Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Club Rankings

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FYI,
From Canadakicks.com

So here you go the first attempt at a national ranking for men's club teams as of October 9th, 2001:

Rank Team Pts
1 Vancouver Whitecaps - A-LEAGUE 82.75
2 Ottawa Wizards - CPSL 48.85
3 Calgary Storm - PDL 47.15
4 Toronto Olympians - CPSL 38.6
5 Toronto Supra - CPSL 25.45
6 King of Donair - NS 24.6
7 Montreal Impact - A-LEAGUE 24.25
8 Edmonton Victoria - AMSL 21.3
9 Hfx Dnbk Tropicana - NS 20.6
10 St. Catharines Roma Wolves - CPSL 17.45
11 Lac St. Louis Lakers PQ 16.5
12 PoCo City Dominion- BC 11.4
13 Toronto Lynx - A-LEAGUE 6.75
14 Woodbridge Azzurri A - OSL 5.4
15 Surrey Utd. “A”- BC 3.5
16 Edmonton Scottish - AMSL 2.6
17 Canonniers de Longueil - PQ 0.4
18 Nanaimo United - VISL -1.9
19 Laval Dynamites - CPSL -3.25
20 Vancouver Explorers - PCSL -3.6

#12 PoCo City Dominion :D I like it.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zaurinni is behind this conspiracy

I knew someone from Poco was going to post this... I have inside knowledge... it is a piss-take intended to spark debate for that website.

There is no other explanation.

~TB.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Where's GEU?

I don't want to toot the VMSL's horn, but how could Poco end up in front of any VMSL teams? Is this based on winning percentage? Must be a Poco website.

Skytrain

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Poco in the top twenty?

Although a good team, I don't think the rankings could be that accurate if no VMSL teams are ahead of PoCo. Possibly goals for/against is what places teams on this list.

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Formula

Regs,

You said you emailed the people who put together this list. Do you know what sort of formula they used to come up with the ranking system.

I'm sure you could help them fine tune their formula, being a stats/ math guy.;)

I think the ranking system they've come up with are a good idea, although at this early stage they don't really reflect who the top BC teams are.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
it's all in the central limit theorem

Sliver,

I say a lot of things :D

I think the ranking system they've come up with are a good idea, although at this early stage they don't really reflect who the top BC teams are.

Do ya think?

~TB.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
New Rankings.....

Rank Team Pts
1 Richmond Town - RSSL 84.34
2 Shamrock Rovers - RSSL 51.33
3 Calgary Storm - PDL 47.15
4 Toronto Olympians - CPSL 38.6
5 Toronto Supra - CPSL 25.45
6 King of Donair - NS 24.6
7 Montreal Impact - A-LEAGUE 24.25
8 Edmonton Victoria - AMSL 21.3
9 Hfx Dnbk Tropicana - NS 20.6
10 St. Catharines Roma Wolves - CPSL 17.45
11 Lac St. Louis Lakers PQ 16.5
13 Toronto Lynx - A-LEAGUE 6.75
14 Woodbridge Azzurri A - OSL 5.4
15 Surrey Utd. “A”- BC 3.5
16 Edmonton Scottish - AMSL 2.6
17 Canonniers de Longueil - PQ 0.4
18 Nanaimo United - VISL -1.9
19 Laval Dynamites - CPSL -3.25
20 Vancouver Explorers - PCSL -3.6

I was very surprised with these rankings because Shamrock Rovers are currently in first place in the RSSL. Figure that out.
:confused:

B

Bill Ault

The Rankings

First of all I admit it the Rankings were developed to spark debate not just on our site -- the Voyageurs are independent from us -- but all across this big wide beautiful country.

It needed to be done. It is my personal belief (call me mad, most do) that this kind of debate will finally push people into organizing a true national cup competition. Motive two.

Score so far 1 for 2 with the jury out on two. :D

The BC posed a special problem. In that while the rest of the country prepares for -20 and meters of snow you guys are just starting your soccer season. So is the national Championship thebeginnig or the end? BC people are telling me it is the end so we may have to do a major revision based on the final standings from 2000-2001 in BC -- what is the opinion here.

Two the formula is a secret but involves phases of the moon, uniform colour and of course a huge bias towards teams from Nunavit. Seriously though it is straight math based on W L T F A
and weighted towrds the professional sides. For a team like King of Donair to make the top ten they had to have an almost perfect season because the system penalizes teams for both losses and goals against.

It's not perfect, never will be but iwth our objectives in mind we're batting .500 and leaning towards the magic 1.000 mark.

Thanks for reading and writing.

Bill Ault
Canada(&BC)Kicks

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for the explanation Bill.

When you come up with next list make sure that Pegasus of the VMSL get docked a few points for having some total bastards on their team.:rolleyes:

We all know that Poco City deserve to be the top amature lower mainland team.;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bill,

You'd have better luck if you picked a panel of three judges to make the picks, say, Lennard Bobiduzzi, Alan Ferris, and that left back who plays for Brazil :D

It looks like you easterners (where the hell is Brinston anyways?) need some help with the western scene. Ask away and I'm sure you'll get some enlightening feedback here on TTP :D

~TB.

B

Bill Ault

My biggest problem with the BC Soccer Scene is you guys get to play year round ...

Other than that the big question is are the nationals seen as the beginning or the end for BC team in their season. Out here in frigid Brinston, (about 35 minutes south of Ottawa), they are of course seen as the end.

Like I posted previously if they are the end I need someone to point out a source for 2000-2001 standings for the VISL, VMSL and FVSL. The PCSL we got. Another question and one sure to get well reasoned, conservative answers how do people in BC rank the various leagues? Is the PCSL seen as the top league? Most provinces seem to be leaning towards a provincial league at some level. Here in Ontario it's obvious A-League (well with the Lynx maybe not so obvious), the CPSL and the OSL and then the various amateur senior leagues.

Some have said we should separate the rankings into amateur and non-amateur but I think that would take out a lot of the fun in it.

In any case all in good fun,

Bill

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I suppose the PCSL could be considered the top league here... if you're still living in the 80's :D

Even though my opinion may be construed as biased, I don't think you'll get any serious argument that the VMSL is the number one league in BC and has been for at least the last decade.

I suppose you'd have to contact the various leagues for last years data. Good luck. In my experience, they are not the most cooperative bunch and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were just outright ignored.

Here are the websites that have contact info:

VMSL
FVSL
VISL

~TB.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Bill Ault
My biggest problem with the BC Soccer Scene is you guys get to play year round ...

Bill,

That only applies to the Lower Mainland and Island leagues. Drive 2 hours either East or North, and the BC climate becomes just as inhospitable October-April as most of Southern Ontario.

We shouldn't be punished out here because we take advantage of tolerable weather. The fact is, the climate has helped BC produce this country's best players, and likely the top armature league in the VMSL, with the FVSL following close behind (NO COMMENTS TB!). The PCL was at one time considered the best, but more and more it is becoming a development league for other leagues / programs. Some people may even give some top VMSL teams consideration to being competitive to the A-League.

As much as I love the FVSL, it is pretty obvious that Dominion received such a high ranking because they were dominant in the league, while some of the VMSL teams didn't rank because the top of the VMSL was more competitive. Obviously, Surrey United ranked high because of their PCL success.

I guess it would be nice to know exactly what considerations were given what weight. A good debate, nonetheless.

DWMC

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0