Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Draft Day

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It really pains me to start this thread -- Lord knows these cry-baby owners & players have really pissed me off this past year and I vowed to ignore them as long as possible -- but, with the draft coming up in a few days (Friday the 22nd) I wonder who's going to get the first crack at Sidney Crosby.

Sure it'd be nice if Vancouver wins The Prize, but honestly, with a 2-point-something-something percent chance of picking first, it's just rather unlikely.

So . . . aside from the Canucks, who'd you like to see win him? A Canadian team? A Smythe Division team so we'll see him all the time? A Patrick Division team so we'll only face him once or twice in his career? Any team but Toronto?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Edmonton. Granted, their Stanley Cup win over Boston in '89 still pisses me off, but they're one of the few teams who's attitude towards offensive hockey would be a nice fit for him. That and small market arguement.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
Smythe Division team ..... Patrick Division team
Keeper, you do know it's the year 2005...

On that note, it would be great to see Edmonton with him, or at least a Canadian team. But it would surprise me to see him on a small to middle market team in the states, to try and recoup the fans which were lost due to the strike.

I still can't believe that poker and nascar get higher ratings than hockey in the states.

jaco

Jun 27, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are there any rule/game changes in store for the new season. I remember last year they were talking about a few potential things (smaller goalie pads, no-touch icing, shootouts...)

Softhead

Jul 19, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with you that it would be great if the Canucks were to get Crosby but where I think the new and improved N.H.L. has already screwed up is with not broadcasting the draft.The Oilers would be a perfect team for him to go to.By the way the Oilers beat the Bruins in four in '88 and also beat them in five in '90.
One thing I do love is how they created a way for the Rangers to be frontrunners.Oh well,as long as he doesn't go to the Leafs.

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Best for the league if he goes down south but hey if they would rather watch 10-2 Brunson play poker mayber they don't deserve him. I would just like to see him in a town where hockey is valued (excpet Toronto). If he goes to Carolina, Nashville or even Florida it will be a disappointment. Of course, because they lack the foresight to make it a media event they can do what ever they want behind closed doors.

Interesting, The Toronto Sports Network has been doing fake draws and Toronto won the first one. SO Vancouver could be in the running. Naslund, Crosby and Bertuzzi. It's a pipe dream but I good one.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Team 1040 were also doing fake draws and Vancouver ended up winning one of them as well. Go figure :rolleyes:

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper wouldn't mind seeing the sport's next big thing go to Vancouver's hated rivals, the Edmonton Oilers.

The Smythe Division? The Patrick Division? The Beluga Fcuking Caviar Division?

I can't wait to see Sydney Crosby play for the Cleveland Barons when he makes his first visit to the Pacific Colosseum.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Softhead said:
I agree with you that it would be great if the Canucks were to get Crosby but where I think the new and improved N.H.L. has already screwed up is with not broadcasting the draft.
No one ever said the draft wouldn't be televised. The Lottery will not be on TV. The draft isn't for a week or so after. Still in Ottawa with only the top prospects attending and 7 rounds instead of 9. Or something like that.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
joely_the_goalie said:
I still can't believe that poker and nascar get higher ratings than hockey in the states.
In that case (we already kind of have a poker thread) maybe we need to start a NASCAR thread. Or maybe even NHRA!:wa:

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Easy answer the Leafs :D :D ......Best team in Canada by far.....best coach in the NHL and the only canadian team that will be left in 10 years.

LSD

May 31, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Besides the Canucks, I would like to see Crosby in Ottawa, the smallest market in Canada. That way we wouldn't have to face him in our division and we would still see him on HNIC. Although I do agree that having Crosby play down south would be the best scenario for the NHL.

I would love to see the Canucks be able to draft Gilbert Brule. One thing (besides the Sedin's) that pissed me off about our 03/04 roster was the lack of BC born players. All of the other five Canadian teams had an abundance of local talent on their respective rosters. Since Nonis is from Burnaby, I could see him pursuing some BC talent like Kariya, Neidermayer and Brewer, it's just the way Canadian teams are supposed to do it.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah as of today the draft lottery or the order in which teams draft will now be televised much like the NBA decides its order.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise, how could you even begin to assume that teams will now be leaving / folding in Canada? The new CBA is the first real ray of hope and optimism since about 1990 that Canadian teams besides TO will be able to compete on an even playing surface for player services. All teams now are in great shape to ice a competitive squad while ensuring profitability.

John...when did they decide to actually televise the lottery?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise is obviously a Laughs fan... he doesn't assume, he's just fcuking stupid like the rest of them. Just like Bronco and Jonesy :D

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Franchise, how could you even begin to assume that teams will now be leaving / folding in Canada? The new CBA is the first real ray of hope and optimism since about 1990 that Canadian teams besides TO will be able to compete on an even playing surface for player services. All teams now are in great shape to ice a competitive squad while ensuring profitability.

John...when did they decide to actually televise the lottery?

When's the last year that teams like Oilers, Montreal and Calgary have made some money.....Calgary made the Stanley cup and they still only broke even. Having this lockout is really going to hurt the fan base in Edmonton and Montreal.

For hockey's sake I hope things do change and teams start making money. But I can't say I like any of the rule changes their talking about.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Erm...they all "made money" the last season played, with I think the exception of Ottawa. Vancouver made a shite load. Edmonton and Calgary barely broke even at the end of the year, then Calgary had playoff bonus cash. Montreal always profits something. Last time a doiminant Canadian team won, erm...1990, Oilers wasn't it? Then the Habs won, I think 1991. So, given an even playing field, all teams should now be w/ in $10m to sign players, and compete. Feel free to check any of these stats...all by memory.

And, in cities like Montreal and Edmonton, they'll be back in droves, just like here.

You're confusing Hockey w/ Soccer me thinks.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise:

Give your heed a shake. Fans in Montreal are like the Laughs fans - no matter how shite their team is, they'll still show up in droves and support the idjits, even with paper bags over their heads. Kind of like Italian soccer fans... :rolleyes:

LSD:

Ottawa isn't the smallest Canadian market. Think Calgary/Edmonton...

Joely:

"nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public" --HL Mencken

Crosby will be like Gretzky was - an asset to the whole league, and able to draw crowds no matter where he plays. Hope he can live up to Gretz's media presence as well. For the Nuckleheads, hopefully there is a player of Brule's calibre left by the time they get to pick.

beerZ,

stew :cool:

Softhead

Jul 19, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
No one ever said the draft wouldn't be televised. The Lottery will not be on TV. The draft isn't for a week or so after. Still in Ottawa with only the top prospects attending and 7 rounds instead of 9. Or something like that.
My apologies that is what I meant.Not showing the Lottery as it is happening is a brutal decision.Why behind closed doors?As we all can attest, many scary things can happen behind closed doors.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0