Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canuck Trades - Sedins for !?!

What Do Ya Think

• Total voters

stoned wall

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
That would be great! Yes he's old but a star in this league and one helluva shot!

Keep in mind that this could tell you what is going on with Sundin if you read between the lines. If they were to sign Shanahan, a big if, does this leave cap space left over for the $10 million a year offered to Sundin?

stoned wall

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard on the radio this morning that Sundin was at the game last night. Why ???
Why not, he's training in L.A. is he not? I'm not saying that Sundin isn't going to sign here. He'd be stupid not to go to the game if his mind isn't completely made up just to see what the team in Vancouver is all about.All I'm saying is if Gillis had planned to sign Shanahan from the start then why wait so long to give him an offer? Again just speculating, in my opinion this shows that Gillis is aware of what Sundin has decided and has gone to plan B.

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
i just thought I'd throw it out there. My boss is a former coach of Jason Krog and was actually talking to him on the phone last night after the game. Apparently the Canucks, according to Krog, have put an offer on the table for Brendan Shanahan. What do you guys think?

shanahan would be a great gamble. a big man, maybe slow but probably great hands still and very effective on the power play if he sits in front of the net. add the leadership qualities and cap room and it's not a bad move by gillis.

with sundin staying away and training in L.A., his contract would be pro-rated so lots of teams still in play

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
To answer your question about shanahan and Sundin's affordability.

Yes, depending on the contracts awarded. The monies are prorated...therefore if 20% of the season is gone, the Canucks would only pay Sundin 80% (8 Million) of the contract.

I wouldn't be in favor of Signing Shanahan. He had his heart set on NY Rangers, and they aren't about to bust up a team that has them off to their best ever start in their long illustrious history, I know...I watch (almost) every one of their games.

The two keys to Sundin is...

We and the Habs are the only real teams with any potential shot of winning playoff rounds (nevemind a cup) and the only teams that could sign him without severely breaking up the roster in order to sign him.

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
only thing that bothers me (except freebase of course), is the issue of the travelling via Vancouver. If these older players like Sundin and Shanahan by chance ends up in Vancouver, is it really a big deal? The long 6 game east coast trip has already occurred.

My cousin in St Louis thinks Shanahan will end up there. Makes sense too.

Did the TV broadcast of the canucks vs Kings last night show Sundin at the game? Sundin was seen with Gillis.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The announcers just mentioned he was in the box with Gillis, but never showed him. Apparently he wants a 2 year contract if he's going to sign anywhere, and the Nucks are the only team offering 2 years. Is the $10M incentive laden? Or straight salary? He would be a great and could give the Sedin's the chance to play against the 2nd D pairing every night, then watch out. As said before, they can't carry us to a cup, but as 2nd liners they have to be the best in the league, and would no doubt contribute more than enough there.

Rodzilla

Sep 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
i just thought I'd throw it out there. My boss is a former coach of Jason Krog and was actually talking to him on the phone last night after the game. Apparently the Canucks, according to Krog, have put an offer on the table for Brendan Shanahan. What do you guys think?

he barely broke 20 goals last year, he's 40, and he hasn't played since last spring. 5 years ago great, but i don't know who he'd knock out of the top 6, especially when Demitra gets back, pyatt's already gonna lose the spot to Bernier.

You may as well bring back Greg Adams.....

Rodzilla

Sep 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh and Sedin Update :eek:

Canucks get 6 goals in Anaheim.

Sisters: 0 points and 2 pathetic shootout attempts.

What would we do without them? :wa:

I hope we give em 6 million per

Attachments

• 2hi1niw_th.jpg
    2hi1niw_th.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 34

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Sundin really wants to be part of a winner, he will come here for a bit less so that they could get another player like Shanahan and keep the twins as well.

I think we are two players away from 3 better than average lines and we've got enough role players to make a solid 4th line as well.

Losing the twins so we can get a 38 year old and a 40 year old for a couple years makes no sense.

Shanahan-Sundin-Demitra
Daniel-Henrik-Bernier/Raymond
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen/Raymond
4th Line: take your pick and maybe just keep Wellwood in the line-up for PP and SO

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bonus trade!:wa:

I'd like to see Schnieder, 1st rounder and Pyatt for Spezza.
Ottawa's goalies suck (Auld, Gerber) and Schnieder is ripping up the AHL right now. his stock is heading up!

You would need at least 2 more 1st round picks or two more top prospects for this to happen. Pyatt has no market value.

Oh yeah...And there would have to be no such thing as a salary cap.

Rodzilla

Sep 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
You would need at least 2 more 1st round picks or two more top prospects for this to happen. Pyatt has no market value.

Oh yeah...And there would have to be no such thing as a salary cap.

Pyatt is a throw in to make a spot on the roster.

Spezza has taken some heat in Ottawa for his awful playoff last year ( 1 Assist in 4 games )

Schneider has got to be in the top 3 if not number 1 for young goalies not in the NHL, and was a first rounder.

This years draft is regarded as a bumper year, and the canucks are a .500 team right now, which means in the top half of the first round if it continues.

I think if you switched Pyatt for ohlund (yes i know he has no-trade clause but he may walk anyways this summer, you can ask) in the trade and perhaps added a prospect (Michael Grabner/Patrick White??) it would get the Senators looking hard.

Schneider and 3 first rounders for Spezza? Only if his name is secretly Evgeni Malkin.

Attachments

3.1 KB · Views: 37

Rodzilla

Sep 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
and why would there be a salary cap issue?
It wouldn't be on the canucks.

You makey no sensey.....

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
and why would there be a salary cap issue?
It wouldn't be on the canucks.

You makey no sensey.....

I thought the Canucks only had $10 mill to play with?

If they pay Sundin this, how do they afford Spezza (5 mill) and Kovulchuk (5.5 mill and in line for a 2.5 mill raise) who make more than what the twins do/will? And where would this leave Ohlund? Do they let him go for nothing because they have no money to offer him? What about Burrows? He's in line for a raise as well.

Never mind the fact that they would then have no goalie in the system in the event Luongo asks for crazy money in two years.

They would have to lock up Luongo for another 5 years before they trade Schneider.

G Luongo, Roberto 3rd year of a 4-year deal $7,000,000
D Salo, Sami 2nd year of a 4-year deal $3,750,000
F Sedin, Henrik Pending UFA $3,575,000
F Sedin, Daniel Pending UFA $3,575,000
D Ohlund, Mattias Pending UFA $3,500,000
D Mitchell, Willie 3rd year of a 4-year deal $3,500,000
F Kesler, Ryan 2nd year of a 3-year deal $1,733,333
F Pyatt, Taylor Pending RFA $1,500,000
F Burrows, Alexandre Pending FA $500,000

Demitra 4.5 mill
Edler?
Wellwood 1.0 mill
Krog 500,000
Bieksa 3.75 mill
Hordichuk 750,000
Johnson 1.2 mill

D Bourdon, Luc Pending FA $850,000
F Cowan, Jeff Pending FA $725,000

I am not sure if these two count against this year's cap.

Rodzilla

Sep 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
AHHHHH....... I thought you were just talking about the Spezza deal, i hadn't put any thought about Spezza, Kovalchuk, and Sundin all under the cap. That may be dicey.....
Especially if Burr and Kesler keep up there pace, but sundin at one year would be easy and if he has a second year it would be Luongo's last year before his next raise.
2 Sedins would be a wash with Kovalchuk, and probably a savings over there raises next year.
Spezza......well that would make things real tight, but if Burke can get around a cap, i'm sure Gillis wouldn't have a problem. The roster would have to trim some pricey fat though.....

Rodzilla

Sep 22, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
sundin's 10 million would be prorated to whatever is left in the season.

he signs at 40 game mark, 10 million counts as 5.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0