Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

College Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

onelessstar

Dec 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
sensei hanson - weekend results

Sensei... I've gained a measure of respect for you over my time on this forum as your posts are most often intelligent and well thought out. But, you know what, I saw Sunday's game (and the tail end of Saturday's) and there was most definetely some VERY ugly, violent soccer played by BOTH teams with, I might add, some passages of nice play by both teams and a smattering of brilliance by Langara peppered throughout the second half of today's match.

You cannot (honestly) tell me that the BALL was of primary interest to EITHER team throughout much of today's match. It was one of the worst displays of testosterone-pumped soccer that I've been witness to for some time and, what was there, three or four yellow cards? There was, at very least, enough foul-play to warrant two reds per team and a baker's dozen of yellows.

I attribute much of that to an utterly embarrassing display of officiating -- the man, as nice as he seemed, simply lost control of the match early on setting the stage for some dangerous, dangerous (did I say dangerous?) play. Equal parts of the remaining blame could be placed on the coaching staffs and players of BOTH teams for not better controlling their conduct -- especially after the game was out of reach. I'm all for good, hard-nosed soccer but what I saw today was bordering on heinous.

Yes, Malaspina was very dirty at times. Yes, Langara was very dirty at times. I think you know this.

Madhandle

Mar 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
DC

DC -3
OUC -1

DC -2
UCC -1

We were up in the interior this weekend. Did a good job. Came back with 6 points. Hard fought games. Seasons almost over.
Its Crunch time.

Sensei , I told you about malasp. Crazy tacklers. Who do you guys have next week sensei?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
onelessstar,

Don't read more into my post than what's there. I never said we were running around with halos placed upon our melons, or that we never engaged in the occasional nasty tackle.

It was meant as a more open reply to your take on Mal's style of play. From my perspective, they had a variety of older, experienced players in the lineup who knew full well what the outcome of their challenges would result in. I saw about 3-4 guys who suit up for a few VISL premier squads....not to mention the big goateed dude in the back and the big swedish lad up front who are both 4th year players. So it's not like we're talking about a collection of rookie high school graduates who are simply in over their heads. Crap, they gave us a tough battle for 180 minutes this weekend. They knew that a physical and hard-tackling style was their ticket to getting a result, and we adjusted accordingly. I believe this made for the type of game you (accurately, to a certain degree) described.

As for the ball not being of any importance....I've got to take exception to that. We rallied for 4 straight goals in the second half and maintained possession for a good part of the frame. I'd say that's a fair indicator that keeping the ball was one of our main priorities for the match.

As for the officiating....moot point. He's probably on-par with the rest of the referees we get on a regular basis, as unfortunate as that is. I believe you're more than justified with the criticisms of Sunday's game, but to be quite honest, I don't even bother trying to complain anymore. You play the cards you're dealt.

Still, I can see where you're coming from, and your points are valid. Like I said in my earlier post, neither game was one for the ages....downright ugly in most parts.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Madhandle,

We've got Cariboo back-to-back at home this week-end. And yes, I'd like a scouting report. Looks like we're 1-2 in the standings this week. Who do you guys have?

-Sensei.

onelessstar

Dec 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei... there is no question that the ball was of a priority to Langara through passages of the match hence my careful wording...

"You cannot (honestly) tell me that the ball was of primary interest to either team throughout MUCH of today's match."

Your team looked very, very good, unfortunately though, only after Malaspina took the lead and your squad seemed to realize that you actually needed to play soccer to get a result. I was no way insinuating that you were any dirtier than Malaspina, nor that Malaspina was unaware of what their challenges may wrought. That said, your team (being an sophisticated bunch) was certainly cognizant of the impending result of their challenges, also.

I chatted with one of your players after the match and simply stated my opinion that he was far too good a player to get caught up in the "tit-for-tat" late challenges, elbows etc... (Why run an extra 20 yds. to "challenge" a ball you're never going to get just so you can get a piece of the other player?) I stick by that and feel that that goes for (most) of your team -- though one player especially seemed simply clueless that there was a ball on the pitch at all. (Yes, yes... one or two on the other team, as well.)

Yes... some games are rough and you have to adjust your game accordingly but, as one person on the sidelines at the match accurately observed, "How can anyone expect to play a good ball when they are more concerned about jumping to miss a late tackle?"

As per my response to Madhandle earlier in the season -- the challenges he referred to were largely commited by first year players not yet versed in the vital importance of marking and staying "marked-up" hence the desperation late tackles from behind while tracking back.

That said, I enjoyed watching your team when you got down to playing soccer -- amazing how your fortunes turned, eh? I respect your overall abilities -- I hope you all appreciate what you have. I'm sure if you stay focused on playing soccer you can take it all the way this season.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair enough. I can't really argue against any of the points you've brought up. Although, I believe that's the first time anybody has referred to our lot as "sophisticated". Unless it was in jest.

Thanks for the compliments on our play. I agree with you completely, we only seemed interested in playing when we got down a goal. Which is a really poor habit to get into.

Best of luck to your lot as well. With a few fortunate results over the next couple of weeks, you could find yourselves in a playoff spot. Nothing is out of the question.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
aaiiieeeee

UCC 3
Langara 2

We're not a very good team right now. We got served in the second half, tossing away a 2-1 lead to a team that was down to 10 men. A lackadasical and unfocused effort on our part. And I believe we're neck-and-neck with Douglas for first place. Gotta bounce back tomorrow.

Ankle Breaker

Sep 15, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey I thought I should add some university news

SFU men won yesterday against Western Washington University 3-1 in Bellingham. The team displayed some great ball skill and were clearly the dominant team. The scoring sensation Corazza scored two goals again and the team is now 9-2.

Next game is Wednesday against UBC at Swanguard at 7. Come out and watch and it should be a good game

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
wubba wubbba wubba

we's in troubba troubba troubba.

Lost again to Cariboo, this time by a 1-0 scoreline. This effectively knocks us out of first place and opens the door for Madhandle and company to clinch top spot. Another lacklustre performance on our part, this time on the offensive end. Just an awful week-end, really.

Boo everything.
-Sensei.

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei

How did you guys do against douglas, as good as yesterday I hope?

Where does this put you in the playoff picture 1 or 2?

What is happening with the UCC appeal any news yet?

Cheers
JB

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
UCC's appeal was successful, meaning they don't lose any points and are eligible for the playoffs. They finished in 3rd spot in the league. They play Cap in the first round of provincials.

We beat an undermanned Douglas side 3-0 and 2-0 this week-end. The victories put us in first place in the league. We play the full-strength version of Douglas next week-end in the first round of provincials at OUC.

That's about it for now. Should be some exciting stuff in Kelowna.

Cheers,
-Sensei.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Appeal

Sensei:

Rumour has it that some top scorer for UCC had apparently signed a letter of intent with Douglas and that this is the basis of the appeal? Is this true?

And does this now mean we get back, Matt Hale, our FVUC college player for next weekend as the appeal decision means that FV is not in the playoffs?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos.

This is the article that appeared in the Kamloops Daily News regarding the UCC situation. It'll clear things up for you.

This is a stressful time for the University College of the Cariboo Sun Demons men’s soccer team, but more so for one player in particular.
Jesse Arnett was declared ineligible after the Douglas College Royals launched a complaint, saying Arnett should be playing for them and not UCC.
Last April, while living in the Lower Mainland, Arnett attended a few practices with the Royals and says he was considering playing there this fall.
During the summer, Arnett decided to move to Kamloops and attend UCC.
A soccer player since the age of five, the 26-year-old went made the UCC roster.
Douglas called it poaching, citing the British Columbia Colleges Athletics Association rulebook, which states if an athlete tries out or plays for an institution, they may not play for any other institution during that academic year.
Douglas and UCC agree on the wording of the rule, but have differing interpretations of its meaning.
UCC acting athletic director Doug Leong says since the academic year starts in September and Arnett made the choice to come to Kamloops, there shouldn’t be a problem.
“I guess I find this frustrating more than anything else.”
The complaint was made Oct. 7, says Leong, and the BCCAA ruled on Oct. 10 he was ineligible.
On Oct. 11, UCC filed an appeal of that decision, which was heard Wednesday.
The BCCAA has five days to make a ruling on the appeal and a decision is expected today.
Should Arnett be declared ineligible, UCC will be fined and the men’s team will lose their points.
“It’s stressful on me and the team,” says Arnett. “For some of these guys it’s their fourth year. If they decide against me, I’ll feel responsible for them basically losing their year.”
What a year it’s been for the Demon men.
Two big wins last weekend, 3-2 and 1-0 over Langara, gave them 20 points and moved the squad into first place in the BCCAA rankings, one point ahead of Langara, Capilano and Douglas.
This weekend they’re on the road, facing Malaspina and Capilano. Two wins will secure first while two losses could push them down to fourth.

As for UCFV, they finished in 5th spot and missed out on the playoffs. So I suppose you get this guy back.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Garbage Move by Douglas

Originally posted by sensei_hanson
UCC's appeal was successful, meaning they don't lose any points and are eligible for the playoffs. They finished in 3rd spot in the league. They play Cap in the first round of provincials.

Would like to have seen UCC play Douglas, that would have been a cracker game with all the BS that took place off the pitch.

What is it with teams trying to get points or take away points through BS protests.

HOS

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei Thanks

Thanks for the update. Can't say I am real upset about FVUC not making as I do get the player back right away.

HOS as usuallis right. He may whine like a 3 year old but his mind is like a steel trap.

WTF is Douglas doing trying to change the results with an off field incident like this?

One of the best 'almost-ineligible' player instances occurred while Jim Easton senior was the SFU JV coach, and I was his assistant. On a Friday morning of a road trip, Varsity coach Keith Watts called me to ask if he can take a first year JV player to play that weekend in Seattle and Tacoma. We ran the JV team as a club team of Clan Alumni to not lose a year of eligibility for players so we recruited guys from outside SFU who intended to come to Simon. This guy was at VCC his first year on the team, and told me that he was now in SFU at the start of this new season. He attended the summer tryouts. He took the academic material we gave players but he was one of the delinquents handing it back into me. I didn't think too much about it, as I still had to collect the timetables from some others.

I tell Keith that taking this guy is fine. He calls the guy, the guy turns up at school with his bag and it looks like Jim and I have added another player to the Varsity. However, they had to check his transcript to ensure he was eligible. When they called the Registrar's Office, they said they never heard of him. The guy, and another Varsity player, go over to the Reg Office and start giving them complete shite. The guy starts to list his courses and profs. Unfortunately the first course, English 200, didn't exist at SFU, and neither did the prof the guy named.

When they called VCC as he said he entered from there, they just laughed. His GPA was less than 1.0 when he was there for two terms!

Keith calls me and tells me he wants me to get a statement from the guy about what happened BEFORE he suits up Sunday for the JV team. I call the guy at home that night and he puts me on hold for a minute. About 15 minutes later I realize the prick isn't coming back! What a guy!!! I won't name him but HOS may remember him as may others like Jack the Lad (who was himself a Varsity player then).

HOS: Chuck Keeling, of Cloverdale Race Track fame was on that team and he told me that he never saw books in the guys locker or any evidence that he was ever outside of the gymn. Chuck said he used to ask him and got slung obvious bs. He wasn't a bad player or person, just a little ahead of himself in his goal of wanting to play at SFU.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was his name R. Regnier

I know this player had a few elligibility issues while on the HILL.

Funny stuff, there are lots of stories of players have a tough time a school while playing soccer.

When I attended Cap. College and actually Jim. E. jr. was asst. coach. We had great teams, but terrible academic performances.

One year when we won the Nationals at Cap., some players actually stopped going to thier classes once soccer was done in Nov., Classic stuff.
This helped to put a team GPA at about 1.2 or so. Not many guys moved onto Unversity from those teams.

HOS

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not Robin Regnier

No, the guy I was mentioning was a never was! OK, his first name was Jim. He was Greek. No more info. It'd be nasty to say more. Ask Chuck on Friday night, he knows the guy.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Not Robin Regnier - Why, Is He a Has Been

Originally posted by Reccos
No, the guy I was mentioning was a never was! OK, his first name was Jim. He was Greek. No more info. It'd be nasty to say more. Ask Chuck on Friday night, he knows the guy.

Oh, Jimmy the Greek, was he the guy that was first in and last out of the shower after practice?

I will not see Chuck this weekend, but have a good time and tell him that I say hi.
Could you put 10 bucks on 5Star to win in the 7th.

HOS

KID #11

Apr 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Douglas Wins

I just heard that Douglas College won the Provincial Final over Cariboo College 1-0. And Cap beat Langara in shootouts to win the bronze medal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0