Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

De Guzman chooses Netherlands

Bifficus

Jul 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Erm, 10 days ago?
Goes to show you how much the Canadian sports scene and everybody else cares about football/soccer. Didn't hear anything about it or read anything about it. Kind of makes you wonder what the CSA is doing?
Although, I might have missed the game summary, as I am on ttp way more than I used to be.

SoccerPaper

Jul 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The rules is what is wrong though.

It is all well and good that DeGuzman, Hargeaves, The Portuguese back up keeper, etc all should be playing for Canada...and made their choices to further their own careers...

But the rules need changing.

You should HAVE to play for the country of your birth, save extenuating circumstances- such as If a baby is born in Germany and moves to Canada before 1 year old or something...

You then, should only be able to play for your "other nationality" or "Heritage" if you cannot make the other team, ie If Hargreaves truly was English, he could then play for Canada if he, hypothetically, wasn't good enough for selection to England.

It makes no sense to me that Aiden McGeady can play his nat caps for the Republic of Ireland when he was born, raised, plays his football, and currently lives in Glasgow. He chooses to play for the Republic as he is Irish Catholic heritage, and is a typical Shellick Republican, through his grandfathers passport.

The rules are what need changing...I used to be bitter about Hargreaves taking off to play for England, but I feel like the rules are what is flawed, not the players now choosing the right decision for their own careers.

De Guzman left Canada when he was 12 to go play in the Netherlands. I doubt very much whether he ever gave playing for Canada serious thought, despite his older brother playing for Canada. In fact, that's probably what motivated him to leave. Canada has wasted a whole generation of talent.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
simple realy who wants to play for a team that will NEVER in my life qualify for the world cup, and if canada wants 2 keep players they need to make clubs in canada that are professional, the mls is doing it all wrong too they need to create centre of execllences or acadmeys for its kids to be under contract with and then **** all this college shite that goes on when they hit u16 either you keep them and put the top players in your youth team and pay them, and let em spend 2 years there see thier progression and weather their ready for the pro leagues. when this happens players wont jump ship. Tha academys and centres are the development of every european professional team and i know this since i was involved in s****horpe uniteds (championship) centre of excellence for about 5 years but their was always a goal at the end of it, i mean u play for clubs liek abbotsford what is at the end of all this??? pdl?? who wants to play pdl when they have a chance to go play in europe where money is and a major love for the game and if anyone wants to argue just simply look at the progression of all the nations with them.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not about money it's pride if you are good enough to play in Europe you will make money anyways. It is about pride of where you are born and where you come from. You don't get paid to represent your country anyways.

Bruce Grobbelar coundn't play for England because he played one game for S. Africa when he was a youth. Did the rules change? Get them young and proud of their heritage.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not about money it's pride if you are good enough to play in Europe you will make money anyways. It is about pride of where you are born and where you come from. You don't get paid to represent your country anyways.

Bruce Grobbelar coundn't play for England because he played one game for S. Africa when he was a youth. Did the rules change? Get them young and proud of their heritage.

The Jungle Man was Rhodesian/Zimbabwean but you are correct. Ineligible because of youth play. :D

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Jungle Man was Rhodesian/Zimbabwean but you are correct. Ineligible because of youth play. :D

So did the rules change and if not wtf is wrong with CSA. Get these guys in our uni and there is no problems.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
you can play for a country until u21 then after ur 21st bday whoever you choose to play for you have to stick with that team, and i don't think pride has anything to do with it, i think it has something to do with wanting to play against the best in the world and actually play in the world cup as i said earlier canada will never play ina world cup while im alive so who would want to play for someone who never gets tha chance to play in a "real" international game, but i guess i wouldnt totally disagree with you i dont have my canadian citizenship (even though i could get it now) and was asked to go to NTC but chose not to because i don't believe its right when your not from a country to play for another maybe they should change the rules but all im saying is players will play at the highest level they can get to which in some ways is understandable. hope that made sense and didnt condridict what i said, if so all i was realy tryin 2 say is it is worng for players 2 play for other countries but they don't because every kid has a dream of lifting the jewels remy.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
you can play for a country until u21 then after ur 21st bday whoever you choose to play for you have to stick with that team, and i don't think pride has anything to do with it, i think it has something to do with wanting to play against the best in the world and actually play in the world cup as i said earlier canada will never play ina world cup while im alive so who would want to play for someone who never gets tha chance to play in a "real" international game, but i guess i wouldnt totally disagree with you i dont have my canadian citizenship (even though i could get it now) and was asked to go to NTC but chose not to because i don't believe its right when your not from a country to play for another maybe they should change the rules but all im saying is players will play at the highest level they can get to which in some ways is understandable. hope that made sense and didnt condridict what i said, if so all i was realy tryin 2 say is it is worng for players 2 play for other countries but they don't because every kid has a dream of lifting the jewels remy.

Man, I really hope you do have a future involved in the game.

My eyes are bleeding...

Sadly, you are correct in your assessment of all the problems we have.

I do think that if we are able to get an MLS team up here, the Whitecaps will do it right. But, really, you'd need three teams in Canada- complete w/ youth academies- in order to start making a long term impact on our international side.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Man, I really hope you do have a future involved in the game.

My eyes are bleeding...

Sadly, you are correct in your assessment of all the problems we have.

I do think that if we are able to get an MLS team up here, the Whitecaps will do it right. But, really, you'd need three teams in Canada- complete w/ youth academies- in order to start making a long term impact on our international side.

thanks but as for me no i don't have a future in the game i was released when i was 14 lol, im 18 now and i gained alot of weight since then, i just play for fun now nothing serious but im glad to see you agree with me that the mls needs youth academys to grow and i agree that canada needs 3 mls teams, and by giving them youth programs it would give kids a reason to stay over here and then play for thier country as someone said earlier people will move to europe for money i mean if thier good enough when their 18 or so in the mls european teams will notice them. im sorry it just seems to me that over here if you realy want a chance you have to have money to be able to fly over to places and trial with clubs cuase quite simply thier is no future over here which is the main reason why players go play for other countries.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Missionblues,

Is there a reason you are playing div. 2 in the valley? National level quality players in div 2 just seems wrong.

gt5

Feb 24, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
no i play with friends im nowere close to being as good as i used to be i dont even stand out anymore i gained weight and trust me im far from national level i was asked in u16 when i played for abby metro but im now almost 19 and as johnnybluenose said round is a shape lol but even if i hadnt of gained weight i still would of never made it.

totti_10

Aug 31, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
i don't blame him at all. but it would have been nice to see him and his brother lead Canada to the world cup in 2010.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0