Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best amatuer player currently playing in BC?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL, came here to post the exact same thing :)

If I had to guess on current players in Premier, I'd put in Adam Costley but he's getting old now too :)

Wasn't Jacob Lensky considered a very good player in the past? I believe he's player for the Trollups this year.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A kid named Justin Wallace up here is pretty freaking good. Should be on the radar for Caps and CMNT, but because of where he lives, and plays, he's probably not seen enough, or at all.

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Justin is a 92 born and he is known by Provincial team, Nat team and universities. He was in the CAPS full-time Prospect system so they seen him there but there was a disconnect between 1st team and Residency/Prospect teams at that time. He played for SFU in 2012 but moved back to interior and played for TRU in 2013. He is an excellent player and is one of quite a few locally that could garner a look.

All the local 92's were guinea pigs in the fledgling CAPS youth development system and sort of paid the price for where the system is going now. Some still stay connected via the PDL teams and it's strange that some great performances in that league does not open up more opportunities.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Piss-poor scouting comes to mind as the primary reason...:rolleyes:

Maybe some of these great local "amatuer" players need to get connected with the West African player agents who keep touting the next Drogba to me...

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Best amateur player? You'd think that designation should transcend into some type of professional opportunity. Perhaps, but in my humble opinion, the overwhelming quality that should be considered when labelling or scouting any such player must include great character.

In our local environment, lack of character is too easily dismissed and encouraged by the imbalances presented in societal values. I know some high quality local players who get mixed messages on how they are valued. They don't know how to navigate the waters. They emit a persona that might not make them an attractive option at the end. You need the whole package.

Back in the day, I believe it was easier to spot top players that had more of the complete package that could transcend into professional opportunities and more willingness to utilize the local environments by professional and national teams.

Regs opinion on Costley is valid and supports my comment above.

Nigel Marples for SU DEFINITELY brings the whole package. But he was a pro.

And then there are my 92's.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby, did anyone from Whitecaps or BCSA approach you and offer you a job within those two organizations? To make it clear, you are one of the few coaches I talk about when I sometimes write here about some local coaches who deserve all kind of credits for their work with youth but it always seems (to me) that the wrong guys somehow end up being promoted (if work for BCSA or Whitecaps actually can be considered as some kind of a promotion).

When you mentioned your 1992 generation as guinea pigs I can tell you that the situation is not better with generation before 1992 (obviously I am talking about 1991 who had some great, great talented players lost in ridiculous BCSA and Whitecaps "systems") or currently with all those kids playing in HPL (or BCPL whatever the name is). A lot of great players do not even want to play HPT (BCPL) and they keep playing Metro/Selects that gets bypassed by Provincial and/or Whitecaps "authorities".

Unfortunately, it is too late for 1991s or 1992s (they are now 22, 23 year old and pros like Hurtado, Mattocks, Teibert, etc. already are taking their places). I can still see some familiar names among Whitecaps U-23 team and keep wondering how many U-xx teams Whitecaps are going to have. U-23 now, what is next? U-27 maybe? Just ridiculous.

Finally, when you were working with your team (1992) and some other good coaches with older generations we (here in BC) had generally a lot more success everywhere. Once all that somehow got under BCSA and Whitecaps greedy jurisdiction (and their experiments) everything now looks dark. Correct me if I am wrong. Cheers!

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby, did anyone from Whitecaps or BCSA approach you and offer you a job within those two organizations? To make it clear, you are one of the few coaches I talk about when I sometimes write here about some local coaches who deserve all kind of credits for their work with youth but it always seems (to me) that the wrong guys somehow end up being promoted (if work for BCSA or Whitecaps actually can be considered as some kind of a promotion).

When you mentioned your 1992 generation as guinea pigs I can tell you that the situation is not better with generation before 1992 (obviously I am talking about 1991 who had some great, great talented players lost in ridiculous BCSA and Whitecaps "systems") or currently with all those kids playing in HPL (or BCPL whatever the name is). A lot of great players do not even want to play HPT (BCPL) and they keep playing Metro/Selects that gets bypassed by Provincial and/or Whitecaps "authorities".

Unfortunately, it is too late for 1991s or 1992s (they are now 22, 23 year old and pros like Hurtado, Mattocks, Teibert, etc. already are taking their places). I can still see some familiar names among Whitecaps U-23 team and keep wondering how many U-xx teams Whitecaps are going to have. U-23 now, what is next? U-27 maybe? Just ridiculous.

Finally, when you were working with your team (1992) and some other good coaches with older generations we (here in BC) had generally a lot more success everywhere. Once all that somehow got under BCSA and Whitecaps greedy jurisdiction (and their experiments) everything now looks dark. Correct me if I am wrong. Cheers!

RL RCD, I appreciate the kind words. To be fair to those organizations, it was my choice to establish my personal situation of where I am and not theirs. I was never offered anything directly nor did I seek it. I think my actions (and non-actions) pretty much established where I was going to stay in the current environment.

The turmoil I have always had in the amateur system is balancing my role in the pecking order and still try to meet individual player needs, team needs, club needs, BCSA, CAPS, and National team needs. The fact is these higher entities need us to sustain their initiatives by handling all the grunt work below. I tried to instil the "character" components in these players I related to in the previous post so that they can make the proper transition into these higher levels. However, the inconsistencies in the programming, the transitory commitment of personnel in these programs, and the cloudy objectives of this programming, made it more difficult to address the character traits I talk about. I think these amateur players are apt to be represented inaccurately in this environment and its a bit tougher for the cream to rise to the top. BUT!!!!These players have some personal accountability in this and in no way can they deny that. Two-way street! Yes, the 91's were also very much in the same boat.

The top amateur players who deserve "the chance" are the ones most likely to represent themselves appropriately to those with the innate ability to judge character beyond talent, AND/OR have the ability and confidence to say that they can develop that player and make them the full package.

Are there enough of those in a position to make these decisions on these amateur players and give them a chance? I don't think so.

At the end of the day, if these players went on to university or post-secondary and established themselves to be good wage earners beyond what CAPS would pay, so be it. If they can still play the game at the amateur level and be recognized for what they are and play for the passion of the game, even better.

I'll keep this on topic. Nigel Marples is a BCSPL coach and plays for our SU men's team. He takes care of his health and his body. He mentors the young players on our team. He walks the talk. He is polite and respectful. An amateur who is really a pro. He can get paid by any team but he chooses not to. Character. On the male side of the game, I would point to any highly functioning amateur player to look at him as a role model. Heck, female game too.

Man crushes on Marples and Costley.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did someone say Maples?

Nevermind Dude, pretty sure we'd all hit it... Marla is 50 :eek:

marla-maples-1.jpg

Aside from that, nice to have you posting again BB!

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I coach girls now. My better judgement says I can't comment on Ms. Marples in the manner I am accustomed, say -> TTP 2000 -2009. Dude, could you help out?

Gunners10

Feb 16, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know everyone on TTP likes to make jokes about all the paid VMSL players, but I still consider anyone not signed by a professional team an amateur player. Just to be more clear I was asking everyones opinion on who currently playing in British Columbia that is not under a professional football contract outside the Whitecaps is the best player. its an interesting discussion to see who slipped through the cracks and maybe could have made a decent living playing under some different circumstances.

Gunners10

Feb 16, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
But by amateur you mean may still have a chance right!?
well I would hope the best player in all of British Columbia would still have a chance at playing professional but if hes like 25-35 that might not be realistic so not necessarily still with a chance no.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0