Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCSPL- Pros/Cons/Other Sports

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We've taken the exact opposite approach to specialization w/ our kids. They do a lot of different sports, and are pretty well rounded. Mini Dude has become my best ski partner, and in fact is thretening to dump me for someone with bigger balls and more legs for big days. He's becomming my best riding partner, but thankfully I have a few more years on him there. He has never played higher than house hockey, never even tried out for a rep team. He could make one I'm sure w/ a bit of work through the summer, but that'd take away from everything else we do. My daughter and I surf together. They aren't the very best at anything they do, but we have fun, and we spend a lot of time together doing these things. I figure that long term, this will be what is best for our familly unit...but to each there own.

I think the issue would be much clearer cut if the BCSPL costs to players were mostly subsidized, as they should be for elite athlete development. As is it now, parents pay a massive fee, and the trickle down is that there may not be the very best of the best involved, and the parents / kids will feel a sense of entitlement. Hell, I would. If I'm paying that kind of money just so my kid could be involved in the BCSPL, hell yes I'd be less likely to follow the guidelines. I pay how much, and you're telling me my kid can't play HS soccer? Well piss off...what are you going to do about it? Bench my kid? What if my kid is a top player, coach? The system demands you play him, so play him. What leverage do coaches have in this case? None.

Although I agree w/ the concept of specialization at the elite level, until the player’s costs are subsidized and the players are held to a higher level of accountability on the field, in school, and in the community, this is a moot discussion.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Allow me to add/clarify, playing high school sports is good for kids, playing many different sports is good for kids. Comprising one to play the other however is not - especially when one is a far lower level of play than the other and costs significantly less than the other. #Priorities.

krutov

Dec 14, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the question that needs to ba asked is "Who/what is an elite athlete?" I would agree that the elite should(at a certain age) pick the sport that they are elite in. I question that the kids in the BCPL are elite, some may very well be but I dare say that the majority are not. The arguement is how do you become elite, is it by being well rounded and trained in different sports or is it focusinng on one sport.

IMO kids/parents nowadays figure that if their kid plays at the top level of their sport that qualifies as elite which is relativily correct but not in the bigger picture. I say let the kids be kids inn soccer and not get politics involved because parents always know what is best.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Parents always know best."

This is simply one of the most absurd statements I've ever read on this web site. Maybe if you had said "Let kids and parents decide their own futures..." maybe....but proving just how wrong that statement would take up this entire forum. Not to suggest coaches know what's best either necessarily, nor clubs.

However, the rest of your post is great.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the question that needs to ba asked is "Who/what is an elite athlete?" I would agree that the elite should(at a certain age) pick the sport that they are elite in. I question that the kids in the BCPL are elite, some may very well be but I dare say that the majority are not. The arguement is how do you become elite, is it by being well rounded and trained in different sports or is it focusinng on one sport.

IMO kids/parents nowadays figure that if their kid plays at the top level of their sport that qualifies as elite which is relativily correct but not in the bigger picture. I say let the kids be kids inn soccer and not get politics involved because parents always know what is best.

While I think I get what you're saying to a degree, perhaps asking some of these kids to make a definitive choice and narrow their activities to just one sport, albeit one that they are or consider themselves to be "elite" in may not be ideal in a perfect world where we'd love to do it all.

Let me pose this; does the kid who is in the top <5% of local talent in soccer best develop their soccer skills and talents by playing silver soccer and complimenting that with baseball, basketball and volleyball?

Of course not. In order for that kid to reach their full potential as a soccer player they need to specialize and focus to a certain degree.
Does that mean they shouldn't or can't take part in all kinds of other activities? No, they should still be well rounded and take in all the fun and benefits that these activities offer of course.

Regarding whether or not the kid is truly "elite", this of course is a relative term. Are they all Messis in the making? Of course not, but we certainly can't take the defeatest attitude that "gee, when you really think about it my kid is really only elite in the local or provincial scene and really isn't elite in "the big picture" ( which is what exactly? Nationally? North America? Globally? ) therefore...forget it, we'll just play house and ball and basketball and volleyball etc....as it's not worth trying to really excel in soccer anyway".

We all want our kid or player to be the best they can possibly be whether that's Metro, BCSPL, further than this? maybe...?

On that note, I come back to; "Does the kid who is in the top <5% of local talent in soccer best develop their soccer skills and talents by playing silver soccer and complimenting that with baseball, basketball and volleyball?

krutov

Dec 14, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Parents always know best."

This is simply one of the most absurd statements I've ever read on this web site. Maybe if you had said "Let kids and parents decide their own futures..." maybe....but proving just how wrong that statement would take up this entire forum. Not to suggest coaches know what's best either necessarily, nor clubs.

However, the rest of your post is great.
Ok I agree with you after re-reading my post. No one really knows what is best and everyone has to make their own decisions. What age should these decisions be made though, does a 13 year old athlete really
know what is best for them?

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok I agree with you after re-reading my post. No one really knows what is best and everyone has to make their own decisions. What age should these decisions be made though, does a 13 year old athlete really
know what is best for them?

Hey I'm with you, my kid plays two sports and we are now really going to be faced with a tough schedule ( almost unmanageable ) this next season which will very likely lead to a choice between the two.

My child is not yet 13.

I don't want to say that it's "unfortunate" because she / he is excelling in these two sports which is what's largely going to be forcing our hand but it's "too bad" as we'd love to continue to do both at the same level.

Have they perfected that cloning thing yet!?!

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
@krutov - nope, 13 year olds don't know what's best either!

@sd - I can only suggest that rather than having a crazy two-sport sched you maybe wanted to pick one sport and leave the other time for friends/homework/rest, or "fun @ home" training in the sport the kid chose? Glad you are considering it not continuing in the future.

M

Mal

Hey I'm with you, my kid plays two sports and we are now really going to be faced with a tough schedule ( almost unmanageable ) this next season which will very likely lead to a choice between the two.

My child is not yet 13.

I don't want to say that it's "unfortunate" because she / he is excelling in these two sports which is what's largely going to be forcing our hand but it's "too bad" as we'd love to continue to do both at the same level.

Have they perfected that cloning thing yet!?!

The boys especially at u13 are too young to concentrate just on one sport especially if they are talented in other sports .

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, how about the parents get some balls and figure out how to balance things? Let me ask you this......how much are the players being paid to be OWNED?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kids/teens need rest each week. They need extended rest every few months. They should participate in a variety of activities - but not concurrently.

Rest, rest, rest, rest.

Article in short: 1 - 1 or 2 days of full rest per week, 2 - Take 2-3 months break from a specific sport per year (as a child/youth, in BCPL terms this would be the Nov-Jan break), 3 - Only play on ONE team/sport at a time, 4 - Non-specific muscle, joint, school problems are signs of burnout (but not limited to and of course, there are always exceptions), 5 - Special caution for parents with young kids playing weekend tournaments.

I particularly support #5 and am now reviewing how my own teams approach these tournaments (ie, each player will have one round robin rest-game, and one round-robin reduced playing time game - knockout stages will be "merit-based" playing time - assuming I have enough players available and if I don't have enough wouldn't want to enter anyway - though injuries and other things due arise unplanned).

An article in support of CS's demand that parents allow "balance"...

Overuse Injuries, Overtraining, and Burnout in Child and Adolescent Athletes

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do appreciate the sentiment but somewhat simple and maybe a bit naive when your kid is playing BCSPL and 'A" ball.

practically impossible to juggle both. Both run damn near 12 months now.

Any ideas?

Idea?

Tell your kid to pick one. Or pick one for them if your child is "young" (flexible term).

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Idea?

Tell your kid to pick one. Or pick one for them if your child is "young" (flexible term).

"pick one" ingenious....I hadn't thought of it.

My question asking for ideas was a rhetorical one.

The thread was off and on discussing the juggling of multiple sports and activities and the merits and difficulties in doing so.

If the thread was looking simply for a solution, I could have come up with "pick one" myself.

I'm not really looking for an answer and if I was, picking one isn't really a solution, it's just a choice.

Anyway, it's all really just conversation....and an opportunity for me to whine. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0