Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 BC Masters Provincial Cup, Early Discussion and Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
As we draw near to the end of March, the following sides have qualified for the BCs:

VMSL (6 spots):

Surrey United
Metro Ford Wolves
West Van FC
Vancouver Firefighters

Still in the running are Columbus FC, Sapperton Rovers, West Side (strong favouites to qualify), Richmond Utd.. Cliff Ave. Utd., and a few other Div 1 teams. Big cup game between Metro Ford and Cliff this eve will have a big effect on the fate of Columbus and/or Sapp, and of course Cliff Ave.

FVSL (3 spots):

SFC Rangers
Peace Arch United
I believe cup winner or someone else on the count back, but things look awfully good for Aldergrove who plays Peace Arch tomorrow in the cup final in the FVSL.

NSCL (3 spots):

Nordic FC
NorVan
Coveside FC

Staff have heard rumours that at least 1 of these 2 sides does not want to play in the Provincial Cup.

VISL (4 spots):

Undetermined. Can any correspondent report in and help? Who is who over there?

Draw is April 17.

Comments?

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sir M

Richmond from your league is very much alive???? (Westside in the Cup)

Aldergrove is the third spot from our league.

Just keeping you on top of things big guy..............

Now i have to go and fight the FVSL allstars battle................

See you soon Sir M

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I stand corrected Coach, although now that I think of it, West Side at some point in time must defeat the yet-to-be-determined 3rd place Div 1 team for the right to meet Richmond.

PS: Nice Avatar.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At what point do those running the Provincial Cup tell the leagues to get there eligible teams sorted out? I mean for the Westside side of the draw it is a bit ridiculous now isn't it?

~J~

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
A bit of an update re Provincial Cup qualifiers:

Qualified:

FVSL (3 spots)

Surrey FC Rangers (League Champs)
Peace Arch United (see below)
Aldergrove United ...one of this team or PAU won the Masters Cup, anyone know which one?

NSCL (3 spots)

Nordic FC (League and Kilby Cup Champs)
NorVan
Coveside FC

VMSL (6 spots)

Surrey Utd
Metro Ford Wolves
West Van FC
Vancouver Firefighters

Metro Ford's 2-1 victory Friday eliminates Cliff Ave. from qualification. Sapperton's 2-0 defeat of Richmond Utd. Friday combined with their 4-1 defeat of PCOV today means that Columbus and Sapperton are tied on points, and there will have to be some sort of tiebreaker between the two to determine which of these two sides goes to the BCs. The other berth will be determined in Cup play: West Side, Richmond, or the 3rd place Div 1 side will get that berth should they get through to the semi to face Metro Ford. Inter, Wickham, PCOV and SFU from the Prem. division are not qualifying this year, along with one of Columbus or Sapperton.

VISL (4 spots)

As the norm, no info from the Island yet, but according to their league standings, the following sides are in contention (quite a few games to go over there, and staff are not sure which of the numerous cups the Masters are involved in, or how the VISL qualification system works):

UVic Alum: 41 pts
Nanaimo Utd: 35 pts
VicWest: 32 pts
Gorge 22 pts

It looks as if Vantreights may have a chance as well.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
To quote Whataboutbob:

The North Shore League has only 14 teams in their league but manage to get 3 spots. VMSL has 42 teams for only 6. 4 spots for 27 teams on the Island. The other 3 go to the Valley and they have only 8 teams! Can this be correct?

It should be:
VMSL - 7
Island - 5
Valley - 2
N. Shore - 2

WAB:

You actually make a very good point if they were to base the draw strictly on the size of the league membership. However, there are many teams that are in (at least the VMSL) that do not have a chance to qualify for the BCs. So consider this:

The FVSL yes is a very small league, but they have but one (top) division, and their top teams can compete in our VMSL Masters Premier Div (see SU's results of this year, and the FVSL's recent track record in the BCs).

I say they keep their 3 spots.

The NSCL is a larger league, but most of their 2nd division gets beaten up by at least 6 plus goals by the Div 1 sides on a regular basis. They have not fared well in the BCs in recent memory, in fact I think, other than a side that has since left who made a few forays into the advanced rounds, have but one victory in the Provincials in recent years, I think it was against Lobbans.

I say they get 2 spots.

Now I know less about the VISL, and they have from time to time done OK on home turf, but are they more competetive than the FVSL? I don't think so.

I say 3 spots.

That would give the VMSL the 8 spots I previously referred to, because probably the top 8 sides out of this league could either win or do some serious damage in the BCs.

VMSL: 8 spots.

chooch

Apr 2, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some well made points Sir M. Certainly you have to look at recent history when considering any changes. Based on showings by all leagues in the recent past, this would warrant the allotted spots as you suggest. There is no reason to randomly alot a certain # of Provincial spots to teams who realistically haven't "earned" or deserve them. That being said, since the decisions are made by individuals who don't bring logic into the equation, it'll be status quo.

barney

Jul 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Greetings from the island. The Master's Cup Competition is Tony Grover Cup and the island qualification looks like this: 2 finalist from Tony Grover Cup - UVic and Vantreights, and the two top teams from the league standings. A few games still to go to finalize. Nanaimo looks like they have a shot at it.
Weather has caused many cancellations this season.

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
TV: Can't get your question....Please try again.

On a different note, and after much thought and post reading, I think it is a complete joke that WFC hasn't played in a few weeks. Furthermore, the Bulldogs playing them?? Are you serious. No disrespect but this is league cup.

Taxman: Yes, you guys wouldn't be in it with different rules. However, you are an exception(in more ways than one). I think you would rather play Inter or Columbus/Sapperton than the third place team from the North Shore, In fact, other than "Pegasus" I believe NO North Shore team has even made it to the quarters....Fraser Valley? Keep it at two. Bang on Sir M. The island?? Maybe one or two that's it. Our VMSL SHOULD HAVE 8 spots. Guaranteed. And until they do this, our league will not be credible. I would like to ask both Columbus and Sapperton how they feel that one of them do not make it considering they have had a good season...Yes, I said that Hose. And, you'll get a Freybe or someone else in it. JOKE.

Bitter? Just a little but we'll be back with a few more bodies that will add some depth to our team. As stated in a previous post, it sure would be nice to know the rules before the season. For example, are we adding any more fricken teams next year?? SFC or Norvan or Aldergrove?? On to Nations Cup first. Oh, and by the way, ANY VMSL contingent CAN win the bc's.

SCK

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think we should play all games on Friday night as well - I hear the over 40's thing is gaining steam - with some grandfathering for under 40's. If that happens its a whole new story on BC's/Westerns etc. ....... not sure why we other with the island teams - the only chance they have is by using their own refs .......(like the FVSL - right Coach)

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The FVSL yes is a very small league, but they have but one (top) division, and their top teams can compete in our VMSL Masters Premier Div (see SU's results of this year, and the FVSL's recent track record in the BCs).

I say they keep their 3 spots.

Fraser Valley? Keep it at two. Bang on Sir M.

Okey dokey then...

I see that raging hard on typing disorder hasn't subsided. ;)

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
TV: Can't get your question....Please try again.

On a different note, and after much thought and post reading, I think it is a complete joke that WFC hasn't played in a few weeks. Furthermore, the Bulldogs playing them?? Are you serious. No disrespect but this is league cup.

Taxman: Yes, you guys wouldn't be in it with different rules. However, you are an exception(in more ways than one). I think you would rather play Inter or Columbus/Sapperton than the third place team from the North Shore, In fact, other than "Pegasus" I believe NO North Shore team has even made it to the quarters....Fraser Valley? Keep it at two. Bang on Sir M. The island?? Maybe one or two that's it. Our VMSL SHOULD HAVE 8 spots. Guaranteed. And until they do this, our league will not be credible. I would like to ask both Columbus and Sapperton how they feel that one of them do not make it considering they have had a good season...Yes, I said that Hose. And, you'll get a Freybe or someone else in it. JOKE.

SCK

SCK,

Far be it from me to agree with you, but this time I do.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So anyway, I understand that Columbus defeated Sapperton by a 3-1 score this morning in the playoff game for the final BC spot for the VMSL. So the VMSL qualifiers are in alphabetical order:

Columbus FC
Metro Ford Wolves
Surrey United
Vancouver Firefighters
West Side
West Van FC

NSCL qualifiers in alphabetical order are:

Coveside FC
Nordic
Nor Van FC

FVSL qualifiers are (same criteria):

Aldergrove Utd
Peace Arch Utd
Surrey FC Rangers

Any news on the VISL front?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some Dream Match-ups before the draw is done this week.

Mighty Surrey Rangers vs. BRM Surrey United would be a classic, the two old rivals facing off would be great for the tourney.

West Van vs. Norvan FC would be a great North Shore Derby, I am sure many have played against each other lots over the years, but to see who goes on in the B.C.'s would be great. (are any of the NSCL teams strong enough to win it this year, tee might know).

Or how about a nice road trip for any of the teams to the Island, thats a dream match-up.

hos

dickens_cider

Aug 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hos, any team that gets to travel to the Island and spend the weekend at the Sticky Wicket aka the Strathcona is a dream match up.

Nothing like a sticky wicket weekend :bronco:

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The only thing that beats a Stickey Wicket weekend is if you don't have to play the day after....bad enough golfing the next day..nevermind playing soccer...speaking from many years of experience(golf wise)....

Cheers!

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes the good old infamous Draw???

We have been in the show twice now and both times have always had a tough draw.

I would'nt expect anything else again this year?

We play Aldergrove tomorrow night in Aldergrove to finally finish off the FVSL season.

If we draw a home match? We will play Saturday at 12 noon.

Here's to drawing Big Red or the F F in the first round........:rolleyes: (You know it's going to happen)

Good luck boys!

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coach can you change that time - I coach my kids baseball team and they play at 10 or 1:30 on Saturdays.
Thanks.
...unless of course this is your ploy to get me out of the line-up.... I am sure RF will be "working" and chomping at the bit (of chocolate cake) to get going.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But Jenny and Kirstie said I'm allowed to eat chocolate cake. :p

Looking forward to the draw boys.
We'll see if we can get a call into Regs and Sir M from Aldergrove after our match.

There is for sure going to be a couple of good ones right from the get go.

Here's to the VMSLers all drawing each other first round...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0