Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CFL Update's and Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lions Update

Mexi,

Dave Benefield signs with the Bombers.

Looks like the Lions are reshaping the team.....

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BJ won't be happy 5Biguns

Benefield Who? :rolleyes:

Good, it's time for a beepin' change. :eek: Perhaps it'll be a slow start then, or a bad finish:confused:

+nomatterwhat,SCwillbeinthestandswithhershelledpeanutsfromtimetotime;)

Is this the time to really say The Roar for One More ? &IdomeantheLions

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The CFL is back baby!

Time to bring this thread back into view. Some exhibition games have already happend. Anyone know the scores? Mexi? 5bigtoes? 5BT, where the hell are you? Practicing up for the Golf Tourney I hope.

The Lions open up the preseason tonight vs. Calgary.

I'm thinking that Damon Allen is too old, and it's time to move on. Who will replace him though? Matt Kellet is good, but at this point in his carreer, I don't think that he is ready to start all the time.

So glad the CFL is starting up again. They make shite, but it's the best, most exciting Football around.:D

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's so exciting about watching second-rate talent play in front of half-filled stadiums with rosters that rotate players though on a weekly basis?

The league is in shambles. How much longer is Braley going to "act" as commissioner? All you need to do is look south and see how well baseball is doing with an owner running the league - it just doesn't work. Conflict of interest to say the least.

The CFL lost all credibility when it expanded to Shreveport, Sacramento, Las Vegas (War Posse!) Baltimore (and the always-clever 'CFLers' moniker) and listened to any other bumfcuk US county who wanted "professional football". When that blew up in their faces, they came crawling back to the general public with the "Radically Canadian" marketing strategy, which basically confirmed that Canadian people carried a nationalistic sense of pride about one sport and one sport only - hockey.

Now it's home to a bunch of guys who can't hack it in the NFL, NFL Europe, the XFL and the Arena League. Damon Allen is thirty-fcuking-nine years old and there isn't a guy in camp who's even remotely close to pushing him for the starting spot.

The Lions compete in a summer market with a single "A" baseball franchise and a near-bankrupt semi-pro soccer team, yet their current season ticket base is the lowest in team history. The reason - its a shite product and people don't want to support it.

Everything went downhill when Flutie left,
-Sensei.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think he about covered it.

Bravo Sensei I couldn't agree more. Why the hell would any one watch two teams continually go two and out because the receivers can't catch and the running backs can't run.

The CFL is full of crap players who can't hack it in the NFL. The lions are pinning there hopes that some poor sap gets cut in the NFL so he can just challenge Grandpa Allen for a spot.

Diabolical to say the least. I would way rather watch the C's on a warm summer night play ball. A sport/game I can't stand by the way.

Hey Beer guy... I'm empty.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I may be harsh, but admit, there's a lot of truth there.

It's frustrating because underneath all the front-office stuff, the CFL probably carries a good on-field product. But there's been so many awful decisions from the owners and league office over the past few years - makes it hard to support the league or the franchises within. The Lysko saga couldn't have been handled any worse, which was the icing on the failure cake for the CFL. It still amazes me that a league can both fire a commissioner and prepare for a new Ottawa franchise in the same off-season. One step forward, two steps back.

The thread title does say "banter". Didn't specify positive or negative banter.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A great first weekend.

The CFL's regualr season got underway last Tuesday night with our beloved Lions starting where they left off last year. They lost 27 - 20 to Montreal. Allen looked OK, but they really need to find a good young QB. Allen is just getting too old. They followed that loss up with, you guessed it, another one. They lost to the Ti-Cats on Saturday something to the tune of 27 - 15.

There were some good games. The first game in Ottawa in three years was a great. Saskatchewan won it in OT. Frank Clare Stadium was jam packed.

5BigToes, Mexi, any comments?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have to see a CFL game from one of the true CFL cities to really get an appreciation for what it means to those communities. Having lived in Winnipeg for a short, hellish stink, I can say that the league, players, and game are revered over there.

That said, I won't be attending any CFL game in Vancouver until they get an outdoor venue. The sauna is just way too uncomfortable to sit in.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Lions win! The Lions win!

VANCOUVER (CP) - Sean Millington ignored the pain from a broken rib and carried the Lions on his back by rushing for four touchdowns as B.C. won its first game of the CFL season with a 51-21 mauling of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Thursday night.

``You need any win but in our situation it was nice to get a monkey off our back you really don't want to have there,'' said Millington, who went into the game with a broken rib but tied a team record for rushing TDs in a game with runs of one, six, nine and 17 yards.

``The stakes were higher.''

Quarterback Damon Allen also scored on a one-yard run and surpassed 55,000 career passing yards. The defence pitched in with Carl Kidd returning an interception 44 yards for a touchdown and Barrin Simpson scoring on a 39-yard fumble recovery.

``We're doing the things now we need and the things we were saying we were going to do all along,'' said Millington, who finished the night with 50 yards on seven carries.

A crowd of 14,218 saw the Lions improve to 1-3 and keep coach Steve Buratto's job safe for another week.

Hamilton quarterback Danny McManus threw two touchdown passes to Tony Akins before leaving the game late in the second quarter after a brutal hit from Simpson.

``I took it right in the face mask and it was tweedie birds circling around after that,'' said McManus, who returned to action late in the third quarter but threw interceptions on his next two passes, both leading to touchdowns.

``From then on it was downhill.''

McManus completed 11 of 18 passes for 221 yards, three interceptions and two touchdowns. He was replaced by third-string quarterback Pete Gonzalez, who hit Akins on a 22-yard scoring play.

Millington galloped through the Hamilton defence like a horse through a corn field and tied the team record of four rushing touchdowns in a game set by Larry Key on July 31, 1981.

The league record for rushing touchdowns in a game is five, first set by Calgary's Earl Lunsford in 1962 and tied by Martin Patton of Shreveport in 1995.

The Tiger-Cats, who have lost nine of their last 10 games in Vancouver, dropped to 2-2. Wide receiver Andrew Grigg also left the game with a suspected separated shoulder.

``I give them full marks,'' said Hamilton coach Ron Lancaster. ``They beat us up.''

A bad night got worse for the Tiger-Cats with 54 seconds left in the first half when Simpson flattened McManus like a bulldozer rolling over an egg.

The Hamilton quarterback lay flat on the field for several minutes, flexing his right arm. After being attended to by the training staff, McManus slowly walked off the field, but looked like a man whose brain had trouble making the feet move.

Simpson added insult to injury in the fourth quarter when he clobbered backup quarterback Butchie Washington, picked up the loose football and ran for a TD.

Allen, who completed nine of 16 passes for 203 yards before being replaced by Ortege Jenkins in the fourth quarter, called it a big win.

``We knew we were getting better offensively,'' he said. ``I thought our guys played hard. That was a big plus and an encourage booster for our team.''

Notes: Allen has scored 79 touchdowns on the ground in his 18-year career, moving him onto fourth on the all-time rushing list, tied with former quarterback Matt Dunigan. ... Included among the signs in the stands at B.C. Place was one reading Free Iverson. ... In their first three losses of the season the Lions averaged just over 129 yards in penalties, second most in the league. They were called for just 45 yards Thursday.
Finally a win for the Leos. Shocking crowd though. There was some talk of Braley buying BC Place from the government a little while ago. If he does, the first thing he should do is take off the friggin roof.:mad:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No kidding. The lack of having any local talk in a rag can't be helping either. You know a good portion of those tix had to have been comped.

I enjoy watching football, but the only time I'll ever go watch is in late fall, or playoffs- when the weather is ugly outside, and the dome isn't a sauna. We used to go to Empire stadium when we were kids and sit in the Nally's section. The place was always packed, and we had a blast!

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leos

This team can play defence and have a couple of weapons on offence... I have to admit, before last night I haven't been to the Dome in a season and a half... Dude you are right, it is cooking in there and that's only with it 1/4 full... They need to rip off that terrible roof, put in natural grass and promote the hell out of it...
Go back to their Safeway cheap seats... something to the effect of 2 tix for $20-25... if and when they could get the numbers back up to 30,000 they could open up the top half and sell tix for $7 or $8!!! Get arses in the seats... One huge advantage of taking off the roof would be the Empire Stadium atmosphere could return and on a beautiful evening (like last night) more people would be willing to go down to the game...
That said, the weather doesn't always cooperate in Vancouver, but we should be used to a little rain by now...:rolleyes: The natural grass has something about it... I personally love the idea... Not to mention a friendly soccer match or two with some big Euro clubs could be possible... Who wouldn't pay $30-40 to see Man Utd vs Barcelona???
Pipe dream??? Probably, but why not try it, there is nothing to lose!!!

GuinnessbackontheLeosbandwagon:cool:

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good Game

Leos looked good last night and with Danny McManus knocked out of the game by a great hit by Barrin Simpson, the Leos walked all over them.

The new running back, Willie Hurst, can really move and create excitement. Darren Flutie and McManus came out flying in the first quarter and looked like it would be great game. After that Flutie disappeared as the other two QBs simply aren't experienced enough to find him.

Lions first big break came on a hit on a receiver that went into the defenders arms and it was like that all night with breaks going to the Leos. The second big break was that door knob kicker Matt Kellet didn't have to try a field goal. He looks shaky kicking converts!!

Tony Martino, the punter, should be back training for field goals as anybody has got to be better than than Kellet.

Surrey United guys must have been all over that joint last night including the guy four rows in front of us with his SU t-shirt. I guess he was looking for Surrey girls and needed some way to let him know they were there.

Crowd was bad but with no papers who knew there was a game.

Guinness is right though, they have got to do more promoting and cheap tickets like the first game of the year with 2 for 1. At least they'd make more money in concessions and programs and that.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Time to fire coach Burrato. The Lions lacked intensity against Edmonton, and let a rookie beat them. These guys need a drill sargent to get them playing with any sort of intensity.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, for fcuks sake would you please stay on...........oh wait, that was on topic.;)

The pass defence looked fcuking horrible on Friday night. Nobody could stick with there man. You and I could probably defend better then some of the guys they have out there. Shocking really. I agree with the need for a coaching change. Probably should be done sooner then later. Maybe Sid can coach them.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know about you, but I could have.;)

It's a shame, really, because Burrato seems like a good guy; the type of coach we'd all like to have. He let's the players manage themselves, and gives them second chances when they screw up. I'm thinking that the players are just way too complacecent.

What is it about BC? We always seem to get these kind of guys- who come here and treat it like a country club. Maybe because the public & press doesn't scrutinize them as much as in other towns. It can't be the environment- they practice and mostly live out of Whalley for fcuks sakes!

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another "article" for Dude.

SURREY, B.C. (CP) - Steve Buratto has been fired as head coach of the B.C. Lions and the CFL team has called an afternoon news conference where general manager Adam Rita is expected to be named the new coach.

A source close to the team said reports Rita will take over as head coach ``are pretty accurate.''

Buratto confirmed his firing in a radio interview.

``I'm no longer the coach of the B.C. Lions,'' he told CKNW.

``It's obvious that after last night somebody is not buying in. Something has to change. In this game it's generally the guy at the top of the heap. If you don't want to get knocked off the pedestal, don't climb up there.''

Team officials spent most of the morning in meetings. There were reports that Buratto was offered the job of defensive co-ordinator but refused.

Reporters at the Lions practice facility in Surrey said Buratto got in his car and drove away.

The Lions have a 1-5 record, the worst among the CFL's nine clubs. The team is also struggling at the gate, having attracted around 45,000 fans to three home games.

Buratto, 58, took over the Lions in week eight of the 2000 season after the bombastic Greg Mohns left to join the XFL. Soft-spoken but with a spine of steel, he united a fractious 3-4 team and finished the regular season with an 8-10 record. B.C. went on to win the Grey Cup.

Since then the Lions have never been able to live up to their expectations.

Led by aging quarterback Damon Allen, the team sometimes shows flashes of brilliance but remains a constant shade of mediocrity. In 2½ seasons Buratto had a 14-21 record.

Rita began the 1998 season as the Lions head coach but after a 3-6 start, was replaced by Mohns. Although he carried the title of general manager, many in Vancouver questioned exactly what his role was. Rita often was criticized for failing to find talent or develop a quarterback to replace Allen.

Following a 23-15 loss to the Calgary Stampeders on Thursday night it was clear the team needed a major shakeup.

``Things will change,'' team owner David Braley said after the game.

Most of the players were supportive of Buratto.

``I like coach Buratto,'' said linebacker Carl Kidd.

``I don't think you're going to have no better coach that treats his players the way he does. Coach Buratto is a really good man.''<

After Thursday night's loss Allen said any decision about a coaching change was out of his hands.

``I don't care what happens,'' said Allen.

``That's not my mind set. We lost and this football team has to change that. I know the coaches coach and the players play and we're losing games on the football field. This football is not playing to its potential.''

Since winning the 1994 Grey Cup, the Lions have had two seasons with a record over .500.

The Lions major signing over the winter was to hire Bob Ackles as president. Ackles began his career with B.C. as a water boy in 1954 and went on to become general manager, leading the team to the 1985 Grey Cup.

He then spent several years in the NFL, working for Dallas, Phoenix, Philadelphia and Miami. He spent the 2000 season as vice-president of the XFL Las Vegas Outlaws.
This was inevitable really. 1 and 5 to start the year is shite. BC should be near the top of the league with the players they have. Hopefully this will turn things around, but one has to wonder if it's too late.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No they shouldn't! They suck! Their best running back is back-up QB Ricky Foggie for fcuk sakes! Can anyone tell me WHEN Sean Millington all of a sudden went from fullback to premier running back?

Rita should have been hunting for a protégé from the minute Allen went down last year. Nothing. They should have lured back Robbie Gordon. Natta. Their best slot back (Alfred Jackson) is a natural wide receiver for Christ’s sakes!

The defense is obviously solid, but the offence is awful. Can't run. Can't block. Can't complete a Goddamn pattern!

These guys suck. They should be 0-6.

Who should be top of the league? Winnipeg...mostly stocked with ex-Lions who were successful here.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Adam Rita

Steve Buratto used to be a nut bar. Unfortunately for him he has gone too far the other way - too frigging nice.

The best football coaches have that bit of a cnut perspective sufficient to ensure that players understand that they have to do their jobs or else, but not so much that guys play in fear.

If it is Adam Rita moving in now, he is similar to Steve Buratto. Both nice guys without the Don Matthews kind of edge to him. The only advantage is that he knows the systems and he brought in the players.

The Lions could have won last night if the bonehead move by Carl Kidd taking a peno on a downfield receiver didn't happen when the Stamps had fumbled and the Lions recovered. At that point they seemed to be on a bit of a roll and possibly could have scored the TD and won!

By the way, Dude, Alfred Jackson looked like he was on crack while he was dropping passes last night. Willie Hurst got hurt early and he last week looked like he was on crack.

The big thing in football is momentum and any week or game the Lions can catch fire and play great including a play off run.

Part of the Lions problem is that there is a revolving door of players and that doesn't really help the team or the gate. That is also part of the CFL problem generally as guys are having to move to move from $30 to $32000 a year and some GMs don't know their ass from page eight when it comes to marketing. At least with the Canucks, people know the names of the players as they stick around a lot more.

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure if I agree with the Adam Rita comment. I seem to remember him losing it a couple times as coach of the Argos. Maybe that's what BC needs. As nice a guy as Buratto was, something needed to change. While Allen and the offense could be as equal to blame, ultimately it rests with the coach. If you can't win, you can't coach. That's what it boils down to. Hopefully this will shake things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0