Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCPSL Cup

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well now that we all know that the VMSL does not want to have anything to do with the BCPSL. I figuar its time to start a new thread to give all you still moveing forward a place to discuss what you may want to see happen.
Right now the FVSL and the VISL are moveing forward and are discussing just this.
What would be the best for both leagues moveing forward. Bettering ourselves and haveing FUN being a priority as we make this move forward.
Right now there are several ideas on the table.
From the FVSL point of view and things discussed...
Dropping the League Cup and replaceing it with a BCPSL Cup.
Because all the teams in the FVSL Premier will be affected by dropping the league Cup, an Idea was put forth to include all 20 Premier teams.
10 FVSL and 10 VISL.
4 -5 team groups playing (4 games)1 game vs each other, with the top team from each group advanceing to the knockout semi finals and final.
Evenly mixed so each team would be able to play a few (equal) games vs an opponent from the other league.
And still guaranteeing the same number (4) of games every team gets now dureing the (proposed dropping) league Cup.
Fair and Fun.
The big question...Travel ?
Because of the odd number of teams... 16 teams would make the ferry ride one time, while 4 teams would have to make the trip twice.
Talks of shareing a bus were touched on lightly (to keep costs down, 2 teams share the bus and play back to back) and talks of a very small entry fee per team also was mentioned.Very brief words were talked towards the entry fees helping the 4 teams who must make the trip twice. Prize money,Trophies,Discipline,Players Permits and Provincial Berths for the winners was not talked about.
Because the FVSL plays so many week night games already. Moveing a few weekend league games to week nights to allow for the few weekend games needed was discussed aswell.

Keep in mind that this discission was just that. A discussion. A time for bounceing Ideas and seeing where everyones heads were at.

The other Idea talked about was a Champions league of sorts.
Same Ideas as above with less teams.

Again this was just a meeting to discuss Ideas. NOTHING is in stone other than the fact that the FVSL and the VISL are moveing forward and are planning right now ideas, to bring to the table for all of us to look at.
What works best and what will be acceptable for each club.
What will better ourselves and what will be the most FUN.

I for one would like to see all 20 teams involved.
It would make a great Cup style tournament.
At minimal cost and travel.
And everyone would still get the guaranteed 4 games we get now from the League Cup. An equal chance to play teams we never get to play. And at least 1 road game where we all could make a day of it.
We also will all get to host at least 1 team from the VISL, I think it would be fun to be a good host. I know when we go there we are always treated very well. Gorge has a group of ladys who do up Sandwiches and they always have cold bevys for sale. We have been treated to a BBQ by the Island before aswell..I for one would like to return the favor and try to out do them as a host.
I also would like to see the majority of the road games take place early in the season,even opening weekend.
We then will have better weather and that is very important when makeing a day trip to the Island or hosting them here.
Maybe even hosting our games together here aswell shareing costs and again makeing a great fun day out of it.
Useing a venue that has better facilities more equipt for this type of day.

Just my thoughts

I personally cant wait for something like this to get started next season.
Its going to be a blast.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why wouldn't you just do this with VMSL, and not have to worry about giving up full days/weekends and travel? Maybe I am small minded, but it seems it would be much easier to develop a champions league in the lower mainland, and once successful, include the island in a few years.

Trying to further development in BC Soccer with an anti-VMSL attitude wont accomplish anything. Regardless of your perception of how they handled the BCPL development, they hold the cards right now.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huh? The VMSL don't hold anything. This is a proposed new cup between two leagues looking for something more to play for. If the VMSL want to play with the other kids in the sand box they need to be big boys and ask to share the toys.

Neither the FVSL or VISL owe the VMSL anything nor do they need to crawl hat in hand asking for their blessing or teams to promote themselves.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL...they have alienated themselves.
Actually, at our meeting we all agreed to keep the door open to the VMSL as we feel they made a huge mistake. We also all agreed that they were not informed properly and WA handled this project about as bad as anyone could have. We feel that once they see us moveing forward,things running smoothly,haveing fun, and once a new person takes over for WA, that things will change. As soccer grows and new people get involved attitudes will change.

Its just a matter of time.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only problem I see is that potentially VISL teams might have to travel to the Mainland for midweek games?

That would never fly, especially if there was some sentiment, right or otherwise, that was their players loathe to give up an entire day to travel here for weekend games because you lose a whole day with your family instead of just a few hours at the most...

Therefore If you move (for instance) Week #2 FVSL Prem games to the weeknight to have the VISL teams over on the weekend you now come into the issue of other teams and division that impacts (I know in Langley for instance we train with them and the D1 Dynamo) which means no training for us (Nomads and Dynamo, in a hypothetical scenario) on a regular basis...

I don't see how this particular thing works... I see why teams/people want change, but now I see this as unnecessary... I see this as people being bored with status quo.

There has to be a way to figure out a FVSL, VMSL, VISL Champions League format, if it has been decided that a regular league is not palatable to all concerned parties.

Selfishly, I would really like to see the FVSL pull off the grand slam. Right now it has to be the most organized well run league with only one big issue, a totally watered down first division that needs to be shrunk down to size.

Shelf this need to play inter league competitions for one year until a plan can be worked out to EVERYONES benefit.

It's not like the clock is ticking and soccer is about to be outlawed for good in this country.

This is a fun thing, this will in no way increase exposure to the game, or attract better players to either league, or increase anyones chances at Nationals should they be lucky enough to qualify by winning BC's.

My humble and unsolicited $0.02 worth.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
No travel for Midweek games..Only local as we do now. we all would only have to move 2 weekend league games to midweek to accommodate this idea.
We play all our league Cup midweek and have no problems.
JBN remember. All Premier teams play 4 midweek games now for league cup.
In this idea we are replaceing the league cup with the BCPSL Cup.
No changes reguarding scheduleing at all will take place. All that differs for each team is who your opponant will be on those same days.
And the one trip to the Island ea. on a weekend away game day.

Really nothing needs to be worked out that you cant figuar out in 1 meeting.
Its so simple.
We do it all now...really no big changes other than 1 trip to the island ea.
Which we do at provincials with a weeks notice.

Also..even though I did not see the letter passed around by the VMSL,I was told on it was said" please sign this Blah blah if you now and in the future in any shape or form do not want to take part in the BCPSL"
They all signed ,so they dont want to take part in any shape or form. Which to our league means they do not want to take part in any shape or form. A Champions BCPSL is still a shape or form of what we are trying to do.
JBN...face it, I have..The VMSL does not want to be involved with us...I dont care what excuse they will use. They feel they are holding the cards and are so much better than us...Thats what it boils down to..Are we all so blind that we actually believe them when they say they were just pushed into it or they were misinformed...Bullshti..the numbers were out for them to call..and even if they felt they were pushed in...Who were they pushed in from...from thier own elected official who represents them. By the way the President of the BCPSL is/was WA...go figuar...thats changeing as we speak.
They were pushed by thier own elected official who is supposed to be acting for them.
Did WA screw up..YES did all the Premier VMSL elect him to act on their behalf..YES.
Was there a VMSL league vote YES...Mutiny YES.
It sneeks out in every discussion with the VMSL/teams/managers/players/TTP and even the Officials from the VMSL...what it really boils down to is they feel they are better and dont want to LOWER themselves to our level. The have the best league and the best players and the best teams....
Why would we play with you all????? you suck and were the best.
JBN its over..we have moved on. We all have voted to move forward without the VMSL as they asked. In any shape or form.
We are now createing something for us...something FUN.

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's an awesome idea. BCPSL Cup.

I think the Pakenheim Cup should just be played with the Div.1 teams and/or the teams that gets knocked out early in the BCPSL Cup. A la Champions League slash UEFA Cup. It will give Div.1 teams something to play for in the season.

I think teams can just carpool to get to the island or maybe each league can buy a bus just used for travel purposes of teams from their league. I.e. FVSL Bus and the VISL Bus. I'm sure costs of travel and revenue generation can be sorted out, maybe have a percentage of the concession maybe goes to a travel fund split between the two leagues, or something along those lines.

I personally would love to go to the Island see the sights once in a while, would be a change. Maybe get some Div.2 teams going there for cup too.

The FVSL and VISL should definitely continue and try to push progress forward.
I think it will just be a waste of time and effort if nothing is to come of all of this. Everyone should use and build on the progress that has been made. Just take whose interested and just build on that.

As for the inclusion or exclusion of the VMSL, it's pointless mentioning cause of what has just transpired. Same thing could happen all over again. I would allow them to clean up your own backyard, to a point where Mr.Azzi and their Premier clubs speak with one voice and when they ready to join, i'm sure the powers that be will listen. Until then i wouldn't even mention the VMSL teams.

Besides if Gorges or ACBC win the Provincials and/or Nationals this year, that may provide some incentive for the VMSL to join, because then the VMSL teams would then be going up against the best in BC and/or Canada, which they won't find in their league if they stay there. So here's hoping ACBC or Gorges win it all this year.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
In other breaking news, the Arena Football League and the old USFL have released an "official statement" regarding their plans to create a inter-locking schedule next season. The NFL will not be invited because they have alienated themselves.

Captain, those clips are....classic.

Cheers

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why can't we make a geographical league? Each team must be able to host at a stadium like venue. You could have a team play out of MAP (langley) Percy Perry(coquitlam) Exhibition Park(chilliwack) Victoria(wherever)Bear Creek(surrey) yadayadayada!
League games could be free but cup games be $2 to start or whatever. A little bit of vision and money is needed to take this to the next level.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0