Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Vancouver Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's a little bit harsh I think.

Rapids scored pretty quickly after the Laba send-off and the only guy who Robbo had at his disposal really was Leveron... Rapids score quickly again and there is no point in bringing in Leveron as you needed to push at that point.

I will agree that Manneh for Miller didn't make sense.

Teibert is neither here nor there for me.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
But Canadian kids are suppose to get a spot on the team regardless how good they are.

This is the first game I question the subs from Robinson. I thought before Labba got his second yellow it might have been a good idea to sub him and drop Koffie back as your defensive mid or at the very least leave Koffie on in case Labba picked up his second yellow. I know Koffie wasn't having a great game but without Reo Coker he is your best guy for that DM position. I don't think Koffie is very comfortable when he plays more to the outside role. I felt it last year when Rennie tried and this year he has looked a little lost out there and unsure of himself. Over all I like Robinsons aggressive style but this time it didn't work out. Too bad we didn't have Davidson in there.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
For me the mistake was subbing Koffie and leaving Teibert.

Teibert was total gash. His passing was piss poor all game, and then somehow he was taking free kicks at the end? WTF?

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can't take anything away from the Colorado goals though, as much as I would like to. Those were beauties. The first should definitely be goal of the week.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For me the mistake was subbing Koffie and leaving Teibert.

Teibert was total gash. His passing was piss poor all game, and then somehow he was taking free kicks at the end? WTF?
The one free kick he took from the corner of the 18 and put 20yds over everyone was fcuking terrible. The guy is shite, and looks like a dick.

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The ref did make a couple of big mistakes. The non-call/red card on Laba, and allowing a 5 yard encroachment on one of our free kicks.

BkkQ2pYCIAAmkA_.jpg:large

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was at this game, saw the encroachment and thought the free kick would be retaken as it was so blatant…and then nothing. No reaction from the fans in my section, no retake, nothing. Bizarre. I thought I must have missed a WFC player touch the ball first. Just terrible officiating.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The ref did make a couple of big mistakes. The non-call/red card on Laba, and allowing a 5 yard encroachment on one of our free kicks.

I figured you would have a problem with the red card. Right after it happened I turned to Guner and said but Sliver does that everytime he falls. I couldn't hear if he had the eyeeeeeeee while going down.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This game showed me how good Labba really is. He is fantastic in that DM role...a hard man that does all the dirty work so players like Morales can shine. They had no plan once he walked off. Not sure that ReoC can match Labba in that role. Koffie, I hope, gets the nod.

Otherwise, some questionable subs, but seriously, the red...yes, I had issues with it. The ref completely lost control of the match before that, and even though he hadn't blown the call down yet, he had two chances once doing so to "do the right thing". One, call it the way it should have been called- a foul against Colorado. Two, call the foul against the Caps, but know his number before going to cards, and remember that he's sitting on yellow. Choose at that point to warn the player, and keep the cards in the pocket.

Refs should never have an influence on a match. he did. Huge one.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And Tiebert....if he's not beating guys down the flank and whipping balls in, he's useless.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This game showed me how good Labba really is. He is fantastic in that DM role...a hard man that does all the dirty work so players like Morales can shine. They had no plan once he walked off. Not sure that ReoC can match Labba in that role. Koffie, I hope, gets the nod.

Otherwise, some questionable subs, but seriously, the red...yes, I had issues with it. The ref completely lost control of the match before that, and even though he hadn't blown the call down yet, he had two chances once doing so to "do the right thing". One, call it the way it should have been called- a foul against Colorado. Two, call the foul against the Caps, but know his number before going to cards, and remember that he's sitting on yellow. Choose at that point to warn the player, and keep the cards in the pocket.

Refs should never have an influence on a match. he did. Huge one.
Don't blame the Referee for the red card.
Your saying that he should have remembered that the player was booked and not given a second yellow.
How about the player remembering that he is on a yellow and not handling the ball deliberately?
I do think that he was fouled before handing the ball, but he is not the Referee and he should play to the whistle.
Would he have done that if he was in his own penalty area?
Let the Referee do his job and stick to playing.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I'm saying is that the ref is allowed a certain amount of flexibility and discretion. He chose one of several options available to him at the time, thus became a major factor in the match. There are more than one way to handle situations like that.

That being said, I agree on playing to the whistle, it's something we all teach at an early age, but still...in that timeframe, the ref could have quite easily corrected his own wrong and simply claimed the whistle was for the foul on Labba. Nobody would have second guessed the fact he was a bit late in blowing it down. He could have claimed he was waiting for an advantage to play-out, and quietly warned the player.

There are several scenarios whereby he could have handled it and instead he chose to become a factor in the result. I'm never a fan of officials who make themselves part of the show. You say let them do their job...fine...then do it at least half-assed well, and don't factor into the result.

Anyhow, I'm not defending the player here- he had a severe brain fart...but that doesn't mean I excuse poor decision making on the part of the ref, either.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I'm saying is that the ref is allowed a certain amount of flexibility and discretion. He chose one of several options available to him at the time, thus became a major factor in the match. There are more than one way to handle situations like that.

That being said, I agree on playing to the whistle, it's something we all teach at an early age, but still...in that timeframe, the ref could have quite easily corrected his own wrong and simply claimed the whistle was for the foul on Labba. Nobody would have second guessed the fact he was a bit late in blowing it down. He could have claimed he was waiting for an advantage to play-out, and quietly warned the player.

There are several scenarios whereby he could have handled it and instead he chose to become a factor in the result. I'm never a fan of officials who make themselves part of the show. You say let them do their job...fine...then do it at least half-assed well, and don't factor into the result.

Anyhow, I'm not defending the player here- he had a severe brain fart...but that doesn't mean I excuse poor decision making on the part of the ref, either.
Referee's are being assessed in every game in MLS.
If they do not follow the "Letter of the Law" they will be marked down in the report.
If they get low scores, they will be taken off the list and not be refereeing at the MLS level.
It gets even more strict when it comes to refereeing in CONCACAF. Every decision is scrutinized and if they get any "big decisions" wrong they will not referee again at that level.
The referee was only doing what he had to, when giving a second yellow card out.
If not, he might be out at MLS level.
Unfortunately the days of 'Common Sense" refereeing are gone.
Common sense, is not common.

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
He was a "replacement ref" who worked while the regular MLS refs were on strike, after the strike he was promised 2 games, and this was one of them, not sure if he will get another one now.

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
He got the decision wrong and put the match in disrepute. End of story. The Colorado player had no chance of winning that ball if you watch the replay, he's standing behind the whitecaps player. 100% he can't challenge for that fairly.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
He got the decision wrong and put the match in disrepute. End of story. The Colorado player had no chance of winning that ball if you watch the replay, he's standing behind the whitecaps player. 100% he can't challenge for that fairly.
I agree with you that I also think he got the decision wrong.
The Referee saw it different and did not think it was a foul. He may have seen it from a different angle to what we saw on TV, or he thought is was simply not a foul.
If you analyze the game at every decision, there were probably 5, or 6 more incidents when he could have called a foul, but nobody is talking about them, as they just go UN-noticed, as nothing major happens because of the missed calls.
The reason everyone is talking about this, is because the Whitecaps player handled the ball deliberately and got his second yellow card in the process. If he hadn't done that, nobody would be talking about an irrelevant missed call.
The Referee saw that. He cannot let him off with it, because he is already on a yellow.
What would we be saying if it were the other way around and an opposing player was sent off for doing the same thing?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jigsaw- nobody is talking about them because none of his other obvious misses- both ways- had a deciding impact on the match. Hell, there was a blatant foul minutes after the one in discussion that should have gone against the Cap's right around the top of the 18...the Ref let that one go, and I can only guess he let it go as a late make-good decision.

Anyhow, I do agree that Labba should not have handled the ball. It was a stupid moment for a player that has otherwise shown to be (for me) so far this year's most important signing, and (otherwise) most intelligent player. He's been a rock in that middle, the key to the Caps defending better this year. I'm pissed because the ref missed the call entirely. I suppose more pissed than I am at the player, who should have played to the whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0