Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Vancouver Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still seems a bit early to write off Omar Salgado. He basically lost two years of prime development/progression years to injury. It's not easy mentally to deal with that, then come back and not get to play.

Look at Aaron Ramsey last year he was garbage, no confidence and was being widely criticized as shite after returning from injury. Wenger stuck with him and he was the best player in the EPL the first half of the season.

Youngsters these days don't feel they should have to wait and develop. They think they have it figured out now. Most don't obviously but that sure is the attitude. I play on a team of 20 year olds and its frustrating, it really is. You try and teach and give advice, positive/negative/positive but a lot of them have a back up against the wall attitude and all they hear is criticism and not people trying to make them better. Sometimes It feels like an AND 1 basketball showcase with sick moves and lots of speed but nothing that actually works in a game against an organized team and good players. The thing is if eventually the light does turn on and all that ability can shine with the knowledge and buy in you have yourself a great player. That's why you don't write young players off, maybe Charlston will jump start his career.

Last edited:

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Salgato and all the youngsters need three tom four years to fully develop as MLS players. Some will never get there. It is their inability to work hard to improve and in some cases over working making dumb mistakes. Movement off the ball is a hardest to learn some guys, some think they don't have to do it. Man tracking and staying in defensive zone is also a big deal for some youngsters. I see caps tied again. Good on Robbo and his guys. Any time you play away from home and you get a point it's a plus for a young side like Caps.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I like this Jigsaw guy......certainly knows his stuff. One would think he has coached at a high level. :) Keep it going, Jigsaw. You're spot on with your assessments.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still seems a bit early to write off Omar Salgado. He basically lost two years of prime development/progression years to injury. It's not easy mentally to deal with that, then come back and not get to play.

Look at Aaron Ramsey last year he was garbage, no confidence and was being widely criticized as shite after returning from injury. Wenger stuck with him and he was the best player in the EPL the first half of the season.

Youngsters these days don't feel they should have to wait and develop. They think they have it figured out now. Most don't obviously but that sure is the attitude. I play on a team of 20 year olds and its frustrating, it really is. You try and teach and give advice, positive/negative/positive but a lot of them have a back up against the wall attitude and all they hear is criticism and not people trying to make them better. Sometimes It feels like an AND 1 basketball showcase with sick moves and lots of speed but nothing that actually works in a game against an organized team and good players. The thing is if eventually the light does turn on and all that ability can shine with the knowledge and buy in you have yourself a great player. That's why you don't write young players off, maybe Charlston will jump start his career.
You can't compare Ramsey to Salgado. Ramsey played a lot of games at top level before getting injured. Salgado has done nothing yet. There are thousands like him who have all the excuses in the world. He's just not done it and in my opinion , move on and get another player.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Salgato and all the youngsters need three tom four years to fully develop as MLS players. Some will never get there. It is their inability to work hard to improve and in some cases over working making dumb mistakes. Movement off the ball is a hardest to learn some guys, some think they don't have to do it. Man tracking and staying in defensive zone is also a big deal for some youngsters. I see caps tied again. Good on Robbo and his guys. Any time you play away from home and you get a point it's a plus for a young side like Caps.
Rubbish.
Don't waste your time waiting 3 years to develop. That's what the residency is for.
If a player does not progress, like Salgado, cut your losses and move on.
There are plenty waiting in the wings.
I can't believe people are still talking about him and suggesting more time.
Robbo shipped him out because he threw his dummy out of the pram and started to sulk.
Don't need players around like that.
He getting overpaid for what he has delivered.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I like this Jigsaw guy......certainly knows his stuff. One would think he has coached at a high level. :) Keep it going, Jigsaw. You're spot on with your assessments.
Thanks Captain Shamrock.
I have been blessed with this amazing powers that I can tell what sort of person is typing these shite responses.
Let me try with you.
You are a left footer with blistering pace.
Played at a high level, possibly for your Country.
Played for a Pro Club.
Likes to have the odd Guiness.
Has moved on to Coaching.
Knows the game very well.
Needs to improve his dress sense when on the sidelines.
How's that for starters?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jigsaw I agree with your post about Salgado, but not about the squad rotation and/or resting "assets" like Jay Demerit.

MLS is a funny league and cannot be compared to domestic professional leagues around the world, save a schedule style comparison to a team that might be involved in their league, a cup and a european tourney like Champions League.

in MLS you have probably the largest land mass to cover travel wise, which does take a toll. Moving through 3 time zones, etc. You also get spells with 2 games in a week etc.

Now after 2 games? Perhaps "resting" Demerit is a bit weak as far as choice of words, but they could say leaving him home to deal with personal matters, like plugging his lovely wife, or "squad rotation" would have been a better choice, perception wise. O'Brien and Demerit are older and more prone to break downs- but way more valuable imho than "younger guys who can just play every week"

As for criticizing teams for not travelling out west to play on turf against us (Beckham, Henry, etc) who cares, it's an advantage ffs. If the competition has DP's and other better players staying home rather than travelling all this way the Caps chances to earn the 3 pts on the day increases imho, and I don't think anyone in Boston was buying their ticket at the opportunity to see Demerit.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Captain Shamrock.
I have been blessed with this amazing powers that I can tell what sort of person is typing these shite responses.
Let me try with you.
Played for a Pro Club.
How's that for starters?

Not sure I can believe that one

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Captain Shamrock.
Let me try with you.
Played for a Pro Club.
How's that for starters?

Blistering pace? Do you mean the chaffing between his legs?:cigar:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Salgado...before this season started, I was excited to see what he could bring to the table. He's got all the tools and a tall, lanky body, still growing and adding muscle. But, the sulking and attitude issues during camp are career killers. The kid may never make it as a pro if the word out on him is "all the tools, no tool box".

As for Demerit...I think travelling to the East Coast to play on an old artificial turf had as much to do w/ the decision as any. I doubt he needed rest, I just think they don't see the benefit of risking it. Bloody hell, the guy has to play 1/2 his games on his own shite turf field, my thinking is I'd want to limit him as well. It doesn't look good this early in the season, but...the fact he is just over a year from a catastrophic Achilles tear, I'd be limiting his appearances on turf, away from home, as much as possible. Which is a totally different dynamic that pros here have to deal with that they don't in other domestic pro leagues.

Besides, it's pretty clear that next season they will need to commit to a much younger starting combination at CB. From that standpoint, I like the idea of bringing Leveron around, and he's too good for Div. 2. He's a valuable back-up for either Demerit or Obrien, and a nice player to watch. So why can't this guy be slotted in at LB? Harvey was a winning slot machine again, giving everything away. NE attacked his side with frequent success...and with Beitashour being so damn solid at RB, we're going to see teams attacking that left flank all season long. It was predictable, and alarming.

Somebody break it down for me...I know you want some pace at those back positions, but look at Leveron, the guy is a stud. I'm sure he could handle the pace, make his runs, get better crosses in, and recover with no issue.

What am I missing?

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there anyone at Whitecaps organization who will tell Teibert that a hair style does not make a player!!! He really looks ridiculous and should stop making a fool of himself.
Anyway, I will agree with anyone who'd tell me: "Who cares how he looks if he plays well" but the point is that he runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off so I have no idea how he makes constantly first 11. Pay attention to his game - it is still "run everywhere, requesting the ball, then passing the ball immediately to the teammate who is 5 ft away or trying to send a long ball which is so inaccurate, then moving into another position (I do not think he is one of those "free" players allowed to move all around the pitch so the question ii why he is constantly doing ti), grabbing every single ball either for a free kick or throw in,...". Simply, the way he plays does not make any sense to me and he is definitely not a "First 11 caliber". I know I am not the only who thinks this way about Teibert since he annoys a lot of people with the way he plays and also how he is trying to get attention with his weird and ridiculous hair styles.

By the way, a win (at home) and two ties (on the road) are perfect start for Whitecaps. No complaints re 5 (out of 9) points from me.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about Dean slotting in at left Back, guy is an athlete, big, fast and a nice touch, I see good things for him, if he ever gets the chance. However with Harvey already picking up 2 yellows in 3 games, it shouldn't be long.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dean is more unknown at this point...not enough first team minutes to make a judgement, but w/ Leveron, we've seen consistent good performances. Not that Dean couldn't...his cameo debut was pretty good.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Captain Shamrock.
Let me try with you.
Played for a Pro Club.
How's that for starters?

Well......blistering yes....pace no. My dress sense is all depending on the situation.....so that's up for debate. The odd Guinness...very accuarate. I might have one every six months. As for the onside kicks, TheRob, it will be better this year. I promise.

dutch08

Sep 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Harvey has something on the caps management. How he was considered an MVP last season is beyond me. Leveron, Dean, Adekugbe I think would all be better choices.

Didn't see the last game, but from what I hear our midfield was pretty bad. Teibert is strong when the centre mids (Reo C) are on.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The dude is dating a former American Idol finalist - Caps management are smitten.

Clearly.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teibert is strong when the centre mids (Reo C) are on.

Can you elaborate a little bit how Teibert is strong and what he brings to the team? For me, this year he is even more out of place since Whitecaps have more skilled players now (Laba, Fernandes, Morales) and his "running around" type of game looks more and more ridiculous. Whatever Teibert does Koffie will do better (yes, Koffie, who obviously lost his place in the middle with all those midfielders added so Robinson should be looking to find a place for him outside instead of Teibert).

Also, Manneh proved (to me) with one game in Seattle that he is a lot more worth as a center forward than Mattocks. Manneh did not need a lot to score one in San Jose too. The problem with Manneh is that he was pushed too often to play outside (while center forward is his best position). OK, last year Whitecaps had Camilo but this year he should be definitely given a chance (instead of Mattocks who has had already enough time to prove what he is worth and I really cannot say a lot positive things about him at all). Mattocks is trying harder this season, no question about that but his job is to score goals and he had 3 games, 3 starts, 0 goals.

Hurtado will never be a player. His first touch is brutal and he should be sent to Charleston too. All of us here know at least 10 local guys (VMSL) who are better than Hurtado so the question is how he is still with the club (obviously somebody at the Whitecaps top level does not want to admit he made a mistake choosing Hurtado).

Leveron has been consistently solid so I agree with the others who are saying that maybe he should get a chance as a full back (so he can play more). The issue with him as a full back is that he is not that type of player to move down the line (as Harvey does). Leveron is a "stay at home" defenceman and that will probably never change.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RL...agree on Leveron and his tendencies (see last year’s horrible CMF experiment by Rennie), but don't we need to at least TRY and improve on Harvey? My feeling is that Leveron can cover the ground just as easily, and let's face it...left or RB are vastly easier positions to play than in the middle. That's the truth of the matter. Fitness and pace are the big assets here, then obviously intelligence and creativity. I just think that Leveron is young enough and obviously fit enough to learn the position quickly. We've been missing Rochat there ever since he was moved, and my feeling is that his best replacement is already here. Like Dutch said- either Leveron, or Dean, or Adekugbe. Personally, I'd like to see Leveron there, just from the standpoint of playing time alone. This guy is our future CB, he needs to play...but he won't as long as Demerit and O'Brien are healthy and being effective.

Also, how has the NRC concussion not gotten play here? Come on boys, we need some speculation! Davey Norman had a great one liner this morning on the team, "More like Nigel Rum-and-Coker!"

This is bizarre. He had to be out in the wee hours Saturday night, but did he stumble over a bike rack, or into someone’s fist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0