Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Klose would be perfect as a hold up target man. But now our wings are not so dynamic with bolanos and sometimes morales out wide. So it would be a very slow front 3. You need to have some pace on the wing. Some legs. Bolanos and morales provide the opposite. Both 10 spot guys if you ask me. Or balance bolanos with someone with pace on the other side at least.
I just don't see the mix being right at the moment. Morales needs to go for a two way midfielder.

Let laba hold and do what he does. A two way guy that joins the attack and has the legs to get up the field, and Mezquida/bolanos in that 10 spot. That's our best bet at the moment.
We just don't have the threat out wide for wingers to take wingbacks or push it past them for good crosses at the moment. We try to play too pretty and "smart", the mix isn't there.
Only room for morales or bolanos on the pitch. Not both.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Caps partner with Alberta Soccer.
Lowther looks thrilled.
:)
View attachment 15473
This must have the folks at BC Soccer, the HPL league and at TSS scratching their heads. Is this an indication the Caps feel that BC youth clubs, the HPL and BC soccer schools are not producing quality players? The joint Whitecaps ASA press release refers to the Alberta products on the Caps roster and on its residency teams and it implies that a greater Caps presence in Alberta will bear more fruit.
But if you question the ability of the Caps management due to the failure to develop players after having residency teams for many years and the failure of the senior team in the MLS, then you may think the ASA Caps partnership is mostly a PR stunt.
As an outsider, its hard to say what's really happening because the press release is short on details, such as the amount of money the Caps will spend on its Alberta centre. We can only hope that the Caps will get it right one day, playing homegrown players on the MLS team and winning.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As stated somewhat recently, if the Caps' academy and residency programs aren't developing the players they need to move into spots on the first team they have only themselves to blame. HPL should be a way to aggregate talent for identification more easily to feed into this cluster, but again, if they aren't doing the necessary job of identification, development, and finishing when they get the raw material, that's nobody's fault except their own.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Throwing this out there:

Caps saw the successful run of Foothills PDL team, knows the potential of a Canadian Professional League having a franchise whenever it launches so quickly splashed some cash/incentives towards the ASA to make it more difficult for Foothills to produce top talent and keep them 'at home'.

Discuss.

:)

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure why it is but the Caps sure play some of their best games during season ticket renewals:rolleyes:. Friday night sure had me and a bunch of the guys around us questioning what we are putting our money towards.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure why it is but the Caps sure play some of their best games during season ticket renewals:rolleyes:. Friday night sure had me and a bunch of the guys around us questioning what we are putting our money towards.
We didn't renew for next season. With little cascade or cascadette on the way and the possibility of a new job, plus the on field product, we decided it wasn't worth the value.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did renew before the game with some regret after the game. If it is the same next year it might be my last.
This year is a right off something is seriously wrong with the mix of players and what is even more depressing is watching a couple of Canadian players show why we suck internationally. Even the No 5 after the game didn't fully cheer me up.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Come come now - Let's not get ridiculous here STD.

Only once, when I lost my wallet, have I EVER not had a grin on my face, amongst other things, at the No. 5.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Caps just don't have the mix of players. Since being paid morales is a ghost of his formal self. Did you see him do anything at pace? Play a nice ball and Sprint up field to join the attach while laba sat and held?

We have zero wing threat. No pace. Nothing. Bolanos is never going to beat a guy 1v1 on the line. Morales slows it down. Etc etc

Kudo is not a central striker by himself. He can not hold up a ball or win the battles against 6foot CB's.

Parker is not a right back. He doesn't have the handles and vision pushing forward. He is a CB. Body type and all.

De Jong is not as good as Harvey back there. He is a great work horse but again, no class on the ball and threat as an overlapping wing back.

Tchechera is so small he gets pushed off the ball so easy, at the same time he isn't faster then many wingbacks. I don't remember the last time he took a wingback on and created some real danger or chances. I'm so over him.

If Laba is holding, and has a 3/10 vision going forward, his partner needs to have the legs to be a box to box guy. So when we have the ball and get out of the transition phase, "Koffie" can get up the park and be of danger and be able to track back to help defend. A connection piece is needed. They are forcing Morales there, but after a nice ball, he watches it, then trots up the field like he isn't playing for a contract. Hmmmm

Mezquida is the only guys playing with a pep in his step and seems to be really trying and wanting it.

It sucks to say that since manneh has been injured as have lost our way. No speedy threat that keeps the back line honest and has them backing their line up when we wind up to play that side.

There is no room for morales and bolanos on the field at the same time. I just don't see the mix. Two trotters is one too many unless we are holding most of the possession.

Boy wonder needs to start to give us a pacey threat on one side.
Perez needs to start so we have a MAN that can hold up a ball and throw his weight around.

We miss Aird so much as a RB.

With the CB's we have perhaps the 3-5-2 that we finished the game with is a better look?
Perhaps he throws this at the wall? Why not at this point?

1. Hurtado / Perez
De Jong Mezquida. Aird
Morales. Laba
Watson Edgar. Parker.

Kudo off the bench up top or starts over Hurtado.
Boy wonder a sub for de Jong as Harvey is hurt. I just don't trust him to defend for long periods essentially as a wing back when we don't have the ball. Love him going forward though. 15!
Davidson can be a good piece instead of morales if he is trotting around and not caring.
Bolanos a good sub for Mezquida late when guys are tired and extra little time can be had on the ball.

I just don't see the 4-2-3-1 working at the moment with our mix we have.
Since Riv has left we don't have someone doing the little things he did to get us up the park and create space for the others. (Not that he scored, but he did tons right)

The bit target man is hard to come by these days. But so vital. Look at Germany and how they looked Gomez vs Gotze.
If you play a one striker system up top central, that person needs to have the skill back to net. And at all levels it's the hardest guy to find. But if you have one, it makes all else work well. It's the release valve at times. And we have zero right now.

It's crazy to say but I feel Hurtado has shown the best work rate and hold up skills etc. And can still beat guys to balls played over the top to the corners to get us in the final third. Hurtado! Wtf!

Some lazy Hispanics need to be moved and we need some key pieces. Hard to find, but right now the balance isn't there

Go caps.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Come come now - Let's not get ridiculous here STD.

Only once, when I lost my wallet, have I EVER not had a grin on my face, amongst other things, at the No. 5.

:D I though most Scotsman kept their wallet sewn to the inside of their skirt.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's called a kilt mate. ;)

And if she wants that cash, she's gotta work for it. :D

Good points Lion.
Actually, I think we're fcuked and done for the year.
Hope I'm wrong and a loyal fan talking here.
Going to need some very strong character(s) and that killer will to battle in the home stretch, and I don't think we've got the nuts frankly.

Shame.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/vanc...or-league-soccer-carl-robinson-kekuta-manneh/

Article is bang on IMHO...

Koffie had warts on his game, and let's just say his focus wasn't always on-field... BUT... he was the link they no longer have... I hate that stupid 4-2-3-1 system with a passion - despite the team I helped coach using it en route to a BCSPL title - but the reason it worked for the kids is that the box to box guy was our best player (the Caps apparently agree; they finally took him and two others off of our hands once the season was done)... Who is it for the Caps? they don't have that player on the roster, never mind a quality option...

This team looks like they've never played with each other before... there is absolutely zero cohesion or fluidity to the attack; I see ball in feet turn into ball into touch more times each game than I would have thought possible. And Morales is either playing injured (again) or stealing his money, I'm not sure which. For God's sake, stick with two strikers and give your attacking options something of a chance...

I think they were tricked last year by Ousted standing on his head and saving a lot of points with a lot of ridiculous stops.... not only has that not happened this year, I think he's had a off year, as much as I hate blaming a goalie for a fire drill in front of him... You look at the teams that have won MLS recently, be it Ridgewell in Portland or Gonzalez in Los Angeles... they're spending DP money on a stud at the back... no one on the Caps back end is remotely worth DP money, and so you have a leaky faucet at one end and an impotent attack at the other... Lovely.

Skill is wonderful and necessary and all of that, but so is grit. Kansas City outclassed Vancouver in their willingness to get stuck in time and time again on Saturday night. It's time to punt on this season and use the rest of it to sort out who wants to be here and who they really ought to want to keep around...

As for the youth side, I remain hopeful that they'll eventually start to produce players for WFC through the residency and WF2; I think we will start to see little signs of that very soon. That said, I'm well aware having worked in the youth side of things a level down where a lot of their residency players came from. To the extent that they can point to kids are on an upward trajectory - Carducci, Bustos, Froese, Davies, and if you want to stretch it Adukebe and you know who... not one of them is actually homegrown in the sense of being plucked from a club side in Vancouver... And how long have they been telling us "give us your best because we'll train them better" for?

Your litmus test will be how the next wave match up against a player like Ben McKendry. Ben was a great player as a youth with Vancouver Selects, and memory serves was part of one of the first batches of kids the WFC Residency extracted... He would seem to be stalled at WFC2, for the time being. Whether the next wave stalls in a similar way, or moves beyond that, will for me anyway be telling as to whether or not they're finally making any real progress...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Short answer, yep.

I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I was wrong about Koffie's impact in the team. I thought he was more replaceable, and I was hoping for- at the end of the day- a 2-up formation. Thus, I saw Koffie as odd man out.

But, in the end, Robo never really gave the 2 striker formation an honest go. I may have also underestimated the impact Manneh has on a game; I often stated he was a nuclear threat, but nothing more. If he's getting teams on their heals, and creating extra space just with his presence, then, well, maybe there is value in that.

They moved out Rivero, which I think was a mistake. Losing him is a massive downgrade, Perez hasn't been able to replace him, nor Kudo. Losing Manneh has hurt...and in the end, obviously losing Koffie and not having him to boss the middle has hurt.

Captain Obvious statement, but I don't see Robo lasting past the end of the year. But if they fire him, please, fire the whole effing FO. Complete housecleaning in order, the Duze and everyone else has to go.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think they need an FO shake up. However I never see Bobby or the "fab 5" leaving.
Grass field - Real pro's want grass, put in the grass pitch and open yourself to more high caliber of players. Also make more money by having other clubs DP actually show up to play here, sell more tickets.
Real DP's - Sign real DP's, guys with REAL experience, who are proven journeymen who can do the job.
SPEND!!! - The club can't keep buying on craigslist and the clearance section for players. It hasn't worked yet and it's not going to work in the future, stop being so damn cheap. You get what you pay for.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So why not? I mean, why no shake-up?

These owners aren't idiots to pro sports. They know the formula, and they have the dough.

Do it now, blow up the season, and get a head start on next year.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just don't see it happening, and I would love to see it. I feel the owners are too fond of Bobby. He's the most or one of the most successful Canadian male soccer players, "If he can't do it who can" that's how I feel the owners look at it. They're also a cheap club, and won't spend the money on the brass they need. I hope the Caps can change their ways and become a successful organization, but I don't see us ever becoming the LA Galaxy type of club. If we continue this way, the LAFC the MIAMI FC, clubs who are willing to spend and find top talent will continue to be leaps and bounds above us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0