Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

College Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

star #1

Aug 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
yes douglas did win the provincials today 1-0 with douglas's Steadman Espinoza ( i think thats how you spell it) scoring in the finals.

bertrum

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Sensei Thanks

I remember that incident. JS I believe! When I played at UCFV same thing when we went to nationals. Out of 18 guys 3 cokmpleted their coarses or actually stayed in their classes. And yes Reccos I stayed in and did quit well thank you. A big change from my High School days!

Originally posted by Reccos
Thanks for the update. Can't say I am real upset about FVUC not making as I do get the player back right away.

HOS as usuallis right. He may whine like a 3 year old but his mind is like a steel trap.

WTF is Douglas doing trying to change the results with an off field incident like this?

One of the best 'almost-ineligible' player instances occurred while Jim Easton senior was the SFU JV coach, and I was his assistant. On a Friday morning of a road trip, Varsity coach Keith Watts called me to ask if he can take a first year JV player to play that weekend in Seattle and Tacoma. We ran the JV team as a club team of Clan Alumni to not lose a year of eligibility for players so we recruited guys from outside SFU who intended to come to Simon. This guy was at VCC his first year on the team, and told me that he was now in SFU at the start of this new season. He attended the summer tryouts. He took the academic material we gave players but he was one of the delinquents handing it back into me. I didn't think too much about it, as I still had to collect the timetables from some others.

I tell Keith that taking this guy is fine. He calls the guy, the guy turns up at school with his bag and it looks like Jim and I have added another player to the Varsity. However, they had to check his transcript to ensure he was eligible. When they called the Registrar's Office, they said they never heard of him. The guy, and another Varsity player, go over to the Reg Office and start giving them complete shite. The guy starts to list his courses and profs. Unfortunately the first course, English 200, didn't exist at SFU, and neither did the prof the guy named.

When they called VCC as he said he entered from there, they just laughed. His GPA was less than 1.0 when he was there for two terms!

Keith calls me and tells me he wants me to get a statement from the guy about what happened BEFORE he suits up Sunday for the JV team. I call the guy at home that night and he puts me on hold for a minute. About 15 minutes later I realize the prick isn't coming back! What a guy!!! I won't name him but HOS may remember him as may others like Jack the Lad (who was himself a Varsity player then).

HOS: Chuck Keeling, of Cloverdale Race Track fame was on that team and he told me that he never saw books in the guys locker or any evidence that he was ever outside of the gymn. Chuck said he used to ask him and got slung obvious bs. He wasn't a bad player or person, just a little ahead of himself in his goal of wanting to play at SFU.
:D

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to Douglas on their surprising victory. They were rock solid at the back all week-end and didn't allow a goal in either game. As for Stedman's strike.....wow. Talk about a class goal in a big game - easily the best strike of the week-end.

We couldn't finish our lunch against DC in the semis and that ended up being our downfall. The 3rd/4th was a pretty boring affair despite the number of goals being scored - neither team was really into battling it out in front of about five people at 10am.

Cariboo looked great in their shock 1-0 OT win over Cap in the semis, but couldn't put together as impressive a performance in the final, and it cost them. To put things in perspective, Cap hammered Cariboo 4-0 in the final league game, which I figured had set the tone for the Provincial semi.

yowen

Sep 18, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the CCAA website.

Mens Gold Medal Game

Douglas College 1 Algonquin 2 (extra time)

Hard luck boys :(

onelessstar

Dec 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
College Season 2003

Any news on where this year's high school graduating class (or college transfers) will be playing their soccer next year? I am especially interested in finding out who may be playing collegiate soccer in the States...

I know a few kids from Van Isle who are heading south:

Jamie Merriman (Nanaimo) -- University of Denver
Mike Seager (Victoria) -- University of Denver
Riley O'Neill (Campbell River) -- U. of Kentucky (I think)
Kjristen Sigmund (Nanaimo) -- U. of Minnesota
Carly Carlson(?) (Powell River) -- U. of Alabama

Any more that people know of?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
onelessstar,

Our goalie from the u-18 BC Team, Rowan Anders (from your neck of the woods I believe...Kwalikum?) has signed to Dartmouth University for next fall.

onelessstar

Dec 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
U.S. colleges

Brian Reems (Nanaimo) -- Francis Marion Univ. (S.Carolina)

Sensei.... do U.S. universities make much of an effort to recruit your BC U-18 players? Or, do the kids have to do most of the work themselves?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's great for Reemer....I didn't even know he had signed. He's come back from a fractured femur to suit up with us this summer. Strong player with an excellent work rate.

A few of our players are listed with BC Soccer University who I believe aided in some capacity with securing scholarships down south. Others have gone the independent route.

As far as I know, college teams really don't scout our u-18 Team in particular, mostly due to the fact that the majority of signing dates laid down by the NCAA occur well before the PCSL/Western Canada Games team has been formed. Prior to and during our selection camp we knew of several players who had already verbally committed or actually signed letters of intent to play at US schools this coming fall.

I believe they get most of their exposure through high school and club teams, and things like the NTC and Canadian National Team IDs.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you are involved in coaching 15-17 year olds, I'd highly recommend, as a coach, checking out College Bound Student Athletes .

This is a great service for kids whom are serious about chasing down a US scholarship. It costs (I think) about $450.00 USD, but they send out your portfolio to every NCAA school in the states, for as long as you're in school. It includes yearly updates, i.e.: if you start in grade 10, they'll update you in grades 11 & 12.

I found out about this in 1996 when I nearly took a job with them, but they pay 100% commission, and at the time I needed cool hard cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0