Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CAT Div 1 CAT Weaker for 2003/2004?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex

Jul 24, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 1 2003/2004

With the ten teams already in Div 1 for this up coming season what do you guys think the league will do with only 5 teams in the Cat Division .

I personally think the Cat teams will struggle in Div 1 !
Other than 3 teams in Cat last season that could compete in Div1 the rest would be in trouble. The Cat division was weaker than the Div1 last season.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who are the ten teams?

So what's this thread about? Div. 1 or the Cat division.

Keep the banter to Div. 1 stuff and open a thread for the Cat division. Or post in the FVSL Rumours and Stuff thread.

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Div 1 2003/2004

Originally posted by Rex
what do you guys think the league will do with only 5 teams in the Cat Division .

I personally think the Cat teams will struggle in Div 1 !
Other than 3 teams in Cat last season that could compete in Div1 the rest would be in trouble. The Cat division was weaker than the Div1 last season.

First off, I think (and am hoping) there will be 6 teams, but hopefully 7 teams in Cat this year (Obviously it would be nice if there was 8 to avoid having byes but I think I am pushing my luck).

As far as the "3" teams you have indicated could compete in Div 1 Last season, I assume you are referring to Poco, ND and the Storm? I agree that all three of those teams would compete extremely well within a rangerless Division 1.

I believe that most of the cat teams that remain from last year will have no problem improving over last years performances but its the mystery teams that the FVSL throws in that will determine the division quality.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just wondering if there’s a way to solve this problem, without ditching the cat system. I think most agree that for the betterment of the league, you need some sort of cat system in place. Basically, the idea being that you bring along younger, ambitious players that aren’t premier quality yet, but are willing to “play the game”, in terms of call-ups, etc.

Looking at last year, Poco, Langley, and PAU used the system a fair bit. Even GEU to a lesser extent (although, it sounds like they could have been a lot better). Everyone agrees a 6 or even 7 team division will be difficult for those teams and players to swallow for one more year.

What about this: slide the 6 known cat teams into the 1st division, and split the 1st into two sides of 8 each. The 1st div. plays twice against each team on their side, and once each on the cross-over. The cat teams continue to be Cat teams, just not promotion / demotion eligible.

Would that be a way of solving this issue without killing the cat division entirely?

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
SIMPLE ANSWER

Scrap the CAT league. Add the CAT teams to the Division 1 teams. Randomly draw the teams and divide them into two Division 1 leagues. i.e. Div 1 A and Div 1 B.

Ideally you need two Div 1 leagues comprising of ten (10) teams each. Add some of the better Div 2 teams to make up the numbers if required.

Put the two Div 1 winners into playoffs with the bottom two Premier teams at the the end of the season for a two team promotion and relegation scenario.

Club affiliated teams with both Div 1 and Premier spots. - Unlimited players to play up from Div 1. Only two (2) players to play down to Div 1 in any one game.

If you don't belong to a club structure.... too bad.

Don't you wish life was this simple. :D

Cheers

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Club affiliated teams with both Div 1 and Premier spots. - Unlimited players to play up from Div 1. Only two (2) players to play down to Div 1 in any one game.

Don't like this. It encourages more of the "I wanna play with my buddies" type of team building. The Premier / Cat system is sound. In the case of Langley, we'd conceivably have both a Div. 1 team, and the "Cat" team in the 1st division. The idea would be to use mainly the Cat players to call up, and only the one team to send down to.

Otherwise, good solution.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
buddies!

How can you diss the fact that guys want to play with there buddies?
That is half the reason many guys play soccer around the Valley. To get out of the house and have some pints with the guys after a good game or training session.
No one is going Pro here. This is Amateur soccer.

The cat league is going to be shite this year. With no Storm or Lions, Poco is going to win the league by Christmas. How is this supposed to be good for young kids trying to make it up to Premier, when they play in a high div.2, low div.1 level of soccer,
is this supposed to be good for there skills and keep them at a Premier performing level.

Like someone else noted, the cat league was a step back for the Lions. And a step back for most players and teams.

OFF WITH CAT, THE LEAGUE IS SHAT!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not "dissing" the fact that buddies want to play together. Teams w/ strong friendships within obviously win more often.

I'm saying that one band of 16 or 18 that stick together don't help in the club building concept, and do help keep younger kids down whom may deserve a shot.

Don't get so sensitive...just a discussion. We haven't bashed the Lions and their free ride to Premier here...yet.;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How can you diss the fact that guys want to play with there buddies?
That is half the reason many guys play soccer around the Valley. To get out of the house and have some pints with the guys after a good game or training session.
No one is going Pro here. This is Amateur soccer.

Sentence fragments aside, you almost make sense. I believe the reason why most guys play soccer is to enable them to play a good competitive game every week. A competitive game which is ultimately going to determine whether they get promoted or relegated. Every week should mean something if anyone has any bit of pride in themselves. I don't think most guys as you state, show up every practice and game just to see/play with their buddies. That can be accomplished in a pub/club any time of the week. Most guys love competition and try to find a team which enables them to maximize this every week. If you want to play with buddies go to a recreational beer league. If you happen to find a club(which we have now) which has a goal AND the guys get along after it, then you have a bonus situation. If we don't get out of 1st division in the next couple of years, we would hope that the team would continue to bring in players and try to do so. We would also hope that players would want to stay within the club and not just jump ship at the first opportunity at a chance in premier. Does that sound familiar? Maybe it doesn't but hopefully I almost made sense. :confused:

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I understand.

Personally, I play for the love of the game, competition, to keep the beer gut down as well. Luckily, our team is made up of friends that have grown up together since the early teen years. I got the best of both worlds, if you count FVSL prem. being competitive.

Dude,
I didn't take it personall or anything. Just stating the other side of the case.

I don't have an extent vocab or anything, and my english skills are not at its best. But hopefully you peoples understand what I say. I grew up in a house with 2 languages. Thats my excuse.

Rex

Jul 24, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please call us...

Not much banter about our new Dewdney team replacing the old Razorbacks?? We will be good. Young guys should give us a chance at premier the following year.

By the way, our nickname is the DEWDNEY DUDES!!! Please talk about us.

Rex

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0