schumacher said "he has been somewhat disappointing. He has not improved . . . he promised more."
Schumacher, whose contract with Ferrari expires in 2004, said he was not thinking of his future yet.
"There are almost two seasons ahead, and there is time to talk (about a possible contract extension with Ferrari) . . . So far I have not considered the possibility of retiring. I love this sport. I love the fight. We are through a difficult moment but the good times will be back soon . . . we have no fears about the future."
The next championship race, the San Marino Grand Prix, is scheduled at Ferrari's home circuit of Imola on Easter Sunday.
Schumacher and Barrichello will be starting in the "old" F2002 cars as the brand-new model, the F2003-GA, had some unsatisfactory tests last week and will probably make its championship debut in the Spanish GP on May 4.

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
A tough day for racing!!

Somber Schumacher wins at Imola

Canadian Press

4/20/2003

IMOLA, Italy (AP) - Michael Schumacher knew this day would have meant so much to his mother: Ferrari fans lining the track as he won a Formula One race for the first time this year.
This day, however, was one of mourning for Schumacher and his brother, Ralf. Wearing a black armband over his red racing suit, Michael Schumacher drove just hours after his mother's death Sunday and won the San Marino Grand Prix. Ralf finished fourth.
"My mother loved to be at the track," Schumacher said in a statement. "She loved it when we drove go-carts on the old track at home. She would have wanted to see us race today."
Under other circumstances, this finish would have prompted raucous celebrations by the five-time Formula One champion, Ferrari and their thousands of red-clad fans.
Instead, Schumacher's only gesture after the race was a raised fist.
He accepted the trophy and stood for the German and Italian national anthems. Unlike during normal post-race jubilation, there was no champagne. Schumacher seemed on the verge of tears.
Formula One excused him from news conferences after the race.
Kimi Raikkonen of McLaren Mercedes was second, followed by Rubens Barrichello of Ferrari. Ralf Schumacher, who started in second position and passed his older brother on the race's first turn, was next in a Williams.

Cudo's to the Schumacher brothers for even getting in their cars on this trying day.

Dalglish

Sep 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boring

I missed this race in the morning, but happened to watch it last night on Speedvision. I don't know about the rest of you, but this was one boring race. No excitement whatsoever. The American commentators that Speedvision uses made it even worse. I hope the next race picks up!

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Turned the race on. Saw that Shumacher was running away with it. Saw that Villenueve was out. Turned it off.

Looks like Ferrari has gotten used to the new rules. Things should get back to the way they were last year now.

Too bad.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
:

San Marino, May 22nd (Reuters)

The Ferrari formula 1 team have announced that they have sacked their entire pit crew. The action followed Ferrari's decision to take advantage of the British Government's Work For The Dole Scheme and hired several unemployed youths from Liverpool.

The decision was brought on by a recent documentary on how unemployed Scousers were able to remove a set of car wheels in under six seconds, with just a pair of mole grips each. Recent tests have shown that the existing Ferrari crew can only acheive this in just over 8 seconds with millions of pounds of high-tech gear.

This was thought to be an excellent move by senior Ferrari management. As most Formula 1 races are won and lost in the pits, Ferrari are now seen to have a massive advantage over every other team.

However, during the first Scouser pit practice session Ferrari got more than they had bargained for. Not only were they able to change the tyres in under 6 seconds but within 12 seconds they had also resprayed, rebadged the car and sold it to the McClaren team for 4 dozen cans of Special Brew. a gram of coke and a quick shuffty at Coulthard's bird in the shower.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts