Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best and Fairest - Goal Scorers Race

bored

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This year I returned from Australia. I played soccer there for a few years. Something they did that was pretty interesting was called the Best and Fairest. It was a competition where each team would pick the opposing teams 2 (or 3, can't remember) best performers and give them points 3-2-1. The totals would be kept and at the end of the season you would have totals for players that played well all season. Obviously the player with the most points gets an award. It was very interesting and similiar to this web site, it kept everyone in the know. The Fairest came into play because if you got a red card you were out of the contest. You could still get points but you couldn't win.

They also kept a running total of the goal scorers on their website, I can't remember exactly how it went but it might list the top 10 or 15 scorers in the league.

This would be handy for Premier for All Star selection.
It would be fun for the lower divisions, just to know and for more piss taking. It would'nt be hard to do once it was started just submitt the info with the scores after each game.

Any thoughts?

bored

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was called
Western Australia Amateur and Social Soccer Association - WAASSA - http://www.waassa.ola.com.au/site2004/index.html

I wasn't able to connect. It was the association that did this, the reff collected the details from each coach at the end of the game, and obviously he kept track of the goal scorers. The league posted the info on their website.

bored

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I figure we could get some input from interested parties - teams, refs and the league.

My thoughts:

The goals get recorded by the reffs, just the players numbers will do - the reffs already have the list with the player numbers and names.

End of the game the reff checks with each coach about game stars, I think pick 3 players from each points best 3 then 2 then 1. The reff also confirms the goal scorers at that time.

The information is submitted to the league and put on a spreadsheet on the league website.

I don't think it would be much work once it was organized.
Great info for Premier and fun for us has beens or never wassis in the lower divisions.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think it would be great...challenge may be finding someone at the league to take on the task. Somebody relatively young, energetic, who'd be all over this like a SHARK on a menstrating snorkler.

Kenny can you hear me?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bored said:
End of the game the reff checks with each coach about game stars,

At the end of the game Walks likes to check with coaches about free pints and cooler sizes first, but I am sure if you score him a spicy sausage or two he will take down a few game stats too.

Great Idea, Regs is a Cheater!

hos

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
who'd be all over this like a SHARK on a menstrating snorkler.
Graphic.

I've read quite few game review's over the years and noticed such a vary large variance of coaches opinions over player performance or even the out come of the match. How do you suppose a coach would objectively pick 3 stars for the other side after losing, say, a close one JB c0cked up, or a 6- buzz piss take? How many times have we read cainy say one of Crafty's boys was pish after he was just praised for his efforts by Craftey?

Just asking.

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
good idea, and would make the league more interesting. especially at the prem level. Anyone know who the current goal scoring leader is?

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The idea sounds very good indeed.

I will bring it it up with the powers that be and try to get some feedback rolling!

As it stands, we do record all the Premier Goal scorers and have a running record for this season right now.

Okay Dude! ;)

bored

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
Graphic.

I've read quite few game review's over the years and noticed such a vary large variance of coaches opinions over player performance or even the out come of the match. How do you suppose a coach would objectively pick 3 stars for the other side after losing

I think that is just part of it. We play for fun, after every game this is done so hopefully (and most likely) it would all even out come the end of the year. It is better than having each team pick their own stars. I suppose you could let the ref decide but that might not be objective either. I think you just hope/assume that everyone is playing fair and realize that over 18 games it should work out.

bored

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about a trial run in this years cup games - fewer games, easy to judge how well it works.

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great idea Bored, it's just getting all the other teams to buy into the game plan.

That's the hard part with some of these Bafoons!

LittleKeeper

Nov 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
outkast said:
good idea, and would make the league more interesting. especially at the prem level. Anyone know who the current goal scoring leader is?

I know that Neil and Kevin on the Lions are battling it out for the team lead. I thnk they are somewhere around 10 each or something like that

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Coach
As it stands, we do record all the Premier Goal scorers and have a running record for this season right now
The VSML post their top goal scorers on their website, WHY DOESN'T THE FVSL??? Coach, make this happen!!!:wa:

bored

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It would be pretty easy to do with the refs involvement.

The ref talks to each coach at the start of the game and gives them a flyer saying what it happening. The flyer has a space for his three picks and spaces for the goal scorers. This gets handed in at the end of the game when he collects the players cards. Ref calls it in. League posts the results, done.

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
lets not let this thread go in to the dusk like every other one, this is a good idea and really isnt that hard to implement.

bored

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree.

Anyone know how to or can volunteer to attempt to move this forward??

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS said:
At the end of the game Walks likes to check with coaches about free pints and cooler sizes first, but I am sure if you score him a spicy sausage or two he will take down a few game stats too.

You know me better than that HOS, pints, geegers and cooler sizes are checked well before the opening whistle :D.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0