Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks 2021/2022

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Motte to Rangers for a 4th.

The reality is that's probably right for a 4th liner, no?

In other deals, Welcome back Brad Richardson whom the Nucks claimed on waivers today. He's 37 and ready for our contender status in '25.
On one hand, seemed expensive for a 4th liner. On the other hand, if one player makes the 4th line "tick", and the others aren't so expensive, shouldn't one be looking at the cost of an effective 4th line?

Plus, he was young.

Not sure I care enough, either.

Probably care more about getting a King's ransom for Miller.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
On one hand, seemed expensive for a 4th liner. On the other hand, if one player makes the 4th line "tick", and the others aren't so expensive, shouldn't one be looking at the cost of an effective 4th line?

Plus, he was young.

Not sure I care enough, either.

Probably care more about getting a King's ransom for Miller.
which they would have done - except that ownership wants the first round playoff revenue so they have to race to finish 9th...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
which they would have done - except that ownership wants the first round playoff revenue so they have to race to finish 9th...
Yup. As I was driving home last night, tuned on SN, and realized I missed the trade deadline. And fcuk, they did the same old thing where they don't capitalize on assets. It's really a piss off.

They'd better sign him now, as they missed the one opportunity to get maximum value. At this point I feel likely his best value is here, and we'll have 2-3 good years out of him, and the rest will be a fast depreciating asset.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nucks 3-1 Avs

Flicker of hope still there to keep interested down the stretch?

Michael

Jan 25, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another near miss finish for the Canucks.

Another chance at the draft lottery, hopefully with new Management they bring better luck and not draft later than our projected position.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nucks 3-1 Avs

Flicker of hope still there to keep interested down the stretch?

Has to be now, no?

Brough asked a great question this morning: are we content w/ the core? Petey / Boeser / Horvat / Miller / Demko / Hughes.

I am a yes. The core has underwhelmed, and we need to acquire talent to push them.

Me, Still on the bandwagon of moving Miller, for all the reasons @mtkb stated. We missed the opportunity to get as much as possible, but can still do well there. He's, age wise, in depreciating asset realm.

Secondly, Horvat. I know that won't be popular, but I feel that he's reached his peak, and we need a new voice. Dunno who that is, but several years ago the 'Nucks made a huge change in leadership, and went with a young leadership core of the Sedins, worked out pretty well. Allowed guys to step up in camp and stand out, team vote. I feel we need to do that here.

Trade Miller, Queens random (King's ransom has sailed)
Trade Horvat, get good futures.
Lean heavily on OEL to fill a leadership gap.
Let someone come through the ranks to reveal themselves as the Captain.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
A couple problems with that:

1) OEL is a 3-4 D man and fast descending to a 5-6. This isn't Lee Fogolin babysitting Gretzky and Messier; this is a recently acquired and fading veteran who won't be a good enough player to justify that kind of leadership load.

2) Are they trying to win games in the regular season or win a Cup? For me, Horvat and Miller are guys you go to war with. Petey and Hughes - not so much. I still maintain Petey won't hold up for four rounds, and Hughes still can't win a battle below the red line to save his life. They'll put up their points and look sexy doing it getting you to the playoffs, but their profiles as impact guys don't really fit what recent Cup winning teams have rolled out.

I think they're in a unique position here in that the one time the fan base would tolerate moving top players is when a new management team comes in. They can say "we're here because this wasn't working, so we're going to fix it". It doesn't hurt that they held out and may have cost the team a playoff spot by so doing. And finally, neither of them is a particular cap steal, nor is going to be.

So I keep Horvat (assuming he's willing to re-up), probably try to keep Miller for another five years, and move the younger guys for a princely, princely sum...

Michael

Jan 25, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I understand correctly, are you implying moving Petey and/or Hughs?

I'm not sure the fanbase would be onboard with that.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Horvat is getting a bit of a raw deal in this town from those saying to move him. He ain't going anywhere and does the job needed... fcuk the twatter warriors.

I would not mind seeing Boeser being the one shipped out eventually.

I would also ship out Hughes to the Avs for Makar. I mean, who wouldn't?

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm suggesting they're not going to win a Cup with those two leading the charge, and that now is the time for a course correction that can be sold as the new regime having a different philosophy about how to build a contending team.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A couple problems with that:

1) OEL is a 3-4 D man and fast descending to a 5-6. This isn't Lee Fogolin babysitting Gretzky and Messier; this is a recently acquired and fading veteran who won't be a good enough player to justify that kind of leadership load.

2) Are they trying to win games in the regular season or win a Cup? For me, Horvat and Miller are guys you go to war with. Petey and Hughes - not so much. I still maintain Petey won't hold up for four rounds, and Hughes still can't win a battle below the red line to save his life. They'll put up their points and look sexy doing it getting you to the playoffs, but their profiles as impact guys don't really fit what recent Cup winning teams have rolled out.

I think they're in a unique position here in that the one time the fan base would tolerate moving top players is when a new management team comes in. They can say "we're here because this wasn't working, so we're going to fix it". It doesn't hurt that they held out and may have cost the team a playoff spot by so doing. And finally, neither of them is a particular cap steal, nor is going to be.

So I keep Horvat (assuming he's willing to re-up), probably try to keep Miller for another five years, and move the younger guys for a princely, princely sum...

The kids are kids, way too early to tell. Remember when Steve Yserman was considered too soft to lead? I do. Keenan leaving him off the Canada Cup after he was I think third in NHL points behind Gretz and Mario. He rounded out pretty nicely and clearly knows the game. I'm old though. You don't trade away that kind of talent. You live w/ growing pains.

To be clear, wasn't suggesting you strap a C on OEL, was saying you lean heavy on him till someone seizes the opportunity.

The team needs a shake-up and assets, though. You can get serious assets with those two. I just don't see Miller at 5 years. Don't see he'll be happy to resign w/ Horvat moved out, either.

We need to ask Mr. Base, he'll know the answer.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Miller and Horvat can walk after next year. So you either sign them long-term or move them. That could be one or both.

Stevie Y wasn't partying at Michigan Stadium while his teammates dug into training camp, waiting for his bag of money to turn up after a couple of years in the league. Yeah, some young guys figure it out. Some young guys (Seguin, for instance) never really do.

I'm not suggesting trading them for picks. I'm suggesting trading them for comparable young talent with a skillset more suited for what you're trying to build...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Miller and Horvat can walk after next year. So you either sign them long-term or move them. That could be one or both.

Stevie Y wasn't partying at Michigan Stadium while his teammates dug into training camp, waiting for his bag of money to turn up after a couple of years in the league. Yeah, some young guys figure it out. Some young guys (Seguin, for instance) never really do.

I'm not suggesting trading them for picks. I'm suggesting trading them for comparable young talent with a skillset more suited for what you're trying to build...
Wasn't parting? Kidding me? The whole league ran on coke! Co'mon, man....

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Absolutely keep Bo.

I'd keep Hughes as well.

Pettersson and Boeser have not won me over to the point of justifying their cost.
I like them at their ability, sure, problem is you simply don't see enough of it.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stevie Y? No way. @Dude needs to remember not everyone grew up as Coquitlam trash.

#shoveitupyourcapehorn
Fighting words @Regs .

By fight, we knew every time we went over the bridge, we’d win the game but lose the fight against you Surrey and Delta thugs.

#alwayslockyourbikeinsurrey

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0