Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fcuk you Messier

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Read more: www.theprovince.com/sports/Mark+Messier+still+looking+money+from+Canucks+report+says/5868534/story.html#ixzz1gjTzJFcw
Tracker.gif

The TSN report said Messier, 50, believes a clause in his contract with Vancouver entitles him to additional money from the team. The report said an aribitrator will hear the case in the spring. The Canucks declined comment on the issue, releasing the following statement:
“The contractual situation involving Mark Messier and the hockey club is an on-going process and as a result Canucks Sports & Entertainment will respectfully defer further comment until the issue has been resolved.”

Based on this, it looks that Canucks know that they (may) owe him money. A contract is a contract, whether we like Messier or not. It actually may show how Canucks were really stupid when they signed that contract.
So, why would Messier leave that money on the table, if he is really owed that money!? Who would do that? Because he did not do anything for Canucks those three years when he was a member of the team!? If Canucks were smart enough they would link his contract with the play-off success and they failed to do so.
I never liked Messier but I am not going to cry for Canucks if they have to pay. Their money, their problem, they are anyway out of reach for an ordinary person.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
he is probably running low on cash... and his financial advisor dug this up. likely he knew about it 10 years ago but didnt have the balls to ask for payment considering his time here was a disaster.

i am interested to hear about what he is owed and why, though.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
he is probably running low on cash... and his financial advisor dug this up. likely he knew about it 10 years ago but didnt have the balls to ask for payment considering his time here was a disaster.

i am interested to hear about what he is owed and why, though.

Mark Messier to Canucks: I want my money | ProHockeyTalk

according to Iain Macintyre, it appears to be $2m, based on a buyout to not extend his contract from 3 to 5 years

maybe the best $2m ever spent (or not) by the nucks

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You'd think (I obviously don't know the specifics of the deal) that the "buy-out" to not exercize a club option for years 4 & 5 would only apply if he was not signed by another team, at least that's how I'd have written the contract up.

his term ended, he then resigned his services elsewhere...

if he's owed the cash, he's owed the cash... but it's a dumb deal and it's not like Aquilini and Co cannot afford it.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
meh, what's $2mill... I think the Grizzlies are still paying out Big Country

Attachments

• vancouver-nba-schedule.jpg
    vancouver-nba-schedule.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 350

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reeves was worth every pound and penny. Greatest investment in sports history. How the hell Stu Jackson had a job after that debacle is the biggest mystery.

Messier needing money? What is the going rate on lines of 'coke' nowadays anyway?

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reeves was worth every pound and penny. Greatest investment in sports history. How the hell Stu Jackson had a job after that debacle is the biggest mystery. Messier needing money? What is the going rate on lines of 'coke' nowadays anyway?

There was a story that Stu Jackson had to be hired by Grizzlies as GM because NBA requested that. That was apparently a part of the deal: Vancouver gets an NBA team but the team has to hire an NBA favourite (Jackson). Considering how he handled Grizzlies' operations, yes, it should be a miracle if he got any other jobs. But, after Grizzlies he got a job and the employer is....NBA, of course!!! Just found on NBA web site the following information:
"Jackson is the NBA executive in charge of all on-court operations of the sport, including scheduling, officiating, game conduct and discipline. He is also the Chair of the Competition Committee, which recommends rules changes to the Board of Governors."

So, for a nightmare called Grizzlies that he and NBA created in Vancouver, Stu Jackson was rewarded with a front office with NBA.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So this is all tied into the value of the franchise increasing, did I read that correctly?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please stop with the big country bashing!

If it was not for him Mcdonald's never would have came out Big Country size French fries...

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So this is all tied into the value of the franchise increasing, did I read that correctly?
Yes. Apparently he had a five year contract. The Canucks bought him out after three. He's wanting compensation for the appreciation of the team during the last two years even though he was bought out.

Like someone said, a contract is a contract, and if he's actually owed money, fine. But seriously. ten years later???? It screams of desperate for cash.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0