Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brazil vs Canada? [Result: 3-2 Brazil]

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Brazil vs Canada?

Game is on Sportsnet this morning... 7AM on east/ontario or 10AM on Pacific

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reporting from Seattle :)
Good game all around. The pitch was absolute shite though, you could see where the seams in the pallets of grass had not quite grown together and players were slipping all over the park. Atmosphere was pretty decent too. Lots of yellow of course, but we were getting slaps on the back when Canada scored and good natured ribbing when Brazil did. Canada looked really quick and attacked pretty well. They played a very contolled 4-5-1 and didn't look out of place at all. The thing that set Brazil apart was the runs they were making on the flanks. You'd see a back start ar run from 40 yards back and just know he'd get picked out and get the ball at full speed. The third goal was a shocker though. I watched Robinho take off a full second before the back pass. Quite the letdown.
Good to see all the old boys out too Dolan, Kuschy, Eddie all looked like they were having the night of their lives.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just got back.
Great game. Canada looked good. Other then the backpass that led to the gwg.
Canada did look good going forward. And were patient with the ball at the back, switching it side to side. I was very impressed with our side and they did Canada proud.
We could have gone up a goal a couple times if we finished our chances.

This team CAN and I beleive WILL qualify for the World Cup.

Forza Canada

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As well... Friend, De Guzman, and the left back, #19, were really impressive.
Friend was a beast up top, winning every ball in the air. '

"Why can't we be Friends, Why can't we be Friends, Why can't we be Friends"

It was a great one to sing!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Excellent reports and how I saw it just watching on TV this morning!

For the first time in a very long time, Canada has depth. And putting aside the ill-fated ball by DeGuzman, the middle of the park is, dare I say it, verging on world-class.

The trio of DeGuzman, Attiba, and DeRo is fantastic. Mitchell needs to find them an additional quality outside player(s) because whomever he's putting out there now with them is a step below. Perhaps De Jong is going to be that guy.

Brazillian keeping was shocking - is that a surprise? I still don't understand how the Seria A has 2 of them starting on their teams :confused:

For Canada, there are 2 players to me who need to really step up their game: Stalteri & Hastings... I'm not sold on them and think there are better options (Klukowski or whatever his name is comes to mind as definitely one who would be slotted in there).

After seeing the Gold Cup and now this game, not qualifying for Africa would be huge.

Also agree with Kurgan on great seeing Dolie, Daso, Kuschy and Eddie helping out the team. On the telecast they said Paul Ward was the fourth official - that's great for him and hopefully he gets more assignments rather than my favorite official from these parts :D

Regarding the telecast: great that Sportsnet picked it up but Dobson needs to go! Forrest had to correct him noticeably a couple of times and it really gets irritating, knowing that he gets it wrong half the time :(

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
9 of us travelled to the game, Section 303, Row R which is in the corner and pretty high up, however that facility is just excellent for fans and the view was tremendous. 47,000 fans according to the attendance reports.

That was by far the most exciting game I have seen Live, and a very good performance from Canada. After the Brazilian goal at the 4 minute mark I though for sure we were in for a tough night but Canada attacked well all night and got the equilizer at the 10. Canada should have gone up at that point with a missed break-away attempt that the brazilian keeper closed down well and another near miss. Canada's 2nd goal was a nice strike... too bad about the pass-back...

Brazil certainly had the edge in moving the ball around with patience and I was often critical of how Canada Center midfielders seemed to hang back on our attacks HOWEVER they kept proving me wrong making timely runs forward. Some fantastic tallent on this Canadian squad and nice to see some fairly new names as well as some old. I cannot believe how impressed I am. Canada also seemed to show some great composure when in their own end with the ball (while being pressured), I expected them to just hump it out of danger, but instead a good pass and a good look most of the time.

I watched the match on TV This morning as well and it does the game no justice.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Being in Hong Kong these days, I couldn't find it on any of the soccer streams where you can get EPL games.

Well it seems that we have a decent side and no doubt decent coaching for any who might have doubted Dale Mitchell's ability to get his side to play the game the way it is supposed to be played as the game reports suggest they did.

I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Mitchell has been around long enough since his own days in the 1986 World Cup to know what it takes to get to there and has seen enough Canadian disasters since there to know what to do and what to avoid - I sure hope so.

It sounds like Canada actually tried to play rather than hump the ball up the park which doesn't work at the national level.

kenny

Jul 12, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was at the game and can assure everyone that our lads (Paul Stalteri, Rob Friend, Dwayne De Rosario and company) did us proud !

Actually, we were unlucky not to have won.

I don't think that Brazil should feel to smug about beating the world's 40th ranked team or are we the 62nd ?? (I can't count that low..) by only 1 goal, considering they had the likes of Diego on the field (who got the first goal)as well as: Adriano, Robinho and Alexandre Pato. Rob Friend answered with a header goal only 5 minutes later.

In general we played solid in the back field and had crisp passing.
The below link pretty much sums it up.

Game Canadian side drops friendly with Brazil

suburbanator

Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think that Brazil should feel to smug about beating the world's 40th ranked team or are we the 62nd ??

If we had tied we would have moved up into the 50's, a Win would move us into the 40's..... loss.... we are still basically 62nd... damn the new system lol.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was impressed watching the game yesterday morning too....

De Guzman has come a long way and what a goal he scored...He didn't get it all the way to the post, but put enough steam on it to cleanly beat Cesar.

Unlucky for De Ro, if he had managed to get a little more under that ball he played into the keeper in the mini breakaway I think that could have really stung the Brazilians.

I knwo it means nothing now...but imagine that team with Jonathan De Guzman and Owen Hargreaves in it too...:eek:

I really think this team should be able to qualify for the WC, unless the suspect officiating from the Latino Parts of Concacaf ruins it yet again (Honduras @ Swangard)

Well done by the boys in red, I too thought it would be defend in numbers, lump it up the park 60 yards, chase it around and hope for the mistake, but they really truly showed some classy build up play, some patience, and I thought the result of 3-2 wasn't truly indicative of the overall feel of the play of the game.

I think if Brennan comes in for Hastings that result is probably a draw...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Slightly related question:

Picture a Brasilian side with Ka'ka, Ronaldinho, and the guy with the penchant for transvestite hookers in the lineup: would Canada still look as good as you lot who were at the game thought? Just curious if our boys in red are really on the verge of being competitive on the big stage, or if Brasil was just missing too many cylinders.

Not meaning to be a killjoy; just extremely cautious. I did not get to see this game or the replay.

Trece

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is good to see Canada has some sponsors as well. At least i think they do. Nice to see the Grecian Formula step up and take care of Pat Onstad.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
KaKa probably would have made a big difference, aside from him I can't see Ronaldinho as a huge improvement over the midfield of Diego, Baptista, Josue (Who would have been out for Kaka) , and Robinho dropping from FW or Mineiro pushing up from RB, since he hasn't been playing at all since Christmas.

Luis Fabiano is no slouch, and Pato and Adriano did come on.

Ronaldo will never play for Brazil again, and unless Ronaldinho doesn't get his act back on track he may be done too...

The Backline for Brazil was shocking, as De Guzman should have never had the space to run 5 yards and hit that screamer he hit.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have posted a few photos I took from my seats. I have a few more if anyone has any interest. You may recognize a few folk in the photos.

From my point of view, absent a howler of a back pass, Canada played very well. They were decidely un-Canadian in the way they played, i.e. with skill and incisivenes. I thought that Stalteri struggled a bit at right back.

I wish Canada would give more of our local lads an opportunity. There are a few Whitecaps and other locals who would match well with the present line-up.

I was very impressed with the physical stature of Lucio and #7 for Brazil. Those boys were chiseled from stone.

Adriano spent too much time at the all you can eat pasta buffet. One too many platters at La Rocca. Don't blame him, the pasta at La Rocca is to die for. Keep it real Lion!

Pato looked a bit overpowered. Give him another year with the big boys and he'll be good.

Mr. Ward did a fine job as 4th official. No Navarroesque fights with the benches. Having said that, we should be proud of Mauricio. He is excelling at a level of his profession that none of the rest of us will reach. Spend a few moments off the pitch with the fellow and you'll learn the depth of his knowledge.

The_Reverend

Sep 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
well, seems like it was all said already, but I have to put in my 2-bits... was a great game to watch and at times, thought we could have pulled out at least a tie... excellent atmosphere and suburbanator is right - even nosebleed seats had a good view!

football dude

May 5, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was at the game and I was impressed with Canada. We really competed. If this is a sign to come, the days of the garbage dump and chase are over and the more skilled Canadian footballer are here.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ball watching on the first Brazil goal was poor but some nice goals scored.

That back pass looked like a brilliant attacking cross. What was that guy thinking or was he thinking!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0