Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 BC Mens Provincial Masters Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kinda hard with this draw to have all VMSL teams going through :)

The North Delta / Saanich match could go either way.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Because I'm to busy to bother, can anyone post game times and locations here?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK Masters Predictions...slightly more informed than my B Cup predictions, but still mostly baseless. I am, however, expecting much larger blow back on all the errors I make from the historically most active members of TTP (who knows maybe even @The edge will have something to add...)

ROUND OF 16 PREDICTIONS

Port Moody v Howe Sound
Port Moody are the FVSL Champions and are looking to make a splash on the Provincial level. They've got some speedsters (aka youth I assume?) up front and they will give most backlines a headache. Howe Sound finished second in the "North Shore Coaches League" but still had a negative goal difference. So ya, I think Port Moddy will be just fine...

Westside v Croatia
One of four first round divisional grudge matches. All will be good, but I am putting the Match of the Round tag on this one given the fact that it is a rematch of last year's Provincial Final, won by Westside en route to their second Western National title. The Westsiders finished one place ahead of Croatia in the table, but the season series was even at 1-1-1, albeit with Croatia's win coming in a meaningless end of season make up game. Westide is annoying because they could just as easily win the whole damn tournament as go out in the first round. Obviously they have that championship pedigree with guys who know how to get it done when it matters most (aka this time of year), and they also seem to just get knock-out football having beaten Croatia in the first round of cup play. It still shapes up as a pick 'em in my mind, but I'll give the Westside old boys the edge.

UVic Alum v Gorge
Grudge match number two takes place on the island. UVic Alum and Gorge both have history and pedigree on their sides, so with that canceling each other out we turn to the league table. UVic were comfortable champions while Gorge finished third, a couple games off the pace. The University boys were 3-0 winners on the opening day of the season, but the return leg was a 0-0 draw. Again a match that on it's day you feel could go either way, but I think you've got to follow the form table and give the former students the nod.

West Van v Columbus
The league on league violence continues here as cup champions Columbus take on league runners up West Van. On the results this season the North Shore lads had the better of it, going 2-1-0, but their last meeting was a hotly contested 4-3. West Van really had a season of what-ifs, as back to back losses to Westside saw them essentially lose the title and then eliminated from the cup. They were then handled by PCOV in the League Championship playoff. Could be that Westside just has their number and then they had a bad day vs. PCOV a month after the season ended, but it could also be that they just don't have that extra gear this season. Alternatively, Columbus has already ground out one knock-out cup this season, so I'll play a hunch here and call the upset for the Italians.

North Delta v Saanich Fusion
Perenial "also-rans" North Delta will finally be looking for some satisfaction after finishing runners up in both the league and the cup this season. Saanich picked up some hardware this year in the form of the VISL masters cup. Should be a good game (as they all should when you are one of the best 16 in the Province), but as usual Saanich will have to face the regular travel headaches coming from the island. I'll look for that to tip the scales just enough and send the ND vets to the quarters.

PCOV v Metro Ford
Our final all league match up is a cracker between the VMSL champs and third place finishers. Coquitlam was just 1 point off the pace, but were beaten two out of three by PCOV, managing only a 0-0 in the other match up. PCOV were full value in their first place playoff, showing, if nothing else, that they are at least staying sharp ahead of Provincials. What's to pick here? An entire league campaign separted by 1 point would indicate to me that this could go either way. I'll follow the season series and pick the recently in form side by a nose.

Saltspring Utd. v Coastal
Honestly this game intrigues me, I would seriously consider taking it in if it wasn't a 3 hour trek both ways. Saltspring is here by virtue of their cup finals appearence, while their league performance was average at best. Coastal too is here by virtue of their Cup win, though arguably their fourth place finish would have earned them a spot so long as it had not been a lower standing team in the cup final. Everything I see makes me think JC, Jacko and the boys are likely the better team, but honestly there is just something about a small town team in the middle of no where at home in Provincials. Like a Sunshine Coast team, or one from up island, sometimes something about all the travel and home field can defeat even the best teams; maybe it's just in the air. I'm torn between either a comfortable Coastal win or a gritty (possibly PKs?) win for Saltspring. Damn it I love an upset, it just makes things more interesting, give it to the Gulf Islanders.

Roma v Delta
So admittadly I know nothing about the North Shore Coaches League. I also have not seen Delta play. So do I think running away with the NSCL is better than third place in the FVSL? Honestly, probably not. At the same time do I think either of these teams are going farther than this game? Honestly, probably not. So then, does it really matter who I pick to win? Well if you've been following along...Honestly, probably not. Screw it, let's see if the Roma boys can put the NSCL on the map.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great job C4E!

Port Moody (Rangers name - Enough said)
Croatia/Westside (Toss up tie and think it will go to OT. Croatia to advance?)
UVIC (Gary Bryan still there? If so, maybe lean towards Gorge) :p
West Van (This will be a cracker I'm sure. Two top teams 'duking it out') :D
North Delta (See Moody above) :)
CMF (A hunch)
Coastal (Rounding into good form)
Delta (FVSL bias)

Cheers,
RF

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
My predictions (sort of):

Port Moody vs Howe Sound

Defeating an FVSL champion at home by an NSCL team has never been done, and it will not start here. 3-0.

Westside vs Croatia

Experience and composure are the difference here. 1-0.

UVIC Alum vs Gorge

The winners of this game have a chance of going to the final. 2-1.

West Van vs Columbus

Too hard to predict; West Van traditionally definitely has Columbus' number, but Columbus are definitely the on form side. My tongue hurts.

PCOV vs Metro Ford

Staff are reporting that the most dangerous attacking player in Masters soccer is back fit; and that will be the difference. 4-3.

Saltspring Utd. vs Coastal

There is traditionally a big drop down once you get past top (and maybe second) spot in the VISL. Not so much in the FVSL. 2-0.

North Delta vs Saanich

Travel is the big factor here, plus see above. 2-0.

Roma vs Delta

If this game was on the North Shore (I have no idea why a North Shore team would have a home game not on the North Shore), it may have been the difference. But its not. 3-1.

The edge

Apr 20, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok so I will put my 2 cents worth.
PM over HS 3-1
Westside over Croatia 2-1
Uvic over Gorge 2-0
Columbus over WV 1-0
PCOV over MF 1-0
Coastal over Salty 4-3
Saanich over ND 2-0
Roma over Delta 3-2

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll chime in just for the fun and so I can follow this thread. Some great stuff here! I am supremely guilty of not knowing a thing about most, pretty much one foot and 3 toes out of the playing scene, but will give this a go...

Port Moody v Howe Sound
No idea about Howe Sound but took a yellow last year in the FVSL Masters Cup run trying to defend one of those Moody "young vets". And they are better this year, so I'll go 3-0 as well.

Westside v Croatia
It's Westside. Experience and all that. 1-0

UVic Alum v Gorge
Gorge 1-0 in PKs

West Van v Columbus
Another toss up. Going Wops on this one. 1-0 again in PKs

North Delta v Saanich Fusion
These guys I know a bit about; I expect ND to be hungry. They have a strong core, and I expect them to make a bit of a run here. 3-0

PCOV v Metro Ford
Gut tells me Metro Ford 2-0

Saltspring Utd. v Coastal
Coastal is riding high, could be the Cinderella story this year. This draw certainly favors that possibility. Travel a big consideration, going 3-0 Coastal, two very late goals.

Roma v Delta
No idea on either, last I played Delta was about 4 years ago, Dolie cracked two on us from about 35-40 yards out at Winskill park. Bad dreams. Delta 2-0

ASSMAN

Sep 9, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Had to have been an OG
Actually they could've been up by a few in the first half..We came out very flat but somehow got the first goal.. They tied it up with 5 mins to go in the first half.. Our keeper made a great save it went off the post and fell to a wide open player and he slotted in the net.. We took the lead with probably 5 seconds left in the half and that just killed them.. Second half we came out a lot better and kind a took over the game got our third goal about 20 minutes in the second half and another near the end... It was a very clean game and they battled hard till the end. On to next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0