Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bring back the CBC

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watched the game on the weekend. Absolutely awful. Couldn't even see some plays because of camera angles and many replays were enjoyed by the fans at Taylor field that we never saw. It is garbage that the management is not letting their employees come to work and do thier job. I can't even imagine what hockey will look like.

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard that. I think it is mostly the novelty of the situation at this point combined with BC on the road and being 9-0. Those numbers won't keep and I really can't see hockey televised like that being accepted.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with you Willis but look at the numbers! The radio broadcast was synched in and the 1040 announcers called a good game for radio and tv and now viewers are liking that.

What pressure is there on management to bring anybody back to work on football broadcasts including the panel? Right now it is in to say you hate the broadcasters and their numbers continue to be strong. The CFL isn't happy but I think this is about saving CBC money and it's working fine.

I'd have liked a few more replays that we didn't get that we should have.

No doubt the fans came on in the 3rd/4th Q as it looked the Lions might lose and then when Buck Pierce did his thing no one was turning it off.

I see that Wally Buono is finally seeing that they need to do some things on offence to reduce the sacks. He has gone fishing though! He is not the author of the offence and therein lies some of the problems. Chapdelaine is not the play caller that Buratto was and is. This is not Wally's offence but John Hufnagel's who taught it to George Cortez who tried to teach it to former Stamp receiver Chapdelaine.

It is not all the lines fault as some of this has come from QBs not releasing or the QB not stepping up into the pocket to get protection on the back side- Casey.

Dickenson likes the intermediate pass that is deathly when the Lions are in their 6 receiver set and the blitz is coming. Dickenson knows that when the blitz is he has to go short or long if you want to hit them in the spots they've left. It is the intermediate pass that is still not on in a blitz and why Chapdelaine keeps calling that is beyond me. If they move the safety up and even if they rotate their DBs, they can still cover the intermediate throws that Dickenson loves and Chapdelaine calls. He sees that covered and he is right it is too late to toss so he gets hit.

Pierce is doing better as he has the smarts and keeps his eyes downfield when they blitz him as he said himself. He also is fast enough to get out of there and avoid the sack if he needs to, something that Dickenson isn't as good at.

Casey right now looks so fragile I am not sure he can read the time clock any more let alone a defence. He is just not able to play now and is banged up mentally and physically. He needs to rest not more playing time. This to me is a completely lost season for the guy. Too bad because he is an exciting QB when he is on and he still will be in the future. I don't see this guy as a one year wonder and then bust, but I know some football boards think he is.

John Hufnagel who designed Wally's offence that is used here now by the Lions:
"From 1990-96 Hufnagel was the offensive coordinator for the Calgary Stampeders, helping both Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia earn All-CFL honors."

This is the guy who succeeded Hufnagel-

"Prior to joining the U of Cal (Golden Bears) staff, George Cortez served as offensive coordinator for the 2001 Grey Cup champion Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League and was the man credited with developing the talents of Jeff Garcia and other successful CFL quarterbacks. Under Cortez's tutelage, Garcia led the Stampeders to the 1998 Grey Cup title and later elevated his game to NFL Pro Bowl status with the San Francisco 49ers. Cortez was the mastermind behind some of the CFL's most prolific offenses during his four years as Calgary's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

In 2001, the Stampeders led the league in eight offensive categories, including scoring (25.4 ppg), while Calgary running back Kelvin Anderson gained 1,383 yards to lead the circuit's No. 1 rushing offense.

A year earlier, Cortez produced the CFL's 2000 Most Outstanding Player in quarterback Dave Dickenson, who guided an offense that ranked first or second in seven league offensive categories. Despite playing three different quarterbacks due to injuries,

Cortez helped steer Calgary to the Western Division crown in 1999, a season in which the Stampeders topped the CFL in seven offensive areas.

And in Cortez's first year as Calgary's coordinator, the 1998 Stampeders claimed the Grey Cup as the Garcia-led offense paced the CFL in 10 statistical departments.

Cortez, a 1973 graduate of Texas A&M, also coached Calgary's defensive secondary in 1997 and was the Stampeders' offensive line coach from 1992-94 - a period in which their line led the CFL in fewest sacks allowed. In '92, his player, Bruce Coventon, became the first-ever offensive lineman to win the Jackie Parker Trophy as the Western Division's Rookie of the Year. Remarkably, three of his quarterbacks from the 1998 Calgary team played in the NFL (Garcia, Dickenson and Henry Burris)."

What has Chapdelaine done??? Questionable to this stage. He may be a good O coordinator someday but the owner canned him on Wally and then they pushed Buratto out of BC at the end of last season.

At times when our O is struggling (not often when 9 and 0) it seems Chapdelaine struggles and doesn't send in the things that might bail a QB like Casey out.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Go Lions!

Can't believe the audience numbers, but talked to a few Rider fans that said the telecast made them feel right at home. Nothing like watching a game at Taylor Field, I guess.

Things look good for talks though, should be all settled by the time the NHL season comes along. Although, I like the idea that maybe we would have the refs miked and a little more on ice audio. Could make for interesting stuff - still remember last time they tried it, Bobby Clark leaning over the glass yelling at Newell?, "you god d#mn a##hole, you f##cking qu##r!" Classic stuff.

Good to see the CBC getting some press on TTP, I'm a prisoner of the strike right now. Stuck in Ottawa for the duration, can't believe that I'm missing the run up to the season. Got the soccer jones bad right now. Wickham management is happy though, the average age of the team has plummetted - its a new look for 2006.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great call from the flaming skeleton riding a motorcycle in the back row there.

Brave New Waves should have been compulsary listening for the youth of Canada.

It would have drastically cut down the number of shite musical suggestions posted on TTP alone.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reccos said:
I agree with you Willis but look at the numbers! The radio broadcast was synched in and the 1040 announcers called a good game for radio and tv and now viewers are liking that.

What pressure is there on management to bring anybody back to work on football broadcasts including the panel? Right now it is in to say you hate the broadcasters and their numbers continue to be strong. The CFL isn't happy but I think this is about saving CBC money and it's working fine.

I'd have liked a few more replays that we didn't get that we should have.

No doubt the fans came on in the 3rd/4th Q as it looked the Lions might lose and then when Buck Pierce did his thing no one was turning it off.

I see that Wally Buono is finally seeing that they need to do some things on offence to reduce the sacks. He has gone fishing though! He is not the author of the offence and therein lies some of the problems. Chapdelaine is not the play caller that Buratto was and is. This is not Wally's offence but John Hufnagel's who taught it to George Cortez who tried to teach it to former Stamp receiver Chapdelaine.

It is not all the lines fault as some of this has come from QBs not releasing or the QB not stepping up into the pocket to get protection on the back side- Casey.

Dickenson likes the intermediate pass that is deathly when the Lions are in their 6 receiver set and the blitz is coming. Dickenson knows that when the blitz is he has to go short or long if you want to hit them in the spots they've left. It is the intermediate pass that is still not on in a blitz and why Chapdelaine keeps calling that is beyond me. If they move the safety up and even if they rotate their DBs, they can still cover the intermediate throws that Dickenson loves and Chapdelaine calls. He sees that covered and he is right it is too late to toss so he gets hit.

Pierce is doing better as he has the smarts and keeps his eyes downfield when they blitz him as he said himself. He also is fast enough to get out of there and avoid the sack if he needs to, something that Dickenson isn't as good at.

Casey right now looks so fragile I am not sure he can read the time clock any more let alone a defence. He is just not able to play now and is banged up mentally and physically. He needs to rest not more playing time. This to me is a completely lost season for the guy. Too bad because he is an exciting QB when he is on and he still will be in the future. I don't see this guy as a one year wonder and then bust, but I know some football boards think he is.

John Hufnagel who designed Wally's offence that is used here now by the Lions:
"From 1990-96 Hufnagel was the offensive coordinator for the Calgary Stampeders, helping both Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia earn All-CFL honors."

This is the guy who succeeded Hufnagel-

"Prior to joining the U of Cal (Golden Bears) staff, George Cortez served as offensive coordinator for the 2001 Grey Cup champion Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League and was the man credited with developing the talents of Jeff Garcia and other successful CFL quarterbacks. Under Cortez's tutelage, Garcia led the Stampeders to the 1998 Grey Cup title and later elevated his game to NFL Pro Bowl status with the San Francisco 49ers. Cortez was the mastermind behind some of the CFL's most prolific offenses during his four years as Calgary's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

In 2001, the Stampeders led the league in eight offensive categories, including scoring (25.4 ppg), while Calgary running back Kelvin Anderson gained 1,383 yards to lead the circuit's No. 1 rushing offense.

A year earlier, Cortez produced the CFL's 2000 Most Outstanding Player in quarterback Dave Dickenson, who guided an offense that ranked first or second in seven league offensive categories. Despite playing three different quarterbacks due to injuries,

Cortez helped steer Calgary to the Western Division crown in 1999, a season in which the Stampeders topped the CFL in seven offensive areas.

And in Cortez's first year as Calgary's coordinator, the 1998 Stampeders claimed the Grey Cup as the Garcia-led offense paced the CFL in 10 statistical departments.

Cortez, a 1973 graduate of Texas A&M, also coached Calgary's defensive secondary in 1997 and was the Stampeders' offensive line coach from 1992-94 - a period in which their line led the CFL in fewest sacks allowed. In '92, his player, Bruce Coventon, became the first-ever offensive lineman to win the Jackie Parker Trophy as the Western Division's Rookie of the Year. Remarkably, three of his quarterbacks from the 1998 Calgary team played in the NFL (Garcia, Dickenson and Henry Burris)."

What has Chapdelaine done??? Questionable to this stage. He may be a good O coordinator someday but the owner canned him on Wally and then they pushed Buratto out of BC at the end of last season.

At times when our O is struggling (not often when 9 and 0) it seems Chapdelaine struggles and doesn't send in the things that might bail a QB like Casey out.

Holy fcuk, Reccos, how long did that take? :eek:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
It would have drastically cut down the number of shite musical suggestions posted on TTP alone.
Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves

Topical,

~Regs.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Holy fcuk, Reccos, how long did that take? :eek:

About 5 minutes. I just googled George Cortez and John Hufnagel.

This is not news to those who know the CFL so it was a few seconds to cut and paste. Yeah the rest I typed but I do that quickly.

I guess I am a bit pissed at the Lions play calling at times and that they didn't bail Casey out until the 3rd Q when you could see on tv that he was hurt earlier and favouring his arm.

I also think Jaques Chapdelaine is NO Steve Buratto when it comes to tweaking the offence and calling the plays. You can see after a game what Buratto was setting up and trying to do - it comes clear but not with the Lions when they struggle on O.

Not complaining too much as they are 9 and 0.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I bought "Katrina and the Waves" along with "The Inmates" - years ago, but classic stuff. Long lost and forgotten tape format... but fond memories. Don't think I ever heard The Inmates get any play in North America.

I sure liked that Pierce's performance - sure overcame what ever offensive scheme problems the Lions were having.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
colemanj:

I agree.. Pierce can play. I know someone who is a family friend and he says that he did not get drafted in the NFL despite being ranked 11th in US college QBs as he ran the option there for his first three years and only in the end did they go to a pro set offence. He had some tryouts with NFL teams but didn't get drafted.

He found out the night before the Lake Oswego free agent camp and went to it. He lives just south of the Oregon- Calif border so he made it.

He is a younger, faster and stronger Dave Dickinson. Yes, he has not played a full game but he sure is able to score on most of his drives.

I liked the article in the Regina post which said:

What does it take to beat the Riders?
A Buck and a quarter.

How are the Riders like a possum?
They lie down at home and get killed on the road.

Why didn't the Riders play 60 minutes vs the Lions?
They did play - 55 min on defence and 5 minutes on offence?

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I predict CBC hockey to be in full swing. Talks are happening and in Vancouuver, the CBC will not recieve a permit ot begin constuction on their new building until some negotiaons are made. Either way, I want this lock out to over before teachers go on stike. 2 to 0 incomes will be very hurtful.

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The guys on the line here are hopeful that something can be hammered out quickly -- maybe everyone can be back to work by the 19th? It's not quite as hurtful, but missing training camp and having kids signed in my place is terrifying. Anyone need a 47 year old centre back?

I predict that Katerina Mae-Doan will be hired to replace Chris Cuthbert.

Topical,

theJman

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone need a 47 year old centre back?
Talk to me any Saturday.......:D

Have the Inmates here on vinyl - they had lots of play when their album (the only one that I can remember) came out...

Sync'ed broadcasts are great. Used to do that all the time whenever the 'Nuckleheads were on HNIC and we were blessed with the sonorous droning of Bob "I can only remember the players' names if they're wearing Leaf colours" Cole - we'd mute the tube and crank up Jim Robson.

J - so you're not really Getting Ahead In Advertising? Please keep us taxpayers posted.....

beerZ,

stew:cool:

ps - Mikey is still pissed that he's got nobody to yell at during keepups except WhiteKnight and Hanno now that you're not around...

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard they were doing still trying keepups at 8:30 two Saturdays ago when the Hannorator crashed over the bushes onto the hood of Mikey's car - some people don't know when to quit. Or should I say, some people never quit!

Coming home this Saturday for a quick visit and a few pops - with everyone's season coming up I'm hoping for a good crowd. Sounds like they've been having a banquet every Saturday lately, sucks being away.

See you at the cooler,

J

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0