Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps USSDA - where does the BCSA PTP go from here?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The question here needs to be altered to ask "Now that Whitecaps u16 and u18 are in USSDA what will come of the PTP"?

In the end...not too many BC kids will be on those u16-u18 (I'd guess 50% of the squad??). I am not sure the PTP will be affected greatly.....guess it depends on how many kids make Whitecaps, and how many of the "best of the rest" are interested in the financial and time committment involved with PTP on top of BCPL (and those metro kids that tryout). BCPL is geared toward allowing kids time to play PTP and NTC.....and if, let's say 8-10 kids from BC make the Caps u16-u18 squads, that is plenty of talented kids left to represent the province.....

(though I don't think having PTP is necessary)

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now official...

Whitecaps FC to join United States Soccer Development Academy | Vancouver Whitecaps FC

I've been watching this league since it's inception and have seen a couple of games. I'm happy the Caps are in as this will give our youth players an opportunity to make reasonable jumps to the MLS like American youth players are. It definitely gives us HPL coaches something we want to push our players on to!

Some concerns are:
  • It will work really well if they use local youth players but that doesn't seem to be their highest priority.
  • Will University scholarships for local players will be dependent on whether players went through this program? If they don't fit into the philosophy of whoever does Whitecaps scouting and selecting, then they aren't good enough? In saying that, I have lots of confidence in Craig and the Dutch guy but it's only one philosophy and not everyone has the same. Spain compared to Germany...
  • I was really hoping that a Canadian version of a DA system would be built by WFC, TFC, IdM, FCE to incorporate top youth clubs in the country but like when the MLS came to Canada, they just don't want to take that initiative. Again, Canada is reliant on the American system where one or maybe 3 clubs will be involved. We're not catching up to the US. Hopefully, USSDA will be interested in more Canadian clubs...
  • Are they going to join the ECNL so the girls program has something to play in?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, ideally a national league can be formed. It will all get held up though while Alberta Soccer and CSA move through various reforms. Potentially BCPL can be the flagship "national" league conference. IE, a Canada SYL or USSDA type league. In my opinion. As they have some standards that all clubs must meet. BCPL-issues discussion aside, it's a step towards unification and development standards nationally.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0