Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 Group Stage

Will Canada Get out of their group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great game fun to watch.

When Davies stepped up to take the pk I said to myself has to be David or Hoilett. Davies is a great player but never has impressed on set pieces etc. David for me was the natural choice.

Having said even if we score Belgium may have come out of there shell and woken up.

Either what a performance! Looking forward to Sunday.
Ya f*ck the symbolism and history about scoring the first ever goal in Canada World Cup history.

That HAS to be David.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
That was a crazy game. We out chanced them by a distance. I'm proud of the guys. With that effort and a bit more on finishing, the other two teams have something to be worried about.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Canada had two moments to take back and do over it have be:
1. PK where the ref was fussing all over the players inside the box and Davies standing over the ball for the entire time.
Jeannine Becker was right, he shouldn't have done it. I thought before the shot his body seemed leaning to where he hit the shot.
Becker says Herdman lets players decide on kicks. I'm with those who say it's an off-field decision unless the player on the pitch decides he's not up for it.
2. the noticeable letdown just before the goal where it looked like they were waiting out the half.

Tactically, they did it the right way and unlike the Aussies in their game, proved it wasn't just to start the game.

Around the box, they should have been better as there were goals to be had.

Other than that it was a good game to watch and Canadians in the stands got their money's worth.
Herdman does a good job of building player confidence and it showed up for all of the 90 minutes.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Personally I feel less encouraged then some. That was a great performance, one that deserved a result. You have to finish your chances at this level. We can’t expect to do that to Croatia and Morocco. . Great performance but disappointing. The Davies call is a bit amateur for my liking. Face of Canada, hero nonsense. Herdman loves a story. That should be laid out before the match and go to our best PK taker. I highly doubt it’s Davies. Could of missed anyway but the details separates winning and losing.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
All of us who thought we'd have to play the counter were dead wrong!... including myself. We bossed it hard for large portions. I couldn't believe it! We played well indeed.

I agree David should have taken the pk. He takes them for his team and he's in fine form this year. It would also be in our best interest for our main striker to have gotten some confidence and momentum too.

VAR botched the pass back and called Tajon offside. Should have been another pk!

Oh man Tajon skied one over from close range after a whipped in cross from Johnston. So much pace on the ball, just get your studs over top and tap it in! Easy to say from the couch tho. Lol

Croatia won't be so easy so let's not take them for granted. They are much younger than the aging Belgians.

Let's go BOYS!

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is sour and winds me up.

ok, have some equity. you lot can't handle u15 boys' teams, and the only time you really pack in the fans is when you're playing the US. overall, soccer fans couldn't care less about the womens' game. that's why you don't get the social media love.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think my Belgians did more to disrupt some of those Canadian finishes than they're getting credit for... they may be old but guile and instinct counts for something in a tournament like this.

that said, Canada did have some shocking misses and they outplayed Belgium by a considerable margin. Lukaku looking sick in the stands said it all. But, on the other hand, Belgium finished and Canada didn't. Overall a draw would have been a fair result, for me.

I'm not at all surprised Canada were able to push the play firing at all cylinders and Belgium ailing in a number of key ways. Their pace is a real problem for anyone with an aging and / or slow backline. What surprised me was the ball management of the Belgians - and maybe the pace of the pressure had something to do with that, but their first touch and passing decisions were at times pathetic. At least Martinez seems to be well aware of the need for them to be a lot better.

Re Davies - there's no chance he's 100%. Im guessing he's 60% but has the team convinced he's 80%. Can you imagine if he'd pulled up lame after that peno a la Jozy Altidore a few years ago for TFC? Good Lord what a shocking decision to have him take it - but it does yield a new nickname...

BOBADAVIES!!!

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luke Wileman said that after the Canada performance that soccer people were surprised and felt that they were fun to watch.

They were fun to watch and will be vs Croatia as long as they don't sit back. Even Herdman today said something like coaches often make decisions after the last game that result in defensive postures (not his words) and we best hope that they will and can play Croatia by pressure on the ball in their end and all over the park.

In the scrambles in the Belgian box they lacked that player / sniffer who just knows where to go to get on that short stuff. And of course they haven't played all together like club sides.

On the PKs Canada were screwed on not getting at least one other PK called, if not two!

I hope they fix who takes these in practice as Davies did everything wrong on that kick by standing over the ball for what TSN shows as 65 seconds. It was like a time out when the opposing team is about to kick an easy FG to win the game. Here it ended as a gimme for the GK as a result.

I believe you decide who takes these based on game performance for their club sides and practice performance in this tourney.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Reccos

I think there is a big decision to be made here for the match vs the Croats... stick with the same starting 11 or adjust and get Larin in there from the get-go (I really can't believe I just typed that).

That would probably mean Junior gets dropped.

Thoughts?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You gotta give Herdman credit for being honest here with "eff Croatia".
I doubt Croatia needs bulletin board material but a bit surprised that TSN is asking players about that. Most might not have repeated those words to the media said to the players but he's right on the player's mindset - respect Croatia but go out to play to win.

Nowadays so many negative spins in headlines that could be crafted more positively.

'Eff Croatia': Herdman's words could turn motivation for Canada's next opponent​

'No disrespect to the Croatian team... but at the end of the day it's a mindset that Canada's going to have'​

John Cleese took exception to this Canadian headline.

1.6662942Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 3.01.00 PM.png

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0