Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

De Guzman chooses Netherlands

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, that is a huge blow.

The kid could be a good one. That's now two outstanding players and I honestly see more following this trend in the future with so much indecision at the CSA and poor identification of potential players in this country. I'd like to say that they could be the best players we've ever produced but... we never REALLY produced them.

The structure of soccer in this country has to change and have players more exposed to national set ups through a competitive CLUB systems rather than through provincial associations/prospects etc... who only focus on the same 16 to 18 players year after year. Bitter feelings develop and players move on when given the chance especially if other countries are offering opportunities that our country doesn't. With more and more young players leaving to go over seas at younger ages (De Guzman left at 12 and Hargreaves at 16), this revelation is only going to be the beginning.

It's a shame... but I really don't blame him. :(

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was watching an interview on the weekend with this kid, and he said he wouldnt be making a decision until next year....or something to that effect.
I guess the fact that he didn't answer the question from the Canadian reporter, actually spoke volumes.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The rules is what is wrong though.

It is all well and good that DeGuzman, Hargeaves, The Portuguese back up keeper, etc all should be playing for Canada...and made their choices to further their own careers...

But the rules need changing.

You should HAVE to play for the country of your birth, save extenuating circumstances- such as If a baby is born in Germany and moves to Canada before 1 year old or something...

You then, should only be able to play for your "other nationality" or "Heritage" if you cannot make the other team, ie If Hargreaves truly was English, he could then play for Canada if he, hypothetically, wasn't good enough for selection to England.

It makes no sense to me that Aiden McGeady can play his nat caps for the Republic of Ireland when he was born, raised, plays his football, and currently lives in Glasgow. He chooses to play for the Republic as he is Irish Catholic heritage, and is a typical Shellick Republican, through his grandfathers passport.

The rules are what need changing...I used to be bitter about Hargreaves taking off to play for England, but I feel like the rules are what is flawed, not the players now choosing the right decision for their own careers.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about Canada IMPORTING players then??? Randy Samuel was born in Point Fortin (T & T).

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the lack of debate is due to the fact we all knew he was going to make this choice. Still sucks though, but until the CSA gets sorted out we'll be seeing this.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The other guy that we may need to worry about is David Edgar. Although he is U-21 Capped he can still play with England as he has a British Passport. If he does, he needs to do it before his 21'st Bday which is in May I think...

If he does finally break through Toons startng XI there is a risk of losing him perhaps?

Sage

Jan 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is brutal news, another guy shafting Canada for another country (even though they are miles ahead in football supremacy). But imagine a canadian midfield with the two De Guzmans, DeRosario and Owen Hargreaves...I would bet that we could compete with a few countries.

Why doesn't Canada help it's own cause? If I'm the coach, anytime a young player comes through the program (say when they are 15-16 and are just moving to Europe to play club ball), why not call them into the senior mens team (even for a friendly). Sure, at the time you're not sure they will become superstars or even good players...but you can throw them in the last 5 minutes of a game and tie them up for Canada...sort of like a future insurance policy. Most will become nothing, but a few will become great players later on, but will be tied to Canada.

Just a thought.

Bifficus

Jul 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is brutal news, another guy shafting Canada for another country (even though they are miles ahead in football supremacy). But imagine a canadian midfield with the two De Guzmans, DeRosario and Owen Hargreaves...I would bet that we could compete with a few countries.

Why doesn't Canada help it's own cause? If I'm the coach, anytime a young player comes through the program (say when they are 15-16 and are just moving to Europe to play club ball), why not call them into the senior mens team (even for a friendly). Sure, at the time you're not sure they will become superstars or even good players...but you can throw them in the last 5 minutes of a game and tie them up for Canada...sort of like a future insurance policy. Most will become nothing, but a few will become great players later on, but will be tied to Canada.

Just a thought.

When was the last time that Canada had a friendly?
I think the CSA should be figuring out what is happening at the top. No leadership is what is causing (partly) the problems. Would you play for your country if there was no clear message as to where you going? I doubt it.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Off Topic: The Portuguese supposed third string goalie (The Guy from Edmonton) has now been relegated to 4th... He is tied to Portugal, so there goes his intl carreer.

On Topic: Why would any young guy @ 15 or 16 be dumb enough to play for Canada at the moment in a friendly, just to tie him up?

I really hope that a patern is not starting to develop here.

DeVos is done with Canada, we have lost the three in Hargreaves, DeGuzman, and the Keeper, and perhaps they would have put us on par with America? Maybe not? I don't know...

We have the talent base, even if it is being "developed" overseas, we just have no vision.

Dale Mitchell as our Nats Manager is shocking.

Who would you want to play for Mitchell (0 goals for and 0 wins in Canada hosted U-20 WC) or Marco Van Bastien?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I almost have no fight left in me over this shite.

Who do I get pissed at first? The player? CSA?

My views on players like these turning coat is well known. That being said, the CSA is just so fcuking dysfunctional that I am almost to the point of not blaming the players.

Just fcuking disgraceful all around. I am a proud Canadian, but absolutely embarrassed to be associated in any way w/ the game in this country.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0